Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

So, Bethenny asks an employee to be guardian of her child and that means she has no close friends.

Jason asks an employee of his wife to be guardian of his child and not enough is known about him to say anything about what this means about Jason.

Ok. Right.

Shoegal - You're very keen on definitive statements. X + y = z. If A does x + y = z, then if B does x + y = z...it's the same thing. I don't know anyone's life that is that cut and dry. Yes, I think Bethenny asking an employee to be Bryn's guardian is an indicator of not having close friends. But I feel I've gone out of my way (as have other) to cite other indicators as well. Her life's an open book, after all. A choice she made on her own volition. Yes, Jason opened up his life as well when he signed up for the spin-offs, but hardly to the same extent. Apples and oranges!

• Love 2

Bethenny, herself, that came up with this idea on camera, not Jason. When you trace it back, what we did hear, it started with Bethenny. It is possible that Jason went along with this idea because Bethenny was so "overwrought" after that boat trip from hell and that he knew it was just a panicked reaction/decision and that she would change her mind after she calmed down. After all, we do not know if this employee was legally named her guardian nor if she still even works for Bethenny or is still in Bryn's life at all.

I believe we do see, on camera, Jason right there alongside Bethenny giving glammy the news. It's his child as well, and it's also his decision. Either they are both vilified or neither is vilified, as far as I can see. In the interest of fairness of course.

Shoegal - You're very keen on definitive statements. X + y = z. If A does x + y = z, then if B does x + y = z...it's the same thing. I don't know anyone's life that is that cut and dry. Yes, I think Bethenny asking an employee to be Bryn's guardian is an indicator of not having close friends. But I feel I've gone out of my way (as have other) to cite other indicators as well. Her life's an open book, after all. A choice she made on her own volition. Yes, Jason opened up his life as well when he signed up for the spin-offs, but hardly to the same extent. Apples and oranges!

Except that many of Bethenny's close friends have been featured on her show, in her public life.

Oh boy. Friends or acquaintances, sure. Close friends, no. But we're talking in circles.

You assume they are not close friends, why? Do you assume that same about the friends Jason featured in the show?

Yes, we are talking in circles because evidence to the contrary doesn't seem to penetrate. It bounces off the anti-Bethenny force field.

• Love 5

You assume they are not close friends, why? Do you assume that same about the friends Jason featured in the show?

I've already answered that. That's why I said we're talking in circles. We're repeating arguments/debates almost word for word!

• Love 2
(edited)

I feel that Jason absolutely put enough of his life out there on TV to make judging him just as possible and just as fair as it is to judge Bethenny.  His marriage and his family were an open book, too.  I know all about his parents, his relationship with them, his (lack of) career, his college buddies, and his relationship with his wife. 

We saw him designate an employee as guardian of his child, the exact same thing that Bethenny did.  There is nothing I know (or don't know) about either one of them that makes Bethenny's choice evil while Jason's identical choice is okay. 

Is there some information about Jason that is missing which is required in order to justify feeling that he was just as wrong as Bethenny to make an employee guardian?   If so, I can't imagine what it is.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 3

I feel that Jason absolutely put enough of his life out there on TV to make judging him just as possible and just as fair as it is to judge Bethenny.  His marriage and his family were an open book, too.  I know all about his parents, his relationship with them, his (lack of) career, his college buddies, and his relationship with his wife. 

We saw him designate an employee as guardian of his child, the exact same thing that Bethenny did.  There is nothing I know (or don't know) about either one of them that makes Bethenny's choice evil while Jason's identical choice is okay. 

Is there some information about Jason that is missing which is required in order to justify feeling that he was just as wrong as Bethenny to make an employee guardian?   If so, I can't imagine what it is.

Did I miss the Jason Ever After tv shows? His books? His talk show? His filmed therapy sessions? To equate the two is preposterous. Again, apples and oranges.

• Love 8

I believe we do see, on camera, Jason right there alongside Bethenny giving glammy the news. It's his child as well, and it's also his decision. Either they are both vilified or neither is vilified, as far as I can see. In the interest of fairness of course.

Except that many of Bethenny's close friends have been featured on her show, in her public life.

No, Bethenny asked the nanny while the 2 of them were on a walk with Bryn, Jason was not there.

• Love 1

Everyone take three giant breaths and 2 huge steps away from your keyboard.

I've hidden some posts. I don't know if I'm going to delete them, or if action is going to be taken yet...but, please note this much:

I'm not asking, I'm telling you ALL - cut the crap, and be RESPECTFUL TO EACH OTHER.

