Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

I am perfectly fine with the amount of romance that is shown between Castle and Beckett. I do not need to see them in bed unless they are asleep and get a call about a case or are just talking about their day or something.  Hugs and kisses are more than enough for a regular network show.

They can be shown as a couple in love without being inappropriate about it.

• Love 1

Love the Castle character. Am not that fond of Beckett. Would like to see Castle stay a PI and writer. Want Martha and Alexis around. Don't want any Castle babies. So all and all, I am so far away from the vision of the show, I hope there is something better on in the time slot on an alternative station next season.

Edited by pcta
  • Love 3

Love the Castle character. Am not that found of Beckett. Would like to see Castle stay a PI and writer. Want Martha and Alexis around. Don't want any Castle babies. So all and all, I am so far away from the vision of the show, I hope there is something better on in the time slot on an alternative station next season.

LOL......Yep,that's as far from vision as you can get.

1. I love Beckett. Castle is a man child most of the time.

2. Hated the PI arc. Couldn't end quick enough for this fan.

3. Martha and Alexis are tedious at times but part of the original cast. Plus mother and  daughter. What are they going to do with them?

4. Not wanting any Castle babies is actually a popular opinion. I want a PG scare at least.

• Love 1

My UO: I'm liking this season---at least the episodes I've caught---more than the past several.

UOs within that UO: I don't care about Castle/Beckett as a couple and find Beckett a joyless, flat, brittle character who's pretty unconvincing as a detective, but I just love that we're finally past the contrived 'will they/won't they' angst and other canon fodder love interests and manufactured doubts.

Honestly, I wish the whole series had been about a married couple who solves mysteries together a la Nick and Nora...though Nora had far more personality than Kate ;) 

A pathetically shallow UO: Both Stana and Nathan look pretty terrible this season. Are the hair and makeup people on strike?! ;) Then again, I haven't liked Beckett's hair since S1.  

• Love 4

I've periodically tried, but since roughly mid season three I've found this show unwatchable, and it's completely down to Marlowe et ux and Nathan Fillion. The former for their commitment to "the dance" and for recreating their show as fanfiction written by thirteen year olds* and for bragging about being a ripoff of the worst aspect of Bones. The latter for being an absolute douchebag in defense of his character's decline into a sexless adolescent Golden Retriever and (which I will never forgive them for) the crappy parent of an awful sitcom child. God forbid they offend their target tweens by showing Castle behaving as though teenagers don't always know best - like he did in season 1 - instead of grovelling and apologizing every time Alexis has a tantrum in defense of her crappy life choices.

*Except that I'm fairly sure actual thirteen year olds would have written something vaguely original, granted they can't show any of the really interesting fic tropes to people who didn't care enough to change the channel after DWTS.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Then again, I haven't liked Beckett's hair since S1.

I don't know if this an unpopular opinion, but I liked Beckett much better in Seasons 1 and 2 than I have in later seasons. Her shorter hair and less glamorous look went hand-in-hand with a more vulnerable and likable Beckett.

• Love 6

God yes. I could buy that Early Beckett had depth and an interesting inner life, and even that she was a little shy and socially awkward. She was naturally gorgeous but didn't seem like the kind of woman who would spent countless hours on her multi-colored beauty pageant hair extensions and applying a weirdly excessive amount of makeup before teetering off on high heels to her job as an NYPD detective. Didn't she not even own a really nice dress in S1, leading Castle to give her one for some affair they attended?! Suddenly she became overly glammed up (ironically, I found her MUCH prettier before). Just to be clear, I am ALL for the idea that women can and should look however the heck they want to, regardless of profession, but fashion conscious, high maintenance, overly done up Kate just felt so inconsistent with who we had initially been led to believe she was.

