Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Old Spice

Kalinda kept checking her phone during the meeting w/Linda Lavin b/c Alicia was in court and asked her to get some information for them in a timely manner, she was then interrupted by the caseworker.  I can't figure out why Kalinda didn't tell said caseworker that she has a job to do and needed to either get this done now, or she will contact her when she has more free time.

• Love 2

I thought last week that they were constructing a story in which Elspeth had a total psychotic break with reality (the wallpaper pulsing, the hallucinations, the talking penguins), and that they were going with something where people would not notice the signs of the mental collapse quickly enough because they were used to screening out the quirkiness.

I 100% thought the same thing and I was really annoyed by it since that's not funny.  I work in Psych and it's a sad and scary thing to watch that I would not wish on my worst enemy.  We now know that she mentally ok and just quirkier than she ever was before but not in genius kind of way but in a weird kind of way.

I love Linda Lavin!!  She plays that no nonsense, dry witted, almost surly persona so well!!!  

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 2

I live in Chicago and have driven to Indiana using highways, which make it very clear when you're crossing the state line.  As others have pointed out, the specifics of Cary's Indiana foray were extremely contrived.

<snipped>

I lived in Munster, Indiana, and you'd go from Illinois to Indiana and back without a sign on back roads. Having said that, I don't know of a road that meanders across the state line.

Never thought I'd say this but I felt pity for Grace having Alicia use her faith as a primer lesson for her campaign. It's fine to ask her daughter about her beliefs if it didn't come across as so mercenary and self serving, which I would think Grace would catch on.

There's a lot to knock Alicia on this season, but I personally don't think this is among those.  We saw her being very open with Grace about why she was asking what she was asking and what she intended to do with it.  Grace didn't have to catch on to what she was honestly being told openly (and it's strongly implied, was asked whether or not she minded--although we didn't see it put in quite those terms).

• Love 3

ood point.  Religion is talked about a lot in federal elections, I'm assuming largely due to choice.  I work in politics, but I'm from the northeast.  I find it shocking that in many parts of the country it's the norm to use God as a marketing tool on your campaign.  Anything beyond "may God bless the United States of America" is too much to me.  God isn't really taking a side in our political contests.  Or for that matter, sporting events.  When people pray for their team to win, I visualize God banging his head into a wall.

Fellow political worker here as well, but Cook County born and bred! Yes Illinois is pretty Democratic, so any Democrat running there already has a head start. However a big chunk of that is because of Chicago and the greater CooK County area. Other parts of the state, especially the further south you go can get pretty conservative. I would normally agree that religion wouldn't be a huge issue in a race like state's attorney. The reason it is an issue for Alicia's race is because she has stated on the record during the governor's race that she is an atheist. If she never really mentioned religion, in a race like hers I doubt it would be brought up. But because there is a past statement out there that she has made concerning her religious beliefs (or lack there of) the press and public see it as fair game. I'm not saying I agree, but it is just how it works. And a lot of people have very set ideas about someone that says they are an atheist (again that isn't fair, but it is the landscape right now) Even in a place like Cook County. It is actually pretty religious. Maybe not bible belt religious, but religious non-the less. If she had said she wasn't sure about God, or something like that (basically what she ended up saying) people would probably be satisfied with that considering the area. But I have no problem believing someone running as an atheist would have a hard time getting elected to a state wide office in Illinois.

Also the fact that she had to "kiss the ring" of the pastor with the talk show As someone who grew up in the black church let me just say that, that is also very true. It's a practice I detest but it's true. One of the reasons Illinois and Cook County especially is so Democratic is the hige black vote.A Democrat can not win without the black vote. And recent polls show that African-American's are among the nation's most faithful churchgoers. So on this I actually think the show got it right. I didn't like it, but it was pretty true.

• Love 5

My take on the parole officer is that she is just doing her job, and that possibly she let someone get away with a slight infraction in the past, only to have her job threatened. People in these mid-level bureaucratic positions really don't get to pick and choose how they enforce rules, especially when there are some ambitious politician-wannabes as their bosses.  I appreciate Linda Lavin's approach to the character, which is a woman who knows her job but also doesn't have a lot of control and that's where that anxiety comes from. She could be the typical self-righteous fist-shaker whom we often see but that would not be accurate of reality.  

Call me an old coot, but if someone - even Kyle Mc - cleared off everything from my desk like that I would be awfully pissed off.  

Elsbeth knew he was an evidence shredder. Kalinda said there was no paper evidence just yet, but as long as Elsbeth brought in something then she knew the AUSA would have a moral lapse. Those two need a spin-off or something. They're a little too kooky for this show.

Alicia has managed to create disillusion for her kids.  Mom- the honest one lies or wants them to lie.  Wonder how that will play out.

The partners pushing Cary around is not going to end well. 

• Love 2

I have loved Elspeth from her first appearance, but this episode was just a little too odd for me. This is one of my favorite shows however, so I can live the occasional "off" episode. Cary just seems to be in a bizarre place right now- I'm actually starting to forget how his current mess got started. And Kalinda-oh somebody help me there. I've been trying to recapture my "like" for the character, but I think I'm just over her at this point. I hope that changes, we'll see.

Linda Lavin's pre-trail bail officer (or whatever her job title is) is now my favorite character on the show.

Elsbeth knew he was an evidence shredder. Kalinda said there was no paper evidence just yet, but as long as Elsbeth brought in something then she knew the AUSA would have a moral lapse. Those two need a spin-off or something. They're a little too kooky for this show.

