Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

'Candice Patton Explains Iris' Role In Season 4'

“I don’t think this season we’re going to see a lot of reporter Iris, which is a little disappointing to me,” Patton said. “But what I can say is we do see Iris a little more developed in a sense of having agency in terms of being the leader of Team Flash. So she’s heavily involved at STAR Labs. She’s kind of the one overseeing everything, which is really cool.”

As Patton said, however, this expanded role with the heroes means Iris will be scaling back in her duties as a reporter.

“In terms of the traditional ‘Iris West, Ace Reporter,’ I don’t know that that’s a direction they’re going, I don’t know if we’ll ever get there,” Patton said. “For know, sorry to say, I don’t think it’s a thing.”

::angry noises::

So disappointing. Barry can be a CSI and the Flash, so... COME ON. I mean, we don't have to see her at CCPN every episode*, but her skills and career as an investigative reporter can definitely be put to use narratively. Her taking on a leadership role with Team Flash is great, but they NEED to branch out from STAR Labs.

*(98% sure that set is GONE)

• Love 2

They cast Ralph Dibny:

Also some new info on the character:

Dibny is described as “a fast-talking private investigator with investigative skills that rival those of Batman.” Oh, and he can stretch his body to any shape or form. After discovering his new abilities, Dibny uses his superpower to help Team Flash solve one of Central City’s greatest mysteries.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Didn't Dibny's wife have a particularly horrific death in the comics? 

I'm not familiar with either character, but - skimming the wikipedia page - they don't have to go that route. We'll see if they even cast someone for her, or if she'll just be mentioned in passing.

Not upon her return, but who knows. Maybe they'll use this to give us a team up in the back half of the season. Iris West and Elongated Man separately track the latest Thinker lackey to their hidden location. Both spot each other at the most inconvenient possible moment, inevitably alerting the villains to their presence. Hijinks ensue!

I kid. I know they're not going to let her do anything.

*sighs*

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Karlophe said:

Not upon her return, but who knows. Maybe they'll use this to give us a team up in the back half of the season. Iris West and Elongated Man separately track the latest Thinker lackey to their hidden location. Both spot each other at the most inconvenient possible moment, inevitably alerting the villains to their presence. Hijinks ensue!

I kid. I know they're not going to let her do anything.

*sighs*

I thought of a similar scenario with a West/Dibny team-up, but then I thought, why should I put that out there when the show has a history rejecting even the simplest ways to be great?  ::SIGH::

-----

In other news, I know that set pics have come out, but here's confirmation from Grant that Season 4 has the new flash suit:

EW Spoiler room:

What do you have on Barry’s return to The Flash? — Lyle

Apparently, not everyone will be on board with how to go about getting Barry back. “I wish I could say that the team unanimously agrees that things are not the same when the season starts, but not everybody feels that way,” Carlos Valdes tells me. “Most of the energy on the team is toward getting Barry back, and Cisco may or may not have some things up his sleeve with regards with how to make that happen, but there is a member of the team that’s not on board, and that ultimately makes the mission to get Barry back a lot more difficult. But the thing about Cisco is if he wants to get his friends back, he will do whatever it takes the get his friends back — and that’s not just Barry.” Hmmm…

Hmm; we already know from the trailer that Iris doesn't want to be involved with whatever Cisco plans to do.
As for "not just Barry", that sounds like he's talking about Caitlin, to me.

Crossover info from the TCAs:

Crossover revealed | Before getting into your regularly scheduled DC TV Watch programming, it's time for a crossover announcement: The CW has officially set the next four-show crossover for the Arrow-verse. Switching things up this year, the crossover will now take place over two nights instead of four. Beginning on Monday, Nov. 27 with an episode of Supergirl leading into an episode of Arrow (which will move to Monday night one time for this special event). It will conclude on Tuesday, Nov. 28 with an episode of The Flash and leading into Legends of Tomorrow. But that doesn't mean there will be a double dose of Arrow that week (which come fall airs Thursdays). "We haven't figured out how we're going to schedule but no, the crossover is going to be it for that week's airing," CW president Mark Pedowitz told reporters at his stop at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour this week. "I don't know whether we're going to move stuff around or not. Maybe we'll move Valor to Thursday that [week]."