Far worse, her character became more and more plastic. She became a male writers' comic book fantasy rather than a real woman----super sexy, sassy, preternaturally knowledgeable about virtually EVERYTHING, competent in every conceivable area and kickass at absolutely EVERYTHING, insanely tough while still being the ultimate in femininity, adored by every guy, the best EVER at her job and capable of intimidating even the most hardened felons (riiiight). She just feels so brittle and unreal to me...honestly, comparing her to a comic book character may be giving her too much credit, as some comic characters have more flaws and layers! I just find her so dull, unsympathetic and unrelatable. It doesn't help that I hold the UO that the actress is horribly miscast. And it sucks, because during the first season I had such high hopes that I'd love and even admire Kate Beckett. Now she doesn't even seem like a remotely real person to me. 

• Love 7

I like Stana Katic, but I have to say, the things I liked about her character have largely been retconned in favor of a Beckett who would be willing to put up with five years of "the dance." I feel like the same has happened to Castle, honestly, although at least Stana Katic wasn't out there insulting the intelligence of anyone who didn't think it was a good idea.

• Love 1

If the last few episodes are what season 8 would be like, I'd much rather the show end and read well-written fanfic. At least most of that makes sense and is true to the characters. If I were Stana, I would run.

• Love 1
(edited)

This may be the most unpopular opinion I've seen here so far, so please be gentle, but I actually don't mind Castle's infamous "douchebag" arc at the end of S4. For one thing, it was mercifully short-lived :) For another, there happens to be other things about those episodes that I really enjoy. And while I'm not defending Castle here, I do kind of understand the impulse to back away and try (unsuccessfully) to go back to being who he used to be. Maybe it's just that my expectations of those episodes are so low that I can't help but be pleasantly surprised the few times I've rewatched them :)  

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 2

I didn't mind it either.  It had a lot of moments where I just wanted to reach into the TV and get the characters to just talk already, which is a good thing when it only lasts a few episodes. (Annoying if it lasts a lot longer though).  I think both characters made mistakes during that arc, but I understood what was driving each of them.

And it inspired so much good fan fiction too.  That's one thing I've noticed about this summer....the lack of any kind of cliffhanger has lessened the number of good hiatus fanfics.

• Love 1

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone, Kave Dweller! It was definitely frustrating, but not inexplicable or even out of character IM(U)O.

I've spent the past couple of days delighting at how much more I enjoy S3 and S4 now that I don't have to wait a minimum of one week in between episodes---stuff with Castle and Beckett's respective cannon fodder significant others and their reluctance to finally move forward with each other seems to drag on for a lot less time now than it did then...especially when one can fast forward through some of it :)

And since I'm in the right place, I'll add the UO that I'm finding I actually get where a lot their reluctance to start dating each other comes from through S3-S4 even though I fully understand why it annoys many shippers to have to watch it. 

-I never want to see Caskett babies on the show.

-I don't mind if Caskett breaks up

-I like the dark eps and would prefer the show to be drama over comedy.

-I like when Beckett goes down the rabbit hole.

-I'd prefer Beckett to remain a detective.

-I liked Tory too

-I love the "case" and Beckett more than Caskett.

-I thought the writers would fix 623.

-At this point in time and it may change today, tomorrow, middle of season - I don't have to have a happy ending as long as Beckett is left standing.

• Love 2
-I like the dark eps and would prefer the show to be drama over comedy.

Hee---I actually have the opposite UO: I highly prefer when the show embraces its strengths as unashamedly fun fluff, the modern 'screwball comedy' about murder and mayhem that it's IMO destined to be ;) For one thing, it seems nearly every other crime show of the past couple of decades has been grim and self-serious, so Castle's energy, comedy and witty charm is the reason I stayed with it even when aspects of the show drive me nuts: it's almost the only game in town for those of us who love lighter, slightly 'cozier' mysteries. Beyond that, I just think the writers and actors happen to do a lot better with the lighter, more fun and comedic material than the angst-soaked drama.

