Type keyword(s) to search

Morgan: Man on a Mission

• Start Topic

Couldn't find a Morgan thread, so decided to start one.  If anyone thinks of a more clever title, please change.

I brought this over from the episode thread:

Morgan's tearful determination to kill his walker-wife, but not being able to overcome it....that was one of the main things that made me fall in love with this show. The pilot still stands out to me as one of the best episodes ever, and that's in no small part due to Lennie James. Also, Clear showed us that yes, Morgan had gone crazy, but he was also a fortifying badass. Morgan was methodical and clever and thought ahead. His only weakness, understandably, was his family. But in that little town, he had done so many of the things that our group should have been doing long ago. I think he has a lot to bring to the table.

Yes to all of this!  Not leaving the house because his walker wife kept returning.  Oh that scene where he's going to kill her and Duane runs and jumps on his pallet sobbing ......  Oh God, it was so sad.  And Morgan, he's holding the rife site on her and he knows he has to do it but can't, and just drops his head in defeat, with tears in his eyes.  It's that wife who kept Morgan and Duane from going with Rick.   And then when we finally meet Morgan again, we find out his weakness is what caused his son's death.  And then he's forced to do it, only it's now his wife and son he has to put down.  Just one of the worst stories so far in the ZA.

All of that is enough for me to love Morgan.  I also know that he was the first person to offer help and kindness to Rick.  And he left a deep impression on Rick, who went on to use the walkie-talkie daily to warn him away from Atlanta.  The character is tragic, but the actor is charismatic, good (which isn't always true on this show), hot (in my humble opinion), and a throw back to when this show was absolutely don't miss.  Between seasons two and three, Kirkman was on TTD and being questioned if we might be seeing Merle or Morgan again.  He teased that we would be seeing one of them - which turned out to be Merle.  I was so disappointed, but ended up loving Merle's story that season.

• Love 8

From the "Coda" episode thread:

I am also in the camp (no, not DinnerBell) that found most of this, after the first five minutes, pretty boring. I don't mean slow, I mean boring. To compare, I found the last part with Morgan more compelling, and I could have watched more. The actor did better with the silence and the editing and directing were better. Introspection can be interesting, but I didn't find that to be the case with FPP.

I'm wondering if Morgan will now head toward DC, and how he will then find Rick (which I assume is inevitable), since I doubt Rick will now go to DC.

For those of you who know the show inside and out: do we know the significance of any of the items Morgan put on the altar? Thanks!

Just my opinion, but:

Rabbit foot - gave him luck.

Goo Goo cluster - reminder of his son

Bullet - I think he saved that bullet to kill himself but something kept him from doing it. Stumbling upon the church further cements his faith and he can finally let go of the bullet.

Morgan has only been on two episodes with a couple of additional teasers and he's one of the most compelling characters on the show and most of that is due to Lennie James's wonderful acting talent.  I think he, along with Scott Wilson, are the two best actors the show has had. 

Morgan had gone crazy, but he was also a fortifying badass.

I'm almost surprised Morgan didn't recognize the tribute to his own ingenuity at the church.  "Hey, those pipe organ spikes, that looks like something I'd do."

• Love 6

I'm almost surprised Morgan didn't recognize the tribute to his own ingenuity at the church. "Hey, those pipe organ spikes, that looks like something I'd do."

I was thinking the same thing, but it looked like they were gone. I thought maybe this was to indicate a flash forward, but I couldn't figure out who would've taken them down.

Did we get a view of Morgan and the front of the church?  I thought we saw him approach from the side and then it cut to him being inside. 

ETA:  There's a brief moment of him standing in the door but it's from the view from the back of the church.  Spikes aren't seen but the steps are up fairly high and we can't see at all to the side.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

I liked him when he was an actual character. But these long tags at the end of the show where we're supposed to be all excited "Oh look! There's Morgan?" It's getting old. If they can't tell the stories right now that they're supposed to be telling right now, why should I be so excited that they won't botch his? Just work the actual narrative, and when it's time for him to become relevant again, bring him back then.

• Love 2

Did we get a view of Morgan and the front of the church? I thought we saw him approach from the side and then it cut to him being inside.

ETA: There's a brief moment of him standing in the door but it's from the view from the back of the church. Spikes aren't seen but the steps are up fairly high and we can't see at all to the side.

You're right—it may just be the camera angle:

http://youtu.be/NWHs2VIPTeo

I don't know if Morgan's going to appear and get terrible lines and stories. He was on the show during two very uneven periods (the messy first season and third season) and was fine. I do think he's a character who works best in limited doses, which is why I hope they keep this up for a while. 

His relationship with Rick always interested me so much. I'm not sure where they'll take it; maybe it's better to not even begin to know. I guess we'll see.

