Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I'm just starting to get the feel of a larger arc underneath - the last episode I watched was the one with Supergirl's clone (who looks remarkably like Power Girl). But the crack...oh my! :) Turning Wonder Woman into a pig? And making Batman sing to get her back? Hahahahaha wow.

ETA: how much of this should I be putting behind spoiler tags? I know the show's been around for a while, but I didn't know if there were still some people who would prefer to remain unspoiled.

I forgot about the Wonder Pig.  Lol. 

If you ever have the chance check out Batman, The Brave and the Bold.  All it is is one cracktastic episode after the other.  It  has these cold openings that frequently have nothing to do with the rest of the episode but it has things like Aquaman singing about his life like the intro to a 50's sitcom, or Steve Trevor strapped to a rocket but happy and smiling as he waits for Wonder Woman to save him and carry him away bridal style.  Plus the wonder of the Music Meister episode.  Oh, it is a thing of beauty.   

• Love 2

If you ever have the chance check out Batman, The Brave and the Bold. All it is is one cracktastic episode after the other.

I'll have to watch for that. Neither Netflix or Amazon Prime has it available right now unfortunately.

Random comment based on the commercial for Direct TV that just played on my TV.  I really want Crownies to exist.  (half Brownie half cupcake) They look delicious. 

Challenge accepted!! (i'm a pastry chef okay.. stuff like that are my soul bread and butter)

I'm sure there's a way.. I must do research. This may even already exist.

ETA: okay so it's totally easy to make, although the cupcake is supposed to be a cookie batter, but I think with a bit of trial and error one can use a cupcake batter

So, just fill a cupcake paper 1/3 with cupcake batter, than pour in the brownie batter right in the middle (it probably be easier to use a piping bag as you could control the way the brownie batter is placed straight in the middle of the batter, but without touching the bottom or the sides- does it make sense?), but in a way that the cupcake batter gets pushed to the sides and encompass the brownie batter all around except the top. it's a bit tricky but should be too hard, even for someone who doesn't bake very often.

This link has some really nice pic of a home made variation with the cookie I think.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10234892/anyone-tried-a-crownie

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 4

That cookie dough option sounds pretty fabulous as well. Hmm. Will have to do some shopping this weekend. What's the written form of that sound Homer Simpson makes while looking at donuts?

Regarding the crownie: would the brownie batter have to be tweaked as well? Most brownie recipes I've used bake between 20-40 minutes and cupcakes are usually done in about 12-15 minutes.

I'm no expert, but when I've made cupcakes I take the normal cake batter which for the bigger cake also would cook for like 40 minutes. Wouldn't it by virtue of being smaller already adjust the time needed to cook it?
  • Love 1

Regarding the crownie: would the brownie batter have to be tweaked as well? Most brownie recipes I've used bake between 20-40 minutes and cupcakes are usually done in about 12-15 minutes.

Since it's a Tony Romo recipe, I'd advise against making them.  Because they won't deliver in crunch time.

• Love 4

I don't think so.

Like I said i've never actually made these, so my explanation is very basic.

i'm getting a new stronger AC for my kitchen this weekend so i'll be back to baking - without melting myself away - at full force and will be able to try it out.

• Love 1

I've thought about whether I'd want a female Dr Who and I've come to the conclusion I don't. I think HA would make a fabulous new Time Lord gadding about the universe but I think the Doctor himself just too strongly identifies as male for me to want him to become female. That said I'd probably still watch and just pretend it was a different character.

• Love 1

No, Hayley, don't be Dr Who. Be in things that I actually want to watch.

Seriously, that show ran out of ideas about three seasons into its resurrection. Have they finally finished scraping the bottom of that upturned Dalek shell yet? No? There might be a tiny bit more Dalek left to spread across another episode or three? Really?

• Love 1

I was gleeful when Adams had red hair. Hair color is such a minor thing in this day and age. That said I was also thrilled that she wasn't built like a bombshell as some in the Smallville world had been insisting was now a necessary character trait. I was very pleased that it was her brains that were considered the most necessary trait.

• Love 2

I know it's a minor thing, but for some bizarre reason it really threw me. I loved the character - I just couldn't for the life of me make myself think of her as "Lois Lane".

