Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

The cast is very British. Lol

Kiernan Shipka played Sally Draper on Mad Men and dealt with some adult storylines as a child actor so I'm looking forward to her as Sabrina. She's also 18 so an actual teenager playing a teenager. 

And she also played Cathy Dollaganger in Lifetime's Flowers in the Attic Remake

5 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

What are you paying for avocados now?

A few weeks ago there were no ?s at the shops!

Then it was $5 for one that may or may not be rotten inside. 

The shepherd ?s just hit the stores this week for $3 each (they are small!!!!!) but I'd still eat a proposal one after the prices I've been paying!

We have a running joke in Australia about millennials and their love of smashed ? on toast (old dude wrote an article hinting that millennials were priced out of the housing market because they wasted their money eating smashed ?on toast at hipster cafes, there was an uproar) so the media has even reported on the ? shortage.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

(old dude wrote an article hinting that millennials were priced out of the housing market because they wasted their money eating smashed ?on toast at hipster cafes, there was an uproar) so the media has even reported on the ? shortage.

We also can't afford houses because we constantly eat out,  while simultaneously ruining restaurant chains by being frugal and not eating out more often.   We're really good at fucking shit up apparently. 

• Love 2

I have to bitch about insane school officials. One of the schools I work in is 50 plus km (some 35 miles) away. It takes me up to an hour to get there when the road and whether conditions are at least tolerable. Since yesterday there has been over 80 cm of snow (30 plus inches), among the highest snowfall in the country. Other places with much less snow are cancelling classes. The local primary school on the same street has cancelled classes. But no, for some batshit insane reason, high school hasn't. Insert mind blown gif.

• Love 3

Honestly, I gave up and called to tell my car wouldn't start. I have already held extra lessons when my colleagues didn't show up to work for whatever reason, so I'm ahead of the game there. But the decision to keep the school open when the one literally next door is closed due to weather conditions is mind boggling.

Good for you! I would have kept my kid at home (even if he was in HS) in weather that you're describing.

When you get weather like this does it last for a few days or could tomorrow be perfectly decent weather again? We don't get snow so I have no idea how snow works! 

It should keep through the weekend, which wouldn't be too bad if it was the ned of December and nor February. Then, at the start of next week the temperatures are expected to drop to somewhere between -20C and -15C (-5F and 5F). Which I can deal with when I can walk to where I need to get, but the commute is not fun. And after that, there's supposed to be a warm front. Meaning floods. I truly hope at least one of those forecasts is wrong.

Some winters, not all. Last year's was pretty mild. I can't even remember if there was snowfall, but it certainly wasn't anything to write home about. The shops are all fine, there has never been any trouble with that to my recollection. It's just that this is the first winter when I'm working farther away from home so I'm more affected personally. The worst thing is that people get a little crazy and stupid. The first snow fell exactly four weeks ago and wasn't bad at all when I started off for home. Except that it took me two and a half hours to get back because trucks just kept stopping on the road, and the drivers would be having snowball fights and taking photos of each other! Which was extra bad since there are a lot of bends in these roads and you can't really see whether there is an oncoming car so you can't actually pass them. Of course, as this went on the conditions got worse and the drivers seemingly stupider. 

That's what happened to us last week we got dumped with over a foot of snow over 3 days and now it's raining causing floods all over the place. 

When it snows usually only the schools close everything else is open. The only time a place I worked at closed for the day was when we were hit with a blizzard so bad that no one could get out of their houses or garages. We would open our doors to a 4 to 5ft wall of snow. We had to climb on top of the snow and shovel down to clear it out. 

We have snow plows out all day pushing the snow to the side and salting the roads. The roads are usually still bad and treacherous to drive in.  You have to drive slow and hope everyone else does that too and even then someone can hit a patch of ice and spin out into everyone else or into a snow bank. It's always stressful to drive when the snow is really bad. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

We have snow plows out all day pushing the snow to the side and salting the roads. The roads are usually still bad and treacherous to drive in.  You have to drive slow and hope everyone else does that too and even then someone can hit a patch of ice and spin out into everyone else or into a snow bank. It's always stressful to drive when the snow is really bad. 

The stress is what gets to me most. On the few days it was really bad this year I got to work dead on my feet. I hope the situation stabilizes in your neck of the wood soon.

ETA: This is what the road looked like today. You can't even really see it under the snow.

28056190_1634345989976327_47600907802222

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 4

School kids live for snow days.

When the snow is bad here,  officials tell people to keep their cars off the road for safety and use public transit. Of course you can't do that when you're going 35 miles away.

