Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

They said that Jerome is the proto Joker, the one that the real Joker will emulate later. Don't know if that's true or not, but I'm thinking they just can't call him the Joker because of DC's weird rules in their not connected in any way movie/tv universes.

I am really looking forward to Barbara's storyline this season. I never would've said that last season. They went with what works instead forcing what doesn't. Smart move Gotham writers.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

I'm doing the Dr. Who marathon right now.  I hadn't been able to see anything from season 8 before now.  I'm up to the fifth episode so far.   

I wasn't able to form an opinion on the new Doctor immediately so I'm glad to be marathoning rather than having to wait week to week because he just doesn't get enough screen time to get who he is until a few episodes in.  I like him but I think I understand the complaints about Clara now.  I don't dislike her but she has been pulling focus from the Doctor which makes sense in the first couple episodes, letting the audience ease into the new actor but if that continues, yeah, that could become annoying. 

I don't think I'll have too much of a problem since it's more the kind of thing that would bug me if I dwelt on it but no time for that. ;)

• Love 1

I'm doing the Dr. Who marathon right now.  I hadn't been able to see anything from season 8 before now.  I'm up to the fifth episode so far.   

I wasn't able to form an opinion on the new Doctor immediately so I'm glad to be marathoning rather than having to wait week to week because he just doesn't get enough screen time to get who he is until a few episodes in.  I like him but I think I understand the complaints about Clara now.  I don't dislike her but she has been pulling focus from the Doctor which makes sense in the first couple episodes, letting the audience ease into the new actor but if that continues, yeah, that could become annoying. 

I don't think I'll have too much of a problem since it's more the kind of thing that would bug me if I dwelt on it but no time for that. ;)

The best thing about season 8 is the mysterious woman, which I won't say more about since I have no idea how spoiled you've been about her. but... yea, if you have't you'll see :-)

The best thing about season 8 is the mysterious woman, which I won't say more about since I have no idea how spoiled you've been about her. but... yea, if you have't you'll see :-)

I think I've been accidentally spoiled when the topic of whether or not we'd want to see a female Doctor came up.  At the time I thought I was just forgetting something that had happened in an earlier episode but since I've just done a marathon of those too and it didn't come up, so yeah, I have a feeling I already know the twist with the mysterious woman.  But all the whys and hows are still playing out.  So there's that. 

They said that Jerome is the proto Joker, the one that the real Joker will emulate later. Don't know if that's true or not, but I'm thinking they just can't call him the Joker because of DC's weird rules in their not connected in any way movie/tv universes.

I said it in the thread for Jerome's debut, and I'm sticking with it, the kid in the coonskin cap that led Cicero into the police station is Joker.  My guess he's friends with Jerome, and adopts Jerome's mannerisms later on.

Also it's freaking Joker, there has to be a mystery about his backstory.

Hopefully Gotham is improved this season, which I'm thinking it will be.  They know ahead of time how much time they've got, unlike last year when they got an extra 6 episodes and had to stretch everything out.  That said, I've got to repeat something I've said before, whomever does their casting deserves a raise.  Ben McKenzie, Donal Logue, Robin Lord Taylor, and Cory Michael Smith have all done a fantastic job with their roles, and you've got Anthony Carrigan as Zsasz and John Doman as Falcone.  They hit the casting lottery.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 1

It's really too bad SA doesn't think more like Erik Larson (author of The Devil in the White City, In the Garden of Beasts, etc.)

These must be hard times for our 2.6 million fellow countrymen who happen to be Muslim, and who of late have heard almost daily the term used in a manner that suggests that it is not so much a way of being but rather a slur or “smear.” It brings to mind an encounter I had last year on a cross-country flight.

A man in his thirties sat in the seat beside mine. As the plane taxied to the runway, I happened to glance at something he was reading, and noticed it was an article on a subject related to research conducted by my wife, who is a physician-scientist specializing in the care of critically ill newborn babies.

I don’t usually strike up conversations on airplanes, though I do like a good chat because it takes my mind off flying. I asked the man whether he too was a neonatologist and whether he knew my wife, and we began to talk. He introduced himself by his first name, Mohamed. What followed was one of the most interesting conversations I’ve had on a mode of transportation. It ranged over a broad array of topics, including medicine, public health, politics, and parenthood, and lasted most of the flight. As the plane made its final approach to Newark International, he turned to me and said something that left me dumbfounded and sad.

