Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I cannot sing that! (Total Eclipse of the Heart) Even when I turn on the helping voice I just cannot master that tune! 

Hubs and I used to sing one half of From the Bottom of My Broken Heart each and we both always wanted to sing the bit that goes "But you put a dart, through my dreams through my heart and I'm back where I started again" (hehe gotta love 90s pop rhymes!)

Finally one day we worked out we could just sing the song once each instead of half the song! So stupid! 

• Love 1

I read about it in Everything Else TV. Am I imagining things or have there been rumors about his cheating for years? I wasn't shocked at all, unlike with the Chis Pratt/Ana Faris split, which almost got a gasp out of me.

@Mellowyellow, you mentioned The Resident in another thread and it having villains. I thought it was a medical show. It has villains?

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I read about it in Everything Else TV. Am I imagining things or have there been rumors about his cheating for years? I wasn't shocked at all, unlike with the Chis Pratt/Ana Faris split, which almost got a gasp out of me.

@Mellowyellow, you mentioned The Resident in another thread and it having villains. I thought it was a medical show. It has villains?

I don't know anything about them but I vaguely thought they were solid. Probably from all the pictures! Lol PR works on me! 

YES!!!!! The Resident has the best villains!!!! One I am 99% sure is pure evil. The rest are bad people and could be called villains but sometimes they do have a point. 

One of the villains is also extremely entertaining so even though I hate him and think he's a very bad person, I really enjoy watching him.

I really like the good guys in the show too so it's not a situation where you're cheering for the villains but they are such good villains! 

And not a single MySon motivation so far!

2 hours ago, Trisha said:

Ouch. I may be too close to this because a few people I went to journalism school with became ent reporters but (though I don’t particularly love those three you mentioned), they can be great and they gift us with good scoops and interviews on the regular. All of those guys mentioned actually do interviews, instead of just reporting on other people’s like a ton of outlets. And on Mo Ryan’s podcast, she often talks about how she wishes other TV writers would take up the mantle of representation/harassment reporting (which wasn’t what she was hired for as a TV critic), but it’s what she’s become known for after her data stories and The 100 controversy. Their job isn’t to be flacks/PR — don’t get me started on this fandom’s PR conspiracy theories — nor are they supposed to be hard-hitting investigators. (Although some outlets suddenly want them to be, which is why EBR’s friend JW was let go from Buzzfeed. But I digress...)

In any case, as much as MM has gotten decent Arrow scoops in the past, an Olicity baby seems like something they’d want to keep under wraps. 

I've worked with and still work with entertainment journalists and entertainment writers and, at least in the newsrooms I've been in, there's a distinct difference (also different are the TV critics, although that line as you mention, has been blurring with the journalists). Mitovich, etc. definitely get scoops and the interviews but they never really dig or poke outside the box studios, networks, etc. put them in. Because their relationship with the source is different. 

I guess I'm a little touchy when it comes to who gets called journalists these days. 

(edited)
48 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Because their relationship with the source is different. 

also true for other areas

It's always been dicey in terms of credentials for entertainment writing (Hedda Hopper was an actress before she was offered the job of writing a gossip column), but I think it's especially murky now when anyone who wants can go from writing a blog or anther form of social media to being a "journalist" without any kind of training.

48 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Although some outlets suddenly want them to be, which is why EBR’s friend JW was let go from Buzzfeed.

I got the feeling from the Rob Ford stuff two years ago that Buzzfeed wants to join Politico and other sites as being into serious investigative reporting.

Edited by statsgirl
to remove something that may be considered political

oooh thank you guys for giving me info on Designated Survivor! 

It wasn't for me because I adore Madam Secretary which is VASTLY different to this show so my expectations did not align but Hubs LOVES it! He's totally addicted to it! 

(edited)

Another actor who keeps getting new TV shows for some inexplicable reason...

The CW Acquires Drama Series ‘Burden Of Truth’ Starring Kristin Kreuk For Summer
by Nellie Andreeva and Erik Pedersen   April 5, 2018 7:00am
http://deadline.com/2018/04/burden-of-truth-the-cw-kristin-kreuk-summer-peter-mooney-1202358772/

Beauty and the Beast and Smallville alumna Kristin Kreuk is returning to the CW in Burden of Truth, a Canadian legal drama the U.S. broadcast network has acquired from Entertainment One. The 10-episode first season, which premiered on Canada’s CBC in January, is set for a summer run on the CW.

