Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Rebirth

REBUILDING HOMES AND RECRUITING NEW FAMILY — After months of being holed up inside his compound, Klaus enlists the help of Elijah and Marcel in plotting his revenge against the Guerrera werewolves, and vows to take down anyone who poses a threat to baby Hope’s existence. Elijah watches helplessly as Hayley spirals downward while mourning the loss of her daughter and struggling to adapt to her new hybrid status. Exiled by the Guerrera werewolves, who now control the French Quarter, Marcel is still reeling over the destruction of his vampire family, and attempts to rebuild his home with the help of Josh. Elsewhere, Cami, who is attempting to regain some normalcy in her life, seeks comfort in a surprising place. Last, Davina continues her plan to use Mikael against Klaus, but gets sidetracked when she meets the mysterious, yet charming Kaleb, who holds a few secrets of his own.

Ah. This is the show I signed up for! I love the group working together to take out the completely useless Guerrera whatever. I was hoping Hayley would end that greasy-haired loser (whose name I refuse to learn), but I'll take what I can get. She took out Francesca! It even makes me begin to like Cami (not really, but almost).

I've tried to stay spoiler free on this show up to the premier, so the appearance of Finn and Kol makes me very happy!

Hopefully this is a sign of a much improved show and a great season to come.

• Love 2

Loved the opening with Rebeckah. Elijah is a BAMF as always and I got a kick out of Klaus going all psycho painting in his enemies blood.

I really wish the show would focus more on the family aspects of The Originals over their love lives since o think the drama between the siblings is more interesting.

I also think they still have a bit too many enemies in the show. I'd prefer if they focused on Elijah/Hayley/Klaus vs Kol/Ester/Finn with Davina/Marcel/Cami being the wild cards.

• Love 1

Rebeckha! Was so happy to see her in the opening. I miss the 3 siblings together. 

Great premiere, liked everyone coming together. I liked Hayley & Klaus at the end bonding, they're more interesting to me than her and Elijah. 

Klaus=still melodramatic. Elijah=still elegant perfection. Cami=still useless and annoying.

I liked the shout out to the fact that one of the vampires' main advantages is their ability to rapidly swell their ranks.

I will never tired of watching Elijah daintily wiping the blood from his hands. Say what you will, but this show really does bring the quality violence.

Well I'll chime in as disappointed. I was underwhelmed. I thought it was too sad and mopey to really enjoy any of the BAMF.

And I don't like Elijah's stubble.boo!

Hayley had a wierd vibe about her and her chemisty with Elijah was off.

Plus collum is Francesca is gone! yay! Her voice grated on my nerves.

I like Marcel and Josh.

Glad Kol is also back, but why would he work with his mother? I wish he wasn't in someone else's body....really kind of dimishes my love of Kol.

I hope the tone improves, b/c I just didn't like it.

• Love 2

Somehow, the more facial hair Daniel Gillies has, the younger he looks. Elijah looked like a baby with that budding beard.

And damn it, Hayley! You had a chance to kill Oliver, or at least force him to wash that stringy mop on his head!

I moved over to The Originals for my weekly fall and spring vampire fix because I find this squad way more enjoyable than those over at TVD.  There's some fun aspects to this show and I never really feel the need to go off to do laundry while it's on.  However, the premiere left me feeling like the season is going to be very recycled.  Yeah, there were some new things in here - there's some baby grieving going on, Marcel and Klaus are friends again, Haley is a hybrid.  The rest is just feeling "been there, done that, have too many t-shirts to show for it".  I suppose the battle of the family is new for The Originals but coming over from TVD, it's old news.  The fighting between the witches, werewolves and vamps was done last season.  Klaus seeking revenge and power has been his play since he was first introduced.  Elijah seeking his brother's redemption is continues to be his defining motive.  I still find myself enjoying these characters, as silly as it can be sometimes.  I'm just not quite sure they can revamp the used plot in a way that makes it feel new and exciting.  

On another note, at least Rebekah finally got the baby she always wanted.  I spent entirely too long wondering whether or not she started the process of collecting the proper paperwork for the baby or if she's just going to compel people when they ask for it.  Birth certificate, social security card, immunization records, etc.  Would be poor parenting to teach a kid to compel their way to getting anything they want.  

Dangit, I missed the first 10 minutes or so.  What happened to Klaus and Hayley's baby?

She's with Rebekah.  They just had Rebekah telling the baby a fairy tale about her parents.  

