Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

(edited)
16 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Oh man. I just watched the season finale of Gotham and I am now officially worried about SPN being up against Gotham on Thursdays 8PM because I think the audiences between the two are not dissimilar. 

I'm not sure it really matters much what show goes up against Supernatural. It has its loyal fans and new ones joining in after finding it on TNT or Netflix - certainly enough to get it through the season. IMO, the show will announce a short season for 14 - ending on episode 300 and call it a wrap. By that time, the guys' side businesses will be going and they will, IMO, be ready to leave.

Edited by FlickChick
I forgot what season number was coming up. Duh!
  • Love 2

h/t @Velocity23 from the Arrow thread.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-watched-tv-shows-world-parrot-analytics-2017-7/#20-the-grand-tour-amazon-1

Supernatural is the 15th most watched TV show worldwide.  :):):):):):):)

To figure out what shows have captured the world's attention, INSIDER worked with Parrot Analytics, which analyzes ratings data (where available), social media chatter, blogging, and illegal pirating, among other factors, to figure out the viewer demand for shows.

With all the different ways we're watching TV nowadays – online, mobile, and streaming, etc. – Parrot provides one of the best ways to compare shows across platforms and measure how popular they really are.

In ranking the popularity of these shows, Parrot assigned them an expressions total that reflects average daily audience demand from all countries from January 1 to July 31, 2017, which is adjusted for each country's population.

Here are the 20 most popular TV shows in the world for 2017 so far, according to Parrot Analytics:

20. "The Grand Tour" (Amazon)

19. "The 100" (The CW)

18. "Lucifer" (FOX)

17. "Gotham" (FOX)

16. "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." (ABC)

15. "Supernatural" (The CW) (Average demand expressions: 3.45 million)*

14. "Arrow" (The CW)

13. "Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)

12. "Suits" (USA)

11. "Westworld" (HBO)

10. "Sherlock" (PBS)

9. "The Vampire Diaries" (The CW)

8. "13 Reasons Why" (Netflix)

7. "The Flash" (The CW)

6. "The Big Bang Theory" (CBS)

5. "Vikings" (History)

4. "Prison Break" (FOX)

3. "Pretty Little Liars" (Freeform)

2. "The Walking Dead" (AMC)

1. "Game of Thrones" (HBO)

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 4

Interesting news.

The CW Agrees To Offer Live And On-Demand Streaming Via Hulu With Live TV

http://deadline.com/2017/08/cw-offer-live-on-demand-streaming-hulu-1202157236/

The CW Network and Hulu appear to be in a friendlier place than they were around this time last year. The network, co-owned by CBS and Warner Bros., says today that “in the coming months” it will offer its live streams to subscribers of Hulu with Live TV. In addition, these subscribers will “soon” be able to watch episodes of current season series on-demand.

That’s a change from last year. Hulu — then just an on-demand service — wanted more than it was getting from its CW agreement, which only covered next-day access to the most recent “rolling five” episodes of CW series. CW stopped supplying its new programming, promoting instead the availability of recent episodes for streaming on the network’s own free app.

But the TV landscape looks a lot different now. YouTube TV launched in April with live streams from CW. Early this month CW agreed to provide them to AT&T’s DirecTV Now. Two weeks ago, FuboTV said that it would offer live streams from CBS-owned CW stations “soon.”

Today’s announcement does not say which markets will be able to receive the CW live streams. Availability typically requires the streaming service to reach a carriage agreement with local broadcast affiliates.

Since they’re on the same Network I hope this is OK. Pretty Ugly ratings for Supergirl last night (it tied a series low of 0.5) and The Valor Pilot got a 0.3!  

It’ll be interesting to see how Supernatural returns in comparison.

8 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Since they’re on the same Network I hope this is OK. Pretty Ugly ratings for Supergirl last night (it tied a series low of 0.5) and The Valor Pilot got a 0.3!  

I was afraid of that.  I think ratings for CW shows are going to be pretty low this year.  We'll see what happens when the numbers come out for The Flash.

20 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Is Valor the one about the not-so-elite soldiers with secrets? I'm actually not surprised about that one. Supergirl really hasn't fared well with the change to the CW, that's a bit more of a surprise, though.

39 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Supergirl was up against MLB playoffs, MNF, and Lucifer.  Valor looks awful LOL so I can see why that was hammered.

SPN is gonna be against TNF, Grey's Anatomy, and baseball playoffs too. So for me if they come out with a .5 I won't be surprised. It will matter more what ratings do in November during sweeps month once baseball is over.

Edited by catrox14

A much better night last night for the CW! The Flash scored a 1.0 and Legends of Tomorrow got a 0.6! Since they were getting similar ratings last year, let’s hope SN also bounces back up to the 0.6 it started with last year.

• Love 3

http://tvline.com/2017/10/12/riverdale-ratings-season-2-premiere/

Jinkies! Or… whatever they exclaim over in Riverdale. Because the CW drama on Wednesday opened Season 2 not just with series highs but double its usual numbers — and on a new night, with no lead-in.