Why the change? | According to Pedowitz, everything came down to scheduling. "Last year's crossover was the most successful week I believe in CW's history in terms of the ratings and all that goes with it," he said. "We felt if, as is the case, we already have Flash and Legends paired that it would better and tighter in terms of storytelling if we make them two two-hour movies or miniseries. From that point of view, we felt like this was the best way to go. We've had a lot of conversations with the executive producers, the studio, our scheduling people, and we thought this was a tight, concise way to do it. And next year we may go back to four nights."

Bigger than ever | Although last year's event was billed as a four-show crossover, it actually only took place over three episodes, with Supergirl introducing the crossover in the final moments of its episode. But this year's crossover has officially upgraded. "It's a full, four-episode crossover across the board," Pedowitz said. "This will be even bigger."

New intel | How are they going to top last year's alien invasion? Details are still being kept under wraps, but Pedowitz did offer a few inside details. "Romance is in the air," Pedowitz said. "The crossovers will definitely have a purpose." Added Legends and Arrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim: "There's no way that we can top aliens last year, so let's up the emotional content. I'm not saying the emotion is romantic, necessarily. We wanted there to be some really big emotional turns for our characters. One of the differences about the crossover this year as opposed to years past is, we're doing some big character moves that affect all four of the shows."

Executive producer Greg Berlanti, appearing at TCA for an Everwood reunion panel, elaborated a bit more about what to expect. "Our way of making the show bigger this year was to go even more personal. It's a big life event for a few different people on the show." A big life event like a wedding, perhaps? "There are many life events that happen," he said with a laugh. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dc-tv-watch-4-show-crossover-flash-elongated-man-gotham-season-4-premiere-1025782

• Love 1
On 8/4/2017 at 2:48 PM, Trini said:

EW Spoiler room:

What do you have on Barry’s return to The Flash? — Lyle

Apparently, not everyone will be on board with how to go about getting Barry back. “I wish I could say that the team unanimously agrees that things are not the same when the season starts, but not everybody feels that way,” Carlos Valdes tells me. “Most of the energy on the team is toward getting Barry back, and Cisco may or may not have some things up his sleeve with regards with how to make that happen, but there is a member of the team that’s not on board, and that ultimately makes the mission to get Barry back a lot more difficult. But the thing about Cisco is if he wants to get his friends back, he will do whatever it takes the get his friends back — and that’s not just Barry.” Hmmm…

Hmm; we already know from the trailer that Iris doesn't want to be involved with whatever Cisco plans to do.
As for "not just Barry", that sounds like he's talking about Caitlin, to me.

Cisco definitely will work to get Caitlin back as well...

I am wondering if Wally will not be in a rush to get Barry back? I could see him enjoying not having to share the spotlight with Barry. He cares about Barry, sure, but I could see him relishing being Central City's top hero. They could play up the conflict between his enjoying the spotlight and getting his friend back.

I don't really see Wally being so selfish that he doesn't want Barry back just to keep the spotlight.  I figure Iris's point of view is "Barry went into the Speed Force to keep our universe from being destroyed.  If you do whatever you're planning to do and it fucks up, Cisco, you could destroy the universe.  As team leader, I order you to not do something that could destroy the universe."

• Love 2

I don't think Iris can order anyone to do anything. She's not the boss of them. The trailer showed everyone, including Caitlin, minus Iris, in that scene at the end trying to get Barry out. So, I think it's her that might not be up to getting Barry out.

There's been speculation that the white dress(?) Candice is wearing here is a wedding dress. It's unlikely that it's the actual wedding so soon (they're working on episode 4.03 now), so it may be Iris trying on dresses or for a dream sequence. Or it's just a fancy white top!

• Love 1

I see the official WestAllenweddingwatch has begun! ?

That's a very pretty top, too bad we can't see more of it though, because right now it looks a tad too casual for a wedding dress to me. Or maybe I just have different expectations of Iris' wedding dress. I like the idea of her trying on Wedding dresses. One of her snaps showed she was wearing a top that may or may not be the same one as this one while filming in Star Labs.