Last year I was working and they were predicting a snow storm coming in. I was hoping that my supervisor would end things early but he kept barreling along. The storm hit and my  one hour commute turned into 3 3/4 hours, white knuckling all the way. I have not forgiven him.

• Love 2

The Ichabod Crane School District, which is close to where I grew up, shuts down if even one farmer sees a snowflake.  Once, back in the 70s, they didn't shut down and got hit with so much snow that kids were trapped in the school for three days. Even 50 years later they want to make sure that never happens again.

While there are historical ties to the Washington Irving story in the area, there is the larger questions as to who thought "Ichabod Crane" was a good name for a school district and all the schools in it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Last year I was working and they were predicting a snow storm coming in. I was hoping that my supervisor would end things early but he kept barreling along. The storm hit and my  one hour commute turned into 3 3/4 hours, white knuckling all the way. I have not forgiven him.

I wouldn't have either if I were you.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, bijoux said:

The stress is what gets to me most. On the few days it was really bad this year I got to work dead on my feet. I hope the situation stabilizes in your neck of the wood soon.

ETA: This is what the road looked like today. You can't even really see it under the snow.

28056190_1634345989976327_47600907802222

What part of the world are you in?  

I was spoiled for the past two winters we had a mild one with barely any snow, this year we got hit with a bunch of snow that liked to come over a few days. The only good thing was snow prevents any below freezing days.

All the rain we've been having got rid of all the snow, it's supposed to be dryish and warm this weekend 

• Love 1

All the chit chat about clothing in the comics thread made me think of clothing quirks.

What are your clothing quirks?

Me - Plastic shoes in the rain instead of gumboots. Every time I wear boots in the rain something inevitably drips inside and I end up with wet or damp feet. So in rainy weather I will wear a dress with plastic shoes! Sounds silly but if I get splashed or get wet I dry up super quickly and no wet damp feet to plague me.

• Love 1

‘Charmed’: Sarah Jeffery Cast As A Lead In The CW Reboot Pilot
by Nellie Andreeva •  February 23, 2018 5:03pm
http://deadline.com/2018/02/charmed-sarah-jeffery-cast-lead-sister-the-cw-reboot-pilot-1202301665/

EXCLUSIVE: Sarah Jeffery (NBC’s Shades of Blue) has been cast as one of three sisters at the center of the CW’s dramedy pilot Charmed, from Jane the Virgin creator-showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman and CBS TV Studios. She joins Melonie Diaz, who recently was cast as another sister.

Penned by Jessica O’Toole and Amy Rardin and created with Urman, the Charmed reboot centers on three sisters in a college town who discover they are witches. Between vanquishing supernatural demons, tearing down the patriarchy and maintaining familial bonds, a witch’s work is never done.

Jeffery will play the youngest sister, Madison, a bubbly college freshman who finds witchcraft at odds with her goal of getting into a super-fun sorority. In addition to Diaz, who plays Madison’s sister Mel, Jeffery joins Ser’Darius Blain, who had been cast as the boyfriend of the third sister, Macy.

So here are 2 of the 3 sisters cast so far:
photo-credit-jenna-berman.jpg?crop=0px,3  meloniediaz_hs.jpg?crop=0px,0px,810px,54

Edited by tv echo

Weather update, we’re at -10C today, but it’s still snowing, which I wasn’t expecting. It’s not good, there’s a windchill and there’s at least 5 cm of snow on all roads. And ice is starting to form or has formed underneath. Wonder of wonders, the out of town school I meantioned actually cancelled classes for tomorrow. I just hope it sticks until Wednesday when I teach there.

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 1

Same here.  When I saw them, I thought they looked like dolls.

21 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Wonder of wonders, the out of town school I meantioned actually cancelled classes for tomorrow. I just hope it sticks until Wednesday when I teach there.

Snow day!  The joy of every child here.

I have something I could use everyone's help with.  College is incredibly stressful, even more so now than before.  A quarter of college students have anxiety disorders. My undergraduate college has come up with a postcard project called Words of Encouragement and reached out to alumni. Here's what they're asking:

We would love it if you would provide words of encouragement, advice, wisdom, perseverence, etc. that would then be added to the postcards that students have filled out with their addresses. We would add your name, and your title, so that the students know where these words are coming from. Then, in mid/late March, the postcards will be sent to the participating students. 
The end of the Winter semester can be tough, with students applying for summer jobs, waiting to hear about grad school applications, gearing up for final exams, solidifying housing for summer or the following year, and so many other things on their to do lists. We think that hearing from people like you and making connections within the community can help see them through this busy time!
1. Give some thought to things that students might be working on around this time of year: studying for exams, securing housing for summer/fall, career building, competitive nature of academics, etc. 
2. Come up with a 1-3 sentence message to pass on to a student. We're hoping for positive, encouraging, hopeful, supportive messages. We're looking for any number of messages from those participating, so if you have lots of ideas, we'd love to have them all!