A spin off with Kalinda and Elsbeth would be fun - if it were written as a comedy by someone who can write comedy.  It would be like an updated Odd Couple - Kalinda with her sexy, leather clothing, her ability to kill a man while wearing heels, and her magic vagina, and Elsbeth with her Sienfeld-esque puffy, button to the chin shirts, fear of sidewalk grates, and her bad luck vagina (since he shredded her evidence and continued to do his job after the desk-sex, we can assume that Elsbeth doesn't have a magic vagina).  They can leave the hallucinations out of it.  

• Love 5

Zach in a comedy while his off screen Mother Alicia threatens him would be fun, with Owen as the kooky Uncle and of course there is the outspoken Grandma, well two, actually.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 5

...Call me an old coot, but if someone - even Kyle Mc - cleared off everything from my desk like that I would be awfully pissed off.

Maybe because I'm likely even older, I'd be thrilled.

I would be quite content with a finale that leaves only Elspeth, Kalinda, and Linda Lavin's characters standing. Then they can have a spinoff.

I'm still a little confused by Linda Lavin's character's word choice regarding why Cary is forbidden from seeing Kalinda: "She's too dangerous." The woman he got stupid drunk with seems more dangerous to me.

• Love 3

Regarding Elspeth and Kyle MacLachlan's character's fling: That is how you write, act, and direct a romantic fling between mature individuals without making the viewer cringe--too much.

In Twin Peaks he spent quite a bit of time sweetly flirting with a server at the diner. No more than flirting since she was supposed to be 17. Perhaps she grew up to be Elspeth. Certainly Elspeth would make a believable character for that show. And if it's true that TPTB are bringing it back, perhpas that can continue the romance there.

• Love 2

The show is getting ridiculous!!  Let's be real about the Harvard Alum event.  I would literally put money on that these things are held in either the very high-end/high brow/snobby places typically in the main downtown areas of the major cities of the US and/or the hip, more cool, yet still very pricey bars in other city neighborhoods like Pittsburgh's Shadyside (http://thinkshadyside.com/) or Philadelphia's Manayunk (http://business.manayunk.com/list/ql/dine-52?c=104&q=&st=1)

Ain't no way Carey would've gone across the state line by accident even in an Uber car!!

I'm still a little confused by Linda Lavin's character's word choice regarding why Cary is forbidden from seeing Kalinda: "She's too dangerous." The woman he got stupid drunk with seems more dangerous to me.

I suppose that LL looked into the histories of both women and the one-night-stand had no criminal record, but Kalinda has been charged with more serious crimes - note "charged" not convicted.

Which leads me to my real opinion - the writers just wanted a reason why Cary couldn't see Kalinda (probably to lead into a plot on a future episode - maybe it will play into her leaving the show? - or maybe MC has decided to be more like JM and no longer wants to appear in scenes with Kalinda) and this was the only reason they came up with - or the most plausible reason they came up with - or the first reason they came up with.

In other words, it doesn't make much sense to me either.

• Love 2

The show is getting ridiculous!!  Let's be real about the Harvard Alum event.  I would literally put money on that these things are held in either the very high-end/high brow/snobby places typically in the main downtown areas of the major cities of the US and/or the hip, more cool, yet still very pricey bars in other city neighborhoods

In the Phoenix area, I'm thinking Arizona Biltmore, or W Hotel in Scottsdale.

I'm a guy (an old guy, mind you) and I've watched the show from the beginning with Mrs. Torqy. These days I watch mostly for the (unintentionally) humorous stuff.

I never had a woman clear off my desk, although one coworker hinted that she wanted to Crisco my desk. Never got around to it.

• Love 1

i go to the Harvard alumni events in DC, and they are held in a regular bar/restaurant in Georgetown.  It's the geographical location that's way off,  The events are held at a place most convenient for as many people as possible.

• Love 2

The J-Serve case is on hold until Josh Perotti's case about stolen intellectual property is solved. Or sold to the Chinese. "In my Opinion", Elsbeth Tascioni's mental problems were still here, until she shagged with Josh Perotti. Maybe he unplugged something ,lol. The pushing off the papers on the desk,and all that was good. Popped buttons and all,lol. But it seemed to clear her head. "I've got his buttons!" And Elsbeth new favorite song, " So call me, Maybe!" So is it over between them? We shall see. But I think Josh shredding the invoice evidence that Elsbeth showed him kinda ruined the relationship.

The fight over the office space of Lockhart,Gardner and Canning was good. Diane, Kalinda versus David Lee and Louis Cannning going back and forth over it was like a chess game. But Canning having other properties nearby will probably be their new office space. Did Louis Canning have kidney problems, is that what he and Diane talked about? Also Florrick/Agos signing Howard Lyman to the team was good. I will miss a chance for Howard to work with David Lee on a case and all that could go back and forth between them. But I hope he is not just pushed to the back and is actually used in court.

Cary's case seems to be twisted around and it doesn't seem to be the priority I thought it would. But they can't solve it in a couple weeks. He also is kind of being pushed around or avoided on the Florrick/Agos decisions.

Honorable Thomas Glatt in court was good. 'Miss Lucy, I mean you!"

Liked Alicia's interview with Pastor Jeremiah Easton, and her help from Grace. "No not an atheist, I'm open." Also the confliction Grace had with her prayer Group congratulating her.

Marrissa Gold to help Alicia was funny, and I liked it.

Cary's slip across the "border" now restricts him from being close to Kalinda. I thought maybe the girl with him was a set up too. Maybe she worked for James Castro? But nothing more came of it,(this episode). And Kalinda can't be near Cary. How will they work around that?

It was funny what Joy Grubick called Lemond Bishop. It sound to me like Lemon(The Citrus)-d Bishop. 2 times a tleast she did that. No one corrected her.

Moving back into their Lockhart Gardner offices was powerful. Diane back in her office and Alicia in Will's. Cary should have his back too. The others maybe different, some must have been replaced by new faces when they left with Alicia and Cary. Also someone will have Alicia's old one.