With great warmth and evident emotion, he thanked me for talking to him. It surprised me, in part because usually when I talk to people on airplanes they immediately cover their ears with noise-canceling earphones. He looked genuinely grateful. “It isn’t often that people will talk to me, because of how I look,” he said.

He clarified: “Because I am Muslim.”

This was a revelation to me, though it shouldn’t have been. My first reaction was disbelief—how could anyone not want to talk to this engaging and articulate man. My second reaction was, how could I ever presume even to imagine what this man went through in his daily life, in encounters at gas stations, food stores, schools, and such. His reality was so different from mine, simply because he looked different and embraced Islam as his religion.

It must be hard indeed in these times to be Muslim, now that the politics of paranoid style, as the historian Richard Hofstadter so brilliantly put it, have once again been given free reign in America.

http://harpers.org/archive/1964/11/the-paranoid-style-in-american-politics/

https://www.facebook.com/ErikLarsonAuthor

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 6

Just saw the beginning of Doctor Who

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

Caught up before I went to bed last night/this morning.

Nope, didn't see that coming. After 3 days of constant Dr Who I'm going through withdrawals. I have to wait til next week to find out what's going to happen??? Agh!!

;)

• Love 2

I can't stand Kristen Stewart. I feel like she does the same movie over and over again. Or if it's just her mannerisms. Because all she does in films is play with her hair, bite her lip and scoffs out loud in the films. Look closely. She does the shaking of her head a lot too.

• Love 2

Gotham's premiere was good, don't know how the rest of the season will fare. The biggest change is, I'm more interested in Barbara than Jim now. 

It also has James Frain who is attempting to be on every single show on the air right now. 

• Love 1

Scream Queens is the only new network show I'm interested in to be honest. It looks like a campy mess and I need something that's just pure fun at the minute, and I hope it lives up to my expectations. Obviously it's a Ryan Murphy show so it could go off the rails at any minute, but watching its inevitable downfall could be fun too. Unless it's like AHS: Freakshow which didn't even have the decency to be a hot mess.

Just ready for my returning favourites to come back.

• Love 1

I feel like RM or Jamie Lee Curtis said somewhere Scream Queens was a limited run or at least a contained season. It seems like if you only want to invest in only 1 season that may be an option. It seems like he plans on giving all the answers by the end of s1. He said he's dropping hints in every episode.

For those ALIAS & Scandal  fans on this board, apparently Mia Maestro will be having a recurring role on Scandal as a lobbyist. Here's hoping the TVline prediction is not correct. I don't want to see her

romantically involved with the president. I've had enough of Fitz in love triangles.

. Personally I hope if she does get romantic its with Jake.

http://tvline.com/gallery/fall-tv-predictions-greys-anatomy-meredith-romance/#!21/scandal/

If there are any Broadway fans here, the Hamilton soundtrack is streaming on NPR. http://www.npr.org/2015/09/21/440925873/first-listen-cast-recording-hamilton

I'll be working in NYC in Feb for two months, and this show is number 1 on my list of stuff I want to do/see/eat.

Thanks for the posting. I've been listening to Part 1. It's really good! It helps that I love American History, Hip Hop & Musicals. I guess I'm in that target audience Venn Diagram for this show, which I imagine is not that big - but maybe I'm wrong. If you are able to see the show, you have to tell us how it is. Hopefully it tours, but a trip to NYC wouldn't be the worse thing.

Thanks for the posting. I've been listening to Part 1. It's really good! It helps that I love American History, Hip Hop & Musicals. I guess I'm in that target audience Venn Diagram for this show, which I imagine is not that big - but maybe I'm wrong. 

It's getting great reviews so I hope I'm able to get tickets. I wish my job would lock down the dates we'll be in NY so I could get them now. I didn't know I wanted a hip hop musical about Alexander Hamilton, but I'm glad we got one.

• Love 1

It's getting great reviews so I hope I'm able to get tickets. I wish my job would lock down the dates we'll be in NY so I could get them now. I didn't know I wanted a hip hop musical about Alexander Hamilton, but I'm glad we got one.

I don't listen to much hip hop but I really enjoyed Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In the Heights." My sister saw "Hamilton" Off-Broadway and loved it.