But then my mental image of Lois was set by Teri Hatcher's version. I liked Erica Durance's version too (sorry!) but when someone says Lois Lane the picture that immediately comes into my head is TH's Lois.

ETA: yeah I know it's weird, truly. I can't explain my brain. :/

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 4

I liked Erica Durance's version too (sorry!)

. Hey, at least you know to be sorry. They say that knowing is half the battle. ;p

but when someone says Lois Lane the picture that immediately comes into my head is TH's Lois.

I'm good with Teri Hatcher as a role model for Lois Lane. If I hadn't had such issues with EDLois on Smallville I might have been less open to change myself.

• Love 1

Hey, at least you know to be sorry. They say that knowing is half the battle. ;p

LOL. :p

ETA: since we're talking about Lois, I noticed when I was watching Justice League that she has violet eyes. Is that a thing for her in the comics?

Edited by Starfish35

Teri Hatcher is my Lois Lane. I still remember watching Lois & Clark and wanting to be a journalist because of her.

Smallville Lois. This is a case of me liking the actress and thinking she could fill the role well, but hating how they choose to write her 'evolution' into Lois Lane: Daily Planet. After watching Chloe work hard and grow into the role only to watch her get trashed on so Lois Lance could arrive...I have so many feelings on that.

I like Amy Adams as Lois Lane. I like Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman. I don't like them together. I don't know if it's a lack of chemistry thing or what. They don't work together for me so it throws me off.

I like Amy Adams as Lois Lane. I like Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman. I don't like them together. I don't know if it's a lack of chemistry thing or what. They don't work together for me so it throws me off.

Interesting.  Do you think more screen time between them might "fix" things or do you think it's a lost cause for you?

I'm hopeful that more screentime will improve the dynamic. It was too rushed and heavy in the first one. I would have preferred they not have done anything romantic-wise with them in the first one. That is all script problems.

As for Adams and Cavill themselves, I've very much aware of the almost 10-year age difference between. I think its because I watch them on The Graham Norton Show and I got a big sis-little bro vibe off of them. I haven't been able too shake it.

I'm hopeful that more screentime will improve the dynamic. It was too rushed and heavy in the first one. I would have preferred they not have done anything romantic-wise with them in the first one. That is all script problems.

As for Adams and Cavill themselves, I've very much aware of the almost 10-year age difference between. I think its because I watch them on The Graham Norton Show and I got a big sis-little bro vibe off of them. I haven't been able too shake it.

I've always wondered what Cavill was trying to convey with the thigh-slapping (conversation starts at 4:10, thigh-slapping at 5:16)?

Edited by dcinmb

Henry Cavill is amazing!! Loved him in just about everything. I know his superman was dark but I loved him. Has anyone seen his new movie the man from UNCLE.

Their chemistry never bothered me perhaps because I still think of lois & clarks's as the superman couple. And their acting was good with or without the other, so that was good enough for me.

• Love 2

I've thought about whether I'd want a female Dr Who and I've come to the conclusion I don't. I think HA would make a fabulous new Time Lord gadding about the universe but I think the Doctor himself just too strongly identifies as male for me to want him to become female. That said I'd probably still watch and just pretend it was a different character.

Hey if they were able to make the Master into a female (which.. my god I never thought anyone could top John Simm - I found him to be a great incarnation, but Michelle Gomez "Missy" is the cherry on the cake! can you imagine her opposite any of the other doctors!).. so yea we're way past due time for a female Doctor imo.

I know it's a minor thing, but for some bizarre reason it really threw me. I loved the character - I just couldn't for the life of me make myself think of her as "Lois Lane".

But then my mental image of Lois was set by Teri Hatcher's version. I liked Erica Durance's version too (sorry!) but when someone says Lois Lane the picture that immediately comes into my head is TH's Lois.

That make two of us.. with that being said, I was a young child looking back I think that Lois while representing her time fall a bit off for me as a 21st century female. something about her just doesn't fully click for me, despite how awesome she was. I think she's the first image that comes to mind simply because for me she's the first live action version of Lois that i've seen as a child (yep took me until my mid teens to learn there was even a Superman movie before L&C show).