I'm kind of stuck what to say.  Anyone have any suggestions?

51 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I have something I could use everyone's help with.  College is incredibly stressful, even more so now than before.  A quarter of college students have anxiety disorders. My undergraduate college has come up with a postcard project called Words of Encouragement and reached out to alumni. Here's what they're asking:

People often say just give it your best.  They are not wrong but the key is to keep going and keep trying even after the days your best wasn't as much as you wanted it to be.  The only real failure is when you stop trying.  

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

When I was gearing up for my final high school exams (they are the BIG exams here, ticket to the rest of your life and such) one of my high school teachers said something along the lines of: This is an important event but there is an entire lifetime to be lived where a lot of things will happen and although it feels like this is the be all and end all right now, one day we will look back and realise this was just one stage in life.

I've thought of her comment many times during the various stages in my adult life (especially during baby rearing because omg babies are the worse!) and realise how true it was. 

My son's karate coach also has a fabulous quote! I'll get hubby to dig it up for me later! 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I'm wondering whether I'm getting old, or whether shows are increasingly casting younger and younger.  Lol. :)

Melonie Diaz is actually 33 years old and 5'2", while Sarah Jeffery is 21 years old and 5'3" (according to Google).

So it looks like they're casting smaller women, like the original Charmed cast (who were all either 5'2" or 5'3" in height).

Deadline must've used an older pic for Melonie Diaz. Here are the current IMDb pic:s for both actresses
MV5BMTYyODY2Njg5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzMz   MV5BM2I1ZmNiMGYtYWM0OS00MmRlLWJjM2QtNTM4

Edited by tv echo

I remember someone saying here they were in the figure skating fandom and the Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir duo (was it @KenyaJ ?) 

Well for those interested, I just discovered they made a reality show a few years back:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.bustle.com/p/tessa-virtue-scott-moirs-reality-show-is-still-streaming-shippers-wont-want-to-miss-it-8304600/amp

Which goes into the work behind the scenes of their routines and their relationship.  I don't know if it's because I'm into and curious about all the bts mechanics of things, but I found it quite interesting, and given it's only 7 episodes, easy to watch.  

I know parts of the internet want them to be a couple m, and I was sort on the fence that, given 20 years as dance partners, if something was going to happen it would happen by now, but I have to admit watching the reality show they are very, very cute together in an adorable puppies type way. 

Peeeps!!!!! I am so excited!!!!!

I have booked my first overseas trip since we had the kid! Its been 5 years!!!!!! AND WE FOUND A TWO BEDROOM APARTMENT!!!!!! 

All the hotels expect you to share a room! My kid goes to bed at 7.30pm I don't want to share a room with him! No one besides hubby is sympathetic to my plight and think it's bizarre that we need 2 bedrooms! 

We can have dessert, drinks lots of tea and watch TV while he sleeps away! Wooooot! 

On another note I miss the days of club lounges and cocktails in the afternoon (they ban children from club lounges until they are 12). I don't think I realised how good we had it until we had to tow a child along on a plane and everywhere else! On the bright side at least he's sane at this age! 

ETA: Enjoy your youth and child free freedom if you are not yet shackled down with a kid!!!!! Hehe I know I sound like a terrible mother but there is something to be said about flying around whenever and where ever you liked without worrying about entertaining another human. And you could take cheap flights at weird times! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

I remember someone saying here they were in the figure skating fandom and the Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir duo (was it @KenyaJ ?)

Hee! I was in the figure skating forum, but you're probably thinking of someone else. I recognize their skating greatness, but I am deeply ambivalent about them personally.

• Love 1

The internet stuff is amusing.  Apparently there is also fanfiction for them.  I like Tessa's sense of humour

10 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

ETA: Enjoy your youth and child free freedom if you are not yet shackled down with a kid!!!!! Hehe I know I sound like a terrible mother but there is something to be said about flying around whenever and where ever you liked without worrying about entertaining another human. And you could take cheap flights at weird times! 

As someone whose child is older, enjoy the childhood of your child, and all the things you do with him now. Too soon they are older and independent, and then they marry someone and suddenly their values are completely different and they're on the opposite side of the political spectrum and your ideas are dinosaur.

