Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I just want to know where "Carry on Wayward Son" is going to go. Before 22? Between 22 and 23? The things this show makes me think about.

I dunno. My first inclination was the episodes are supposed to be two separate episodes that happen to be airing on the same night, so traditionally it would go with 23. But, if they're trying to make it a two-hour "event", they would do it before 22...hmm? 

The things they getting me to ponder, indeed!

• Love 1

I would have to agree with @catrox14. As far as I can recall the show has always used it as the opening theme of the final episode of the season! The only exception to this was in season one where they used it before the second last episode. However, I've always had the impression Carry On wasn't originally intended to be a thing! I think they used it, realised how fitting to the show it was, and then it's usage for the finale became a thing from season 2 on. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Sadly the show didn't benefit from the uptick other CW shows got this week. In fact the viewers are down again! 

Ouch! Let's hope we keep the 0.5 demo. When our viewers were this low before we got in by the skin of our teeth!

2 minutes ago, Geordiegirl1967 said:

Ouch! Let's hope we keep the 0.5 demo. When our viewers were this low before we got in by the skin of our teeth!

We could adjust up a little, in my neck of the woods last night during the live broadcast we had severe weather and a couple of tornado's on the ground.

• Love 1
(edited)

Final-Bcast-2017-May-11.THU_.png

Here are the finals. No change in the demo and a slight adjustment down in the viewers from a rounded 1.43 to 1.42 .

Interestingly unrounded it got 0.51 so it was actually a stronger 0.5 than you'd think based on the viewer count. I

Edited by Wayward Son
5 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Final-Bcast-2017-May-11.THU_.png

Here are the finals. No change in the demo and a slight adjustment down in the viewers from a rounded 1.43 to 1.42 .

Interestingly unrounded it got 0.51 so it was actually a stronger 0.5 than you'd think based on the viewer count. I

Do you have the half hours?

(edited)
27 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

0.531 and 0.504 for demo. I'll see if I can find viewers half hours :) 

.Thanks..can't Dabb see he has a pattern of losing viewers with his vision of SPN even when he can get them to tune in at the start. So discouraging though not surprising.

Edited by Idahoforspn
(edited)

Maybe they'll find a different pairing for Riverdale and move Supernatural back to a later slot? I never understood why they paired it with Supernatural anyway. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2
(edited)

NBC is going after Thursdays again. They moved "This Is Us" to 9pm Thursday behind Will & Grace revival at 8PM and "Great News" at 8:30, which along with Gotham move at Fox, I'm not sure moving SPN back to 9PM Thursday will help .

IMO they should move it back to 9PM Tuesday or 9PM Wednesday. Those seem to be the most successful timeslots post Kripke era

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
(edited)

I agree that Riverdale isn`t a good fit but it is a young show so it made sense putting it after a dependable performer. Not everything on the network can go after Flash which remains their only hit these days. 

The CW Fall schedule should be interesting. Now SPN isn`t and shouldn`t be their priority, the show has remained relatively steady in most timeslots and they need to prioritize their younger shows. I would say the new ones especially but the picks are so godawful. Valor and Dynasty? Are you kidding me?

Maybe they`ll use the show to try and anchor Mondays. 

IMO they should move it back to 9PM Tuesday or 9PM Wednesday. 

Wednesday, possibly. But unless they move Flash, it would be criminally stupid to give up the prime post-Flash slot to a show that doesn`t need it. And they might want to keep the mid-Season combo of Arrow/100 because those are their darkest shows in tone. Since SPN isn`t a half-Season show that would mean moving it halfway through.  

And since they want to continue doing big DC-verse x-overs, I reckon they will keep each shows on from Monday to Thursday.  

Edited by Aeryn13
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

Maybe they'll find a different pairing for Riverdale and move Supernatural back to a later slot? I never understood why they paired it with Supernatural anyway. 

I always thought they should have put it after The Flash -- lots of beautiful young people.  But what do I know?  ;-)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Demented Daisy said:

I always thought they should have put it after The Flash -- lots of beautiful young people.  But what do I know?  ;-)

That was my thought too. Plus, it appears it really could've used a better lead in.