Here's another very UO that came up in another thread: I don't necessarily agree with the very popular opinion that the first two seasons are the best. Don't get me wrong---I totally understand why many feel that way, but I actually hold the UO of not fully liking and connecting with Rick Castle until S3, which makes me a lot more partial to that season. In S3, he was still witty and charming and full of life loving enthusiasm but a little more mature, serious when appropriate and less over-the-top cocky. I've got an admitted pet peeve about overly cocky people (in fiction and in real life!), so toning down that aspect of Castle even a little bit made a big difference in my overall fondness for the show and the degree to which I rooted for him.  And I'm so relieved when Castle/Beckett are finally together so that we can dispense with the 'will they/won't they' angst and the pointless random love interests that it automatically elevates S5 in my estimation as well :)   

Hee---I actually have the opposite UO: I highly prefer when the show embraces its strengths as unashamedly fun fluff, the modern 'screwball comedy' about murder and mayhem that it's IMO destined to be ;) For one thing, it seems nearly every other crime show of the past couple of decades has been grim and self-serious, so Castle's energy, comedy and witty charm is the reason I stayed with it even when aspects of the show drive me nuts: it's almost the only game in town for those of us who love lighter, slightly 'cozier' mysteries. Beyond that, I just think the writers and actors happen to do a lot better with the lighter, more fun and comedic material than the angst-soaked drama.

I don't really rate the "dark" episodes, at least not the more recent outings that feel overblown, over hyped and strangely emotionally flat, they're trying their best but it doesn't work. When I want dark I really want dark, I grew up on gritty, grim British crime dramas and whilst not expecting that from an ABC network show like Castle I don't even want it to attempt to get heavy and drama ridden, other shows do it far better.

The reason Castle has lasted as long as it has is because I believe fans enjoy seeing Fillion having fun and using his charm and charisma to beguile the prickly, more serious, hard to reach Beckett, then she succumbed of course but that dynamic is still there in a way with the comedy and general lightness being the driving force. Trying to turn Castle into a more drama laden vehicle would be a big mistake in my view and they would lose more of an audience than they would gain. 

Fun, fluff and charm that's Castle at it's best when it's not pretending to be something it isn't.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

This one seems super unpopular: I actually kind of enjoyed Demming. Of all the annoyingly contrived, cannon fodder significant others who popped up as obstacles, he was actually my favorite, if only by default. I never could stand Josh, the douchey---excuse me, 'cool'---motorcycle riding surgeon, Gina, or even Meredith if we count her in this category. And IMO Beckett had less than no chemistry with the ex we met in S1's Little Girl Lost. Mike Royce doesn't even really exist in my world :) I at least got why she found Demming appealing and might have clicked with him...but that may be in large part because I happen to find the actor attractive!  

• Love 2

...and I hate myself for this one, but I think Beckett's first-half-of-S2 mullet has kind of grown on me :) 

It's refreshing to see someone take a different approach when discussing it other than the tired "God, that mullet was so bad." Which feels like such an old, worn-out complaint from this fandom. 

Edited by S55

I really only hate on the mullet because I have a personal vendetta on mullets ... I sported one myself in 1992 and I cringe now. To be fair, I was 6 and my mom says I wanted long hair but didn't want to take care of it, so this was the compromise. If I could go back, I'd shave my head before going with the mullet again.

Mostly I wonder how they decided on that hairstyle - Stana says it was the in between of when the pageboy from the pilot was growing out into the long hair she wanted, but I don't know if I buy it because her hair was so cute toward the end of season 1. Why trim the front? And I think it aged her. She was supposed to be ~30 (I think Stana was that age, too?), but she was rocking the middle aged mom look. It was confusing.

I also like Demming (I really like the triangle and the angst they had going at the end of S2), but that partly might be because he's the only SO that really got any sort of development. Josh could have been a cardboard cutout. And I feel badly for Demming. He was a nice guy who got screwed just because he wasn't Castle. I mean, that works great for my love of Castle/Beckett, but I did feel bad for him when Beckett broke up with him.

• Love 1

Here's my UO:

I like 'Dreamworld' and thought it was a good companion to 'Valkryie'. I especially liked the actor playing Rasheed. He was confused,fearful, and a tad angry. The actor played him very subtly - which was perfect.