I do think he's pretty clearly not all there, and isn't coping well, as Rick would not be if his kids were gone (Rick's barely coping as it is). It's a believable progression from where he was in "Clear." I hope they won't lose this progression if or when he's with the group and the shoutathons start.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3

I'm almost surprised Morgan didn't recognize the tribute to his own ingenuity at the church.  "Hey, those pipe organ spikes, that looks like something I'd do."

I was thinking the same thing, but it looked like they were gone. I thought maybe this was to indicate a flash forward, but I couldn't figure out who would've taken them down.

Didn't Abraham and his big a** firetruck take out the stairs and most of the organ spikes?

On topic, I love Morgan and I agree with someone upthread about Lennie James being one of the best actors on the show. I like these little glimpses we're getting of Morgan; I enjoy the mystery that surrounds his activities and the anticipation of when he will find Rick and the uncertainty of whether he's still unhinged. 

Part of me can't wait for him to meet up with Team Grimes but another part of me is worried that he'll meet some gruesome end shortly thereafter. They've teased us for so long with Morgan, I at least want him to be a regular part of the show for 1 season before they kill him. His death would gut me as much as Hershel's death did. 

• Love 6

I liked him when he was an actual character. But these long tags at the end of the show where we're supposed to be all excited "Oh look! There's Morgan?" It's getting old. If they can't tell the stories right now that they're supposed to be telling right now, why should I be so excited that they won't botch his? Just work the actual narrative, and when it's time for him to become relevant again, bring him back then.

His relationship with Rick always interested me so much. I'm not sure where they'll take it; maybe it's better to not even begin to know. I guess we'll see.

I do think he's pretty clearly not all there, and isn't coping well, as Rick would not be if his kids were gone (Rick's barely coping as it is). It's a believable progression from where he was in "Clear." I hope they won't lose this progression if or when he's with the group and the shoutathons start.

I like the Morgan trailers as well because they are bringing an element of the unknown that is often lacking in the main storyline.

I hope this doesn't get dragged out for much longer. I want it resolved - as he he meets up with Rick - before the season finale. I can't imagine how he will catch up to our gang or when, if he is weeks behind them. I also wonder about why he is being brought back into the story out this point. (No complaints because he is a interesting character.)

I read speculation somewhere here (perhaps in the "Coda" episode thread?) that Morgan is now a baddie.

And we've speculated for weeks whether he might be a love interest for Carol or Michonne. (I know, shipper talk = bad.)

What is it that makes Morgan so compelling? Is it Lennie James' performance &/or charisma? The fact that the character is now so underwritten we can project our own feelings onto him?

That could be interesting if Morgan showed up and was a "bad guy" now. I don't really want that to happen, because I really like the character. But it's feasible, and it could be interesting if done right. The other thing that would be interesting is seeing how the group dynamic would change if he joined up with CDB. You can only have so many leader-types in the group. You have Rick, and Sgt. Moobs clearly has some of that alpha going. Daryl and Glenn are good right-hand men, respectively. Ty and Eugene and FPP will just over there -----> crying in the corner. Where does Morgan fit in? He's clearly smart and used to making decisions on his own for a very long time. How many right hand men can Rick have? There are so many people in this group to begin with, would his joining be a step towards one of these other dudes (Glenn maybe?) dying?

• Love 3

What is it that makes Morgan so compelling? Is it Lennie James' performance &/or charisma?

Yep, my money is on precisely that. Lennie James is just that awesome. He has been head and shoulders above everybody else in every show I've ever seen him in. Hell, I'll even confess to have stuck with and rather enjoyed Low Winter Sun pretty much exclusively due to Lennie. Love that guy!

If we're ever fortunate enough to have Morgan as a regular on this show, I'd hope they'd put him into sort of a "New Shane" role. Closest thing to Rick's equal, uneasy friendship/alliance, unsteady trust, on the same side for the most part but frequently disagree on how to proceed, simultaneously teammate and foil, etc.

I don't really think Rick has had a check to his authority like that since Shane. Daryl is great, but too loyal/deferential to Rick and too much of a beta/follower in general to play that role. Michonne could be that, but it doesn't look like the show wants her to be that. Again, too loyal/deferential to Rick and not nearly vocal enough. Abe and Rick have butted heads, but they don't have the necessary relationship/history, nor does Abe really have any gravitas with anybody in CDB. Herschel? Maybe kinda, but not enough antagonism between them, Herschel to me was more of the angel on Rick's shoulder than anything. And he's gone now anyway. Glenn? Nah.

I'd want Morgan to be the guy who occasionally says "Rick, you're being an asshole here, and I will fight you on this if I have to." As much of a loose cannon as Shane, with all the occasional "you know, he's being a dick, but he kinda makes a good point" moments, but obviously (and thankfully) sans all the Lori/Carl baggage.

