Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

(edited)

It's been terrible for a long time now tbh. Last time I went there was around 411 and it was bad. But what pushed it over the edge was when one of the writers got involved. The 'bozos' remark was probably just a spark on what was building up the last year...

Edited by wonderwall

The weird part is that they pretty much have the same complaints we have here, about the writing's decline. Yet it seems Felicity is the origin of evil. Perception is a strange thing.

• Love 8

The weird part is that they pretty much have the same complaints we have here, about the writing's decline. Yet it seems Felicity is the origin of evil. Perception is a strange thing.

This place is well moderated and rarely do our posts ever result in 'flame wars'. 

Reddit was just nasty and often the people who posted there attacked other people (whether it be MG, other actors, shippers, etc.). That never happens here. 

• Love 4

This place is well moderated and rarely do our posts ever result in 'flame wars'. 

Reddit was just nasty and often the people who posted there attacked other people (whether it be MG, other actors, shippers, etc.). That never happens here. 

I don't wander into reddit very often, but it looks like the r/dccomics subreddit is well moderated as well, which is nice to see. 

(edited)

What kind of attacks? Because we are pretty harsh towards Guggie, the writers and the actors as well.

As in calling shippers cultists, calling Guggenheim names that we can't here... But what makes it different over here is that people are like minded. Over there it often results in petty arguments that often lead to personal attacks etc. 

That's basically what I saw last time. 

ETA: And while I agree that at times we've been overly harsh on this site towards Guggenheim, the writers, actors... It's not something that happens every. single. day. 

Edited by wonderwall
(edited)

As in calling shippers cultists, calling Guggenheim names that we can't here... But what makes it different over here is that people are like minded. Over there it often results in petty arguments that often lead to personal attacks etc.

That's basically what I saw last time.

ETA: And while I agree that at times we've been overly harsh on this site towards Guggenheim, the writers, actors... It's not something that happens every. single. day.

That's true :) BTW, I think maybe you misunderstood my previous post about perception? I wasn't trying to defend reddit, just trying to understand what made it gain the reputation it has. The perception thing was about how they seem to identify the root of the show's problem pretty differently from us.

If you did not misunderstand me though, just ignore this post - I might still be half asleep and slow :)

Edited by looptab

That's true :) BTW, I think maybe you misunderstood my previous post about perception? I wasn't trying to defend reddit, just trying to understand what made it gain the reputation it has. The perception thing was about how they seem to identify the root of the show's problem pretty differently from us.

If you did not misunderstand me though, just ignore this post - I might still be half asleep and slow :)

I didn't think you were! :D 

The main difference between the two sites, honestly? Mods. The mods here care. The mods over there don't. 

• Love 2

The main difference between the two sites, honestly? Mods. The mods here care. The mods over there don't. 

Good;)

I'd say there's a difference in posters as well. Even when we veer off to the FORBIDDEN fans talk, most of us manage to do it without calling them names. 

• Love 1

Change of topic....so I'm just chatting with Courtney B Vance on twitter about OJ.  WTF? LOL

Are you watching the People v. OJ on FX? Because Courtney B. Vance is amazing on that show. So many of the actors are, but he is one of the best. I'm 2 episodes behind. I don't have FX, so I have to watch it in bouts of on-demand with friends. But it's so fascinating to watch... I remember living through the trial as a teenager but its completely different perspective so many years later. It's also bizarre because I have friends that are not that much younger than me, but they have no reference or concept of just how surreal the whole OJ murder trial was.

Congrats on chatting up the actor. It would be interesting to hear his perspective. Besides way too much emphasis on the Kardashians, I did read or hear somewhere that the show is trying to tell the story from various angles with minimal embellishment.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes I've been watching the series. This whole thing with Courtney Vance is weird because I just happened to make a general tweet about that I thought he was the standout of the series and lo and behold he favorited my tweet! Then he was asking questions about OJ today so I responded and he favorited that one! It's actually kind of surreal.

I was really thinking the series would be salacious schlock but it's been excellent. I'm also really enjoying Sterling K Brown aka Gordon on SPN as Christopher Darden.

Yeah the OJ trial has a surreal spot in my life because TMI TIME....I was in the process of ending a long term relationship that had become abusive (long story) and was packing to move out that weekend. I was watching the playoffs with the ex when they news broke about OJ on the lam and then the media started talking about how it's often when someone is actually moving out that the worst abuse happens and then the ex was like rooting for OJ to escape. People were going onto the freeway overpasses and cheering him on.  And I'm just sitting there thinking..shit what if the ex tries to kill me when I move out...and I ended up not moving for like another month. So seeing it now again...is so ....weird.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Actually, I would say that the difference is the userbase. Whilst the Mods here are great, we don't get the same level of vitriolic or just generally misogynistic talk as over on reddit. As a user of the site, there's a reason I don't frequent the popular subs and only post in 'woman friendly' and small subs... because every thread in every other sub will eventually devolve into racist/sexist/homophobic and just generally vile drama. In fact, the majority of the posts start off as a racist/sexist/homophobic way of attempting to prove the OP's point. 

