Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Delphi said:

I thought they were too,  they are in America.   I dunno,  this is why I shouldn't trust anyone on my Facebook feed this early in the morning. 

Oh, okay,then maybe the promo was for the release in other countries.

Now that I'm here, I'd like to ask you guys something. For those who have watched GoT's finale, what did you think of 

Spoiler

Tommen's suicide?

I mean, what was your reaction, were you glad, were you sad? 

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

I was a little sad

Spoiler

just because he was a gentle figure in a show with few of those, but not because I was actually attached to him as a character. And tbh, even though Cersei is horrible, etc., I have always had sympathy for her and her love for her children. So while I knew it would happen someday, and she of course brought it on herself as she does almost everything bad that happens to her, I was still sad on her account. I also was not fully convinced Tommen would do something like that, especially over Margaery who always seemed like more of an infatuation for him. But, he was young and very overwhelmed by pressure and emotion, so I can buy it, I suppose.

In general, I enjoyed this season about about a hundred times more than last. I will still never trust the EPs of the show again, but at least they made it enjoyable this season and they finally gave some payoff to things they'd screwed up or dragged their feet on for several seasons.

Edited by Carrie Ann
Ack, spoiler not quote!

It was the only moment that didn't quite work for me, I don't think the character's decision was explain well enough. When I have to thoroughly headcanon something for it to make sense, the writers didn't do their job right.

36 minutes ago, Delphi said:

I thought they were too,  they are in America.   I dunno,  this is why I shouldn't trust anyone on my Facebook feed this early in the morning. 

They are already available in the U.S.  The announcement was about them being made available worldwide.  

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

I was a little sad

Hide contents

just because he was a gentle figure in a show with few of those, but not because I was actually attached to him as a character. And tbh, even though Cersei is horrible, etc., I have always had sympathy for her and her love for her children. So while I knew it would happen someday, and she of course brought it on herself as she does almost everything bad that happens to her, I was still sad on her account. I also was not fully convinced Tommen would do something like that, especially over Margaery who always seemed like more of an infatuation for him. But, he was young and very overwhelmed by pressure and emotion, so I can buy it, I suppose.

In general, I enjoyed this season about about a hundred times more than last. I will still never trust the EPs of the show again, but at least they made it enjoyable this season and they finally gave some payoff to things they'd screwed up or dragged their feet on for several seasons.

I was shocked and sad.

Spoiler

But I guess more for the gesture itself,  and his desperation. As you said, he was a gentle soul, and just a kid.  I wasn't particularly attached to him, nor do I feel sorry for Cersei. We were discussing it with a friend, and she said, 'well, at least he finally took a stance somehow' - which seemed awfully detached to me*, even for a show that asks for detachment and wrt a character that was never quite prominent.

That was maybe the moment I found most disturbing in the whole series. 

*It made me ask myself if I might have reacted that way for some other fictional character, I mean, I was  glad that Laurel died. Now I feel like I'm an awful person.

What are the things they had screwed up? 

RE GoT and that moment.  I was shocked and sad.

Spoiler

nd thought it was somewhat out of left field. I did think the actor portrayed a moment after he saw the city blow up that he looked ...defeated and horrified and possibly thinking his actions led to that outcome. OR He was a lovesick teenager who just saw his wife killed by his mother and that meant it was the end for him in the long run. And he just decided...I'm gonna go out on my terms and not wait to be dethroned. That's just my headcanon.  I couldn't help but wonder if Cersei somehow encouraged him to off himself somewhere off screen.

• Love 1

I feel like the media has been really good with the GoT finale & spoilers this season, so the ending must be really sad & shocking. I watch when the DVDs come out - but I remember hearing about the Red Wedding almost instantaneously the shock & OMG was just too much. So far the media has been pretty hush on what happened, which means they must still be stunned &/or grieving whatever happened, which only means nothing good most likely for the characters that I love on the show.

Also thanks to the people here for using the spoiler tags :)

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, looptab said:

What are the things they had screwed up? 