Good luck getting tickets! I'm a huge theatre buff and I've learned that no matter how popular and "sold out" a show may be, it never hurts to go to the box office and ask if they have any tix left. When people were going crazy for "The Producers" with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane, my friend and I made our way to the box office through the huge lottery crowd and asked if there were any tix available for the next week and we actually had a few nights from which to choose. This worked for Wicked and Jersey Boys but not for Book of Mormon.

This is an interesting article by a Playbill intern who entered the Ham4Ham lottery every day for a week:

http://m.playbill.com/news/article/go-ham-or-go-home-i-rushed-hamilton-for-a-week-and-heres-what-happened-357985

• Love 1

No love for Supergirl or Legends of Tomorrow?

Can't believe I forgot about both of those shows while on the Arrow forum. I'm just not particularly convinced that either of those shows will be good. I want Supergirl to succeed and be a good though... Legends of Tomorrow is from pretty much the same people who make Arrow and The Flash, right? I'm all in for Arrow season four, but...I don't know if I'm that excited about another new show from these people, even if I will probably check it out for Lotz, Garber and the likelihood that some of the Arrow characters I like will pop over at some point.  I'll give both Supergirl and LoT a chance eventually.

Oh well. I'm super excited about Jessica Jones even if I don't think I'll bother finishing Daredevil season one. 

Good luck getting tickets! I'm a huge theatre buff and I've learned that no matter how popular and "sold out" a show may be, it never hurts to go to the box office and ask if they have any tix left. When people were going crazy for "The Producers" with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane, my friend and I made our way to the box office through the huge lottery crowd and asked if there were any tix available for the next week and we actually had a few nights from which to choose. This worked for Wicked and Jersey Boys but not for Book of Mormon.

Thanks for the advice! I tried for BoM tix last time I was there but ended up seeing the touring company when they came to LA. I did manage to see Wicked, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with ScarJo, and Breakfast at Tiffany's with Khaleesi. :D 

Can't believe I forgot about both of those shows while on the Arrow forum. I'm just not particularly convinced that either of those shows will be good. I want Supergirl to succeed and be a good though... Legends of Tomorrow is from pretty much the same people who make Arrow and The Flash, right? I'm all in for Arrow season four, but...I don't know if I'm that excited about another new show from these people, even if I will probably check it out for Lotz, Garber and the likelihood that some of the Arrow characters I like will pop over at some point.

Yeah it's from the same people, good news is from the preview it looks more like The Flash than Arrow, it looks like it will be a show that has fun.

As for returning shows for me.  There's Arrow, Flash, Supernatural, Big Bang Theory, Gotham, Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, and The Simpsons.  I know 2 of them premiered tonight, but Raw's on so I'll watch them later.

Grantland ran a piece that this was a pretty dismal TV season.  I'm not looking forward to much.  I want Minority Report and Limitless (or whatever that Bradley Cooper movie/show is called) to be good, but I fear they won't be.  I'm totally nonplussed by the previews for Blindspot, even though I adore Jaimie Alexander.  I might try that one just out of curiosity.  I'll watch LoT because a lot of my favorites moved there.  Total sucker for Wentworth Miller and Victor Garber and Caity Lotz.  

Returning Shows: Agent Carter, Empire, The Flash, Galavant, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, The Originals,  Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries, The Walking Dead

New Shows: Blindspot, LoT, Scream Queens

Maybes: Arrow, iZombie

The new fall shows didn't really wow me.

ETA:  Totally forgot about Ash vs The Evil Dead!

Edited by Morrigan2575

Returning show: ArrowAgent Carter, Flash AOS, DWTS, Criminal minds, Person of Interest, izombie

New shows: I'm giving Minority Report and Blindspot a chance later today (I DVRed their Pilot. And Supergirl and DC Legends of tomorrow.

The bold are the shows I'm looking forward too the most. 

I know it doesn't premiere until January but the show I am hands down most looking forward but not in the Fall is X-FIles.  Like, y'all don't even understand HOW excited I am for this. Like I'm giddy about it.

Fall Returning Shows:  Arrow, Supernatural, The Walking Dead, Grimm, Doctor Who( after the premiere I'm interested again) GalavantLuther.

Maybes: The Flash and LoT. I can't help it. I resent them both for Arrow reasons but I'll check out the premiere of LoT for Victor Garber and Caity Lotz reasons but that's it.

Not particularly interested enough in any of the new shows to actively seek them out. If I come across them or am bored I'll check them out.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1