Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it weird that I don't know how I feel about that GG clip? I loved the show (apart from the last couple of seasons) but IDK. It felt a little off. I'm still excited for the return though! 

• Love 1

I think it's just the fact that they haven't filmed together in so long... The chemistry seems a bit strange, also the fact that Rory's a lot older now (probably Lorelai's age when the show aired) so the dynamic may be a little strange as well...

Hopefully it's just hte clip that's strange and it's not like this throughout the mini series

3 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I had to actually open IMDb to remember who the other woman is supposed to be. Like, I remember her, but I do not remember anything romantic past the 1st episode.

That's why I think

Ross's obsession with Elizabeth

is going to be a hard sell to watchers of the series.  There were/are very few Ross/Elizabeth shippers during S1 because people Eleanor Tomlinson's Demelza portrayal and her chemistry with Aidan Turner overshadowed everything.  The BBC was and is still trying hard to sell the triangle but I doubt it's going to resonate as much as they want it to.

• Love 2

Yeah, I've known generally that there were things coming down the line on Poldark that I would hate, so in my mind, it's an eight episode series. I may watch some of the new episodes until one makes me mad and then I'm bailing.

• Love 2

Yeah, S1 works pretty well as a self-contained story. I mean, they do that thing where they finish the story, and then the last 30 seconds of the season are a cliffhanger setup for S2, but you can turn it off before it happens and/or ignore it.

• Love 1

I'm watching Stranger Things and I absolutely love it so far. But it's taken me 3 episodes to figure out one of the actors is Matthew Modine. He looks so different! Haha.

Also are they gonna release the soundtrack because I need it.

• Love 3

A bit random, but . . . Has anyone else flouted Edna Mode's ban and actually bought one of those dresses with an attached cape? I saw one online in emerald green (my signature color) and just couldn't resist.  It came today and hits me about at my knee.  I twirled for my husband and squealed that I felt like Lando Calrissian in Cloud City, which is weird because it's just occurring to me that I'm more a Darth Vader girl.  I haven't seen any actual women wearing a cape dress in my sleepy Midwestern city, so I wondered what you worldly women think (the worldly guys on here can weigh in, too).  If you all tell me cape dresses are considered goofy, I'll just pin a glittery letter on the front and wear it for Halloween. 

I've been making a lot of impulse clothing purchases recently because I'm even more self-conscious about this hideous scar than I thought.  No fewer than 6 people--including complete strangers--have asked me if I got in a knife fight.  

I'm normally fine wearing whatever I like whether other people approve or not, but even my normal preference to err on the side of gaudy seems a bit risky on this.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, EmeraldArcher said:

A bit random, but . . . Has anyone else flouted Edna Mode's ban and actually bought one of those dresses with an attached cape? I saw one online in emerald green (my signature color) and just couldn't resist.  It came today and hits me about at my knee.  I twirled for my husband and squealed that I felt like Lando Calrissian in Cloud City, which is weird because it's just occurring to me that I'm more a Darth Vader girl.  I haven't seen any actual women wearing a cape dress in my sleepy Midwestern city, so I wondered what you worldly women think (the worldly guys on here can weigh in, too).  If you all tell me cape dresses are considered goofy, I'll just pin a glittery letter on the front and wear it for Halloween. 

I've been making a lot of impulse clothing purchases recently because I'm even more self-conscious about this hideous scar than I thought.  No fewer than 6 people--including complete strangers--have asked me if I got in a knife fight.  

I'd like to think that Edna Mode's rule only applies to whatever you wear when fighting bad guys, not pretty civilian dresses :) I say go for it.

And I hope you answered in the knife fight questions in the affirmative ("Why, yes, I did. With the last person that asked me that question") because wow, those people were rude. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 6
(edited)
32 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

Wow!  Your dress is gorgeous!  I like the the deep V neck and the split cape in the back.  It's a great color, too, and seems a bit menswear inspired? Love it!

Here's the one I bought: Cape Dress

BTW, thanks for responding to my silly little post, @SmallScreenDiva, and for showing solidarity when it comes to cape dresses! :-)

I bought the exact same dress in black.  Thank goodness we didn't attend the same social event--what a faux pas!  I might return it because it might be too warm for an event in New Orleans in September, and I don't live a glamorous enough life to wear it otherwise.