I was specifically thinking of Sansa's storyline last season, which killed my faith in the show for good. But there was also Dorne, which was just a complete failure, and this season they spent two total scenes there. There was the Shireen thing,

Spoiler

which they ignored until this last episode when they at least let someone react to it and maybe made the perpetrator pay for it.

There was the endless Meereen story which no one GAF about,

Spoiler

and they finally let Dany leave and the dragons come to their full power.

Last season, there were two major problems for me. One, there were very few "wins" for the "good guys." The bad guys--Roose and Ramsey, the Faith Militant, Melisandre, the White Walkers, the nobility in Meereen--basically came out on top in almost every major and minor conflict. It's exhausting to watch ten episodes of that. Two, and more importantly for me, there was a lot of abuse--particularly non-book-canon abuse--piled on to women in particular. This season they seemed to spend a lot of time trying to make up for it by giving all the women opportunities to fight back against their abusers (Sansa, Cersei, Dany, Arya) and women just became more powerful and were given more interesting, less passive/victim-y storylines in general (all of the above plus Yara, Brienne, Lyanna Mormont the Queen of My Heart). I mean...I saw through that effort, but I don't care. I would still rather watch a season full of "oops, we fucked up, look at all this girl power!" than another season where everyone is victimized. That also helped to remedy their "good guys never win" problem, but they went further and let things happen that they'd been stalling on--

Spoiler

Starks reuniting, Dany and the dragons, Arya reclaiming her identity, Bran learning that R+L=J, etc.

There were little victories in every episode, in addition to larger ones along the way.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

I was specifically thinking of Sansa's storyline last season, which killed my faith in the show for good. But there was also Dorne, which was just a complete failure, and this season they spent two total scenes there. There was the Shireen thing, which they ignored until this last episode when they at least let someone react to it and maybe made the perpetrator pay for it. There was the endless Meereen story which no one GAF about, and they finally let Dany leave and the dragons come to their full power.

Last season, there were two major problems for me. One, there were very few "wins" for the "good guys." The bad guys--Roose and Ramsey, the Faith Militant, Melisandre, the White Walkers, the nobility in Meereen--basically came out on top in almost every major and minor conflict. It's exhausting to watch ten episodes of that. Two, and more importantly for me, there was a lot of abuse--particularly non-book-canon abuse--piled on to women in particular. This season they seemed to spend a lot of time trying to make up for it by giving all the women opportunities to fight back against their abusers (Sansa, Cersei, Dany, Arya) and women just became more powerful and were given more interesting, less passive/victim-y storylines in general (all of the above plus Yara, Brienne, Lyanna Mormont the Queen of My Heart). I mean...I saw through that effort, but I don't care. I would still rather watch a season full of "oops, we fucked up, look at all this girl power!" than another season where everyone is victimized. That also helped to remedy their "good guys never win" problem, but they went further and let things happen that they'd been stalling on--Starks reuniting, Dany and the dragons, Arya reclaiming her identity, Bran learning that R+L=J, etc. There were little victories in every episode, in addition to larger ones along the way.

Right, you mentioned the Sansa thing a couple weeks ago. It has truly been a good season for the women. And Lyanna Mormont is the HBIC. :) 

Is Dorne more prominent in the books?

Dorne is completely different. Like, there's basically nothing on the show resembling GRRM's Dorne. And yes, I liked the books version. Arienne (a POV, daughter of Doran Martell) isn't very well liked, but I think she's an OK character, personally, and she's poised to play a bigger role in the future books (although I'm not very excited because it will deal with Fake Aegon...). Book Doran is much smarter. Myrcella doesn't die (she's disfigured though), and actually not that many people die except for the guy who was sent there from King's Landing (on the show they sent Jaime instead). There are 6 Sand Snakes instead of 3 but they're background and not annoying. The whole idea of planning to ally with Targaryens still exists (Doran's son Quentyn was sent to woo Dany but he was fried by a dragon (that was a pretty stupid storyline TBH), and Arienne was supposed to marry Viserys and now I guess Faegon instead).