• Love 9

Not to derail the conversation or impose a change of topic, but since there's been discussion about Trump upthread..I just read an article focused on the analogies between Trump and Silvio Berlusconi. I was already  aware of how problematic Trump is, but now this article has given me a whole new perspective on it. Now I am officially scared.

Not to derail the conversation or impose a change of topic, but since there's been discussion about Trump upthread..I just read an article focused on the analogies between Trump and Silvio Berlusconi. I was already  aware of how problematic Trump is, but now this article has given me a whole new perspective on it. Now I am officially scared.

I'm trying very hard to not be scared. I'm hoping that whoever is buying to his crap will realize he has no qualifications. I'm still waiting for him to admit he's being pulling a Jozquin phoenix performance art thing.

(edited)

Actually, I would say that the difference is the userbase. Whilst the Mods here are great, we don't get the same level of vitriolic or just generally misogynistic talk as over on reddit. As a user of the site, there's a reason I don't frequent the popular subs and only post in 'woman friendly' and small subs... because every thread in every other sub will eventually devolve into racist/sexist/homophobic and just generally vile drama. In fact, the majority of the posts start off as a racist/sexist/homophobic way of attempting to prove the OP's point.

I guess the question is, is the existence of strict mods something that staves off the particularly vile userbase? What would this place looks like without mods? Would that welcome more people like you described? These are all interesting questions.

I suppose there's a balance between posters and mods that's required to keep a healthy board. A generally level headed group of posters who try to make the mods lives easier and mods who try to keep things civil. And reddit didn't have either of those.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 6

I hope so, too. For US's sakes and us overseas as well. I'll link to the article if anyone's interested. It's a little old - September 2015 - but  I can confirm it's accurate. It's a comment we have made kinda jokingly - "Oh, look, he's USA's Berlusconi" but reading all the similarities they have, it's no joke at all. The opposition must be strong, otherwise consequences won't be pretty.

• Love 1

I guess the question is, is the existence of strict mods something that staves off the particularly vile userbase? What would this place looks like without mods? Would that welcome more people like you described? These are all interesting questions.

I suppose there's a balance between posters and mods that's required to keep a healthy board. A generally level headed group of posters who try to make the mods lives easier and mods who try to keep things civil.

Reddit is weird in that it's actually a forum for everything. Here, we talk about TV shows, and you can use your account to talk about different TV shows, but at the end of the day you only really talk about TV shows and everything else you talk about is in relation to TV shows. Over on reddit you can use your account to talk about everything, I use mine to talk about notebooks, and my phone and makeup and feminism. Some people use their accounts to talk about Arrow as well as how much they hate women. 

Basically what I'm saying is a) there's a lot of bleed through, people who talk about how they hate women separately are going to talk about how they hate women on Arrow, b) because there's really only one topic we talk about on here there's only so bad it can get and c) the vile userbase existed before the sub even existed (and therefore before the mods existed) so there's only so much the mods can do. 

Because of the way reddit works compared to the rest of the internet it's really hard to make comparisons, especially because of stuff like the size and the distinct (young white male) userbase, which isn't really seen on other social media platforms. 

• Love 3

The good news is that judging by that debate on Fox News, even they've realized they can't back Drumpf, and he must be stopped.  It's like common sense has broken through, and Fox has realized the complete disaster a Drumpf presidency would be.  His own party doesn't want him to win the nomination, much less be the President.  That dark cloud that is a possible Drumpf presidency is uniting both parties to make sure it doesn't happen.

Come November, if it's Hilary vs Drumpf, it's going to be a beatdown of Reagan vs Mondale proportions.  While he hasn't been losing his voters, he hasn't been winning voters.  He scares people, and he'll scare a lot of Republican voters into voting for Hilary or Bernie Sanders.

• Love 1

In the comment section after the message disavowing the Arrow Reddit, they mentioned that site often had people from DC do interview or chats so they at least had some sort of relationship, though not official. 

I hope so, too. For US's sakes and us overseas as well. I'll link to the article if anyone's interested. It's a little old - September 2015 - but  I can confirm it's accurate. It's a comment we have made kinda jokingly - "Oh, look, he's USA's Berlusconi" but reading all the similarities they have, it's no joke at all. The opposition must be strong, otherwise consequences won't be pretty.

