Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Continuing on with rap... NWA. Since they only had released two albums, the listening was short. Started yesterday, completed today. Overall, Straight Out of Compton I liked the best strictly because of Ice Cube. His voice and delivery carried the whole album along with Dr. Dre beats. Um...  Niggaz4Life... even though I would rate it higher than SOOC, but its so edgy and no filter at all at times most of the time that it begins to be funny. 🤔

Straight Out of Compton (1988) - 4.6/10

Niggaz4Life (1991) - 6.9/10

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Like 1
(edited)

I'm listening to Council Skies (Deluxe) by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.  This is Noel's 4th solo album since walking away from Oasis.  I'm in love with the man.  I think this the best of the 4 NGHFB albums.  Most of his solo music is not like Oasis, but also not not-like Oasis.

The cardboard cutout in the first video is Pep Guardiola, manager of English Premier League team Manchester City Football Club, Noel and Liam's lifelong side. In 2022/23, they won an historic treble:  EPL league champions, FA Cup champions, and Champions League champions.  Brilliant.

Open the Door, See What You Find:

Easy Now:

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Think Of A Number (Pet Shop Boys Remix):

Edited by Oosala
  • Like 1
(edited)

@Rushmoras, you are an amazing person to take it upon yourself to broaden your musical interests by listening to such disparate artists and genres.  I personally really like Gangster Rap and Hip Hop (West Coast, please).  Next, listen to Dr. Dre or Snoop Dogg's stuff.  It's confusing though because they all sing on one another's tracks/albums.  Word of warning: you'd be wise to steer clear of DMX.  He's too much, even for me.

Or try the girl rap and hip-hop groups of the '90s. Salt-N-Pepa, Eve, and my favorite, TLC.

Edited by Oosala
  • Like 1
(edited)
On 7/22/2023 at 10:03 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Clips of the  movie The Greatest Days , musical about friends who grew up loving the music of a boy band . 

So much love for this video.  They are totally channeling The Derry Girls going to see Take That in Series 2, Episode 3.  This seems like a real rip-off.

I just love Aisling Bea.  She is one of the funniest comedians ever.  She's on a lot of those UK panel shows.

Edited by Oosala
  • Applause 1

I have listened to Ryan Gosling’s “Just Ken” from Barbie about 20 times and I regret nothing.

If this song isn’t nominated for Best Song just so that we can get him to perform it with all the Kens at the Oscars, we have failed as society.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 7/24/2023 at 9:02 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Derry Girls was so funny, they deserved more seasons than 3.

I loved Every Single Character on that show.  I can't really pick a favorite but Sister Michael comes to mind.  I can't tell you how many times I've re-watched this series.  The Cranberries songs were just a bonus.

Topic:  This.  One of my Desert Island Discs.  Morrissey's voice and Johnny Fuckin' Marr's tremolo.  Masterful.

Edited to add a note to younger music fans.  The voice you hear in this video is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT A REAL VOICE.  This is what that sounds like.  This is not a mechanically or electronically enhanced voice.  This is a man named Steven Patrick Morrissey singing straight into a mic for a video.  This is what ALL music used to be and what ALL music should be.  /end Boomer rant

Edited by Oosala
  • Love 1

@Rushmoras, hell yeah.  It's all about the West Side.  When it started playing, I threw up the sign!  Love the G-Funk genre and that west coast sound.  I don't love Jim Morrison (overrated), but he was right when he said 'The west is the best, get here and we'll do the rest."

• Applause 1
20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

A hair-metal power ballad throwback from my teen years!

I don't remember the album as a whole anymore, but I know I loved all the singles -- that one, "18 and Life", and "Youth Gone Wild". 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Bits of this masterpiece were in my head yesterday and I had one heck of a time figuring out the name of the song.  I only remembered "Livin' on a...", so naturally, all of my Google searches returned page after page of Livin' on a Prayer.  It was so frustrating.  Then I remembered Line being in the title, and, suddenly, I remember the whole thing.

It's a classic and was used in an episode of The Sopranos (best television show ever, along with Breaking Bad).  Someone did a compilation of the kills on the show and used this song.  I was traumatized with the killing of Adriana by Sylvio.  I remember insisting she wasn't really dead, and my husband telling me, "She was a rat. Rats get killed."  I give you Livin' on a Thin Line, by The Kinks.  TRIGGER WARNING for graphic images.

Here's a different version if you don't want the violence.  "But there's no England now."

Edited by Oosala
  • Applause 1

And with "Everythangs Corrupt" (2018) completed Ice Cube discography.

As always,subjective assessments of each album:

1. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted (1990) - 5/10

2. Kill at Will (1990) - 2.9/10

3. Death Certificate (1991) - 5/10

4. The Predator (1992) - 4.4/10

5. Lethal Injection (1993) - 6.7/10

6. War and Peace Volume 1 (1998) - 6.7/10

7. War and Peace Volume 2 (2000) - 7.2/10

8. Laugh Now, Cry Later (2006) - 3.8/10

9. Raw Footage (2008) - 6.3/10

10. I Am The West (2010) - 6.9/10

11. Everythangs Corrupt (2018) - 6.3/10