Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

It's always like this during sdcc...imagine how little sleep you'd get if you were there.

Just watched the leaked SS trailer...meh. More of that grimdark DC crap and while SS is definitely a dark comic it's also pretty freaking funny/snarky. Would it kill DC to crack a joke once in awhile?

I'll pass on SS and BvS.

I know it's mean to wish failure on anyone, but I kind of hope SS tanks so the show can get Michael Rowe/Deadshot back. (Full disclosure: I'm not invested in DC at all except for Arrow)

• Love 2
(edited)

A little off the current topic. . .

Is anybody else having a really hard time doing anything else this weekend because you're way too absorbed in all of the news from SDCC? This is my first year paying much attention live and/or participating on a site like this. I'm getting fewer than four hours of sleep each night and have obsessively watched or read anything posted here.

Is it always like this on SDCC weekend, or am I just an over-zealous newbie?

This how it is for me every SDCC. I spend the weekend watching panels and interviews on Youtube. It was a lot worse when I was there, for panels you want to get there hours before and wait in line to get in. Then if there was another panel you want to see, if you want your seat you have to sit there through the rest of the panels. So it was very tiring, but one of the best experiences. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

A little off the current topic. . .

Is anybody else having a really hard time doing anything else this weekend because you're way too absorbed in all of the news from SDCC? This is my first year paying much attention live and/or participating on a site like this. I'm getting fewer than four hours of sleep each night and have obsessively watched or read anything posted here.

Is it always like this on SDCC weekend, or am I just an over-zealous newbie?

Yesterday making dinner was my lone accomplishment (never got around to breakfast or lunch) and then it took me until 3 AM before I managed to get back to the kitchen to put things away.  (Good thing noodles don't go bad very fast) 

So far today I went outside for like two minutes and ate leftovers from last night.  Yeah, nothing else is getting done. 

• Love 2

So sad to hear Tony award winning actor Roger Rees passed away. Not sure how many West Wing or Cheers fans are here. But I absolutely loved WW and Roger Rees was one of my fave recurring actors as Lord John Marbury! I know he was far more talented and accomplished, but even in the bit role I can still remember him years later. I also remember my parents watching Cheers, so I vaguely remember the British accent guy. Since I was obsessed with accents growing up (still sorta am). He was just one of those guys that made whatever role he was given bigger & better.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/tony-award-winning-actor-roger-rees-dies-71-32379222

• Love 1

So sad to hear Tony award winning actor Roger Rees passed away. Not sure how many West Wing or Cheers fans are here. But I absolutely loved WW and Roger Rees was one of my fave recurring actors as Lord John Marbury! I know he was far more talented and accomplished, but even in the bit role I can still remember him years later. I also remember my parents watching Cheers, so I vaguely remember the British accent guy. Since I was obsessed with accents growing up (still sorta am). He was just one of those guys that made whatever role he was given bigger & better.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/tony-award-winning-actor-roger-rees-dies-71-32379222

Oh!!! lord Marbury!!! he was always a peach... Ms. Bartlett hated him.. i think. I should to do a rewatch of TWW it's been a couple of years since I've watched it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh!!! lord Marbury!!! he was always a peach... Ms. Bartlett hated him.. i think. I should to do a rewatch of TWW it's been a couple of years since I've watched it.

Mrs Bartlett adored him it was Jed that couldn't stand him.

He was also wonderful as The Sheriff of Rodingham in Robim Hood, Men in Tights.

Very sad to hear that he passed.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
(edited)

If you haven't seen this yet (it's posted in the AoS and AC forums), it's hilarious - I wish Arrow & The Flash actors would do something like this...

Agents of SHIELD/Agent Carter Dubsmash Standoff

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I must be awful at spotting future stars because when I watched Pan Am I thought Robbie was the least engaging actress of those four ladies. I did like her but I'm shocked at how quickly her star has risen, but she was definitely my favourite part of that Suicide Squad trailer. She looks like she had a lot of fun playing Harley Quinn. Obviously beyond excited for Viola Davis as Waller, too.

• Love 1

I must be awful at spotting future stars because when I watched Pan Am I thought Robbie was the least engaging actress of those four ladies. I did like her but I'm shocked at how quickly her star has risen, but she was definitely my favourite part of that Suicide Squad trailer. She looks like she had a lot of fun playing Harley Quinn. Obviously beyond excited for Viola Davis as Waller, too.

Same here, I was so meh about her casting, especially the outfit (which i still don't really like), but seeing her in action in the trailer may have ruined me for any future live action versions of Harley- verdict will have to wait for when the movie comes out. I know she's the poster child of abusive relationship but she's Harley... how can you not like her?

(edited)

With the talk that was going on in the Behind the Scenes thread. On the Fan Favorite Panel with Maisie Williams, David Anders, Ming-Na Wen, Norman Reedus, Yvette Nicole Brown, Eliza Taylor and Wendi McLendon-Covey. They asked each other if they read the comments on the reviews/recaps of their shows. They all screamed "No!" and were telling each other to never ever read those. That would be like just asking for pain. 

David Anders talked about reading a message board when he was on Alias (All the other panelist started yelling "No, why would you do that") and it was mostly positive until he got to one that said he had a crooked lip. He got a bunch of stitches when he was younger and he thought that would be the reason he wouldn't get work in Hollywood. 