• Love 1

As if on cue, the discussion of Bethenny having friends shows up in tonight's episode. Ramona observes that Bethenny doesn't have any close girlfriends, and even observes this as far back as season one.

Second thing I noticed - Bethenny really is turning into Jill. RSVPing no to the weekend, then shows up unexpectedly. Hi!!

• Love 9
(edited)

Did I miss the Jason Ever After tv shows? His books? His talk show? His filmed therapy sessions? To equate the two is preposterous. Again, apples and oranges.

Insult and sarcasm aside,  I am hoping someone else who thinks what Jason did was okay but Bethenny doing the same thing was not okay won't mind giving me a serious answer. Because I still don't understand why what is no good for the goose is okay for the gander in this situation.  

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 1

Insult and sarcasm aside,  I am hoping someone else who thinks what Jason did was okay but Bethenny doing the same thing was not okay won't mind giving me a serious answer. Because I still don't understand why what is no good for the goose is okay for the gander in this situation.

Just for the record, my answer was totally serious. I'm not sure why you thought it wasn't. To compare Jason and Bethenny's reality show lives and their public personas is, as I said, apples and oranges. Or if they're on a scale of one to ten, Bethenny's a ten, and Jason's a three.

• Love 3

I realize the size of their public personas differ.  Bethenny has had a lot more exposure.  But exposure of what exactly? What was shown on Bethenny's talk show or written in her books or said in her therapy sessions that makes her choice to appoint Glammy the guardian a bad thing, while Jason agreeing to it was fine? 

• Love 1

Jason was included because he was part of Bethenny's life.  Jason wasn't rushing to put his life out there to promote his "brand". There was very little shown of Jason's friends because they were not part of Bethenny's world.  I agree the level of personal exposure  is all about Bethenny.  Did we even ever hear on the show what Bob and Carole did for a living?  We heard where Jason went to school and saw some of his friends at the wedding and a birthday party which greatly disappointed Bethenny.  Jason shut down future public discussion of his life by asking there be a mutual gag order on the parties so the child would not have to someday read about her parents.  Bethenny got around that by her farce of a custody case.  Did she ever really believe a judge would grant her primary custody because Jason didn't flush the toilet, left dirty dishes in the sink, walked around in his underwear in HIS home?  Did she ever even consider the consequences of painting her child's very involved father in an unflattering light be it in the editing room or the courtroom?  No she didn't because Bethenny's reality is all that matters.  For some reason Bethenny thought the world would be sympathetic to her allegation that Jason was going to destroy her reality charater.

There was something Bethenny said last night while sitting on her pity pot about working women who choose to be away from their children being different than joint custody.  Bethenny CHOSE to get a divorce from Jason.  He didn't want one, it was her doing.   She had to realize there would be consequences for her desire to shake Jason out of her life.   I put Bethenny in the same boat as Brandi they whine constantly about not having their children available to them  24/7, their exes refusing to allow their children to be filmed and at the same time they enjoy pretty healthy dating lives, and reality TV careers while the exes have their share of custody.  I have not seen the women who are married with children take their children on the trips these women enjoy.  The only exception was the filmed family vacation of Kyle and Mauricio's.  So what I felt like I heard last night is if you have 24/7 access to your children it is okay to make choices to be away from them. 

• Love 4

Bethenny CHOSE to get a divorce from Jason.  He didn't want one, it was her doing.

I don't think this is what is being implied entirely but... I am really uncomfortable with the way this is phrased and the implication that Bethenny or any woman has no right to CHOSE to get a divorce without the hubby's express permission. Seriously, whether he wanted it or not, he doesn't have the right to argue "I never wanted a divorce, therefore I am not at fault". That Jason didn't want a divorce  could be for purely parental reasons, or purely financial reasons but at the end of the day, the way this is worded is faulting a woman for daring to leave a marriage without her man's permission. That's not the world I want to live in. If Bethenny or any woman wants a divorce, she has every right to do so without being shamed for chosing to leave.

• Love 8

I don't think this is what is being implied entirely but... I am really uncomfortable with the way this is phrased and the implication that Bethenny or any woman has no right to CHOSE to get a divorce without the hubby's express permission. Seriously, whether he wanted it or not, he doesn't have the right to argue "I never wanted a divorce, therefore I am not at fault". That Jason didn't want a divorce  could be for purely parental reasons, or purely financial reasons but at the end of the day, the way this is worded is faulting a woman for daring to leave a marriage without her man's permission. That's not the world I want to live in. If Bethenny or any woman wants a divorce, she has every right to do so without being shamed for chosing to leave.