And of course, the total badass factor would be through the roof as well. Imagine an armed-to-the-teeth Rick, Michonne, Abe, Carl, Daryl, Carol and Morgan slow-walking away from an exploding something-or-other without looking back. Fuck yeah!

• Love 6
It may be forgotten, but it was Morgan who came up with the questions, not Rick. How many have you killed? etc. It was also Morgan who gave Rick the term "walkers".

Yup. When we first watched season 4, I didn't make the connection. But when re-watching season one after season 4, I realized it was indeed Morgan. Too bad they didn't take some fortifying lessons from him as well. 

• Love 3

Yup. When we first watched season 4, I didn't make the connection. But when re-watching season one after season 4, I realized it was indeed Morgan. Too bad they didn't take some fortifying lessons from him as well. 

Exactly; how cool would a Morgan Jones welcome mat have been at the doorway of the church the night Gareth and gang came calling?

• Love 4

I saw a commercial already for a New Years Marathon and I may have to hunker down for this because it's been so long since I watched the pilot or season 1 and I'd like to go back and recall these things. For 2 years I was like "where da F is morgan?" 

• Love 3

I hope you all are right.  I remember all the hype about the Gov, and Tyrese, and Abraham.  Then, they showed up on our screen and . . . *fizzzz*.

True, I did like Morgan's character in the two episodes he was in.  But, I'm not sure how he's going to play with our team.  From what I've heard the T V Michonne plays differently than does the comic Michonne.

So, I'm being cautious.

• Love 2

Didn't Abraham and his big a** firetruck take out the stairs and most of the organ spikes?

Heh, true and Abe probably wiped out more when they drove away.  But a couple might have been standing and some lying around.  It wouldn't have taken Morgan half a second to figure out how they were set up.

I thought the group did a good Morganesque job fortifying the church - too good.  It took Michonne and Carl forever to break open the door to rescue Father Pee-Pants.

I forgot about "walkers" and the three questions.  Morgan's fingerprints have been all over this show even when he wasn't there.  If only Rick had thought to outfit his group with walkie-talkies (something the Terminus people got right).

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 2

Important to add that to this day (on the show) Morgan Jones was the first person to really get it. He had already---so soon after the ZA began---studied what time of day or night they were most active, what senses were strongest, how they had to be hit through the head etc.

We've encountered people since who didn't know you need a head wound, who didn't know if you commit suicide by hanging or antifreeze you die but you still turn, etc. Season 4 and the fruit hippies, while lovable, still couldn't hit a close-up walker with needing 5 shots (according to their own admission) and didn't yet knife one in the head?

We've encountered people (like the ones at the prison) who thought a little bite or even scratch from a walker's broken bone wasn't serious. I know they were not on the outside world, but they had seen the walkers in the prison and nobody else apparently got any help from the news before it went down. Even after Rick specifically explained it to them they didn't get it.

Other people didn't ask the important questions, etc. Morgan had a very quick mind and very quick ability to adapt. The part about his wife and son was just his emotional weakness (understandable) but when we saw him again in Season 3 he may be loopy emotionally but very apparently still has such sharp intelligence about defending himself all alone, tricking walkers and human enemies into traps, even disposing of bodies and keeping maps of his areas already dealt with.

He made CDB look like slow-learners (they are) and it's funny that some question his return but were with us saying For God's sake why don't you build a barrier like Morgan had? Why don't you make traps, and bait walkers and make security plans like Morgan did?

As with Jericho, he's gonna bring the guerilla warfare specialty...and it's about time they amp up shit instead of this meandering wander till we meet trouble and try to kill it with a fireplace poker. Get a serious operation going!

• Love 7

Yep, Morgan and Duane were searching for food and Morgan went down into a basement I think. The mom showed up (with her zombie homing skills), and Duane couldn't move, and she "was just ON HIM." 

Jenny Jones had some mad zombie skills—she rattled the doorknob and tried to look in the peephole.

tumblr_mu34k0Holo1qm0jbfo6_r1_500.gif

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 3

She is my absolutely least favorite zombie ever. The way she opens and closes her mouth. UGH.

Also, I noticed when rewatching season 1, the zombies have normal eyes ringed by red versus the white eyes of today.

• Love 2

She is my absolutely least favorite zombie ever. The way she opens and closes her mouth. UGH.

Also, I noticed when rewatching season 1, the zombies have normal eyes ringed by red versus the white eyes of today.

She was sort of gulping like a goldfish, IIRC.

• Love 1

The poor thing, she still had a tiny residual memory, that's what made her heartbreaking.  Not shooting her when he should have was Morgan's one fatal (for Duane) mistake, but other than that he's been pretty damn brilliant.  He went nuts for a while but even his madness manifested as something that was useful - OCD trapmaking.

If I could assemble a ZA team, Morgan is on the list.  