All told, Riverdale drew 2.3 million total viewers and a 0.8 demo rating, up sharply from its freshman launch out of Supernatural (1.4 mil/0.5) and doubling its Season 1 average and finale (both of which were 1 mil/0.4).

In fact, Archie and the gang delivered the Wednesday lead-off spot’s best numbers since the Nov. 30 episode of Arrow. TVLine readers gave the premiere an average grade of “A-.”

Leading out of that, Dynasty did 1.34 mil and a 0.4 rating, on par with what Frequency debuted to in the time slot a year ago and besting fellow freshman Valor‘s Monday launch (1.2 mil/0.3).

Interesting to see how Supernatural and Arrow do tonight. 

• Love 1

The CW must be disappointed in Dynasty, since It seemed to be their big promotional push, but delighted with Riverdale! 

Did some casual Arrow viewers tune in to watch Arrow, unaware of the time and day change, and decide to stick around? LOL. Seriously though I assume it must have benefitted from people catching up via Netflix over the summer

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 2

I think there is more of cross over of SPN and Arrow fans out in the real world than what is reflected in this forum and even here there are several like me.

The problem for SPN tonight is that there is a final game  between the Cubs and Nationals,TNF, Gotham and Grey's Anatomy. If not for the Game 5 I think SPN would pull a 6 but now I think it will be more like a 5 which isn't the end of the world. I think the same day and 3+ DVR numbers will matter more in this case.

I think lack of competition helped Riverdale's numbers, too. At least for me, there is nothing 'must see' on Wednesdays at all. I PVR Designated Survivor for weekend watching, and that's it. As @catrox14 said, there are a lot of choices tonight. As a Canadian, my viewership doesn't count for anything, but I'll be watching live tonight (which will determine my live-watching for the rest of the season).

• Love 1

Yes, I would definitely agree the time slot change would have helped! Thursdays are traditionally the toughest night of the week and have the highest ad rate! I remember saying that’s why I think SN fell to a 0.5 for the first time last year!

im just surprised that Ravendale went up by that much! 

The CW ratings so far

The Flash: 1.1

Riverdale: 0.8 

Legends of Tomorrow: 0.6

Supergirl: 0.5 

The Valor: 0.3 

Dynasty: 0.3 (it adjusted down) 

One last chance to guess how our show will return before the ratings come out today. Personally, im hoping for a 0.6, but a 0.5 Wouldn’t be surprising. Even if we do sink to 0.4 some time this season I don’t think it’ll be the premiere episode!

24 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

CW Press release

FROM THE CW

As a multi-platform network, a big part of The CW’s audience watches us on delayed viewing and digital platforms. So these numbers will change significantly when complete viewing across all platforms is counted.

With that said, a strong return for Supernatural, in its 13th season and in a new time period.

Supernatural improved on the year ago time period (premiere of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow) by +15% in total viewers (2.1M), +20% in A18-34 (0.6/3), and +17% in A18-49 (0.7/3).

Supernatural was also up significantly versus last season’s finale, +24% in total viewers, +20% in A18-34, and +17% in A18-49. It was flat versus last season’s premiere in total viewers.

Supernatural ranked #3 (tie) in the 8-9pm hour in A18-34.

Arrow returned at a new night and time right on par with last season’s finale, and matching its season averages last season in both A18-34 (0.5/2) and A18-49 (0.6/2).

Last season both Supernatural and Arrow saw a large part of their viewing done on digital and delayed viewing platforms. Arrow averaged a 111% lift in 7-day delayed and digital viewing over its L+SD A18-49 rating, and Supernatural averaged a 97% increase last season

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/eagles-victory-panthers-thursday-night-football-lifts-cbs-victory/

H/t to @Velocity23 from the Arrow forume

Interesting press release about Supernatural and Arrow performance last night.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

http://tvline.com/2017/10/13/arrow-ratings-season-6-premiere-thursdays/

he CW’s Supernatural opened lucky Season 13 with 2.1 million total viewers and a 0.7 rating, up from its May finale and previous average (both at 1.7 mil/0.6) to deliver its biggest audience in a year and its best demo number since Feb. 16. TVLine readers gave the episode an average grade of “A-.”

RELATEDSupernatural Star Jared Padalecki, EPs Talk Winchesters’ Grief, Cas’ Return, ‘Connection’ With Jack and More

Leading out of that, Arrow‘s Thursday debut (1.6 mil/0.6, reader grade “B+”) was on par with its May finale (1.7 mil/0.6) and Season 5 average (1.76 mil/0.6), and up sharply from what Riverdale averaged (1 mil/0.4) in the post-Supernatural time slot last spring.

RELATEDArrow Season 6 Premiere Recap: Who Survived Lian Yu? And Who Didn’t?

All CW numbers are pending minor adjustment due to high school football preemption in small markets.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

H/t

Interesting press release about Supernatural and Arrow performance last night.

I had to scroll down to find it, so I thought I'd put it here for anyone else who had trouble like me.  :)

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/eagles-victory-panthers-thursday-night-football-lifts-cbs-victory/

Marc Berman Mod • 2 hours ago

FROM THE CW

As a multi-platform network, a big part of The CW’s audience watches us on delayed viewing and digital platforms. So these numbers will change significantly when complete viewing across all platforms is counted.