I don't think this is implied at all.  The point being made is that Beth chose to divorce Jason.  When you choose to divorce someone there are consequences such as shared custody, spousal support, etc.  I also don't think Beth is being 'shamed' for choosing to divorce.  She's being criticized for her somewhat delusional view of what happens when you choose to divorce someone.  She seems to think that ok, I'll get a divorce, he'll see Bryn every other weekend, I'll raise my daughter the way I want to, he'll get what I interpret the prenup to be and Bryn and I will live happily ever after. 

Marriage is a very serious contract with many legal consequences especially when there are children and money involved.  I don't think Beth fully gets that.  Beth has become used to being in the driver's seat.  She's not on this.  The judge is. 

• Love 14

It was not "implied" at all IMO. Zoeysmom was saying that Bethenny was the one that wanted the divorce, not Jason and nothing more than that.  JMO

• Love 2

In no way did I mean to imply she needed permission from Jason to divorce Jason.  She made the choice as opposed to having someone die or her spouse discard her.  Most divorces are mutual-the parties agree the no longer are interested staying in the marriage.  Jason did not want a divorce Bethenny did.  She CHOSE to divorce Byrn's father.  She has every right to do so and did.  I always feel like Bethenny thought she had this great escape plan (a pre-nup) in the event she didn't want to stick around and  didn't stop to think that Jason might not be on board.  According to Bethenny her birth father split and moved across the country, offered no financial support so maybe she thought the same would happen with Jason. 

An example of someone not wanting a divorce and saying she didn't want one and it wasn't her fault  is Brandi.  Eddie CHOSE to divorce Brandi and move on to LeAnn.  Tamra Barney's husband did not want a divorce and she CHOSE to divorce Simon and chase after Eddie.  Now she has zero visitation with her oldest daughter who was deeply affected by the divorce.  Tamra being the loving mother she is simply told her kid to suck it up.

My post is about choices and I support anyone who wants to divorce and I am glad most states don't require grounds for divorce.  My point is once one makes the choice it is a decision with far reaching implications.  Perhaps because of Bethenny's background she thought the very formal, premeditated way of communicating her desire to exercise the divorce option- a letter stating I want a divorce was somehow very civilized and would result in no resistance.  it is a choice she has live with throughout the life of her daughter.

• Love 4

My post is about choices and I support anyone who wants to divorce and I am glad most states don't require grounds for divorce.  My point is once one makes the choice it is a decision with far reaching implications.  Perhaps because of Bethenny's background she thought the very formal, premeditated way of communicating her desire to exercise the divorce option- a letter stating I want a divorce was somehow very civilized and would result in no resistance.  it is a choice she has live with throughout the life of her daughter.

Bethenny informed Jason she wanted a divorce via a letter because that was what they had agreed to do in their prenup in the event one of them ever wanted out.  So it's not like she was using a letter as some kind of strategic tactic to beat down Jason.  He agreed to the same provision. Although I suspect Bethenny had an evil motive for agreeing to use a letter, while Jason agreeing to the term was  purely innocent. Because, well.  Bethenny. 

As if on cue, the discussion of Bethenny having friends shows up in tonight's episode. Ramona observes that Bethenny doesn't have any close girlfriends, and even observes this as far back as season one.

Bethenny's response in her blog:

"I have a very small group of best friendsthat I've had for 25 years. I keep it tight and right, and with this nastiness and catty conversation, now we know why. I'm a quality versus quantity person. If you think I'm going to fill a room or my life with girls that look like they're all my BFFs but wait for them to start gossiping behind my back, you got the wrong one. Ya gotta love Ramona."

"I have a very small group of best friendsthat I've had for 25 years. I keep it tight and right, and with this nastiness and catty conversation, now we know why. I'm a quality versus quantity person. If you think I'm going to fill a room or my life with girls that look like they're all my BFFs but wait for them to start gossiping behind my back, you got the wrong one. Ya gotta love Ramona."

She freaking loves being the center of their conversation. She was trying hard to draw attention to herself when the others were talking to Ramona's date.

She says on Twitter that she was guarded because the other women spent their dinner together gossiping about her.

How the hell did she know that when she showed up at Dorinda.