I'm sorry you're dealing with really rude questions but am glad you made it through surgery safely.

Edited by thegirlsleuth
  • Love 3

I LOVE your dress, it's gorgeous! And that's not gaudy at all. One of the things I love about that style is you can dress it up or down, depending on your accessories.

Confession: EBR's look from last year's Paley Fest inspired my purchase :)

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I LOVE your dress, it's gorgeous! And that's not gaudy at all. One of the things I love about that style is you can dress it up or down, depending on your accessories.

Confession: EBR's look from last year's Paley Fest inspired my purchase :)

That was actually a good look, so there's no shame in that. I think your dress takes on a man's three-piece suit basically, playing with the image of a vest with a jacket thrown over the shoulders. And kudos for wearing something short. I don't because my legs aren't my best feature and these things always, always rise up on me when I sit down. That's why I stick to knee length.

• Love 2
On 7/30/2016 at 0:46 AM, lemotomato said:

I'd like to think that Edna Mode's rule only applies to whatever you wear when fighting bad guys, not pretty civilian dresses :) I say go for it.

And I hope you answered in the knife fight questions in the affirmative ("Why, yes, I did. With the last person that asked me that question") because wow, those people were rude. 

Right after surgery, I had huge, dark bruises all over both arms from the surgery and a few blown IVs (my veins are a tricky stick). At that time, the incision was still under bandages, so when people asked about injuries, I told them I'm currently on a winning streak on the underground cage fight circuit. ;-)

But, I like your suggestion of making people realize how much peril they're in just by asking rude, intrusive questions!

• Love 4
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

It's the one from the West End play. 

Yeah, knew about the play, had no idea they were turning it into a book.

After doing some research, this isn't a novelization of the play, it's a book in script form or something like that. I might have to pass.

Edited by Morrigan2575
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah, knew about the play, had no idea they were turning it into a book.

After doing some research, this isn't a novelization of the play, it's a book in script form or something like that. I might have to pass.

I bought it and finished it today. You really really should pass. It's not very good, and I've decided that I'm going to ignore it as far as canon goes. 

As far as the two worst things about it:

Spoiler

The antagonist is the daughter of Bellatrix and Voldermort. Yep. Also, at one point Cedric Diggory becomes a death eater (because he lost the triwizard tournament because timey wimey) and kills Neville.

It honestly reads like very very bad crack fanfiction. I can't believe this is an actual play.

• Love 1

Thanks for the review. I don't really enjoy reading anything in script form. If you guve me fanfic that's all script or text/chat conversations I have no interest. So, that's an automatic negative plus your review doesn't make it sound too appealing. I'll wait and get it from the local library instead.

PS: just read a review from a 10 year old who finished the story in an hour...yeah I'll pass.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, EmeraldArcher said:

Right after surgery, I had huge, dark bruises all over both arms from the surgery and a few blown IVs (my veins are a tricky stick). At that time, the incision was still under bandages, so when people asked about injuries, I told them I'm currently on a winning streak on the underground cage fight circuit. ;-)

But, I like your suggestion of making people realize how much peril they're in just by asking rude, intrusive questions!

mmm I can understand why someone would get annoyed with people asking questions, but as a human being when I see someone who has multiple bruises, especially a woman, my first instinct is to worry and wonder if she needs help. granted though most abused women tend to cover up their bruises so as not to raise questions, but not all them do.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, foreverevolving said:

mmm I can understand why someone would get annoyed with people asking questions, but as a human being when I see someone who has multiple bruises, especially a woman, my first instinct is to worry and wonder if she needs help. granted though most abused women tend to cover up their bruises so as not to raise questions, but not all them do.

I thought about that aspect, too.  In fact, my husband asked me to wear sleeves to cover the bruises when they were at their worst because he was hyper-aware of people looking at both of us when we were out together. ETA: He felt that everyone who saw my bruises as we were out in public thought he was the one to give them to me. He didn't want people to think that about him, but more importantly, he didn't want any woman who might be suffering in silence to see our interaction and think that I was complicit in my abuse by acting happy in public. He's very much a feminist and didn't want to inadvertently do damage.

Edited by EmeraldArcher
Got called away before I could finish my thought.
  • Love 2

God, guys, don't ever read the boards moments before sleep, especially when you're exhausted both physically and emotionally and it's 30 degrees outside (Celsius, no idea in Fahrenheit, sorry, but it's really hot). 