Apparently they (and by they I mean the show, unknown which actors) were also filming at a church, but not sure if it was on the same day that Candice was wearing this white top, because apparently Keiynan, who took the pics, was in LA the day they filmed at the church (I don't know how long it takes to fly from Vancouver to LA, but if it's not long perhaps he flew back after work)

Edited by RedVitC
  • Love 1
On 7/29/2017 at 3:30 PM, Karlophe said:

Hollywood North already has set photos of the aforementioned Lady from 4.03:

https://m.imgur.com/a/JWJzh

Based on her outfit, it's believed she'll be playing DC character Hazard:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Rebecca_Sharpe_(New_Earth)

More info! http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/flash-season-4-hazard-sugar-lyn-beard-1202521217/

Sugar Lyn Beard has been cast as Rebecca Sharpe, aka Hazard, for the fourth season of “The Flash.”

The “Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates” star will appear in the third episode of The CW series’ upcoming season. Sharpe is described as perpetually down-on her luck and is convinced her life is cursed — until a freak accident changes everything. With the universe on her side, she poses a threat to both Team Flash and Central City.

This actually sounds like a fun villain to see in action!

• Love 1

Looking forward to it. Since Grant was barely? filming for the first episode, I think the emotional scenes will be tackling Iris' POV on what happened. In those new filming pics Iris is still wearing the engagement ring, by the way, so what she was wearing in the third episode was either her just wearing a pretty white top or trying on wedding dresses not a wedding ceremony. Or maybe a first attempt at a wedding ceremony, but I don't really think that for some reason.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/21/flash-katee-sackhoff-amunet-season-4/

Katee Sackhoff has joined the cast of The Flash in a recurring role, EW has learned exclusively.

The Battlestar Galactica alum will play DC Comics villain Amunet Black, a.k.a Blacksmith, a steely and badass boss of an underground black market for supervillains. Amunet uses every means possible, including the long list of metahumans under her thumb, to ensure her illicit enterprise thrives.

The actress will first appear in episode 405, interestingly titled “Girls Night Out,” which also serves as a mini-crossover with Arrow: Emily Bett Rickards will also pop up during the hour.

The rare episode where Iris gets to talk to another woman! Blacksmith sounds interesting, though. The first recurring female villain the show has had.

• Love 3

I'm kinda hoping this girls night out is not a bachelorette party, because I'd rather it be during the crossover so ALL the DC ladies can attend.

--------

The juice stain is a "spoiler". ?

22 hours ago, Trini said:

The juice stain is a "spoiler". ?

Clearly, this heralds a surprise appearance. Music Meister! Extended an invitation to the "girls night" for his part in reuniting the happy couple. Barry, being Barry, accidentally gatecrashes their party.

And Music Meister throws an orange slushie at him. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

• Love 2

Ask Ausiello: http://tvline.com/2017/08/23/this-is-us-season-2-spoilers-jack-kid-young-flashback/

Question: Since Episode 5 of The Flash is called “Girls Night Out,” is there a chance the girls will actually speak to each other? And might they do so at a party in anticipation of a certain wedding? —Tatiana

Ausiello:... Here’s what Flash EP Todd Helbing had to say about Ep 5: “It’s really fun. The girls [including a visiting Felicity Smoak] go and have a night out in Central City alone, without the guys. And they get into some trouble.” And to the second part of your Q about the possibility of the outing being a bachelorette party for the potential future Mrs. West-Allen, Helbing responds with a laugh, “Possibly.”

I hope Gypsy is a part of this party!

Surprised we still haven't heard anything about what role Aliza Vellani is playing. I wondering if she's a recurring minor character, like Captain Singh? And only has scenes on one set... maybe?

EW Spoiler Room:

Do you have more scoop on The Flash‘s girls night out? — Peach

That episode won’t be the only girl power we’ll be seeing this year. “We’re definitely going to see Iris’ relationship with Caitlin especially developed this season, which we haven’t seen before, which will be really nice for fans,” Candice Patton tells me. “Fans have been wanting to see more female dynamic on the show, and there will definitely be that. They’re working closely together. Caitlin has been through so much herself in relationships, and I think if anyone can offer advice, it would be her, so she’s there quite often to give Iris advice on her relationship with Barry and how to move forward.