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3

He's probably better off right now than he will be. Walking around alone, reacting to things, with no horrible lines to have to read convincingly or ridiculous plot holes to spackle over, he's got the best job on the show. 

Yep, pretty much. Morgan has been a nice character because he has appeared in some of the best episodes, and rather infrequently. If he becomes a regular, he'll be subject to this show's particular cabal of writers, and it's rather unlikely he can withstand their modus operandi and still remain as compelling.

Edited by Ronin Jackson
  • Love 1

I hope you all are right.  I remember all the hype about the Gov, and Tyrese, and Abraham.  Then, they showed up on our screen and . . . *fizzzz*.

True, I did like Morgan's character in the two episodes he was in.  But, I'm not sure how he's going to play with our team.  From what I've heard the T V Michonne plays differently than does the comic Michonne.

So, I'm being cautious.

There's a big difference between comic characters being introduced into the show and bringing back an established character. Tyreese was screwed because characters like Daryl had taken most of his role on the show. Abraham and The Governor were both too OTT for the TV show.

Yep, pretty much. Morgan has been a nice character because he has appeared in some of the best episodes, and rather infrequently. If he becomes a regular, he'll be subject to this show's particular cabal of writers, and it's rather unlikely he can withstand their modus operandi and still remain as compelling.

I don't think it's necessarily about a cabal of writers - Rick, Carol, Michonne, etc. are subjected to them and still seem very compelling to me. Other than Maggie, who has had a lot of writing problems the past few seasons, I think the show has done OK with maintaining long-term characters. 

My concern is more that I just don't know if Morgan is suited to being a character who makes more than occasional appearances. As others have mentioned, Rick already has plenty of guys who are at his hand. Morgan wouldn't play that type of role anyway. If he was asked to defer to Rick he'd literally laugh in their face. 

I do wonder if they are bringing him back to be a quasi-antagonist.

If not I have a feeling he may just be on long enough to once again be a mirror to Rick and make Rick wonder where he's going and what he's going to become.

• Love 1

I've loved Lennie solely for Jericho, where he went from a character that kind of annoyed me, to one of my favourite on television possibly ever. I love what he's done with Morgan. But I also am hesitant like the rest of you to get too excited. Sometimes too much of a good thing can go terribly. But Lennie has been proven to elevate even the weirdest of storylines and writing (I love Jericho, but I'm not saying it's Shakespeare or anything). 

For me, I'm just interested to see where his head is at now. Like Rick, he went from stable to crazytown to lethal, seemingly strong, warrior. Given he can't be exactly like Rick, I'm interested to see where they deviate. Also, interested in what the hell those marks on the trees are all about. 

• Love 2

I was just looking at the Imgur photo recap of No Sanctuary, and I loved how it ended. 

It shows Morgan with his face mask on: "Guess who"

Next pic, mask off:  "Morgan Jones Bitches.  A fan favorite even though this is the 3rd episode I've been in".

It says it all.  The build up to Morgan is amazing - don't disappoint me show!

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 3

They were fresher then.

• Love 1

So happy to see "Morgan Jones Bitches"!  Here are my fears:  That he's going to be in an oppositional position to Rick.  Morgan showed mercy to those W's in a way that CDB hasn't shown since they saved Randall.  I don't think he will be in agreement with Rick's style.  I would hate for them to be adversaries.  My second fear - having to read people criticizing Morgan incessantly because he showed mercy, and thinks all life is precious.  Then the coward and weak accusations begin.  Not looking forward to it.

• Love 1

I don't think he's weak, but misguided. You can't leave those type of people alive. They will take more precious life than you would in taking theirs. Kind of like Rick swinging from "we don't kill the living" to "we need to go back and kill them all."

I hope we get some scenes of him and Rick catching up. 

• Love 1

I don't think he's weak, but misguided. You can't leave those type of people alive. They will take more precious life than you would in taking theirs. Kind of like Rick swinging from "we don't kill the living" to "we need to go back and kill them all."

Morgan will probably plead the "At least MY hands are clean" defense.

Which will be small consolation to the latest Redshirt - excuse me - Red Poncho.

I hope we get some scenes of him and Rick catching up.

Better than even odds the first episode of next season is "Catching Up With Morgan".

My second fear - having to read people criticizing Morgan incessantly because he showed mercy, and thinks all life is precious.  Then the coward and weak accusations begin.  Not looking forward to it.

I don't think Morgan is a coward or weak. His opening scene proved that. He had that gun pointed on him and didn't even bat an eye. 

I am not a fan, however, of him leaving those Wolves alive. I'm not going to hate him for it. He's been one of my favorites since day one, and I am open to hearing more about what's transpired with him and where he got this attitude from. But I just think it's really really stupid to leave such a menace alive where they can, and will, go prey on other good people. 

• Love 2