So are we have to believe that production told her what the ladies talked about the night before? Way to make an already edgy Beth at ease.

• Love 4

I read that, too. It doesn't really counter anything a lot of us have theorized about the lack of close friends in Bethenny's life. She has friends from way back, and they probably don't live in NY. But in spite of Bethenny's very defensive post, I think Ramona was right - it's hard for her to make friends and bond with women, and because of that, she has few if any close friends. Again, that doesn't mean she doesn't have friends/acquaintances (like Andy Cohen), but Ramona was talking about something else. That's got to be hard to hear, so she reacts by saying "Gotta love Ramona."

• Love 2

I read that, too. It doesn't really counter anything a lot of us have theorized about the lack of close friends in Bethenny's life. She has friends from way back, and they probably don't live in NY. But in spite of Bethenny's very defensive post, I think Ramona was right - it's hard for her to make friends and bond with women, and because of that, she has few if any close friends. Again, that doesn't mean she doesn't have friends/acquaintances (like Andy Cohen), but Ramona was talking about something else. That's got to be hard to hear, so she reacts by saying "Gotta love Ramona."

I believe Bethenny probably knows more about her own friend situation than Ramona. Best friends for 25 years qualifies as "close" in my book.

• Love 2

She says on Twitter that she was guarded because the other women spent their dinner together gossiping about her.

How the hell did she know that when she showed up at Dorinda.

So are we have to believe that production told her what the ladies talked about the night before? Way to make an already edgy Beth at ease.

Hell yes I believe production told her.  Absolutely.  Because the last thing production wants is Beth at ease.

Anyone familiar with the pieces Alex McCord used to do (where she talked a lot about production's shenanigans) knows instigating things between cast members is done all the time.  

• Love 1

I believe Bethenny probably knows more about her own friend situation than Ramona. Best friends for 25 years qualifies as "close" in my book.

Right or wrong, I think Ramona was coming from a place of analyzing someone from the outside, much like we do here, and Bethenny was coming from a place of defensiveness. And to me, friends for 25 years says friends from school.

• Love 2

And as I read Bethy's comment, I shiver in the shade she's tossing sideways at Moaner, whose party a few eps back featured something like her 35 closest "friends" (including Le Moan's go-to injector Sharon Geise who pops up at least once every season). Beth did an already-come-and-gone turn at that shindig, didn't she?

• Love 2

Right or wrong, I think Ramona was coming from a place of analyzing someone from the outside, much like we do here, and Bethenny was coming from a place of defensiveness. And to me, friends for 25 years says friends from school.

I think Ramona was coming from a place of speculation without evidence, and Bethenny was setting her straight. And friends for 25 years means lifelong friends to me.

• Love 2

I think Ramona was coming from a place of speculation without evidence, and Bethenny was setting her straight. And friends for 25 years means lifelong friends to me.

Ramona was using the same so-called evidence that we've been citing here, and probably more, as she knows her personally.

And as I read Bethy's comment, I shiver in the shade she's tossing sideways at Moaner, whose party a few eps back featured something like her 35 closest "friends" (including Le Moan's go-to injector Sharon Geise who pops up at least once every season). Beth did an already-come-and-gone turn at that shindig, didn't she?

I thought the dig re: Ramona's party was obvious, too. She shaded everyone there, and she didn't even know them.

• Love 4

Ramona was using the same so-called evidence that we've been citing here, and probably more, as she knows her personally.

I take Bethenny's word and the actual evidence (lifelong friends of Bethenny who appeared on camera) over Ramona and any other "so-called evidence". YMMV.

• Love 1

I take Bethenny's word and the actual evidence (lifelong friends of Bethenny who appeared on camera) over Ramona and any other "so-called evidence". YMMV.

Using this reasoning, Sonja is a much sought-after branding and marketing expert, entrepreneur, and international hostess.

• Love 3

Using this reasoning, Sonja is a much sought-after branding and marketing expert, entrepreneur, and international hostess.

Except that Bethenny's friends actually exist and have actually shown up on camera.

• Love 2
Right or wrong, I think Ramona was coming from a place of analyzing someone from the outside, much like we do here, and Bethenny was coming from a place of defensiveness.

If Ramona's opinion about Bethenny's friend situation is valid because she has the same evidence people here do (from the show)  and because she knows Bethenny personally, then Bethenny's opinion of Ramona's friend situation is equally valid since it, too, is based on evidence from the show and on knowing Ramona personally.  It shouldn't be dismissed as merely "defensive" in my opinion.  If that were the case, then Ramona's opinion should be dismissed as "attackive."  