• Love 2
(edited)

FYI... 

TV PILOTS: CHARMED Reboot, A MILLION LITTLE THINGS Among 6 Network Pilots Filming in Vancouver This March
By Susan Gittins February 28, 2018
http://hollywoodnorth.buzz/2018/02/tv-pilots-charmed-reboot-a-million-little-things-among-6-network-pilots-filming-in-vancouver-this-march.html

ABC
A Millon Little Things

Writer/Producer: DJ Nash.
Director: James Griffith.
Did you ever see The Big Chill? ABC pilot A Million Little Things is about eight friends — four men and four women — who are shocked when the one friend whose life seemed most together commits suicide. That’s a wake up call to the others to start living their lives.
Cast: David Giuntoli (Grimm). James Roday (Psych). Christina Ochoa (Valor). Romany Malco (Weeds). Anne Son. Christina Moses (The Originals).
Films: March 12th to March 29th.
The CW

Charmed
Writer/Producer: Jessica O’Toole-Amy Rardin.
Director: Brad Silberling.
A Charmed reboot with an LGBT twist. This time one of the three sisters who discover they are witches will be lesbian.
Cast: Sarah Jeffery (Shades of Blue). Melonie Diaz. Rupert Evans. Ser’Darius Blain.
Starts: March 19th to April 4th.

Charmed Reboot: Rupert Evans Joins CW Pilot as the New ______
By Michael Ausiello / February 28 2018, 2:27 PM PST
http://tvline.com/2018/02/28/charmed-reboot-rupert-evans-cast-harry-professor-the-cw/

Charmed 2.0 has found its new Leo!

Man in the High Castle star Rupert Evans has joined the CW’s reboot pilot in the series-regular role of Harry, a professor, handsome, grandiose, a raconteur with an infuriating charm and a mysterious interest in the three sisters. Translation: He’s their Whitelighter.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Another CW drama pilot...

‘Dead Inside’: Joey King & Freddie Stroma To Topline the CW Drama Pilot
by Nellie Andreeva •  February 28, 2018 
http://deadline.com/2018/02/dead-inside-joey-king-freddie-stroma-star-the-cw-drama-pilot-hayley-marie-norman-cast-1202306282/

EXCLUSIVE Joey King (Fargo) and Freddie Stroma (UnReal) and  have been tapped as the leads in the CW supernatural cop drama pilot Dead Inside. Also cast in the project, from writer Katie Lovejoy and producer Bill Lawrence, is Hayley Marie Norman (Adam Ruins Everything).

In Dead Inside, penned by Lovejoy and directed by Michael Patrick Jann, after surviving an explosion that killed her hotshot detective big brother, Zach Gates (Stroma), Emmy Gates (King), an underachieving beat cop, starts seeing his ghost, flipping their sibling dynamic on its head and allowing her to truly live her life for the first time, as they work together to help crime victims both living and dead, and figure out the unfinished business keeping his spirit on Earth.

Stroma’s Zach Gates is annoyingly perfect, roguishly over-confident with a rock-star charm. When he returns as a ghost, he learns a few surprising things about the people closest to him.

King’s Emmy Gates is tougher and stronger than she thinks she is, and what she lacks in confidence, she makes up for with determination, humor and snark. Emmy’s life is turned upside down when her brother dies and returns to her as a ghost, forcing her to team up with him to solve a murder and resolve his unfinished business.

Norman will play Jayla Harris, the unfiltered motormouth receptionist at the Portland police station. Jayla’s one of the few true supporters of Emmy’s law enforcement aspirations. As for her own aspirations, it’s to be insta-famous.

Edited by tv echo
On 3/1/2018 at 3:57 AM, statsgirl said:

As someone whose child is older, enjoy the childhood of your child, and all the things you do with him now. Too soon they are older and independent, and then they marry someone and suddenly their values are completely different and they're on the opposite side of the political spectrum and your ideas are dinosaur.

Ha Hubby was wailing about this the other day. He was like "One day I'm not going to be the love of his life and I'm used to being the love of his life."

Do you think by the time they hit their 30s we get a bit crazy as well? My friends have the strangest dramas with their parents and it's happening in recent years. The teens years were ok but a lot of the parents have gotten super wacky these past few years.

One friend's father puts all their phones in the microwave at night and then whispers to them about all these conspiracy theories. She puts up with it because she needs the childcare help but the stories she tells about the stuff he gets up to is just nuts.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

One friend's father puts all their phones in the microwave at night and then whispers to them about all these conspiracy theories. She puts up with it because she needs the childcare help but the stories she tells about the stuff he gets up to is just nuts.

