Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

(edited)

It's technically 3 weeks. 6.15 on 3/8, reruns on 3/15 and 3/22, 6.16 on 3/29.

Agreed on your point about the break after just 2 new episodes not making sense.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

But if they gonna  air their season finale during may sweeps this interuption will be the last one (May 17th is the last Thursday of May Sweeps).

With this break they avoid the spring break effect where ratings might deep and they avoid the competition from March Madness games. 

11 hours ago, lemotomato said:

It's technically 3 weeks. 6.15 on 3/8, reruns on 3/15 and 3/22, 6.16 on 3/29.

Agreed on your point about the break after just 2 new episodes not making sense.

To me that's 2 week. I know others call it 3, just like they called this one 3 weeks but, I go by the reruns or alternative program scheduled. 

• Love 1

I usually count the weeks that new episodes of Arrow are not on.  So I'd call it a two-week hiatus.  Or that Arrow is off for another two weeks. Because people were saying the Olympics had Arrow off for three weeks, I was surprised at first that the Olympics were over after only two.  

• Love 2

Half-hours....

Here are the unrounded 18-49 prelims for Thursday, March 8 (adjustments expected for......CW due to college basketball preemptions):

Supernatural ........................ 0.534 ... (0.546 ... 0.521)
Arrow ................................... 0.422 ... (0.440 ... 0.403)

Live+7 ratings for week 20:

Arrow (6x13): 0.8 in A18-49 and 2.213 million viewers

Supergirl (3x13): 1.0 in A18-49 and 3.222 million viewers

The Flash (4x13): 1.7 in A18-49 and 4.284 million viewers

Riverdale (2x13): 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.243 million viewers

Black Lightning (1x04): 1.2 in A18-49 and 3.273 million viewers

Supernatural (13x13): 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.887 million viewers

Jane The Virgin (4x10): 0.6 in A18-49 and 1.394 million viewers

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

I know those ratings aren't good but at least it remains steady.

It will only get worse next week when DST is gonna impact the ratings. But the ratings for SPN and Arrow are what the CW expected. Especially with the preemptions. 

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

How are they not good? Have you compared it to the rest of CW lineup?

It's the lowest of the DCTV shows, but I'm not worried about it. It could do 0.3 and still get renewed. None of the CW shows are doing well imo, the only reason they survive is because of the network they're on.

2 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

It's the lowest of the DCTV shows, but I'm not worried about it. It could do 0.3 and still get renewed. None of the CW shows are doing well imo, the only reason they survive is because of the network they're on.

Wasnt  LOT lower this week? 

(edited)

I'm not sure. I know LOT dropped when they moved to Monday, but I haven't been keeping track. I think they usually do a tiny bit better than Arrow. But Arrow is on its 6th season and LOT its 3rd, so it's not much of a big deal imo.

Edit: iI just looked and LOT was lower this week, they're discussing it in mind your surroundings. 

Edited by JJ928

Legends took a sudden dive in viewers this week for reasons I have yet to understand.  It had 1.5 million viewers the week before, and until now had been running between 1.4-1.5 million viewers.  Not sure what happened there.

(edited)
1 hour ago, JJ928 said:

It's also the oldest. But, point of fact it's not the lowest, Izombie is a DCTV show which is younger and lower then Arrow.

In fact if you look at all the CW shows, Arrow is ahead of Izombie, CEG, JTV, and will presumably be ahead of The 100 and The Originals when they return.

With the new shows, Arrow is ahead of 3/4 of the pilots, Black Lightning being the exception which also has the benefit of Flash as a lead in.

