Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Wars - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yay. No more Bria and limericks. They deserved the elimination.

I like Team Ghould's Tator structure. I think they were trying to make him infamous. 

On 10/26/2017 at 9:02 AM, JessDVD said:

Guest judge was great. I wish FN would pay more attention to who they get for guest judges and what sort of judging they actually bring to the table, because some are real misses and some are really quite good and I'm pretty sure it's not all just my subjective opinion. :)

Which guest judges were simply annoying to you? All of the past ones?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Simon47 said:

Which guest judges were simply annoying to you? All of the past ones?

Well - when I said that I was thinking about Food Network in general and not necessarily just this show, but some things that went into that opinion of mine - guest judges on this show that don't seem to have much to say other than "Wow, that was scary". I know they're not there to explain the scientific process behind why that fondant looks the way it does, but it's nice to have a judge who can make some sort of constructive criticism or positive feedback other than "I just got chills". I've seen this in HW and also from Cake Wars Christmas (where they bring in more "generic" judges, not ones who work for the source material), judges that can't seem to think of anything productive to say. (I'm not saying I'd be any better, just that if they're going to get a guest judge, it would be nice if said guest judge had some sort of ability to evaluate. Although from watching cake shows on FN for the last 8 or 9 years and re-reading other's and my posts in the Cake Wars threads, I think many here could make some suitable comments)

In Cake Wars (the sister to this one) and the old Challenge, I have been really annoyed by the judges who are there from this or that franchise being featured as the competition material, who harp on the competitors who don't make things EXACTLY 100% IDENTICAL to the source material. I specifically remember the lady from the Dr. Seuss foundation or whatever, who complained that someone's flowers weren't "Seussian" enough (that was from Challenge), and from my post in the Cake Wars Christmas thread, she was similarly harp-ish on the Seuss one from that show too. There have been others who seem to get better that they *are* there for their expertise in the source material, but the goal is to not make exact replicas either and judge accordingly.

• Love 1

I think the right team won, although I liked both of the teams in the finale (as long as it was any team but Team Tator or the team with the horrible sugar artist who spoke in limericks and got mad at the pumpkin guy for cutting his hand).   I thought the winning piece was so cool and so different.  I've never seen anything like it on this show.   The winning sugar artist is amazing (sorry, I have not paid enough attention to try to learn everyone's names).   However, overall, a very lackluster season.

Edited by penbrat
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, penbrat said:

However, overall, a very lackluster season.

Two teams dominated the whole competition.  The other teams were nowhere near the same caliber, so you knew it was going to be one of them in the end.  Not very much suspense, overall.

That being said, it was a great finale, but I preferred Morbid Masterminds.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 3

Both final entries were terrific, IMO.  Why did it take so long for that talent to emerge?  Were they given so much more time for the final?

The judge's were inconsistent with the taste element though.  I thought the brief was to make a treat with something unexpected inside.  Orange liquor is not unexpected.  Soy sauce is, so why were the judges all "The soy sauce was a little to odd."?

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

Both final entries were terrific, IMO.  Why did it take so long for that talent to emerge?  Were they given so much more time for the final?

The judge's were inconsistent with the taste element though.  I thought the brief was to make a treat with something unexpected inside.  Orange liquor is not unexpected.  Soy sauce is, so why were the judges all "The soy sauce was a little to add."?

Thank you! I kept waiting for this shocking twist and just didn’t get it with the fig jam team.

• Love 1

I thought I'd be happy with either team winning but, in the end, I wasn't.  MM's Small Scare was MUCH better than Ghoul'd's IMO and I liked their final tableau better too.  Christoffe does amazing work and his water and boats were great but the village was so small I couldn't even see it in the long shots.  The octopus-monster thing was also good but not really outstanding - again IMO.  The only feature I didn't like in MM's scene was the yellow blob that was supposed to be a firefly nest or something.  If they hadn't said what it was, I would have had no idea what it was supposed to be.  

Having said that, I do think that both teams deserved to be in the finale and both did the best work since Richard Ruskell, Vinny Garcia (RIP) and the guy in the hat whose name I can't recall.  The best displays ever on Halloween Wars though came from the early show with Karen Portaleo vs. Ray Villafane.  

• Love 2

Both displays were awesome and so creative. I am fine with both teams but I might have given a tiny edge to MM. Team Ghouled 's display seemed to depend mainly on Christoffe's gorgeous sugar work. Too bad one team had to lose.