As the MIL to a Navy medic assigned to a Special Ops Marine unit, it's not outside tge realm of possibility to consider an operative as a casualty if it's for the greater good. . Many, many people have sacrificed their lives to better others. Farah should've been celebrated, but it does happen.

Edited by roamyn

I guess this falls under unpopular opinions. I noticed on the Elimination thread the first show out was Hedgefund Homeboys in season 1. I couldn't remember it so I watched it this morning. I liked it. It has been a while since I watched season one. I forgot how much more fun it was. I am wondering why HH is so unpopular with folks. 

I once found Nathan attractive, except for his pudgy fingers, but the more I learn about him, the less attractive he becomes to me...plus he hasn't aged well.

I cannot stand the Alexis character because she is a whinny spoiled brat; Molly doesn't seem to be much better.

• Love 2

First, I don't like the way he charges so much for autographs, pictures, etc at comicons. Yes, that is how it is done, but I don't have to like it, especially when he tweets people that he won't sign autographs at the airport. Also, the comicons are all about a dead show and Castle is an afterthought. Again, his choice, but also mine to decide how I feel about it. Then there was the walkout to get himself a better work schedule. I know the hissy fit was just a rumor, but given the direction the show has taken, I suspect there is more than a little truth to it. Although I don't specifically follow his twitter and Instagram, I have some friends who do and they have shared them with me. I won't go into detail, but it is not hard to surmise some of what was going on. Also, the way he slaps people up side the head and other juvenile things so see on vid clips, etc really annoys me. So it is a mix of things; some things some may enjoy, but I don't.

• Love 1

First, I don't like the way he charges so much for autographs, pictures, etc at comicons. Yes, that is how it is done, but I don't have to like it, especially when he tweets people that he won't sign autographs at the airport.

Not to defend this because I know he's one of the more expensive con autographs, but this makes it sound like that's the only place for a chance at his autograph, which I don't think is true, is it? As far as I know, he's more than willing to give an autograph if you're polite about it, but not when he's clearly busy or in a hurry. At least, that's how I took that tweet. (I think it was in regards to people trying to flag him down when he was clearly rushing for a flight.) I respect that. I mean, I'm not going to ever interrupt someone for their signature anyway, but I think if one chooses to do so there has to be some grace in it. Just because they're a public figure doesn't mean they don't have their own life to live and can drop everything just because you want something from them (that they're not even obligated to give).

Dude takes so many selfies with random people that I find it hard to believe he's just trying to keep his photos and autographs to ones he gets paid $100 a pop to do.

• Love 4

I interpreted the airport differently; I interpreted it to mean that since he was in town to sign autographs at the cc, he would not be signing them at the airport. Celebrities in general would have problems with fans wanting autographs and pictures at awkward, inconvenient times and they have ways to deal with it, without tweeting ahead of time.

I know that he takes pics and signs autographs at other times, I never said otherwise, but if you do the calculations he makes several hundred thousand in a weekend signing and doing pictures. On the one hand I think great money for easy work, but then I think about how much he charges and think that wow, this is just a bit ridiculous.

Edited by FormerCastleFan

It's supply and demand when it comes to actors/celebrities at cons though. They wouldn't attend and charge what they do for photo ops or autographs if folks weren't willing to pay. Who's to say what they can or can't spend their money on. It's no different than someone who forked out nearly $30,000 for a visit with Stana during her ATP auction earlier this year. I know that's for her non-profit, but folks give Nathan money for charity as well as at cons and often receive a perk in return (autograph, thank you tweet, etc). 

FWIW, when Nathan attended the Dallas Fan Expo earlier this spring, he donated all the money he was paid and earned through selling photo ops and autographs to a charity he supports. For all we know, that's a regular practice for him.

I've been in fandoms for more than a decade and you'd be surprised what fans are willing to shell out their money for.