Incidentally if you look at all the DCTV shows and SPN they're all pretty much grouped together

The Flash 0.85

Black Lightning 0.63

Supergirl 0.55

Riverdale 0.54

LoT 0.51

Arrow 0.48

Izombie 0.26

For the record SPN (the oldest show on the network) is beating everything but Flash and BL (and it may actually end up in 2nd since BL dropped below SPN after a strong debut) with a 0.58

So no, Arrow's ratings aren't bad/horrible/oh my god cancel it already. Arrow's ratings are in the same ballpark as 3 shows half its age or less and above network average. Especially a network that hasn't launched a legit ratings hit since Flash 4 years ago.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

@Morrigan2575 I never said I wanted Arrow canceled, or that I thought it was in danger. It's not that serious tbh. I don't think any of those ratings are good, the fact that not a single CW show is at least pulling a 1.0 isn't a good look. IMO, all of them are doing poorly cw or not. I'm glad the network isn't solely driven by ratings because I still enjoy some of them, but it's still pretty sad.

• Love 1

Yeah, I don't know why people are so defensive about the ratings. Only 1 show of the entire CW lineup (The Flash) is able to pull 2 million live viewers each week and that's honestly embarrassing for a network with as wide of a reach as the CW. 

11 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Why is CW so forgiving of ratings?

I was researching The Resident and an article said that Fox might renew it if it stays over 1. Seems so much stricter than CW. 

Because they don't make majority of their money from ratings if I remember correctly. WB/CBS just use them to push product and make money off of the deals. 

But it is crazy to think like 2-3 years ago they were almost on par with some NBC/FOX shows. Especially The Flash.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Because they don't make majority of their money from ratings if I remember correctly. WB/CBS just use them to push product and make money off of the deals. 

But it is crazy to think like 2-3 years ago they were almost on par with some NBC/FOX shows. Especially The Flash.

The Flash still is if you compare to Gotham. 

I think at one point the CW reached fewer people, pretty much everyone had  NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX affiliates in their area but not necessarily a CW affiliate. I'm not sure if that's still the case but it at least used to be a factor in what CW expected ratings wise.

Honestly, looking at the ratings for other shows on other networks and there are a lot of shows pulling in 0.5-1.0 range.  So very few shows are pulling awesome ratings these days. So it's not a CW thing but a 'does anyone actually watch live anymore?' thing. 

I work for a large multinational corporation and while I'm by no means in the marketing aspect of the company, I do know that the ratios of how they spend their advertising dollars has switched from traditional advertising (tv, print, radio) to spending more on online digital advertising or product placement. I believe it's 60% spending on online multimedia vs 20% tv radio and print advertising. Now that's just our company, I'm not sure if that's typical of others, but the idea that ratings are important to drive advertising is going to be interesting the more companies stop seeing the value in television advertising. 

3 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

but the idea that ratings are important to drive advertising is going to be interesting the more companies stop seeing the value in television advertising. 

Yep, as someone working on the performer side of it, which has a contract that pays based on an advertiser's media buy, it's interesting to see the change. I think Nielsen may be an outdated form of figuring out who's watching what when, and I know they've tried to adapt their services, but I don't know that it's a valid system anymore. I'm sure @quarks knows wayyy more about that. 

10 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Yep, as someone working on the performer side of it, which has a contract that pays based on an advertiser's media buy, it's interesting to see the change. I think Nielsen may be an outdated form of figuring out who's watching what when, and I know they've tried to adapt their services, but I don't know that it's a valid system anymore. I'm sure @quarks knows wayyy more about that. 

At our 2018 Market Plan conference our Marketing Officer talked about television advertising as though it were, not irrelevant, but unimportant. They want to get to people on their phones, on their social media pages, IN their favourite tv shows, not in between them.  Like I said, that is just my company's  marketing plan and may not be typical of every company, but based on your job field as well I don't think it's untypical either. 

Edited by Mary0360
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Why is CW so forgiving of ratings?

I was researching The Resident and an article said that Fox might renew it if it stays over 1. Seems so much stricter than CW. 

There was a discussion about this several pages back with @quarks writing about why The CW has been saying live ratings don't matter as much. 