. Hey, at least you know to be sorry. They say that knowing is half the battle. ;p

I'm good with Teri Hatcher as a role model for Lois Lane. If I hadn't had such issues with EDLois on Smallville I might have been less open to change myself.

And yet despite what I wrote above, I did personally love ED Lois. I'm intrigued to know what your issues with her are though.

I wonder, would you feel the same way if it was the other way around? Cavill being older than Adams?

This is an interesting article I recently read about how most leading men in hollywood tend to play opposite much younger female co-stars.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/older-men-and-younger-women-why-hollywood-drags-its-feet-on-age-gaps-20150811-giwhew.html

So i'm loving the fact that Adams is in fact the older one of the two.

ETA:

rest in peace Yvonne Craig AKA Batgirl.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/yvonne-craig-dead-batgirl-batman-dies-1201573165/

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

I would prefer if they were closer in age than any big difference either way. In all honestly, it probably wouldn't bug me as much if he was older. I now that sounds pretty bad and rather small minded. HC just comes across as too boyish to me sometimes. 

Henry Cavill is amazing!! Loved him in just about everything. I know his superman was dark but I loved him. Has anyone seen his new movie the man from UNCLE.

Their chemistry never bothered me perhaps because I still think of lois & clarks's as the superman couple. And their acting was good with or without the other, so that was good enough for me.

I've liked Henry Cavill since The Tudors. I used to see him and Gina Carano at my local Whole Foods and a few of my neighborhood restaurants and he is even better looking in person.

I've always loved this story:

You Won’t Believe What Henry Cavill Did Before He Was Superman

Giana Mucci

June 18, 2013

Back in 2005 I became friends with an extremely handsome restaurant host named Henry. Little did I know it was Henry Cavill, on the cusp of fame.

I used to walk my rescued malamute, Buddy, by the new neighborhood tapas restaurant in West Hollywood, California, each night. Buddy immediately took to Henry. And I must admit, so did I, almost immediately giving him the moniker "Hot Henry." He was, without a doubt, the most handsome person I'd ever seen in real life and also, quite possibly, the nicest. The British accent didn't hurt either.

I knew Henry was an actor, but when you live in the Los Angeles area — especially in West Hollywood — about 90 percent of the people you meet are "actors." One day I naively offered to help him get an agent. He graciously declined, saying he was in good hands with CAA (Creative Artist Agency — essentially the Rolls-Royce of acting agencies). This was the first time I wondered to myself, who is this guy?

Henry and Buddy adored each other. I was simply the lucky bystander of their friendship. Buddy had a huge personality, and when he really liked someone he would howl and give the warmest of bear hugs. Henry got this type of greeting nightly. It was incredible to see how kind he was with this big 100-plus pound, wolf-like dog that intimidated most people.

After Henry offered a few times to walk Buddy if I ever needed help, I finally took him up on it. Henry just wanted to do this as a favor, but I insisted on paying him. After all, he was a struggling actor, right?

The next time I called Henry to see if he could walk Buddy, I didn't hear back, which seemed a little strange. A couple weeks later, I got a voicemail from him apologizing for not being able to help and explaining he had been overseas auditioning for Bond. Wait, what? Bond? James Bond? Who was this guy? And how embarrassed should I be that I had asked him to walk my dog??? Suddenly my "Hot Henry" was up-and-coming actor Henry Cavill. After coming in second to Daniel Craig for the role of Bond, he immediately booked a leading role on the Showtime series "The Tudors." It was a whirlwind. One second I saw him nightly and considered him my friend-slash-backup dog walker, and the next he was becoming a movie star. It still doesn’t seem real.

I got to see Henry about a year and a half ago at a press event for the fantasy drama "Immortals," in which he starred. I was among the last of the journalists to interview him. He now had much darker hair and had put on an insane amount of muscle and, truthfully, looked exhausted. I did not know how this would go. He immediately recognized me, hugged me and asked me about Buddy. Despite all that had changed in his life, he was still the same Henry — as humble and thoughtful as ever. It was very surreal to see him that day. Part of me just wanted to chat with him about old times, and the other side of me was keenly aware of the team of press relations and studio execs waiting to usher him to the next interview. Before Henry left to do more press, he looked down, and said quietly, "I miss Buddy." My heart melted. He was a movie star now, yet he genuinely missed my loving dog.