Yes, the earliest seasons of HW were beyond phenomenal but this is still such an enjoyable show and did not disappoint. Now I am ready for the Holiday version (Christmas Cake Wars or whatever they call it now)! 

• Love 2

This finale was like a Steve Harvey game show. Everybody was falling over and you could see in your mind the audience was laughing out loud. 

FN reviewers/authors give a lot of insight into their reviews so the reader can understand the facts about what they like and what they don't like about FN. It's Halloween, so the reviews are more scary!

Was Madison the name of the Team Ghouled lady? I liked her. She was a good Tator, not telling stories all the time.

On 10/3/2017 at 0:09 PM, Drogo said:

It's the spine-tingling finale of Halloween Wars! 

The finale wasn't really spine-tingling to me. Neither were Debbie and Madison.

4 hours ago, mlp said:

The only feature I didn't like in MM's scene was the yellow blob that was supposed to be a firefly nest or something. 

I thought it was their take on an angler fish type monster.

Though they were both very good, I thought MM's finale entry was the clear winner (obviously not, LOL).  I thought the story was well presented and of course the work was terrific; their monster had more detail and great coloring.  Though the water effects and the creature were good on Ghoul'd's, it seemed like everything else was a bit too small and looked squished.

It was nice to have two qualified teams in the finale.  I recorded a "best of" show and it does seem like the quality of the work has declined.  That seems to happen on these types of shows though.

• Love 5

Were those two the only teams to win anything the entire series?

I preferred Ghoul’d so was happy with the win.  I loved that creature.

In the small scare I didn’t understand the execution of MM’s story even with the lead guy explaining it.

Maybe it is just me, but this was one of my favorite seasons.  At first, I wasnt overly impressed with Morbid Masterminds,  but became more impressed as the show went on.  Loved Team Ghou'ld and am glad they won.  (Real minority, but I didn't mind Tator).  I just really liked this season.

Tater's group won the main event on the 2nd round, I think. It was some kind of legend about a woman and a car and they used corn silk in it.

I think MM's execution was better than Ghoul'd in many cases but I do feel like their stories are weaker. I never understood the idea behind the scarecrow no matter how many times he explained it, and I didn't really get the idea behind the devil last week. I think they were trying to think outside the box, but they were too far outside for it to still jive with the theme.

I'd have preferred a Morbid Masterminds win but both pieces were great and it's just nice to see people who are generally normal and non-conniving. I will personally bet all the change in the bottom of my purse that the bit with Christoffe on Ghoul'd "storming off" was totally staged for teh drama.

Okay at least there was talent this time around. It's much better than last year when we had the whole Underbaker's drama thing going on. At least THIS time the last two standing were good artists!

• Love 1

Thanks for the link, Spunkygal.  I always look forward to Halloween Wars and all the other themed shows.  I'm glad they're bringing back John Henson to host the baking show.  I like him.  I'm even happier to see no sign of Nancy Fuller on any of the shows.  

• Love 1

Six teams, each consisting of a pumpkin carver, a cake artist and a sugar master, dive into the first battle of the season. They have to create mind-blowing and yummy Halloween themed displays that depict a monstrous creature so scary that it’s the Boogeyman’s greatest nightmare. Actor a Sean Gunn of the Guardians of the Galaxy joins the judging panel.

Premieres next Sunday! I’ve seen a lot of familiar faces on the trailer. Hope we see some good displays. The last couple of seasons have been hit or miss for me but I still love it. 

24 minutes ago, mlp said:

This is one of my favorite shows.  I look forward to it every year.  Aren't there usually more than 6 teams?  

Actually, no. According to FN’s website, there were five teams until season 6 when they increased it to six teams. Maybe you’re thinking there is more than six teams because Halloween Baking Championship has more than six contestants???

• Love 2

There is a "Road to Halloween Wars" special on now before the episode and after the episode there is something called "Even More Halloween Wars" which my DVR description says is the history of Halloween Wars.

• Love 1

I thought the team with the pumpkin head that didn’t stay on the body would go home. Anyone could tell that it was not the right structure for a pumpkin that size. The story was “disjointed.” The team that was eliminated had some good talent. I don’t think that the young (22?) cake artist has the stamina for a competition but maybe he’ll return in a future season. In the Road to HW special, I liked the guy who retired from Knotts Berry Farm. So clever to carve Jonathan’s face on the other side of the pumpkin and it looked like Jonathan. His craft as a caricaturist served him well. Hope he auditions again. All in all, this was pretty good for episode 1. Can’t wait to see how long before Jewel bullies her teammates. Welcome back, show!! 