I just had the weirdest dream ever. It was framed as a TV show (of course), which at first had Battlestar Galactica (reimagined)/Supergirl cross over after the end of BSG. For some reason, it still had Starbuck (even despite her, you know, being dead and an "angel"), and also Apollo who were saving people and stuff and then magically got the Supergirl and Superman costumes (yes, really). Now that I'm thinking about it, it probably has something with Starbuck's name also being Kara. I don't really remember what they were doing, but my dream viewer-self was pretty amazed. I also remember thinking Apollo was pretty in character.

Anyway, here's when it gets (even more) weird. For some reason, they get to a school... from Glee. Yes, really. It's also post-apocalyptic and most rooms are boarded up. It's abandoned, with the only person inside being Sue Sylvester. At this point my dream self exclaimed loudly that she was so done with Sue Sylvester and was glad to see Glee over just to get rid of that character. And the worst thing is Sue also becomes Supergirl, saving some couple living in a garden (?) with their child. They are also using an Android Nougat (yeah I was just reading about that) based device to manage crops and stuff. It works kinda like GECK from Fallout 2, but nobody here would probably understand the reference, and looks like a cartoon shoe.

At some point this crazy story stops because I wake up (I confess, I was a bit disappointed to wake up from THAT).

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I guess I just needed to write that down somewhere while I still remember something.

• Love 4

ETA: According to @AyChihuahua's profile, her last post was on July 22.  Hopefully, she's just busy or maybe away on vacation?

Wow - Nathan Fillion has lost a lot of weight since Castle ended...

Nerd HQ 2016: A Conversation with Nathan Fillion

Edited by tv echo
9 hours ago, FurryFury said:

God, guys, don't ever read the boards moments before sleep, especially when you're exhausted both physically and emotionally and it's 30 degrees outside (Celsius, no idea in Fahrenheit, sorry, but it's really hot). 

I just had the weirdest dream ever. It was framed as a TV show (of course), which at first had Battlestar Galactica (reimagined)/Supergirl cross over after the end of BSG. For some reason, it still had Starbuck (even despite her, you know, being dead and an "angel"), and also Apollo who were saving people and stuff and then magically got the Supergirl and Superman costumes (yes, really). Now that I'm thinking about it, it probably has something with Starbuck's name also being Kara. I don't really remember what they were doing, but my dream viewer-self was pretty amazed. I also remember thinking Apollo was pretty in character.

Anyway, here's when it gets (even more) weird. For some reason, they get to a school... from Glee. Yes, really. It's also post-apocalyptic and most rooms are boarded up. It's abandoned, with the only person inside being Sue Sylvester. At this point my dream self exclaimed loudly that she was so done with Sue Sylvester and was glad to see Glee over just to get rid of that character. And the worst thing is Sue also becomes Supergirl, saving some couple living in a garden (?) with their child. They are also using an Android Nougat (yeah I was just reading about that) based device to manage crops and stuff. It works kinda like GECK from Fallout 2, but nobody here would probably understand the reference, and looks like a cartoon shoe.

At some point this crazy story stops because I wake up (I confess, I was a bit disappointed to wake up from THAT).

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I guess I just needed to write that down somewhere while I still remember something.

WOW!  What an crazy-awesome dream, and the fact that you can recall so much of it is amazing.  I'm also a vivid dreamer with good recall, and I love to discuss dreams just for the fun of hearing how crazily creative the human brain can be.  And, I know well that urge to tell people about your dream because it's just so vivid that it lingers.

• Love 3

My sister is a vivid dreamer and is always telling me about hers.  While I can barely remember my dreams. I sometimes remember right when I wake up but if I try to recall it later I don't remember anything about it. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

You know, I'm looking forward to the Olympics starting next week.

Just for one reason, to see how they're going to hold an Olympics with only a few countries after every other country says "Screw this, we're leaving.  Keep the medals, we don't give a shit, we're getting out of this place."  This whole thing is going to lead to a revolt against the IOC by almost every country.

Meanwhile they've disqualified like half of my country's national team for Olympics. Not that I care, really. I don't watch sports. But still, kinda strange - no idea if it's politics or something else as well.