• Love 5

I'm not sure if the Unpopular Opinion thread is the right place to make counterarguments or try to change said opinion, lol. But to the autographs topic, I can't help sharing the fan account I saw on Tumblr this week. I thought it could make my argument for me, along with being funny in itself for people who see the "front lines" in the Castle fandom with a dose of humour. But seriously, I see this argument about autographs made all the time, and I just don't see how one can reprimand the guy for charging the amount he does at cons, when he makes an effort for fans so often for free. From all fan meeting accounts I see on social media, even if limited to only Castle filming and studio locations, it does seem like NF is the one who comes out to sign stuff and take pics the most often. More even than the actors who play secondary characters (but then he's in more scenes and probably is more often on set so has more opportunities). But sometimes it does look like all that is not appreciated or even seen by certain groups of Castle fans, because this trope "NF charges for autographs and has no personal touch with fans" I hear repeated fairly often, and I don't think there is a trope in this fandom that is farther from the reality.

If Wendy has no objection to comments on Unpopular Opinions, I might add to the post later, when I have time.

• Love 2
I interpreted the airport differently; I interpreted it to mean that since he was in town to sign autographs at the cc, he would not be signing them at the airport.

Airports in the cities that host conventions are known to be full of paps and autograph hunters on the days of conventions. It's the most obvious place to stalk celebs that are announced for the con, the date and the place are known and celebs have no way out. All con celebs know that they will be accosted at such airports like hardly anywhere else as it's too easy to pass up for fans and paps. So it's not because he wants to sign pics only for money, it's because he knows that he'll be hunted down for sure and he gives advance notice that he's not gonna be OK with it. And yet there are tons of pictures of him with fans, their families and kids in airports. Make your own conclusions.

• Love 1

Wow! I thought this thread was a place to confess unpopular opinions without the need to justify or defend them. I obviously hit a nerve with my opinion about Nathan, but I am done defending myself. My opinion is what it is and people can like it or not.

• Love 4
I'm half joking about the restrooms but I've read horror stories of celebrities being accosted by people wanting things from them at the urinals.

Whenever I hear things like this I'm immediately reminded of the famous Paul Newman quote:

He said that he remembered the instant he stopped signing autographs. "I was standing at a urinal in Sardi's," he recalled, "and this guy came though the door with a piece of paper. I thought this was inappropriate. It wasn't just an invasion of privacy. It was an invasion of purpose."

And another Newman quote below which I thought was a great way of dealing with what can prove a difficult situation. 

Years ago, my oldest brother ran into Newman at the airport, and, on behalf of my mother, asked for his autograph. He politely, but firmly declined, telling him, "Sorry, pal. Tell your mom that I don't sign autographs but I'd be happy to buy her a beer."

• Love 2
Also, the way he slaps people up side the head and other juvenile things so see on vid clips, etc really annoys me.

The slapping game is definitely something that wouldn't raise any laughs with me but then Fillion knows how far he can take it or rather he understands who to pick on to avoid an uncomfortable situation. Stana said to an interviewer once when asked that Mr Fillion knows better, yes indeed he does and not just with her, because I note he keeps it a guy only thing. Smart move. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I totally understand why some would dislike NF. I think I used to be in that category myself! He can definitely (IMO, obviously) come off as kind of smirky, juvenile, self-impressed, etc. But I actually know a couple of people who met him and had nothing but the most positive feedback about how gracious and warm he was, so that probably boosted him in my estimation. And my UO is that for some weird reason it doesn't bother me that he's still so obsessed with Firefly. I actually find it kind of endearing to see actors who genuinely care so deeply about the projects they do and are as invested as the fans. I totally get that people wish he were as enthusiastic about Castle as he is about Firefly, but I kind of don't blame him for finding his role on Firefly more creatively satisfying and still having that 'what if...?' wistfulness that goes along with a show being canceled so early in its run. 

• Love 2

Well, I'm certainly not going to try to change your mind about your feelings about NF.   They is what they is.     I don't know what the man did to make your feel that way, but you are entitled to your unpopular opinion.