I realize that I only shared a brief moment of time with Henry, but he will always be the sweet, kindhearted, ridiculously handsome guy who was so genuinely compassionate toward my best friend and me. I can say firsthand that Henry Cavill, aka the Man of Steel, is as beautiful on the inside as he is on the outside. He has always been super — and now finally the world gets to see it.

Congratulations, Henry, on all of your success. No one deserves it more.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/bp/won-t-believe-henry-cavill-did-superman-155237646.html

[edited because Gina Carano and Gia Carides are not the same people!]

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 6

From the Awards thread, about the Girl on Top eonline poll.

I've been voting for Candice too, but I'm just surprised. I know SwanQueen shippers support Lana more than Jennifer, but I figured Jennifer would have the CaptainSwan fans supporting her, especially since didn't Colin O'Donaghue win the male version of this poll?

I'm also surprised about the results of the Amy Acker vs Stana Katic poll. Is POI fandom really that much bigger than Castle fandom these days?

I saw that tonight! I really enjoyed it, despite one too many Guy Ritchie-isms. It was a fun, old-school spy buddy movie. I have to admit that I probably spent more time focusing on how gorgeous Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer looked than on the plot.
  • Love 1

And yet despite what I wrote above, I did personally love ED Lois. I'm intrigued to know what your issues with her are though.

To start, she never was convincing to me as Lois Lane. Above all, I need my Lois to be smart and EDLois continually hurt me with her having the attitude but nothing to back it up. I actually enjoyed her in her very first two appearances (which when they decided to keep her around, they quickly walked back anything good about her) and on the rare occasions when they remembered the family/friendship dynamic between she and Chloe I still enjoyed her but while TPTB might have enjoyed her lack of focus or interest in journalism and pursuing the truth, I did not. I also hated her lack of ethics and the retconning the show did re her reporting ability. I saw red when in season nine they had her reminiscing about her least favorite journalism teacher - which show canon says she never had- and her putting in her time on the obits and hotline. Nope, that was Chloe. Lois got hired and immediately sent on out of town assignments - even if none of her stories ever were shown to be published in season seven but that didn't stop season eight from opening up with the new head of The Daily Planet wishing she could kill her but not able because she was too important to the Papers revenue!!!! argh!!,!,!,!,!,

On the personal side, she and Clark treated each other like brother and sister for too long so the idea of them being together was revolting to me and when it came it happened as out of the blue as her sudden star reporter status. I'm pretty sure Clark put on a button down shirt in season eight and she suddenly figured out he was hot. As for Clark, do not get me started on Clark's sudden arrival of season nine feelings for Lois. It was as lightswitched then as Lois's skill as a reporter was and coincidentally timed again with the arrival of new show runners bent on taking the show in their own way. Not only were they highly unconvincing but they made Clark act even worse than he already was. I loathed Clark in season nine.

So I didn't buy them as falling for each other, but even something like that I could get over but the show right to to end kept reinforcing how wrong they were for each other.

I hated that Lois was doomed never to be the top priority in Clark's life - something she vowed never to live with after the childhood she had and Clark always dreamed of having a true partnership with his mate and instead I saw Lois pretty much just doing her thing, not really caring if he involved her or not as long as he called to keep her updated. She was willing to help if it involved reporting but she left any of the hero work to him once she found out the truth.

Clark seemed to be deliberately keeping her at a distance so she would not suffer like the people who had really been close to him had. Suddenly he liked that she didn't get involved. She had faith in him but it was the kind that assumed Clark was perfect and never made mistakes or might need help. AND even on her wedding day she didn't think of Clark as a regular man that needed love, but a god who's time she shouldn't be taking up. She plain didn't understand him. As for Clark, the only reason it seems he shared his secret (or even started dating her again) was because he got a guarantee from the future right when he was thinking he and Lois were a dead end. Not very romantic for an epic love story.

So yeah, I have issues and that's before I even consider how Lois's promotion on the show in later seasons only seemed to be accomplished at the expense of Chloe. I'm going to try to leave it there. Smallville has been off the air since spring of 2011 but I'm not over the trauma yet.