• Love 3

Jewel hasn't gotten better at her sugar work or her tasting treats, I see.

I'm sure, if you asked her, her problems were someone else's fault.  I can't imagine why they brought her back to the show.  She was easily the most obnoxious person ever on Halloween Wars.  Others had their moments when they were stressed out but she was consistently unpleasant.  I thought back then that she should have been disqualified when she deliberately removed and destroyed a part of the display that a teammate had made and was working on.  They showed that bit during the "history" show and it made me mad all over again.

I always wonder if the cake artist makes the treats during the 5 hours while they're working on the displays or if they're really made ahead of time.  It doesn't seem like they'd have time for those elaborate creations when they're doing so much else.  They do occasionally show shots of them working on the treats but it seems to me that those are always close ups which could be filmed any time and edited in.  I could be totally wrong of course.

Anyway, I love this show and I'm glad it's back.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, mlp said:

I'm sure, if you asked her, her problems were someone else's fault.  I can't imagine why they brought her back to the show.  She was easily the most obnoxious person ever on Halloween Wars.  Others had their moments when they were stressed out but she was consistently unpleasant.  I thought back then that she should have been disqualified when she deliberately removed and destroyed a part of the display that a teammate had made and was working on.  They showed that bit during the "history" show and it made me mad all over again.

Random, but I wonder if she ever thought to think ahead that she wasn't destroying a competitor's work, but her own teammates and so if he got dinged for that and they got eliminated that she would have been eliminated too. It doesn't seem as though she thought that specific temper tantrum through.

• Love 2

During the pre-show when they were showing Kimberly's work I thought - this woman has not improved at all - you won't be coming back, and then she did.  I feel sorry for her team.   Wasn't impressed with Ernest either, so I'm not surprised his team went home first.

So far this seems to be the least talented bunch they've ever had.  I hope they improve - a lot.

• Love 3

Five remaining teams go into battle to create amazing and tasty Halloween-themed displays that depict an epic face-off between clowns and zombies. The special guest judge is John Kassir, the actor behind the unforgettable voice of the Crypt Keeper on the TV series Tales From The Crypt. Airs October 7.

23 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I thought the team with the pumpkin head that didn’t stay on the body would go home. Anyone could tell that it was not the right structure for a pumpkin that size. The story was “disjointed.” The team that was eliminated had some good talent. I don’t think that the young (22?) cake artist has the stamina for a competition but maybe he’ll return in a future season. In the Road to HW special, I liked the guy who retired from Knotts Berry Farm. So clever to carve Jonathan’s face on the other side of the pumpkin and it looked like Jonathan. His craft as a caricaturist served him well. Hope he auditions again. All in all, this was pretty good for episode 1. Can’t wait to see how long before Jewel bullies her teammates. Welcome back, show!! 

The judges loved their tasting element, that's what saved them.

• Love 1

The team that won was not the best to me. In fact, they were not second or third either.

I get a feeling that the taste scores comes down to Shimlin's tastebuds. The other judges never comment too much on flavor.

• Love 2

I keep seeing a commercial for this show that has Jonathan and a young fellow with curly hair looking into a box.  I don't know how the kid fits into Halloween Wars but I recognized him immediately.  I can't remember his name or where I know him from though and it's driving me nuts.  Anyone???

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mlp said:

I keep seeing a commercial for this show that has Jonathan and a young fellow with curly hair looking into a box.  I don't know how the kid fits into Halloween Wars but I recognized him immediately.  I can't remember his name or where I know him from though and it's driving me nuts.  Anyone???

It is Gaten Matarazzo who plays Dustin on Stranger Things.

• Love 1

I feel like the English lady has seen this show before and is using all of her tricks in Jewel-wrangling.  She seems rather conciliatory to Jewel’s moods.

The kid from North Carolina is just not ready for a stressful show like this if he is crying during the first challenge.

The Irish lady is super sarcastic which can get grating very quickly.

• Love 3

It is Gaten Matarazzo who plays Dustin on Stranger Things.

Thanks.................but now I'm even more puzzled.  I've never heard of him or that show but I'm sure I know that kid from somewhere.  I'm baffled.