Edited by bluebonnet

It was weird seeing Haley losing it over killing Ms Guerrera. I mean, come on! Haley, you were chomping at the bit to have that werewolf killed the entire episode, and now that she's dead you somehow care? Also, how is the fact that you've killed 8 werewolves that were trying to kill you make you a monster? If anything it's clear self defense.

Now, I wonder what the whole point of making such a big deal out of having these rouge werewolves create moonlight rings the last episode of last season was if the writers were just going to kill them all off anyway the next episode.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ha, I love that Klaus's first scene was him having another temper tantrum and being a total drama queen. Oh, Klaus, how I have not missed your childish fits.

I know I'm supposed to be impressed with the wolves' athleticism but I was cracking up at their parkour entrance into the courtyard.

As much as I don't like Francesca, I loved that her henchman were all dressed in suits. I felt like Elijah would approve. I loved when he bowled one of the heads into her house and then politely wiped the blood from his fingers with a handkerchief.

Hayley is a dumbass for not killing Oliver when she had the chance, especially considering that she also killed nine other werewolves the same night. I don't understand her guilt over killing other wolves. If they are ruthless assholes who are actively trying to kill you, then it doesn't matter if they are werewolves, vampires, witches, or humans.

Klaus literally painting with the blood of his enemies was both hilarious and psychotic. I wish that I could have felt something positive about Klaus admitting how much of the situation was his fault and acknowledging that he should have listened to Elijah, but it came off as just another one of Klaus's pity parties.

I would be so much more excited about the return of Kol if he were actually in Kol's body, damn it. I'm surprised that Esther brought him back. Finn  I can believe because he was always such a mama's boy, but Kol is a bit of a wild card. I really dislike the Esther actress. Her voice and acting are very flat and blah for me.

I was glad that Cammi broke things off with Marcel because I was hoping that would mean less Cammi on my screen, but no. As soon as she said that her advisor died, I KNEW it was not a coincidence. Come on, Cammi. You live in a city full of werewolves and vampires and some of them are following you around but you think it's no big deal that your new advisor just dropped dead? Think, girl! That doesn't seem the least bit suspicious?

Hee, I loved seeing Mikael forced to obey Davina. I hope he doesn't rip her head off once she takes off the leash.

While I'm glad that the Guerreras are gone, it seems kind of pointless that they spent so much time setting them up as the bad guys last season only to have them all killed in a Godfather-esque slaughter. I guess now that Esther and Mikael are the big bads, they didn't need the Guerreras. I can only imagine Esther and Mikael running into each other when they try to attack Elijah and Klaus simultaneously. "I'm here to kill these two." "No, I'm here to kill them!" "I've been planning this for months!" "So have I!"

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Klaus happily painting using the blood of his enemies made me smile. Too bad he didn't paint another awful pwetty widdle pony picture like he did on TVD for us to enjoy. lol

Ya'll know I love, LOVE, Sebastian Roche and Mikael, seeing Mikael kept on a virtual leash by little Davina gave me the giggles. As much as I hated her in season one I really like her now, everything she's gone through to get where she is now.

For a split second Hayley seeming off actually made me think that it was done on purpose, what with the character no longer "just" a werewolf but now a hybrid, having to deal with that plus the loss of her infant and having to still deal with Klaus. And then I thought nah, it's just PT being awful as usual.

I enjoyed the premiere, it got rid of the annoying Guerreras and I hope by doing that the main characters will realize it's not just vampires vs wolves anymore. I like how Marcel is always on, always thinking. The less said about Cami the better. And I so knew that Esther had brought Finn back with her back at last season's finale. Only one child of hers that we've seen follows her around like that. I am enjoying how these characters have returned in the form of others. However...

Come on, show, you really couldn't work up some fantasy mojo to bring NB back as Kol?! Have us, the audience, see Kol in his true form while everyone else sees him as whoever the new actor is? Yeah, I'm shallow, so what. lol

• Love 1

I watch Teen Wolf so I'm predisposed to give new Kol a chance but that's not going to stop me from hoping NB comes back eventually. I know Esther's actress is probably trying for a old soul/young body vibe but I find delivery too flat and lifeless. 

In small doses I'm okay with Cami so in this episode she didn't bug, I wish they'd drop the Klaus romance though or at least stop being so ham-fisted about it. If all we see of Rebekah is happy domestic moments with Hope I'm cool with that but it'll be weird if she's not dragged into the family reunion in some way. Separately I don't like Klaus or Hayley much but I do find something oddly sweet about how the show writes their forced co-existence.

I know there's a lot going on but I liked the set-up of the Guerreras last season it seems a waste to dispose of them (or more accurately the stones) so quickly.

