Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E10: The 200th In The 10th

WendyCR72

BONES pays homage to Alfred Hitchcock in an episode that reimagines the Jeffersonian and FBI teams in 1950s Hollywood. Brennan plays an LAPD detective who's battling sexism on the force, and Booth is a notorious jewel thief who is far more than he seems to be. When Booth is framed for the murder of a rich socialite, he and Brennan team up to clear his name and find the true identity of the murderer.

200 episodes.  So few shows get that.

Nice little campy homage to Hitchcock and I love camp.  Plus, everyone looked so nice in those late 40s-early 50s fashions.

Yea nowadays.

I wasn't a huge fan of the throwback though tbh. It felt cheap in some ways (ie: the road going by the car trick). I know older films did that, but it seems as if that kind of trick works better in black and white than it does in color.

It was an ok episode otherwise though.

• Love 1

This show has many issues but they always go all in for episodes like this, and I must admit, it WAS visually stunning in spots. I also got a kick out of the movie-esque credits and the "newsreel" footage that introduced DB/ED.

Speaking of DB, he did a good job directing, and I thought the beginning scene with Brennan up above on a balcony or whatever spying Booth from below, where they stare, was done well.

It looks like everyone had a blast and, in many cases, playing against their usual character type.

All in all, I thought it was fun.

• Love 1

At first I thought I was going to hate it because I don't trust Hart but I thought it was adorable. Doesn't hurt that he was evoking one of the greatest periods in movie history.

And any time Pej Vahdat can sit around looking hot is a bonus in my book.

Honestly, the entire episode could have been Billy Gibbons sitting in an alley playing music and spouting bon mots and I would have been satisfied.

Emily's hair finally looked fantastic.

• Love 2

Absolutely wonderful. The tone, the visuals - perfect. Quite stunning. The best 40's/50's homage I think that any of the serialized programs have done. (And there have been a few). Second place goes to Eureka. But this takes first by along shot.

• Love 3

This show has many issues but they always go all in for episodes like this, and I must admit, it WAS visually stunning in spots. I also got a kick out of the movie-esque credits and the "newsreel" footage that introduced DB/ED.

Speaking of DB, he did a good job directing...

Agreed, but also...

...Honestly, the entire episode could have been Billy Gibbons sitting in an alley playing music and spouting bon mots and I would have been satisfied.

Emily's hair finally looked fantastic.

Both of these.

...The best 40's/50's homage I think that any of the serialized programs have done. (And there have been a few). Second place goes to Eureka. But this takes first by along shot.

Warehouse 13's S4.13 episode, "The Big Snag," might have topped this in some ways, but I'd have to rewatch and compare.

It's too bad that the quality that went into this episode can't be sustained anymore on this show.

I know the reason Sweets was killed off was attributed to John Francis Daley being too busy, but if they could have frickin' Pelant/Andrew Leeds serving consumables, you'd think Sweets could at least have a cameo as a doorman.

Somebody ought to get the rights to compile a boxed set of noir 40s themed TV show one-offs. They would fly off the shelves this time of year as gifts.

• Love 5

Absolutely wonderful. The tone, the visuals - perfect. Quite stunning.

Very much agreed. It was fun. And the technicolor look really popped in HD.

I could watch a regular weekly series of this, just for the visuals...

..This must have cost much more than a regular episode, right? 

I never expected Zach and, to be honest, the man has been gone forever now. Not to mention Eric Millegan seems to have stopped acting (as I have not seen him anywhere), so maybe he decided on other endeavors.

Not impressed.

Though there was a flicker of chemistry in the closet.

I miss those days.

Not b/c it's a bad thing to resolve romantic conflict, but because you can still have sexual chemistry when you're married. 

This show is losing me....

• Love 3

I like last night's episode a lot-- loved that they did in the 40's/50's style. My interest in Bones is waning with every episode, but at least last night's was fun.

I agree that it would have been nice to have Eric Milligan and JFD make small appearances, given their roles on the show, though I wasn't really surprised that neither one of them appeared.