• Love 2

I think Riverdale is supposed to have some light mystery elements so that`s probably why they put it with SPN. Without really knowing the show, I would say it`s an even worse fit with Flash or any of the Berlanti-verse shows. Those shows have an entirely different vibe. TVD would have been the closest fit but obviously that was out of the question.  

Now I wonder if they pair off SPN with Valor next Season. Because I can`t see it going with anything else, other than perhaps the 100.  

• Love 1

I thought Arrow/SPN was the best pairing because they had pretty,, hot, sexy people doing action things and emoting all over the place but they were not the same style of show, so it didn't feel redundant.  But that's just me.

• Love 3
(edited)

So SPN only dropped 18% y2y in Live + SD and 8% y2y in Live+7 

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/2016-2017-tv-season-in-five-really-depressing-charts.html

The CW
  0%    Jane The Virgin
- 8%    Supernatural
-11%    The Vampire Diaries
-13%    Originals
-17%    The Flash
-20%    Reign
-21%    DCs Legends of Tomorrow
-22%    The 100
-22%    iZombie
-25%    Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
-31%    Arrow
-48%    Supergirl*

The only show with less of a y2y drop (ie either category) is JTV. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
2 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

I think Riverdale is supposed to have some light mystery elements so that`s probably why they put it with SPN. Without really knowing the show, I would say it`s an even worse fit with Flash or any of the Berlanti-verse shows.

Rumors are that it might be part of the Berlanti-verse someday.  The Archie comics fall under the DC umbrella, plus it's EP'd by Berlanti.

It's actually not bad, for what it's worth.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't particularly mind what day, but I really hope the show moves back to 9pm or if it has to stay at 8 they move it to a different night. Thursdays at 8 is commonly known as the most competitive hour, which is why it has the highest ad rates for example. The CW were lucky to have the TVD as a break out hit which could survive that time slot and it's clear they've been struggling to find a replacement since. 

However, Supernatural is not the answer. Perhaps if they had first moved us when the TVD began to decline during its fifth season (season 9 of SN) we could have handled the extra competition, but the show definitely can't now. It was already down to regular 0.6s for the first time in the shows history, when they moved us and it will only continue to fall if they keep us facing the 8pm Thursday competition. 

Of course this is all just my opinion of course.

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Demented Daisy said:

Arrow and SPN are back together, but flipped.

Disappointing. I had really hoped we would move back to 9pm. the 8pm slot has hurt us in the ratings this season (unless the ratings fall is due to people not enjoying it - probably a combination of both).

On 15/05/2017 at 9:21 PM, Wayward Son said:

I don't particularly mind what day, but I really hope the show moves back to 9pm or if it has to stay at 8 they move it to a different night. Thursdays at 8 is commonly known as the most competitive hour, which is why it has the highest ad rates for example. The CW were lucky to have the TVD as a break out hit which could survive that time slot and it's clear they've been struggling to find a replacement since. 

However, Supernatural is not the answer. Perhaps if they had first moved us when the TVD began to decline during its fifth season (season 9 of SN) we could have handled the extra competition, but the show definitely can't now. It was already down to regular 0.6s for the first time in the shows history, when they moved us and it will only continue to fall if they keep us facing the 8pm Thursday competition. 

I agree with WS. I fear for next years ratings. Do we know yet what our competition will be?

IMO, keeping it in the earlier time slot shows how much faith they have in our little show. It seems like Arrow might need the lead in, while Supernatural doesn't. So, while I think the show would do fine later, I also think the earlier time slot will be fine too. The ratings drop this season seems to be endemic to the network not the show itself. And, hopefully this means they won't end up moving it around mid-season. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

Our competition will be 

ABC: Grey's Anatomy

CBS: The Big Bang Theory (8-830) and Young Sheldom (830 - 9) 

Fox: Gotham 

NBC: Will and Grace (8-830) and Great News (830-9)

Ouch! BBT gets huge ratings. Gotham is another genre show. What were we up against this season? Still BBT I think. Not sure about others. 

23 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

While I agree SPN doesn't (and hasn't really) need a lead in. SPN is better off, IMO at 9PM. 