22 minutes ago, mlp said:

Thanks.................but now I'm even more puzzled.  I've never heard of him or that show but I'm sure I know that kid from somewhere.  I'm baffled.

You might want to go to IMDb.com and enter his name which will then show his various roles. I’ve done that many times when I can’t place a familiar actor.....it is maddening when you can’t remember where you’ve seen that person!

• Love 2

He does a million Verizon ads too.

47 minutes ago, mlp said:

You might want to go to IMDb.com and enter his name 

Thanks, Spunkygal.  I should have thought of that.  I did that and also looked at him on Google Images and he doesn't look familiar there at all.  I must have him confused with someone else.  

On 9/30/2018 at 11:24 PM, Spunkygal said:

I thought the team with the pumpkin head that didn’t stay on the body would go home.

They should have gone home.   For the team that did, I wanted to see more of the pumpkin carver woman.  Shinmin seemed to really like their tasting element too.

The woman who had been on twice before, why is she invited back?  She didn't stand out, there must be slim pickings out there. 

I really liked the Zesty Zombies (with the mouse looking a like a rat in shadow).  I thought it was fun.  I had a feeling Candied Cadavers would get the win, they did well too, I just liked the ZZ diorama better.

The GotG guest judge was decent, he gave some creative feedback.

• Love 1

Elizabeth Rowe has also been on Food Network before, in one of the cake shows.  I think it might have been Dallas Cakes.  Super talented, but it all comes down to how well they can do in a short amount of time.  The teams who win on these shows tend to be the ones who aren't so ambitious that they can't get everything done well in time.

• Love 2

I stand by the principle on any cooking show, that if you KNOW that Scott Conant hates raw red onions, then you are an idiot if you come on Chopped and make a tossed salad with red onions for him. But when Shinmin whines that every single dessert is too sweet, I have to question why, exactly, she's there to judge a show that has as one of its primary focuses, making a sweet treat on the display. Put me on the judging panel, I promise I will only complain if it's actually gross or has a weird texture or something. Sweet is great. I'll even set aside my hatred of coconut and almond.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, JessDVD said:

I stand by the principle on any cooking show, that if you KNOW that Scott Conant hates raw red onions, then you are an idiot if you come on Chopped and make a tossed salad with red onions for him. But when Shinmin whines that every single dessert is too sweet, I have to question why, exactly, she's there to judge a show that has as one of its primary focuses, making a sweet treat on the display. Put me on the judging panel, I promise I will only complain if it's actually gross or has a weird texture or something. Sweet is great. I'll even set aside my hatred of coconut and almond.

I too don't like really sweet sweets, but this is why I made the comment upthread that Shimlin seems to be the only one judging for taste, and I wish they had at least one other professional baker as a judge to mix that up a bit. Yes, I do realize that the other judges can give points for tastes, but they seem to not care and focus on how the product looks.

• Love 2

The first episode was okay - nothing spectacular. But why did they bring Jewel back. I HATED her season before because they got rid of better teams to sell contrived drama. I'm still super pissed about it. Her team leader is pretty good though.

No real standouts for me this time. I was hoping for a Bling Bats (but they're never Bling Bats). :(

• Love 3

I hope this happened on this show and I'm not thinking about one of the other Halloween shows I've seen lately, but was this show the one that had a rat that had a layer of white chocolate?  And the judge, I’m assuming it was Shinmin unless my faulty memory has completely failed me, said that it should not have had the layer of white chocolate?

What I didn’t get was WHY the layer was bad.  I wish that was made more clear to me, someone who likes white chocolate and also knows nothing about baking.

The right team won (still can’t remember team names—was it Zesty Zombies?) Both their small scare of the severed ears with earrings in the coffin and their clown v. zombie scene were really good. Boy, 45 minutes isn’t much time for that small scare and I would have liked to see the Frakenpuppy team have a few more minutes to finish. I’m glad Elizabeth’s amazing clown saved her team (Grave Expectations?) She is so talented. I just knew that Jewel would go apeshit when Elizabeth accidentally broke her unicycle but we didn’t see it if she did. As in past seasons, I wonder how much the extra person (or persons for small scare winners) actually help. I’ll get a glimpse of one of them once in a while. Maybe they’re doing the tedious rolling out fondant task. Loved the guest judge...he was fun...and loved Jonathan with the frankenhead on briefly. 

• Love 3