Oh no -- are they building up to Caitlin being maid-of-honor?? NOOOOOOO! Also, way to start on those "female dynamics" in the 4th season, Show.

• Love 1

I'm not opposed to a closer relationship between Caitlin and Iris (and it was something I had wanted for a while before), but they ruined that last season when Caitlin went all homicidal and didn't care that Iris was going to be murdered. Especially when they never made it clear whether Killer Frost was separate from Caitlin.

The writers had their chance to build up Iris and Caitlin in Season 2. They clearly only just realized 'Crap! Iris needs friends for this wedding!' (Which is weird, because they've always planned for Barry and Iris to get together, and thosee two characters have been regulars this whole time.) Anyway, Iris does have other (meager) options with Linda, Jesse, Felicity, and even Gypsy and Cecile.

----------

About the new promo -- I figured Barry would be out of the Speed Force by the end of the premiere, but I'm really surprised they used that shot (Barry + Iris in a field) when one would think that they'd want to keep that a surprise. But I'm already happy that it looks like Barry comes back specifically to Iris!

The other thing is whether Wally is guest starring on Legends or is Nate guest starring on The Flash? At least with a mini-crossover it will make more sense that everyone knows each other/is friendly during the Big Crossover.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

I get that there are people that feel it's too little too late to develop an Iris and Caitlin friendship, but at the same time better late than never? I agree that the KF thing will need to be addressed in that developing friendship. Who knows, If they don't go from zero to 100 in one episode, and maybe even have the characters acknowledge that they've hardly interacted on a personal level and acknowledge the KF thing,they might be able to sell it. And we don't know for sure that the Caitlin from the trailer is E1 Caitlin, right?

I agree that maybe, at least in part, the wedding made them realize that Iris didn't really have any female friends for fun wedding stuff and bridesmaids and that the two regular women in the cast barely interact.

Honestly I'm quite looking forward to this ladies night episode. If this is really Iris' party, I hope that means that this crossover Iris and Felicity will get to have some meaningful conversations (aside from the fun).

I think it's Wally starring in the legends episode. Maybe the Legends team visit to fix the broken timeline or something like that.

That scene with Barry and Iris looks so pretty! I understand why some people think it might be a dream because of the way it looks, but whose dream would it be? Barry doesn't know Iris cut her hair and Iris doesn't know about the new suit.

• Love 3
On 8/28/2017 at 4:34 PM, RedVitC said:

I get that there are people that feel it's too little too late to develop an Iris and Caitlin friendship, but at the same time better late than never? ...

I mean, if they had any goodwill built up from the past 3 seasons when it comes to female/female relationships, I'd be a bit more open-minded, but they don't and I'm not. After everything involving Killer Frost last season, I'm just going in knowing that some part (if not all) of Caitlin's story arc is going to be disappointing.

• Love 2

From EW's Spoiler Room:

Do you know which version of Wells will be on The Flash this season? — Brad

Initially, it’s a return to the Earth-2 Wells, though I can tease that Harry won’t be the only Wells we’ll see this season. In the meantime, Harry will be struggling to find his own place. “He’s a genius, and his daughter is safe, and she’s The Flash on Earth-3, and he’s one of those people who’s realizing that he doesn’t have a life,” EP Andrew Kreisberg says. “So season 4 for Harry is really realizing what he’s missing in his life and what it is he needs to become a better, more complete person, and so he’s going to be going on a fairly epic emotional journey this season that is tied to The Thinker’s plan.”

Will this finally be the year they kill off Wells/Cavanugh for good? I admit I may be looking at this pessimistically, but many times when a supporting character goes on an "epic emotional journey" it a setup for that character's death/exit.

I guess I can get that, I'm trying to be in wait and see mode for the Iris and Caitlin friendship for the most part. I just hope that they actually allow it to be something that grows and not zero to hundred.

I don't think they're saying goodbye to Wells. Since he's not a new Wells whose background needs to be introduced they might be taking the opportunity that gives to explore another side. It'll be nice to see some different sides to Harry. It's kind of strange that the first glimpse we saw of him in that elevator on Earth 2, doesn't seem to match up with the Harry we got to know (though I know that was before Jesse got kidnapped by Zoom).