Oh, I agree. I just was looking at it from the network's position. While SPN would probably do better in the later time slot, it will probably do fine in the earlier one. However, Arrow probably would not do well in the earlier one, but with a stronger lead-in, they might do okay in the later one.

I just think they've positioned them so both shows still live at the end of the battle. As a SPN fan, I'd love to see SPN get the best position on the battlefield and get all the glory. But if they lose the battle altogether, then there really is no glory to be got.

Okay, I don't think I really got there with that one. Sorry, I disappoint myself. ;)

• Love 2

I haven't watched Arrow in years, but it's more a super hero type series, isn't it?  More 8PM appropriate than Supernatural which can be dark and unnerving (or used to be).  I'm not getting their reasoning. 

Still, pretty much every network show is swirling the ratings toilet bowl.  People are no longer tied to watching live... and they're not!  We record and FF through the ads.  I don't know... maybe it'll mean more product placement or somehow disabling functions so we can't FF.  But Nielsen ratings don't mean that much any more IMO.

2 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I haven't watched Arrow in years, but it's more a super hero type series, isn't it?  More 8PM appropriate than Supernatural which can be dark and unnerving (or used to be).  I'm not getting their reasoning. 

I haven't kept up on Arrow this season, but I do think Supernatural and Arrow are very similar in tone--more or less. Arrow is the "dark" of the CW superhero shows. Supergirl and The Flash are more traditional superhero shows like Smallville was. Legends of Tomorrow falls somewhere in between, IMO.

(edited)
22 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I just think they've positioned them so both shows still live at the end of the battle. As a SPN fan, I'd love to see SPN get the best position on the battlefield and get all the glory. But if they lose the battle altogether, then there really is no glory to be got.

Okay, I don't think I really got there with that one. Sorry, I disappoint myself. ;)

vRbBPnP.gif

*giggle snort*

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Oh, I agree. I just was looking at it from the network's position. While SPN would probably do better in the later time slot, it will probably do fine in the earlier one. However, Arrow probably would not do well in the earlier one, but with a stronger lead-in, they might do okay in the later one.

Oh absolutely. SPN is one of the few shows on any network that can be moved to any time slot and NOT have a major impact on ratings

I'm sure they looked at Arrow and said let's give it a strong lead in to minimize any potential ratings impact with the move.

10 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

It looks like Jensen and Jared might be at the upfronts this year.

They weren't there last year, right? It seems Arrow (at least SA) didn't get an invite this year. Very weird.

(edited)

I'm happy Arrow and SPN are paired again but I don't get the time slots .I guess they think Arrow might  do better against This Is Us.

But this is going to be weird come crossover time for the DC shows which they always promo as 4 night crossover event which makes me wonder if they will move Arrow back to Wednesday or LoT to Wednesday to accommodate. Also, they could end up moving both SPN and Arrow backnto Wednesday for the crossover and leave it there and move Riverdale and Dynasty to Thursdays.

Edited by catrox14
(edited)

So Jensen *is* there.

I'm a little scared, since Clarissa (theTVAddict) said she was not at all surprised J2 weren't there as she didn't expect them again unless/until there was a big announcement, or the series end. *hold me*

ETA: Jared too

Edited by gonzosgirrl

. It's strange that Pedowitz said nothing about the show. I don't know if this will be case but the boys could be there to announce themselves that s13 might be the end of  the line for them

• Love 1

Jared posted this on Twitter yesterday:

Thanks for all the love today y'all! Something exciting comin tomorrow :)

Not sure he would advertise the end of the show as 'something exciting'.

I'm with others -- this is confidence in Supernatural. The network is FINE with the ratings.  9pm IS a better time for watching and they are giving it to Arrow.  They are trying to extend the week to Thursday by putting a long-time show there.

Supernatural did okay in that killer 9pm slot.  Arrow may be more challenged.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Wynne88 said:

An announcement of a spinoff would be far more likely.  Can't think of a spin-off I'd actually want to watch though.  

I've been pushing for a Jodi/Mary/Rowena spinoff since last summer, I think.  I would love to see those interactions.  

Oh, and Donna for comedic relief!  :-)

• Love 1