I would prefer if they were closer in age than any big difference either way. In all honestly, it probably wouldn't bug me as much if he was older. I now that sounds pretty bad and rather small minded. HC just comes across as too boyish to me sometimes.

I would have never guessed the age difference. I did pick up on the boyish quality in MoS but I saw it as a sign of Clark being isolated and alone most of his life so that in a way he was naive and almost too trusting when he did open up. It was actually one of my favorite things about HC's portrayal lol.

After watching Chloe work hard and grow into the role only to watch her get trashed on so Lois Lance could arrive...I have so many feelings on that.

So yeah, I have issues and that's before I even consider how Lois's promotion on the show in later seasons only seemed to be accomplished at the expense of Chloe....

Hmm... why does all that sound familiar?

Edited by tv echo

Talking of Amy Acker, I've always thought if you were to have a female Doctor Who, she'd be my choice.

I love Amy Acker, but she's American. I have a feeling people would be even more up-in-arms about casting an American actor for Doctor Who than they would getting a female Doctor.

I would never have guessed about the age difference between Adams and Cavill. But I thought they had good chemistry. Certainly better than Routh and Bosworth (though I suppose that's a low bar to cross). I love Alex Kingston's and Matt Smith's chemistry though, and Alex is 19 years older than Matt.

As for EDLois.....I think I ended up skipping over a lot of the worst of what they did with her, since I quit watching after season six. I watched the series finale for nostalgia's sake, but I've never seen most of seasons 7-10. I have to wonder, reading about all the sudden course corrections and blatant ret-cons, whether the new showrunners were under some sort of DC mandate to "fix" Lois after Millar and Gough were shown the door. I do think, at least from what I saw, that Goughlar deserves some of the blame for taking Lois so far from what she should have been in the first place. But then I have no love for Goughlar. I remember people saying on the TWOP boards that if Goughlar had their way, the last shot of the series would be Lana Lang waving Clark off to his grand destiny. I've never doubted it.

Edited by Starfish35

I would never have guessed about the age difference between Adams and Cavill. But I thought they had good chemistry. Certainly better than Routh and Bosworth (though I suppose that's a low bar to cross).

Well of course, Bosworth was horrible.  Routh made for a good Superman, but Bosworth was a terrible choice for Lois.

• Love 3

I never understood why they had to introduce Lois to the Daily Planet in that way. Yelling about invisible space ships and then sleeping with the editor. And Chloe gets fired for going after the Luthors. It was so stupid.

I actually liked Superman Returns. It wasn't great but it had its moments. The big problem was that Routh and Bosworth can't pulls off that backstory. They looked like college kids.

I'm hopeful that something will spark between Cavill and Adams for me in the next movie.

• Love 2

I love Lois on Smallville. She was the one single character that made me not hate Clark too.

But then, I'm only well-versed in the post-Goughlar seasons. [i've seen selected eps from S1-S7, but I've only obsessively rewatched S8-S10.]

Watching TV Wrong is the name of my next band.

• Love 2

Well of course, Bosworth was horrible.  Routh made for a good Superman, but Bosworth was a terrible choice for Lois.

Routh was about a million times better than Cavill, and that's coming from someone who is no fan of Brandon Routh. But at least his Clark Kent had a semblance of personality and humour, and while his Superman was morose, he never came across as an emo teenager. Cavill has Blue Steel in his armoury, and that's about it. 

I didn't mind Kate Bosworth as Lois, didn't think she was terrible or particularly good. But the best Lois Lane I've seen is Jennifer Jason Leigh in The Hudsucker Proxy, and she wasn't even playing Lois Lane.

I've only been voting for CP and EBR :p I hope both go far in the poll but IMO I think Amy Acker will win the whole thing. Her fans are relentless and really passionate

When did Amy get so famous? Did I miss something?

I first saw him in The Count of Monte Cristo, and to this day I still can't get over the fact that the new Supes used to be tiny Albert Mondego :D

• Love 2

I thought Henry Cavill was great in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. I blame DC's obsession with being dark and gritty on them.

I'm also wondering when Amy Acker's popularity skyrocketed?  I like her as Fred on Angel, but I haven't seen that much from her besides some tv roles. I don't watch POI, is it that mainstream? 

• Love 1