My opinion of NF is based on his work, and from personally observing him interact with his fans at cons, and from my own experience with him at a con.     I think my own experience with NF was so positive because I approached him respectfully,  and didn't grab his ass or ask him stupid questions about when Firefly was coming back, or whether or not he and Stana get along (who fucking cares?), or would he sign my chest, etc... I was most impressed on how he stayed so friendly in a sweltering hall with thousands of demanding fans for hours on end.  You couldn't pay me enough to do what he did that day.  

Since this is an unpopular opinion page, my unpopular opinions are:   1. That shirt he sold for Kusawara was butt ugly.    2.  I hate that when NF raises money for his charity or raises money for his ConMan project, that access is directly tied to how much money you pony up.    Some of us don't have thousands of $$$ to spend on the chance to have lunch with this guy.   3.  NF did say that he would like to just pull a name and not base it on how much $$ was donated, but that is yet to happen.    4.  I'm getting sick of seeing him in that blue shirt.   Yes, I know it's his Castle shirt, but sheesh.   5.   The Muppets promos were cute until they had him coming out of Miss Piggy's trailer all disheveled.   Seriously,  he made out with a pig puppet?    

• Love 2

I don't think anyone's trying to change anyone else's opinion here.  But if hearing other views and information makes one reconsider their own, well, isn't that one reason why we come to a discussion board?  :)

1. That shirt he sold for Kusawara was butt ugly.

I didn't think it was ugly but I didn't really care for the "I shoot first" tagline.  I get that it's a Han Solo reference, but I'm uncomfortable with other connotations people may attach to it if they're unaware, and given the climate of gun violence in the U.S. especially.

And what bugs me is how he can look nothing like he did wearing that shirt in his trailer on Castle! 

2.  I hate that when NF raises money for his charity or raises money for his ConMan project, that access is directly tied to how much money you pony up.    Some of us don't have thousands of $$$ to spend on the chance to have lunch with this guy.   3.  NF did say that he would like to just pull a name and not base it on how much $$ was donated, but that is yet to happen.

I actually like that at least for his charity endeavours he does do a raffle prize for every $5 or $10 donated which levels the playing field between those who can donate thousands and those who can't, and it's not just about the highest bidder.  He definitely does it for his charity:water campaign and I remember him doing a vid picking out the name from stacks of paper.  I don't know if someone would feel bad for being flown from anywhere in the world to L.A. if they only donated $5 though!

Seriously,  he made out with a pig puppet?

And you just reminded me of Black Mirror Episode 1.  If anyone hasn't seen it, go see it!  

• Love 1

Wow! I thought this thread was a place to confess unpopular opinions without the need to justify or defend them. I obviously hit a nerve with my opinion about Nathan, but I am done defending myself. My opinion is what it is and people can like it or not.

I can only answer for myself, and I wasn't trying to change your opinion. I commented only on factual things like signing at airports. You said that it was because he didn't want to sign for free when he came to a city to sign at a con for big bucks. And I pointed out that airports in certain cities on the day of a convention are a trap for celebrities which is a known fact, and that NF does sign in airports for random fans anyway. When he is not being hunted down. I think it's obvious that he is not the guy to be pushed into doing things by popular demand or stalking. Several stories prove that. But it has nothing to do with not wanting to sign for free, there are countless examples of Nathan Fillion taking pics and signing things on filming locations or on the street, like other posters already noted. So it doesn't have much to do with opinions, only facts.

• Love 2

As the thread is an Unpopular Opinion thread, by that very definition, there will be comments made that many may not agree with. Point-counterpoint is against the very nature of such a thread. If you feel you must rebut, feel free to do so via PM if the party with the UO is inclined to continue to talk about it. If not, that is their right.

But like or hate them, people who have UOs should feel relaxed enough to say so without being challenged for their own feelings.

Thanks.

• Love 2

My unpopular opinion: I no longer ship Beckett and Castle. Part of season 6 but definitely from 6x23 and onto season 7.  Plus the elephant in the room a.k.a BTS happenings have started to bleed onto the characters and they have lost the magic that made Caskett ... Caskett. 