• Love 1
1 minute ago, looptab said:

Is Dorne more prominent in the books?

Yes, and it's not good there either, but the Sand Snakes are at least a little more fleshed out and 3-dimensional. I wouldn't have been sad if they'd just cut Dorne altogether once Oberyn was out of the picture. Some of the problems with the show for the last few seasons are actually just a result of how much wheel-spinning and stalling happens in the last two books, so I don't blame all of those things on D&D. But they were already making pretty large changes by last season, so they could have made some choices then that would have made things better, but instead most of their changes just made things worse. I'm at least glad that they seem to have taken some of the criticism seriously and made adjustments.

• Love 2

Cool. I like learning about all this stuff in the books. I actually bought them once I got into the series, but then I learnt that GRRM was typing a word a day so I postponed reading them until they are all out. One other development I was glad about, 

Spoiler

it seems they might be going towards Jaime distancing himself from Cersei? He didn't seem very happy when he saw her.

• Love 1
(edited)
47 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

RE GoT and that moment.  I was shocked and sad.

Hide contents

nd thought it was somewhat out of left field. I did think the actor portrayed a moment after he saw the city blow up that he looked ...defeated and horrified and possibly thinking his actions led to that outcome. OR He was a lovesick teenager who just saw his wife killed by his mother and that meant it was the end for him in the long run. And he just decided...I'm gonna go out on my terms and not wait to be dethroned. That's just my headcanon.  I couldn't help but wonder if Cersei somehow encouraged him to off himself somewhere off screen.

I saw it 

Spoiler

as him being defeated, horrified, and desperate. His mother killed his wife. I don't know that he made a pondered decision of "going out on his terms" rather than just being driven by true and utter desperation. God. I didn't even care for Tommen. Had he blown up with the others I wouldn't have even blinked. :/

- Sorry I thought the posts would be incorporated.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1

I loved all of the Dorne stuff in the books, but I think the worst transition from book to show was the Dorne stuff, which on the show was just...not good.  I think part of why I liked season six more than season five was that it spent less time in Dorne. 

Regarding the plot point discussed above, my main emotional reaction was "Ok, and that also happened." I was more emotionally invested in other parts of the episode.

3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Man, I'm so getting tired of this Isis bullshit. Another Airport attack, more dead innocents. 

My condolences to the people of Turkey/Istanbul.

it's gonna sound bad but, this kind of stuff don't really faze me anymore.. I grew up with it (suicide bombers) my entire life, i'm pretty much numb to it, it's another terrorist organization, in a decade or so it be a different one, the reason it will be a different one is because the west deals with them in the same way over and over again. first the US/UK and other western countries attack, they'll stick around for a bit and han pack up and leave leaving a torn country behind, that causes the radicals be super pissed and to rise up and become even more radical, which hurts the citizens of that country, some of which are becoming pissed at the west for constantly intervening for their own reasons (which is always oil), those citizens slowly grow to hate the west and back up the radicals which in turn will wanna hurt the west, which will cause the west to attack; and thus the cycle has been existing for the past 100 plus years all thanks to UK, France and US imperialism.

By the way, I don't hate western countries, I just have the benefit of inside knowledge about the region due to having grown up in it and in the midst of that mind set.

• Love 1

I'm getting ready to have the first of 3 more surgeries this year, and I started thinking about when Oliver, Diggle, Sara, and Felicity were talking about their scars. None of my other scars have bothered me too much because only the one across my throat from my cervical spine surgery is visible--all the rest are on my back or abdomen. However, by the end of the year, I'll have scars on each wrist and longer ones down both forearms, which will be much more visible than any current scars, plus another one near my clavicle/shoulder.