I don't think one's supposed motive is necessarily a reason to discount the validity of what the person is saying. 

(edited)

Word of Housewife + onscreen presence = validity.

Intern =/= branding, marketing, international hostess

Friend = friend

If we were shown on screen Sonja doing some international hostessing, maybe I could see your point. When the Nigerian football team shows up, call me.

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 2

Ramona mentioned Bethenny not having any close girlfriends, to explain Bethenny's actions with Heather. I don't have any close long term girlfriends either. I've lived in 22 houses. Ten of those were from grades one through 12. I was always the new girl/woman. I've been in my present house seven years - a record! I have good friends at the present, but they know me and can read when not to get too close or too personal. I can feel smothered with all that well wishing. So I can relate to Bethenny, to a point. I would never, however, become so uncomfortable I would cry or yell. The situation wouldn't escalate to that because either I would leave or take control of the conversation calmly and firmly. Just because someone doesn't have lifelong friends, doesn't mean she's not friend worthy.

• Love 6

Word of Housewife + onscreen presence = validity.

Let me see if I understand this math thing .... 

Beth's blog saying she has friends + her friends presence onscreen in previous seasons = Bethenny has friends?

Yeah, I would have to agree. Unless this equation for some reason only applies to Ramona and not to Bethenny.  

(edited)

Intern =/= branding, marketing, international hostess

Friend = friend

If we were shown on screen Sonja doing some international hostessing, maybe I could see your point.

With the exception of her friend from childhood who was in her wedding, I've never seen scenes with Bethenny and her friends, but if there were a few more over the years, I'll take your word for it. But Ramona was talking about close girlfriends, as have I. I've never said I don't think Bethenny has friends/acquaintances. The word "close" is key to at least my point. If Bethenny considers these onscreen friends as close friends, and you think her claim is backed up by their appearance in the background of a few scenes, then by the same token, Sonja's assertion that her interns are getting college credit for their work with her, as shown on TV, is also correct.

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 3
(edited)

With the exception of her friend from childhood who was in her wedding, I've never seen scenes with Bethenny and her friends, but if there were a few more over the years, I'll take your word for it. But Ramona was talking about close girlfriends, as have I. If Bethenny considers them close friends, and you think her claim is backed up by their appearance in the background of a few scenes, then by the same token, Sonja's assertion that her interns are getting college credit for their work with her, as shown on TV, is also correct.

I don't know that the interns *aren't*getting college credit, and I've certainly never challenged Sonja on the point. I don't see how having interns makes Sonja an international branding/marketing expert.

Regarding Bethenny, I don't expect that Ramona actually knows how close Bethenny and her friends are, and isn't Bethenny the one who gets to decide that anyway?i don't believe Ramona is close to Bethenny, have they spoken in years other than Bethenny's talk show? Ramona gets to decide if Bethenny is close to her friends? Not buying it. I've seen several scenes of Bethenny with friends that she describes as close and people she's know for years, some since her teenage years. It's not just Terri, as I and others have mentioned, repeatedly, there have been others.

This reminds me of Scary Island Kelly trying to convince Bethenny she was a cook and not a chef, even after Bethenny points out she did in fact go to culinary school...

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 2

I don't know that the interns *aren't*getting college credit, and I've certainly never challenged Sonja on the point. I don't see how having interns makes Sonja an international branding/marketing expert.

Her interns make her an international branding expert because she says they do, and if we're taking Housewives for their word, and it's backed up by their appearance with said Housewife, then that's that.

• Love 1

Her interns make her an international branding expert because she says they do, and if we're taking Housewives for their word, and it's backed up by their appearance with said Housewife, then that's that.

When has Sonja claimed *her interns* make her an international branding expert?

• Love 1

If Bethenny considers these onscreen friends as close friends, and you think her claim is backed up by their appearance in the background of a few scenes, then by the same token, Sonja's assertion that her interns are getting college credit for their work with her, as shown on TV, is also correct

Wait....

If Bethenny considers people close friends, that's essentially Bethenny's opinion, regardless of whether they appear on screen or not. However, Sonja stating her interns get college credit is an *easily provable fact* - all it takes is one intern willing to show their college transcripts.

That's all it takes to prove Sonja's claim - college credit can be proven *if she really feels it necessary*  - what can Bethenny do to prove she's close friends with someone... without being accused of lying, faking it, etc?

• Love 4