Thanks for posting the article. It was an interesting read. Sadly, I think there is a strong possibility that Trump may actually be elected. It scares me because he is so unpredictable and volatile. But perhaps once he gets in there he will completely change for the better, and that is as strong a possibility as anything. Because if there is one thing that is consistent about Trump is he is a wild card and he is beholden to only one person & ideology and that is Trump. So whatever he is promising may be or may not be something he actually pursues if he gets into office.

(edited)

This is probably rich, coming from a Russian, but I still can't believe you guys could actually elect Trump. Jeez, he seems like a clown... a scary clown. 

We actually have a politician with a similar rhetoric who's been active for decades, but nobody really takes him seriously (also, he's basically bought by Kremlin, like most our politicians).

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for posting the article. It was an interesting read. Sadly, I think there is a strong possibility that Trump may actually be elected. It scares me because he is so unpredictable and volatile. But perhaps once he gets in there he will completely change for the better, and that is as strong a possibility as anything. Because if there is one thing that is consistent about Trump is he is a wild card and he is beholden to only one person & ideology and that is Trump. So whatever he is promising may be or may not be something he actually pursues if he gets into office.

If there are any Trump supporters here, feel free to scroll past this comment.

Drumpf pontificates as though he thinks he'll be King Drumpf or Dictator Drumpf  but he can't actually ever be either of those things. For all it's faults and foibles our system, thankfully, prevents such a thing. So unless he plans on overthrowing our current political system that features a Separation of Powers, he won't ever be able to deport 12 million people or build a literal YUUUUUGGGEEE impenetrable "Colony"-esque wall between Mexico and the US. 

Even though I joke about getting my passport renewed in case I need to move to Canada, (preferably Vancouver because I LOVE Vancouver) I have faith that our electorate will realize he's a divisive, racist, misogynist, bloviating dipshit who is only in this for the gamesmanship of seeing if he can get the nomination.  No matter where one falls on the political spectrum, I refuse to believe my country will elect that nincompoop.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

I hope you're right @Catrox14... but I'm losing faith in the American population. For all of his crazy talk, he is hitting a cord with a good percentage of Americans. And honestly, their other options on both sides aren't spectacular. Perhaps, it will rain on election day and people just won't go out to vote.

(edited)

I hope you're right @Catrox14... but I'm losing faith in the American population. For all of his crazy talk, he is hitting a cord with a good percentage of Americans. And honestly, their other options on both sides aren't spectacular. Perhaps, it will rain on election day and people just won't go out to vote.

Respectfully, please don't hope for low voter turnout, no matter what. There is already too much voter suppression of the poor and PoC  in this country now. I worry that low voter turnout will be in his favor. But even before the general election he still has to win the nomination and no matter what Cruz, Rubio and Kasich promised at a debate, they will not back him. I just don't see that happening.  UNLESS Drumpf is Frank Underwood and he has dirt on every single politician he's up against, whatever they say at that debate is BS, IMO.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
(edited)

Respectfully, please don't hope for low voter turnout, no matter what. There is already too much voter suppression of the poor and PoC  in this country now. I worry that low voter turnout will be in his favor. But even before the general election he still has to win the nomination and no matter what Cruz, Rubio and Kasich promised at a debate, they will not back him. I just don't see that happening.

Sorry, it was partially a joke. I remember from the West Wing (& even real like political pundits) talking about weather and its impact on elections. I never meant to connect it to or imply I wanted voter suppression. I agree that there are major problems with voter suppression.

I really don't know what to really hope for with this election. It's just scary to think about. I never thought Christie would support him, but that happened. Even if he doesn't win the nomination he can still damage the country and the electorate. Either way, I see nothing good about the current political atmosphere in the USA. It's no surprise after SuperTuesday google tracked a spike in searches for how to move to Canada.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply you were into voter suppression!

I read a funny thing that this was all a plan by Trump and Hillary to destroy the Republican party.  I mean that is crazy but I would be impressed and horrified at the same time....

• Love 2

Isn't this a dude who said he'd date his own daughter if they weren't related? How can ANYONE vote for him?!

7fbb4d492c7d87a7fe564dda52451203.jpg

I was so much better off a minute ago when I didn't have this information.

• Love 1

Shit. Someone just spoiled the death for me. :/ I kinda figured but I'm still annoyed. Is it one hundred percent sure?

You mean the Arrow death? I hope you didn't find out over here! If so I'd feel really bad and apologize in advance. 

Lol, nah. The social media thread stuff I thought was just speculation. Tumblr is angry, apparently across all fandoms, right now.

Tumblr is always passionate about something :p It's not going to be a good month there after what happened on The 100 and now with the death on Arrow... I'm just glad my bubble on tumblr and twitter are rather small :)