Kreuk plays a big-city lawyer who returns to her hometown to take on what she thinks is a simple case, only to find herself in a fight for justice for a group of sick girls. (you can watch CBC’s trailer below)

Peter Mooney (Rookie Blue), Alex Carter (NCIS), Benjamin Ayres (Saving Hope), Nicola Correia-Damude (Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments), Meegwun Fairbrother (Hemlock Grove) and newcomer Star Slade also star in the series produced by ICF Films, eOne and Eagle Vision.

Burden of Truth was created by Brad Simpson (Rookie Blue) and is exec produced by Kristin Kreuk, Ilana Frank, Linda Pope and Jocelyn Hamilton.

“The CW is a great fit for our new series, which combines drama and social justice with a bit of charm, led by the talented Kristin Kreuk,” said Steve Bertram, eOne’s President, Film, Television and Digital. “We are incredibly excited for audiences to see her take on this dynamo character.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

If the CW is paying, that explains why the CBC made it.

I tried to watch it but it's horrible.  That shouldn't surprise me since it frm the people who made Saving Hope (with Erica Durrance) at the end of which I said "I wasted five  years watching this????"

The first episode, where there is a mysterious illness and two lawyers (!) are solving why, should have told me how bad it was going to be.

• Love 2

I was browsing this person's videos and stumbled on this which looks at what makes a strong female lead. I agree with the points and think it's a pretty good set of criteria that they've listed.

Wonder how many points Felicity would get! 

• Love 1

I'd give Felicity 9.5 our of 10.  I failed her a half point for #9 "Is her character consistent?"

As we were talking about strong women, I just found this article on Virginia Trimble, who I had never heard about before. She was a Caltech astrophysics undergrad when Richard Feynman was learning how to draw and asked her to model for him.  During their sessions, they would talk physics (I'm jealous but I could never have kept up).  The article has more about her scientific accomplishments and apparently 180 IQ but what struck me is a pictures of her, gorgeous even though she has to be well into her seventies now.  (That's what I am in my fantasies.)

• Love 3

Ugh we have bushfires right now. It's the middle of the night and I'm smelling smoke all over the air. There is some sort of windstorm outside. Windows cannot be opened because the air smells terrible.

Aussie weather can be so awful. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, bijoux said:

Do they ever spread near you? 

Nono I am fine as we don't live in a bushfire zone but the smoke covers a far far distance.

It's never been as bad as this though. And it's the second month of Autumn! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Nono I am fine as we don't live in a bushfire zone but the smoke covers a far far distance.

It's never been as bad as this though. And it's the second month of Autumn! 

I feel you.  It's like two weeks past spring and we just had white-out blizzard conditions.  And it's still snowing and they are saying 6-12 inches by Monday!  What the hell mother nature!

8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Ugh we have bushfires right now. It's the middle of the night and I'm smelling smoke all over the air. There is some sort of windstorm outside. Windows cannot be opened because the air smells terrible.

Aussie weather can be so awful. 

We had Inner city bushfire in the Adelaide Hills on Tuesday. I live about an hour and a half away by  the beach and could smell the smoke it was that heavy and windy. 

Bushfires still raging here! Got to walk to the station with the kid to meet Hubs for lunch and the air is putrid! The thought of all the poor wildlife and koalas are making me sad.

Question: What is the most valued ratings night on TV? Like I know Friday is not a good night and Aus usually doesn't air anything good on Friday so what is the most prime time night? Is it Sunday?

Reason I ask is because my trash cooking show is back and promises a BIG MELTDOWN FIGHT but they are airing it on a Wednesday (tonight!!!! I am soooo ready!!!!!!!). I thought Sunday was more valuable so I am curious as to why it's airing on Wed. This show is so trashy they normally manipulate the episodes so that all the scandals are aired on Sunday night.

14 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Bushfires still raging here! Got to walk to the station with the kid to meet Hubs for lunch and the air is putrid! The thought of all the poor wildlife and koalas are making me sad.

Question: What is the most valued ratings night on TV? Like I know Friday is not a good night and Aus usually doesn't air anything good on Friday so what is the most prime time night? Is it Sunday?