Guys, I think I might actually be turning into Oliver Queen, but without the awesome abs or mad archery skills!  And, I will have gotten my scars from a gazillion surgeries instead of at the hands of bad guys.  And, I'm still a girl and have never even been a billionaire.  I also don't have any tattoos or green leather.  But, I think anybody would reasonably mistake me for Oliver Queen because of all of these damn scars.

Anybody got advice for a pseudo-Oliver Queen who hasn't ever been particularly concerned with her appearance but is now freaking out a little about looking like the Bride of Frankenstein, but without that awesome hair?

• Love 1

I think you can wear those scars like a badge of honor.  I haven't had any personal experience with what you described, but a friend who did focused on what her body could do rather than what it looked like, from the big to the small.  She talked about how amazing it was to walk outside and pick up her mail or hold her coffee mug in her hands. She'll never run marathons, but she constantly marvels about what her body can do, like its an amazing machine.  

I think you would look fetching in green leather.  :-)  Good luck with the surgery!

• Love 6

I agree with @calliope1975. The scars mean you prevailed. Maybe they won't even bother you once you actually have them and these are pre-surgery nerves. Which no one could blame you for. If it turns out you really are bothered by them, is reconstructive surgery an option? Or to be less extreme, what about body make up? Set make up artists manage to cover up actors' big ass tattoos on the regular, so I imagine this should be doable. Good luck and speedy recovery.

• Love 5
(edited)

Thanks, @calliope1975!  That's a very positive way to think about the scars. I try not to get too discouraged, and I've always coped with humor, but I'm still learning to process all the changes my body is experiencing since the onset of this stupid disease.

Thanks also, @thegirlsleuth and @bijoux

a friend who did focused on what her body could do rather than what it looked like, from the big to the small.

That's a beautiful way to think about it!

these are pre-surgery nerves.

I'm sure they are. I'm dreading the length of time I'll be unable to chat about Arrow with all of you on here. I could invest in a good voice recognition software to dictate my responses, but I'm not sure. Ugh.  I always get pre-surgery jitters.

On a more positive note, I think I can buy the Bride of Frankenstein wig online!

image.jpeg

Edited by EmeraldArcher
More thanks to give.
  • Love 4

Finally got around to binging season 3 of The 100 in its entirety. 

And you know what? Still love the hell out of the show. Yeah, they screwed up with Bellamy's actions big time (it almost ruined the character for me), but there was enough great stuff to overlook that. Of course, binging helped a lot. I devoured the season in 3 days and couldn't stop watching until it was over. Fuck public opinion and fan whining, it's still great and better than 95% of stuff on TV.

• Love 2

Good luck with your surgeries, EmeraldArcher! 

In terms of scarring afterwards - I don't honestly have much personal experience with this, since my surgical scars are all tiny, but can I just say, I'm loving the idea of the green leather? 

• Love 2

I actually have a lot of scars.  Some from being a pretty stupid teenager and others from a pretty bad car accident a few years ago and honestly it used to be rough.   I'd have my facial hair grown out so people couldn't see the ones on my face,  long sleeves all the time,  or way too many bracelets. 

It wasn't until a few years ago when I finally noticed that my friends with scars were going to extreme lengths to hide theirs (one constantly wears tights and the other tattoos over every scar) that I decided that they didn't matter and I instead focused on how they didn't define me in any way other than the fact that I survived some really fucked up circumstances.   I got in shape,  look a million times better.   I still get occasional questions from people,  or odd glances (drunk guy at a bar insisted I looked like the Joker last week because our faces were both "cut up") but for the most part I don't notice them anymore and I realized that I was a lot more focused on them then anyone else. 

• Love 7

I've now seen 2 entertainment sites report on Ben Affleck & Jen Garner's current marital status. I was weak and clicked on the clickbait. I have to admit, I'm truly saddened by the entertainment media, that they feel the need to report that they are not divorced yet. Like how is that new or critical information to report on? They are vultures egging on the couple to get the paperwork filed just so they can have a story to write. It's just such a sad commentary of our times, that people & media are eagerly waiting the destruction of a family.