I know tend to rag on Cassidy a lot but even with other actors I try to keep it on their acting or lack of acting ability more than their looks. Unless it's Botox/Vanity Plastic Surgery because then they did that to themselves. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I'm finally catching up with all things non-Arrow that happened at SDCC.

Jeremy Carver got called out on all the fridging they do on SPN, and boy am I glad I finally quit that fucking show after watching it for a decade. But I just refuse to watch after

Charlie died

, I just can't anymore.

His answer was just as disgusting as I figured it would be:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannabennett/supernatural-fridging-confronted#.dg4qB8xpGk

At least the cast seems to be aware that he just supremely sucks at being a human being about lady characters.

• Love 3

For those interested Ant-Man has a 73% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

I saw "Spy" with Melissa McCarthy over the weekend, that movie was hilarious. And I can see why it has a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Jeremy Carver got called out on all the fridging they do on SPN, and boy am I glad I finally quit that fucking show after watching it for a decade. But I just refuse to watch after

Charlie died

, I just can't anymore.

I saw gifs of that last night, and it was hilarious - in a really sad way. I'm only sporadically watching SPN now, though I still love the boys. That show's my favorite example of why you should end a show in a reasonable amount of time. Preferably when it's still good.

• Love 3

That's exactly why I hope Arrow doesn't go beyond 5 or 6 seasons, calliope1975. I don't want to see it turn into Smallville, SPN, etc. The thing that gives me some hope is that The CW has more comic-based shows now to keep the male demo that they seem to wet themselves over so much.

• Love 3

Anyone watching The Astronaut Wives Club? It didn't seem like a show I'd like but I'm finding myself fascinated by these women. It helps that they are based off real people, so there is no tropes for them. They act like real women (in that time period) would act. Take Yvonne Strahovski's character, she's the tall blonde pretty one, most tv writers would've made her the bitchy one. When she's the almost the nicest one, or the one that is always ready to help them out, especially when they are being made uncomfortable or made fun of. Because she doesn't care what others think of her. 

• Love 1

Anyone watching The Astronaut Wives Club? It didn't seem like a show I'd like but I'm finding myself fascinated by these women. It helps that they are based off real people, so there is no tropes for them. They act like real women (in that time period) would act. Take Yvonne Strahovski's character, she's the tall blonde pretty one, most tv writers would've made her the bitchy one. When she's the almost the nicest one, or the one that is always ready to help them out, especially when they are being made uncomfortable or made fun of. Because she doesn't care what others think of her. 

Just watched the pilot and a few scenes from various episodes here & there. I love it. It's a show I'm watching with my Mom for bonding time, so we're a little behind due to scheduling complications. But so far its impressive, the stories feel very authentic and I like the portrayal of women in it. My Mom likes to talk about how things were different for females back then, which is historically true. Sometimes its easy to forget how different lives & expectations were. I love that it shows that there can be different types of female strengths. I plan on reading the book when the season is done. YS has been a favorite of mine since Chuck, right now I think she might be my fav of the group.

• Love 2

I like YS's character, and Joanne Garcia  Switzer's, and the woman with the stutter.  I don't much care for any of the other women, and one of them I dislike intensely.

I find it weird watching the show and what the women are limited to. It's an insight into what my mother-in-law went through.  She was the smartest one in her birth family (and both her sons have PhD's, intelligence being on the X chromosome) but she never finished high school while her siblings became teachers and engineers because her teachers felt that women didn't need an education since they were just going to be housewives anyway.

In the 60s, my mother was a doctor with a family practice and most of her friends were professionals, and when I'm watching the show I find I get upset at how these women were kept from being able to be all that they could be.

I was listening to a program on women in science, and one women interviewed said that she applied to NASA to be an astronaut and got a letter back saying that they would never, ever let women into the space program.

• Love 2

Just came home from Ant-Man. Three word review: I HAD FUN!

Also, for those of you going, there's a mid-credits scene [nice!], and a post-credits scene [*omg freak out*].

It's a Marvel movie, so I would expect nothing less. Marvel knows not take their movies so seriously and just have fun with it. 

GAH, yes, death to 3D.

The 3D they did in Avatar is soooo not the same 3D they have been slapping on all the moves since.  Avatar was filmed in 3D  while most of everything since has had a 3D effect applied to the finished film which makes it dark and grey and except for the most blatant scenes, ineffective.

I usually wear the 3D glasses over my glasses and most of the time that wasn't the issue but there was one movie where I had to watch the whole thing with a glare coming off of my glasses reflecting into the 3D glasses. 

What 3D adds just hasn't been worth it IMO, at least since Avatar.  I remember being BLOWN away by it in Avatar and I'm talking about just walking through a cafeteria and past a control center, not even the pretty BRIGHT other scenes.  That's why I differentiate between filmed as 3D (which I swear almost NO one does) and added to.   

The issue with 3D for me is, I've been to Universal and Disney and seen amazing 3D, where it actually looks like things are floating right in front of your face, where you reach out and try to grab it. The 3D in movies is nowhere that and if it was they would probably charge 50 bucks a ticket. That and movie 3D give me a headache. 

• Love 2