They seem to be forgetting that the only reason Jesse went to be The Flash on Earth was because Jay was in the Speed Force. Jay has been back on Earth 3 for six months, wouldn't she have gone back to Earth 2?  Since she used to be The Flash there and they don't have a Flash now (as far as we know).

I'm also wondering about Wally. Keiynan hasn't been in Vancouver since the end of filming episode 3 (that's what I heard) and they started six today and he's probably still in Japan. Maybe Wally decides he needs some space? Or he tries to be The Flash on his own for a bit (in Keystone?) and then realizes he needs more training? Candice said they had big plans for Wally this season so I hope he gets good material.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Trini said:

From EW's Spoiler Room:

Will this finally be the year they kill off Wells/Cavanugh for good? I admit I may be looking at this pessimistically, but many times when a supporting character goes on an "epic emotional journey" it a setup for that character's death/exit.

I didn't get from that that TC is on the way out.

58 minutes ago, RedVitC said:

They seem to be forgetting that the only reason Jesse went to be The Flash on Earth was because Jay was in the Speed Force. Jay has been back on Earth 3 for six months, wouldn't she have gone back to Earth 2?  Since she used to be The Flash there and they don't have a Flash now (as far as we know).

I'm also wondering about Wally. Keiynan hasn't been in Vancouver since the end of filming episode 3 (that's what I heard) and they started six today and he's probably still in Japan. Maybe Wally decides he needs some space? Or he tries to be The Flash on his own for a bit (in Keystone?) and then realizes he needs more training? Candice said they had big plans for Wally this season so I hope he gets good material.

That has me stumped as well regarding Jesse. I don't get why she is still on E3. Especially with Wally and her father now both on E1.

• Love 2

About the new promo: I'm guessing Barry going on about his big breakfast relates to the Speed Force not having a buffet, and he kinda goes overboard with food when he gets back.

I'm assuming those scenes are from the 2nd or 3rd episode? Look's like Cisco is back working with the CCPD again.

48 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

So let's say Barry and Iris get married on the crossover episode. Will they leave for their honeymoon at the end of 4x09? I think that would be perfect, to coincide with the winter hiatus.

That would be a good use of the hiatus! But I'd actually love for them to show them on their honeymoon -- but I know that's not going to happen. ::SIGH:: 

Imagine Barry and Iris trying to relax, Barry trying not to use his Flash powers (Iris told him to leave the suit at home) and they still end up having to take care of some criminals or a random metahuman.

On 9/1/2017 at 4:47 AM, Proteus said:

That has me stumped as well regarding Jesse. I don't get why she is still on E3. Especially with Wally and her father now both on E1.

Yeah. Maybe it was just an oversight and he meant Earth 2? Or maybe it's something that'll be explained at the beginning of the season.

Are Wally and Jesse still officially together? I don't remember what they said when they said their temporary goodbyes.

23 hours ago, ruby24 said:

So let's say Barry and Iris get married on the crossover episode. Will they leave for their honeymoon at the end of 4x09? I think that would be perfect, to coincide with the winter hiatus.

If they get married during the crossover, they might spend ep 4x09 trying to leave on their honeymoon, but they constantly need to deal with things. And then at the end of the episode they finally leave. 

In the comics

Spoiler

the Thinker erased Keystone City from people's memories and from sight for a while.

Maybe they could do something like that. We see Barry and Iris leave Central City and then the mid season cliffhanger is

Spoiler

Central City disappearing. 

• Love 2

Oooh, I like that idea! But how does it affect people to erase a city from their minds? Do they all just think they live in another city or do they lose memories of the people there too? 

I like the idea of Barry and Iris coming back from their honeymoon to a place that doesn't remember them and they have to fix it. That'd be awesome.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, RedVitC said:

Are Wally and Jesse still officially together? I don't remember what they said when they said their temporary goodbyes.

I think they are since Wally went to visit her at least once (offscreen).

15 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Oooh, I like that idea! But how does it affect people to erase a city from their minds? Do they all just think they live in another city or do they lose memories of the people there too? 

I like the idea of Barry and Iris coming back from their honeymoon to a place that doesn't remember them and they have to fix it. That'd be awesome.

I like this idea, because it's not one of those problems that can be fixed with speed. They really need to let Barry be as smart as he's supposed to be.