• Love 2

I love Beckett. Castle is a man child most of the time.

This! I found myself asking part of season 6 and majority of season 7: what is it about Castle that Beckett still finds appealing? He's annoying on so many levels now. Starting to wonder why she's w. him. Kinda makes me sad b/c I used to adore this pairing and thought Stana/Nathan had some of the best chemistry I'd ever seen. That ship has sailed. 

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 1

This! I found myself asking part of season 6 and majority of season 7: what is about Castle that Beckett still finds appealing? He's annoying on so many levels now. Starting to wonder why she's w. him. Kinda makes me said b/c I used to adore this pairing and thought Stana/Nathan had some of the best chemistry I'd ever seen. That ship has sailed. 

Yep. Actually used to write fic, but was less and less inspired as I found him less and less aesthetically appealing and the character less and less sexy. "Murder he wrote" was recently re-run where I live and I liked it better than I had the first time, but what didn't change was that they genuinely looked like a rich Hamptons guy getting the girlfriend experience from a top-of-the-line call girl. They should have looked like a hot, 40-ish author and his smoking girlfriend. Sadly, they did not.

The episode was about as sexy as the original "Murder She Wrote". Despite mood lighting, candles and a shooting star at the end, they never sold the sexual tension from delayed gratification that should have infused the entire episode and I blame it on the physical disparity between the characters. I notice this in part because they are running S1/2 episodes at the same time and the contrast is almost painful. 

• Love 1

I'm not all that demanding about what my tv-crushes look like - hell, I had a huge crush on Worf for years before I found out the actor who played him was really hot, and that uniform did him no favors at all. What I am a little picky about is the puckish manboy thing. First season Castle balanced that aspect of his character with him being a serious father and a serious writer (and he was also ruggedly handsome, which didn't hurt). That's pretty much gone now, and the two of them have started to remind me of Tom Hanks and Elizabeth Perkins in Big. Clearly, I'm looking at a middle-aged man, but I'm still getting the creepy feeling that I'm watching a grown woman with a twelve year old.

• Love 1

Can be hard to gauge whether opinions fall into the unpopular category or not, but here goes:

I think Caskett lost sexual chemistry after they got together because the UST was gone (and the writers didn't know how to create it for a couple that was already together).  The longing, the yearning, the wooing stopped and they often became a comfortable if slightly boring committed couple.  That, more than any aesthetical reasons, is why Caskett became less sizzling.  So I do ponder whether the Moonlighting curse is real because writers can't write happy couples who have already made it as well as WT/WT couples who are hoping to make it.

I still like the light heartedness to Castle's character and love that that's one of the main things Beckett loves about him.  I have no problems taking him seriously as a good husband and father, so I don't think the man child aspect has overwhelmed the character.  He's always serious when Beckett and others need him to be.

Beckett was a far more interesting, relatable and even, dare I say, beautiful character back when she had short hair, wasn't glammed up like a supermodel with the excessive wardrobe and makeup, and Mary Sued to being brilliant at everything.  Motorcycle heart surgeons, tech billionaires, federal agencies and politicos all falling at her feet.  Always besting than Castle, even at Scrabble.  They turned her in many ways into the opposite of who the character was in S1/2 and in "elevating" her, they made her much more generic.

I think the Senator future is completely ridiculous for someone like Beckett and yet another way Milmar chose to Mary Sue the character as was their wont.  They already had her as a Supreme Court Justice wannabe, so why not Senator, I guess.  The whole interview and speech scene for Beckett in Hollander's Woods was terrible and overwrought.  Miller was indulging in so much of her excessive Mary Sue tendencies for Beckett that I couldn't take Beckett's "moment of triumph" the least bit seriously.

Johanna Beckett should have been the victim of a random, senseless act of violence and the story could have been much more poignant and relatable than this Bracken conspiracy which stopped interesting me several seasons ago.

• Love 5