Say what you will, but there is a family of real people & children that don't need that type of negative attention. So it's been a year since they announced their split? I for one was heartbroken when I first heard about it. They just seemed real & normal, and to have them fail just felt very raw. Some celebrity couples don't surprise or sadden me when they split. Ben & Jen splitting felt like sucker punch to love on the whole.

Perhaps they are trying to work it out, perhaps not. Whatever their issues are, I don't think its a lack of love. From every interview I've ever seen both Ben & Jen seem to have a deep love for each other & their children. Sometimes love is just not enough, but I appreciate that they seem to be trying. I'd rather the media be hoping for them to work it out as opposed to criticizing them for taking their time before filing paperwork. If there is nothing to write about, then find some new material.

Sorry for the rant.

Does anyone else have a problem typing on their mobile phone in this forum?

When I'm  typing sometimes it will jump into the quote  box and  start editing. It also will at times jump to the top of the website where you type in the web address. And it will auto capitalize. And at times not let me delete. It will do it randomly. It also does not allow me to use the auto suggested words sometimes that  will  make the cursor jump to a totally  different  spot.

I've tried downloading a new keyboard and it still doesn't work. Its very frustrating.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've had some problems. I have an iPhone as well.  Sometimes when I'm replying to a quote, if I go back too far with the backspace, it jumps into the quote box and then I'm stuck.  I can't type anything below the quote, I can't delete the quote and start over, and if I get out and come back it's still there. Basically all I can do at that point is post the quote without any reply and then ask a mod to delete the post.  It's a little annoying. :(

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, kismet said:

Does anyone else have a problem typing on their mobile phone in this forum?

When I'm  typing sometimes it will jump into the quote  box and  start editing. It also will at times jump to the top of the website where you type in the web address. And it will auto capitalize. And at times not let me delete. It will do it randomly. It also does not allow me to use the auto suggested words sometimes that  will  make the cursor jump to a totally  different  spot.

I've tried downloading a new keyboard and it still doesn't work. Its very frustrating.

I have all the same problems. I use the Swift Key keyboard so I changed to the stock Google keyboard to no avail. It happens whether I use the stock browser, Chrome, Firefox or Pale Moon browsers. It's aggravating.

Maybe it's a Samsung Galaxy thing. I haven't even tried the multi quote.

Changing browsers doesn't help. 

The only thing that does help is highlighting and then using the cut feature when I can't get the backspace key to work.

Who can we get to help troubleshoot the problem?

3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It's not a Galaxy thing since i can do it on my GS7.

Stupid question but when you guys are trying the multi quote you're picking the +"?

Yes. :) 

I have a Moto X 1st gen with Android 5.1 and a Verizon Ellipsis (shut up it was "free" LOL) that is still running KitKat. But I don't think it's an Android thing since some have the problem on iPad too.

I can't even make the cut feature work.

Just tried from a Note 2, a Note 5 and my old Galaxy Tab 10.2, it works on all 3 devices. I'm on Wifi, using Chrome and default Samsung Keyboard. 

You can report the issue in the "Bug" or Q&A Forum.  It may or may not help.  I still can't use the new forum from my labtop  because of whatever Firewall the company has in place.  Not sure if your issue will get resolved.  This update seems to be a very mixed bag. ?

9 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

This set of writers truly really forever believe will they/won't they is the pillar of serialized romance. They take the Joss approach rather than the procedural cop staple of just delaying the getting together part for 5+ seasons, though. 

Brought this over from spoilers discussion.

OMG does this mean my Fitzsimmons is doomed? Hubby and I are on season 2 right now and we are looking forward to happy times because we read some spoilers saying they got together!!! Omg is it all going to go to sh$t??????

This is a good ship for us because we both have heals of fun shipping it and I don't want it ruined *wails*

Different Whedon, but probably, yes.

If it helps, you could join me and start shipping Jaime and Brienne over on Game of Thrones instead....

....never mind.

• Love 2