Edited to add: Here's quarks' post on it

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

Another thing brought up was that while viewership is trending consistently down, Networks are charging more or the same for their ads, which is another turn off for companies. I mean being a product based company they are still going to advertise on tv because our competitors will continue to, but this was the first time in my seven years with the company that they sounded more enthusiastic about taking the business digital then anything else. 

Edited by Mary0360

It really sucks that Nielsen didn't release Live+7 ratings for weeks 21 and 22 because Legends of Tomorrow seems to have taken a huge tumble since the winter break and I would have liked to have known if the move to Mondays played a significant role in it or not. Anyways, here are the numbers for weeks 23 and 24:

Live+7 ratings for week 23:

Arrow (6x14): 0.8 in A18-49 and 2.132 million viewers

The Flash (4x14): 1.5 in A18-49 and 3.982 million viewers

Black Lightning (1x06): 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.803 million viewers

Supernatural (13x14): A18-49 unknown and 2.590 million viewers

Jane The Virgin (4x11): 0.5 in A18-49 and 1.215 million viewers

IZombie (4x01): 0.6 in A18-49 and 1.656 million viewers

Legends of Tomorrow (3x12): Both unknown, which means percentage gain in A18-49 has to be 80% or lower and 59% or lower in total viewership. 

Live+7 ratings for week 24:

Arrow (6x15): A18-49 unknown and 2.155 million viewers. Shows needed a 78% increase in A18-49 to make the top 25, so Arrow must have dropped to a new series low of 0,7. 

The Flash (4x15): 1.5 in A18-49 and 3.869 million viewers

Black Lightning (1x07): 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.481 million viewers

Supernatural (13x15): 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.733 million viewers

Jane The Virgin (4x12): 0.5 in A18-49 and 1.121 million viewers

IZombie (4x02): 0.5 in A18-49 and 1.398 million viewers

Legends of Tomorrow (3x13): A18-49 unknown (probably 0.7 like Arrow) and 2.049 million viewers (LOT's last tracked data point before this was 2.606 million viewers for episode 3x09)

Edited by strikera0

I posted the L+7 numbers for the week of March 5 (week 24) in the Mind Your Surroundings thread.  Programming Insider had the numbers for everything except Dynasty.  I'll go back and look for the numbers for week 23, and post them if I find them.  Unfortunately, while PI is a great resource, they don't archive the numbers - they only keep them up for a couple of weeks. :( (Probably something to do with their agreement with Nielsen - if I remember correctly, TVbtN used to/perhaps still does have the same issue with some of their ratings posts.)

On 3/20/2018 at 12:57 PM, Starfish35 said:

CW L+7 Ratings for the week of March 5. Source

• The Flash 1.48, 3.869M
  • Supernatural 0.92, 2.733M
  • Black Lightning 0.92, 2.481M
  • Riverdale 0.88, 2.223M
  • Arrow 0.75, 2.155M
  • Legends of Tomorrow 0.74, 2.049M
  • iZombie 0.51, 1.398M
  • Jane the Virgin 0.51, 1.121M
  • Life Sentence 0.44, 1.190M

I didn't see any numbers for Dynasty.

Edited by Starfish35

Found them.  CW L+7 ratings for the week of Feb. 26 (week 23).

• The Flash 1.47, 3.982M
  • Black Lightning 1.04, 2.803M
  • Supernatural 0.97, 2.590M
  • Arrow 0.79, 2.132M
  • Legends of Tomorrow 0.73, 2.282M
  • iZombie 0.60, 1.656M
  • Jane the Virgin 0.53, 1.215M

Riverdale and Dynasty apparently did not air that week, and Life Sentence did not premiere until the following week.

Unrounded preliminary numbers and half-hours from RJK at SpottedRatings:

Supernatural ...................... 0.705 ... (0.716 ... 0.694)
Arrow ................................. 0.387 ... (0.393 ... 0.380)

Unrounded finals for their previous episodes were:

• Supernatural - 0.520
  • Arrow - 0.410