Hee!  

I wonder if it's a product of the internet and some older adults not being great at figuring out what is real and what is just the absurd and crazy stuff the rest of us know to ignore.  

5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Hee!  

I wonder if it's a product of the internet and some older adults not being great at figuring out what is real and what is just the absurd and crazy stuff the rest of us know to ignore.  

Omg definitely the internet!!!

They know enough to read it and pass on crazy stories via messaging and Facebook but not enough to ignore the crazy like we do. 

My mum takes articles on Facebook as gospel. If it's shared on a wall on Facebook it must be true!

Another crazy story: With facebook mum can message her relos all day. Well a bunch of them convinced her I've had a nose job (a very good one apparently) cuz my baby pics don't look like me now and my nose isn't flat anymore. So my mum has been badgering me for the name of my surgeon so she can get a nose job too. Cannot convince her otherwise. 

One day I might be like this!!!! It scares me! ?

• Love 1

I think the internet breeds and fosters conspiracy theories.  It's too easy to get caught in your own loop of crazy.

But knowing nothing about your friend or her father, if he genuinely believes that he has to put the cell phone in the microwave to protect his family from them, maybe she should be looking around for other childcare.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I think the internet breeds and fosters conspiracy theories.  It's too easy to get caught in your own loop of crazy.

There have been a lot of studies about this recently that the internet and social media allows people to create feedback loops that enforce whatever idea people glom onto. 

(edited)

My parents have both become crazy conspiracy theorists that the internet feeds into as they get older. It's frustrating and sad to watch. Whenever we disagree ideologically (which is almost all the time now) I just respond that I'm the way I am because of how they raised me which was to be compassionate and inquisitive and always find support for my arguments. I hope I can guard against the crazy. :/

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

There have been a lot of studies about this recently that the internet and social media allows people to create feedback loops that enforce whatever idea people glom onto. 

haha this is soooo true and if I am to be honest it happens to me as well!

Being an advocate of sleep training I have countless pro sleep training books, articles etc. The anti sleep training stuff I just ignore. 

I think the anti sleep training people are pretty much the same.

You won't like me then. I tried the Ferber method and ended up with a hysterical sobbing child that couldn't go to sleep.  The day I got my first job as a family therapist, I saw someone in the library taking out that book and I leaned over and said quietly "If it doesn't work for your child, don't worry about forcing it."

One of the mothers in my post-natal class misread the book and thought her child should be sleeping through the night at two weeks, not two months as it really said.  She left her child at 8 pm and went back at 8 am and the kid slept.  She also let the kid eat Cheerios from the floor beside her dog and the kid turned out find.

1 hour ago, calliope1975 said:

My parents have both become crazy conspiracy theorists that the internet feeds into as they get older. It's frustrating and sad to watch. Whenever we agree ideologically (which is almost all the time now) I just respond that I'm the way I am because of how they raised me which was to be compassionate and inquisitive and always find support for my arguments. I hope I can guard against the crazy. :/

Even before the internet, as my parents got older, they became more and more right wing and couldn't understand how both their children became left wing loonies (I think of myself as centrist).  I tried to explain that I just took on their values but I could never convince them of it.  They blamed my husband for corrupting me.

• Love 2

I steal used plastic shopping bags from my parents house. I cannot convince them to abandon the terrifying amount of plastic that they collect from the shops so I have cut most bags from my life and when I need a bag to pick up dog poop or to do something that requires a bag I just steal it from their house. I also steal plastic bags from them for my friends.

@statsgirl I believe it works with some kids but not all. I do think there are some kids that cannot be trained using that method. But I do go around encouraging everyone to give it a good go to see if it'll work on their kid because it's fabulous when it does work!

hehe I am the mother with the baby covered in dog fur! Just cannot be helped in our house! My dad was convinced my son was going to die from the dog fur. He was also convinced that the sandpit I built was going to kill my son because a Vietnamese Facebook article posted a story about a kid who played in dirt, contracted a rare disease and died! For the first 3 years I reckon my dad lived with a gun to his head, fearing his grandson's imminent death because of that deadly sandpit. 

Are we all going to be like this one day??????? 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Are we all going to be like this one day??????? 

Probably yes. Sadly.

You have to pay for plastic bags here, five cents a bag, so I use cloth ones for shopping.  Then you have to buy a roll of them separately for the dog poop.