Edited by patchwork

Come on, show, you really couldn't work up some fantasy mojo to bring NB back as Kol?! Have us, the audience, see Kol in his true form while everyone else sees him as whoever the new actor is? Yeah, I'm shallow, so what. lol

DEVASTATED that another actor is playing my dear Kol!  I know Nathaniel was supposed to get his own show (a Supernatural spin-off?), but it wasn't picked up.  Perhaps they found out too late.  Please...PLEASE...Julie Plec, BRING BACK NATHANIEL in the PRESENT!  Have them switch bodies at the end of the season.  No one does Kol like him!  

I will take a different Finn.  I will take a different Esther.  Please don't take my Kol!

Glad Kol is also back, but why would he work with his mother? I wish he wasn't in someone else's body....really kind of dimishes my love of Kol.

If I knew how to use Twitter, I would bombard Julie's feed with - BRING BACK NB!

Get rid of Cami!  Ugh, she is not a good love interest for Klaus.  She does nothing for the show.  

• Love 2

I don't understand her guilt over killing other wolves.

Where was her guilt when she set up a ton of her werewolf friends to be murdered by Klaus in TVD.  It bugs me that she keep conveniently forgetting about that, especially since that event, and the clue Klaus gave her afterwards, is the whole reason she ended up in New Orleans looking for her family.  

Can't stand Cami, although she wasn't as annoying as she normally is.

More shirtless Marcel, please!

My guess is that he just wanted another chance to be alive again (mostly because he enjoys being a mischief maker), so if the price was helping his mother he was willing to do it. He knows that she had the power to bring him back as well as the power to end his current body occupying existence.

Since they are in other people's bodies, do the rules about the Originals being all powerful and unkillable still apply? Or does it mean they are weaker? If the human body gets beat up, will the Original inside die? Do they just need to hijack another body if the human body they're in gets too beat up?

Kol. Kol! Kol!!!!! As long as he lives and there is a chance to bring back NB then there is a chance I will make a full commitment to this show. Show me Nate and I'll show you my loyalty. Isn't that how they do things in the quarter anyhow?

People say Elijah is their favourite but for me it's always been Kol as the day is long. He really is the smartest and the least likely to start an apocalypse. That time he tortured Damon and wanted to rip off Jeremy's arms to save humanity, hold really special memories for me, Good times. *sigh*

Ranking:. Kol, Rebekah, Elijah, Esther, Finn, Baby Hope, Mikhal, Klaus' bio-dad and Klaus. In that order.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

Since they are in other people's bodies, do the rules about the Originals being all powerful and unkillable still apply? Or does it mean they are weaker? If the human body gets beat up, will the Original inside die? Do they just need to hijack another body if the human body they're in gets too beat up?

This begs the question I really hadn't thought of. It makes sense for Esther to be back in a hijacked witch body b/c she was a witch, but Finn and Kol were vampires does this mean they aren't vampires now? It hasn't ever really been done to have a vampire soul hijacked into someone else's body. It really kind of makes the whole thing a little harder to swallow. B/C does that now mean all the orginal children can be witches also/use witch magic?

I think Esther knows where the white oak stake is, and that is why she has Not!Kol befriending Davina. When she realized a strong witch had cloked it she knew who had it. I wonder what she'll do when she learns about Michael?

Oh hmm, good question.  Now I'm wondering why she was even in that store.  I don't recall her bringing the records back to Papa, or at least not giving them to him.  I also don't recall her ever mentioning that she had an interest in records, or that someone she's lost had an interest.  It's really convenient she was there.  Now it will bug me because I'll be looking for any mention of her interest in records.  lol

I thought it was a pretty good episode, although Haley's whining after killing the bitch she has been wanting dead forever didn't set too well.  I loved the beginning, with Rebekah telling hope her fairy tale.  I am becoming quite fond of Davina.  All I want this season is to see Esther and Mikael come face to face.  Unless I am remembering wrong, neither knows the other is around so it should get quite interesting. 

So I'm late to this party - having fallen in love with the show because of season 5 and sporadically binge-watching on Netflix - but I actually liked/loved Hayley's reaction to in this? I can actually sympathize with the idea of her resenting - not the "foot soldier" werewolves that attacked her - but the Guerreras who manipulated the pack (and bargained with her baby's life) in their power grab. As she said, she had just started reconciling and even being happy about being a werewolf. While I'll always side eye how quickly the show changed TVD!Hayley to TO!Hayley, the idea of someone who was always an outcast, searching desperately and ruthlessly for a family, and finally finding that family, and acceptance and peace with them - will be conflicted about waging war against them.