Is Emily pregnant again? She looked exceedingly buxum in this episode. Overall, I liked it better than the usual episode. I liked the one they did several years ago too with Booth & "Bren" owning a restaurant/bar/club. As a season closer is was not popular, but just taken in random it was very entertaining.

This show lost me long ago. I still watch On Demand on occasion, but whatever magic it once had is pretty much gone.

And whatever happened to Opie? I forget his name. The intern who dated Cam's daughter and made hot sauce with Hodgens. I know he was on Pretty Little Liars, but the part he had on that show was about as time consuming as the part he had on Bones. Was it ever explanined where he went/why left? Or did he make an appearance this season & I missed it because I don't always watch.

I don't know she can get pregnant when I see no evidence that she and Booth even touch each other these days. :/

They did kiss at the end of the episode, so that kind of x's out the don't touch thing imo.

Is Emily pregnant again? She looked exceedingly buxum in this episode. Overall, I liked it better than the usual episode. I liked the one they did several years ago too with Booth & "Bren" owning a restaurant/bar/club. As a season closer is was not popular, but just taken in random it was very entertaining.

This show lost me long ago. I still watch On Demand on occasion, but whatever magic it once had is pretty much gone.

And whatever happened to Opie? I forget his name. The intern who dated Cam's daughter and made hot sauce with Hodgens. I know he was on Pretty Little Liars, but the part he had on that show was about as time consuming as the part he had on Bones. Was it ever explanined where he went/why left? Or did he make an appearance this season & I missed it because I don't always watch.

Nah. Back then they had bras that did that ;). Made women look more buxom.

They still do now, but back then, especially.

Well this wasn't a real episode so I doubt Temperance Brennan of the Jeffersonian is pregnant because she got kissed by a jewel thief in 1950. :)

I just miss the romance. Last episode he told Aubrey that he was 'stuck with her' when talking about his own wife. Then they sat beside each other on a couch like roommates. zzzzzzz

But to answer the question, Emily Deschanel is pregnant again, yes, and per TPTB in a TV Line article, that pregnancy, like the last one, is being written in.

Woah. I have to look that up. Thought it was just the era clothing.

Wow. Congratulations to her, and I hope TPTB do a good job there.

Well this wasn't a real episode so I doubt Temperance Brennan of the Jeffersonian is pregnant because she got kissed by a jewel thief in 1950. :)

I just miss the romance. Last episode he told Aubrey that he was 'stuck with her' when talking about his own wife. Then they sat beside each other on a couch like roommates. zzzzzzz

I miss it too :(.

I don't think he meant it in a bad way tbh, just a human one. I'll be curious as to how they'll bring the romance back.

And I think I have a clue as to when (the show characters). But I'll be leaving that for the spoiler thread.

• Love 1

I've despised Bones for years now. But I have to admit I tuned in after hearing their intent for this, and quite enjoyed it.

As a one-off, this made the show momentarily not the worthless garbage it's otherwise been for years. They put some serious work into it as well. While I know they didn't shoot this on film, they went through the trouble to tweak the color palette of the set dressing, the warddrobe, and backgrounds, to make it look technicolor. A few of the actors, especially the female ones, tweaked their speech to get that 50s affect to it (I guess David B. didn't bother, since his speech is closest to that anyway of the cast). I even appreciate that they didn't put the past versions in the "obvious" roles. Even the script was pretty tight, given that they only had 43 minutes to do what these types of movies normally did in around 70 minutes.

• Love 3

I think we were supposed to be reminded heavily of "To Catch a Thief," with Cary Grant and Grace Kelly.  It's certainly what popped into my mind almost immediately - visually very reminiscent.  I enjoyed it more than any episode in years.  Like many of the older series (lookin' at you, Criminal Minds, NCIS, SVU, among others) currently stumbling and fumbling for interesting plots, Bones is overdue for retirement.  When it was good, it was very, very good, but now that it's bad, it's horrid.

• Love 3