With that said, a strong return for Supernatural, in its 13th season and in a new time period.

Supernatural improved on the year ago time period (premiere of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow) by +15% in total viewers (2.1M), +20% in A18-34 (0.6/3), and +17% in A18-49 (0.7/3).

Supernatural was also up significantly versus last season’s finale, +24% in total viewers, +20% in A18-34, and +17% in A18-49. It was flat versus last season’s premiere in total viewers.

Supernatural ranked #3 (tie) in the 8-9pm hour in A18-34.

Arrow returned at a new night and time right on par with last season’s finale, and matching its season averages last season in both A18-34 (0.5/2) and A18-49 (0.6/2).

Last season both Supernatural and Arrow saw a large part of their viewing done on digital and delayed viewing platforms. Arrow averaged a 111% lift in 7-day delayed and digital viewing over its L+SD A18-49 rating, and Supernatural averaged a 97% increase last season.

I thought the bold was especially interesting - and good news for the show!  Up 15% over last year in total viewers for a show in its 13th season is pretty amazing, I think.  I think all the extra press has definitely helped too.  

• Love 2

Wow! An .8 in the 25-54 demo. That's awesome! The total viewers is pretty good as well with 2.1M.

And according to our friends over at the Arrow forum, both were preempted in Columbus, OH and aired later that evening. 

• Love 3

So I couldn't record the show last night because I was also recording Gotham and hubby was watching the Eagles.  So when I finish S12 (almost done with S11), I'll just watch it online.  going to do my best to push through and finish up before episode 3, 4 at worst.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

So I couldn't record the show last night because I was also recording Gotham and hubby was watching the Eagles.  So when I finish S12 (almost done with S11), I'll just watch it online.  going to do my best to push through and finish up before episode 3, 4 at worst.

We are rooting for you!

• Love 1

Why does the CW think SN is in a new time period? We are in the exact time day/time we were last season. It would be nice for the CW to know that about their longest running show.

Edited by FlickChick
Must use a question mark when asking a question.
1 minute ago, FlickChick said:

Why does the CW think SN is in a new time period? We are in the exact time day/time we were last season. It would be nice for the CW to know that about their longest running show.

LOL I didn't even notice that derp. That's pretty bad.

5 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I think they were speaking about the premiere. Last season we premiered in the later slot and were moved to the earlier spot mid-season. It sounded to me like they were comparing the two premieres.

• Love 2

Ah that makes sense!

19 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I think they were speaking about the premiere. Last season we premiered in the later slot and were moved to the earlier spot mid-season. It sounded to me like they were comparing the two premieres.

37 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Ah! You are probably right about that. I was thinking about where we ended up I guess! :(

• Love 2

I said it on the Arrow board and here when the new lineup was announced, these 2 shows pair well. I still think they should flip the timeslots but, I'm quote happy with both.

Can I also say how amazing it is that a show in it's 13th season is the 3rd ranked show on the network gained a bit from last season's finale.

• Love 7
Just now, Wayward Son said:

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-19.THU_.png

A slight drop from last weeks premiere but nothing to worry about :). We tie Arrow and Ravendale for second place with the Flash getting a 0.9

SPN beat Arrow and Riverdale. Rankings go Demo then viewers. For the week it's Flash, SPN, Riverdale, Arrow, Supergirl, LoT and junk shows.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-19.THU_.png

A slight drop from last weeks premiere but nothing to worry about :). We tie Arrow and Ravendale for second place with the Flash getting a 0.9

Hee. That sounds like a much more interesting show than Riverdale. Like I picture a town of where there are possessed ravens or something. ;)

• Love 2

They tied in the Demo and the demo is what the advertisers pay attention to not the total viewers. They tied on that front with 0.6 each. 

The CW's ranking this week were

The Flash: 0.9

Supernatural, Riverdale and Arrow: 0.6

Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow: 0.5

Dynasty: 0.3

Valor: 0.2

1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

They tied in the Demo and the demo is what the advertisers pay attention to not the total viewers. They tied on that front with 0.6 each. 

The CW's ranking this week were

The Flash: 0.9

Supernatural, Riverdale and Arrow: 0.6

Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow: 0.5

Yes but viewers count towards post sale interest (greater viewers means more people buying DVDs)

When any site talks about weekly rankings they don't claim 3 way ties, they use the viewers as a tie breaker. Unless/until the unrounded numbers come out for the week at which point they use those. However, those come out late and usually get overlooked in the fast paced talking points. 

For instance last week when the unrounded numbers came out for the week, Arrow ended up ahead of LoT but, who really paid attention? 

So as of right now it goes Flash, SPN, Riverdale, Arrow, Supergirl, LoT and a bunch of crap.

• Love 2

To this day I do not understand why CW greenlit those shows. They don`t fit with the overall vibe of the network. 

Well, ratings won`t determine SPN`s fate at this point anyway. Those are stellar for the network but even if they were not, contracts will make or break it. 

• Love 1