Reason I ask is because my trash cooking show is back and promises a BIG MELTDOWN FIGHT but they are airing it on a Wednesday (tonight!!!! I am soooo ready!!!!!!!). I thought Sunday was more valuable so I am curious as to why it's airing on Wed. This show is so trashy they normally manipulate the episodes so that all the scandals are aired on Sunday night.

Sunday is the biggest night,  usually.   But it's also sometimes considered to be the family night,  so things everyone can watch together.   I've noticed more often that Thursday seems to be where networks drop their favorite shows.   There is also random shit networks do,  for example fox is airing episodes of Brooklyn 99 on Sundays now which is strange.  If i had guess,  I'd say they choose Sundays and Thursdays because on Sunday people are in for the week while Thursday tends to be the night people rest up to party Friday and Saturday. 

• Love 1

Friday and Saturday are the death days and all the rest seem about even.  A network gets a hit, it's going to be a hit probably no matter what night it was placed on (apart from when no one is watching on Fri and Sat though even those used to get good programming if you go back enough years.)  

I think a case could be made for any of the remaining days having their pros and cons.  Thursday (Arrow night) has a lot of strong competition.  But Sunday through Wednesday all has it's stars as well.  I think the big ratings nights ebb and flow these days.   

For example, they brought back an old sitcom with the original cast, Roseanne and the network got  ridiculously high numbers on a Tuesday.  And there are two different singing competition shows running.  One doing Sun and Mon and the other Mon and Tues.  And Wednesday has a lot of comedies. About five years back some were really big hits. And I wouldn't rule anything out just because of what night it is on.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Interesting Blind Item in today's Ask Ausiello column:

BLIND ITEM: An hour-long drama series listed as a “safe bet” on our 2018 Renewal Scorecard is on the verge of getting downgraded to “could go either way” — and the potential status change is not the result of any kind of ratings downturn. Rather, it’s due to an increasingly untenable “personnel problem,” per a source. Turns out one of the series’ leads has become impossible to work with, and his massively disruptive behavioral issues are causing the network/studio to rethink bringing the series back.

I looked in the comments to see what was listed as “a safe bet” and was surprised to see Lethal Weapon included. Hasn’t it been doing well enough to lock in a renewal? It’s not like Fox has that much going for it.

Just now, lemotomato said:

I looked in the comments to see what was listed as “a safe bet” and was surprised to see Lethal Weapon included. Hasn’t it been doing well enough to lock in a renewal? It’s not like Fox has that much going for it.

This is Fox though. 

This Allison Mack stuff is so surreal for me. Two night ago I randomly found a pic I had taken with her at a con. A con I specifically volunteered at in the hopes of meeting her, and I ended up getting to work her autograph line. I loved Chloe so much. Bizarre. 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Don't read the comments. Holy crap, people turned that on Wayans.

Why? The only issue I could see is him supposedly being opposed to table reads which can make shooting more stressful. What other ammunition is there against him? I really doubt there'd be talks about recasting one of the male leads on a hit show after only two incidents over the course of two years. Or if it really is only these two, I expect they are way worse than Crawford describes. 

6 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Why? The only issue I could see is him supposedly being opposed to table reads which can make shooting more stressful. What other ammunition is there against him? I really doubt there'd be talks about recasting one of the male leads on a hit show after only two incidents over the course of two years. Or if it really is only these two, I expect they are way worse than Crawford describes. 

A few conspiracy theories about how Wayans people "leaked" this stuff to smear Crawford. They also turned the the whole Wayans refused to shoot actions scenes in an episode after getting hurt on set as Wayans refusing to shoot ALL action scenes in ALL episodes because he's a Diva.

Stans will Stan

2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I guess all this dirty laundry getting aired in public means the show is more likely to get cancelled instead of recasting and continuing. It sounds like Crawford isn’t leaving without a fight.

I honestly don't think they could recast the way they were talking about it and have the show go on.  I'd be more open to flat out pulling a soap opera stunt and swapping in a new actor than bringing in a new character like they were talking.  But even then, CC is very well cast for his part.  I guess if it's such a mess, just cancel the whole thing.  

2 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Uhm, @Mellowyellow ...

Just a normal day, surrounded by everything that wants to try to kill you.  Lol.  

• Love 2