Type keyword(s) to search

We Could've Been Great Together: OLTL's Missed Opportunity Couples

UYI
  • Start Topic

Those couples on OLTL that ultimately never were.

Al and Natalie would probably be at the top of my list.

I would have been interested in Max and Lindsay getting a chem test, too. 

• Love 4

Me, too. I always wanted Roxy and Max to have had a real shot.

Dr. Brainfoot and Tea. They had some smoking chemistry. Too bad she was shackled to VicTodd and he was inexplicably under the heel of Eli Clarke, Evilest Man in History.

• Love 2

Greg and Téa did have chemistry. Terrell Tilford is simply not a strong enough actor for anything serious with a performer of FL's caliber, but he would've made a good smarmy cohort for awhile in some scheme - I remember Greg talking briefly about trying to take over the hospital. And if Rachel and Sky had hooked up as planned, they could've played all that drama as well between Rachel and Téa, who were inconsistent friends at best IMO.

I remember thinking near the end of the JFP era that Max and Nora - who were sharing a fair amount of scenes in the days leading up to the murder of Colin MacIver - had a lot of chemistry. I could've gone for a fling there. They also never pulled the trigger on R.J. and Nora despite a mild flirtation in the Dena Higley years, much to my chagrin. That could have been big.

Max and Roxy happened, but was killed by Brian Frons. I did love them. The show seemed very intrigued by Melissa Archer with Nathaniel Marston, which is why they kept putting them together when he was both Al and Michael, but they never really went there, except, I think, for one random kiss Al and Natalie shared in early 2002. They should have gone for it. I hated NM as Al outside of Marcie, but they worked. Recast or not, it was a perfect idea. I don't understand why they never went there, with either Nat or Jess, and they did tease it with both in 2002 and 2003.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

Schuyler Joplin and Rachel Gannon, hands down.  Scott Clifton and Daphnee Duplaix sparkled together and it was clear they were setting things up to head that way when they were both stupidly fired.  I always imagined Schuyler tumbling off the wagon after everything that happened with Sierra Rose/Roxy/Mitch and Rachel helping him pick up the pieces and the two finding love.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6

They promoted it in the magazines as happening too, a week or two before they fired everyone.

I know I'm asking you to reach back, any chance you remember if it was mentioned in an interview with one of the actors or Ron?  Or was it more talking about the scenes we did see (Rachel defending Schuyler to Greg, them taking care of the baby)?

Edited by TeeVee329

IIRC, it was a spring preview. I believe they said Rachel would be torn between her loyalty for Schuyler and her relationshp with Greg, and it basically grouped them as a triangle. We saw a small bit of that onscreen right before they were all fired.

• Love 2

Thanks!

I would have just jettisoned Greg, but a triangle could have worked too.  You could have had Greg making Schuyler life miserable at work (I recall Greg telling Kyle that he planned to do just that) and that adding to Schuyler's depression and tumble off the wagon.  Mix in Roxy and Kyle and it could have been a great story.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

I just meant they could have done the initial story pairing Schuyler and Rachel as a romantic couple with or without Greg.

As is, I'll never understand why, if the Rachel/Greg relationship was deemed a dud, they got rid of her immediately (maybe because Schuyler had to go to save Rex and Gigi?) and strung him along for a few more pointless months.

• Love 1

Why was everyone fired? 

They were gay and/or black/not Rex.

It's slightly more complicated, but not much. From what little I know about it, the feedback on the show was very, very negative in late 2009-early 2010. They were getting a lot and it was bringing at least some of their numbers down, not just because of the Kish/gay wedding story (which I loved, but the Dorian angle remains controversial with other people to this day, including Robin Strasser) but also because of Ford, Stacy, Mitch, Rex, Gigi, etc. In any event, the Kish story and the overall LGBT "overload" was seen as the biggest issue - too much gay stuff, too fast. So they (IMO) scapegoated it and dumped them.

They didn't want to, especially not Ron, but it was a push from the network, and FV's eyes were supposedly on the ratings first. FV may or may not have also had issues with one or both of the performers in Kish, particularly Scott Evans, who wasn't on contract and was supposedly seen as less than reliable. And the very big push on Kish did hurt their numbers, not that I would have stopped, but it wasn't the only thing. There were a lot of factors. Kish would've been the last thing I'd dump. Mitch, Stacy, Ford, etc. was all a debacle.

Anyway, with them went some of the other parts of the "outsider" sphere that weren't seen as germane to the core of the show - Rachel, Sky, etc. Sky was a romantic threat to Rex and Gigi and was, I guess, seen as the biggest issue with Rex and Gigi's wildly unpopular story, which is nonsense but whatever. So off he went to save more money and purge more supposed 'problem' parts of the show and end all these unpopular storylines (Mitch, Stacy and in ABC's eyes Kish), which all wrapped up in a matter of weeks. I think Rachel was just collateral damage, and frankly seen as irrelevant without Sky, which is ridiculous.

Then they set about restructuring the show starting with the Ford brothers and Kelly, and there you are.

As for Sky and Rachel, I don't think that's correct - I remember their being fired very close together, and while he did stay on another month, he was gone before May.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

As for Sky and Rachel, I don't think that's correct - I remember their being fired very close together, and while he did stay on another month, he was gone before May.

I was talking about Rachel and Greg.  By early 2010, it was clear that that relationship was a dud and something had to be done.  But Rachel, the legacy character who could have had tons of story even without Schuyler, was gone in March while Greg got to stick around the canvas until November.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

The show seemed very intrigued by Melissa Archer with Nathaniel Marston, which is why they kept putting them together when he was both Al and Michael, but they never really went there, except, I think, for one random kiss Al and Natalie shared in early 2002.

It was actually an almost kiss--I think Natalie figured out that Al was faking his paralysis to hold on to Jen?--and they almost kissed and someone else walked into the room. They never got that close again.

Two couples that got together but were not treated that seriously at all were Eli/Blair and Sky/Gigi. I wanted both of them to stick around. Sigh. :(

I wouldn't have minded Sky/Rachel, though.

ETA: I realize this might slightly be breaking the rules,  but the 2003-era Max & Gabby is another missed opportunity that I continue to mourn to this day :'( .

That said, had he not gone crazy, Troy/Gabrielle might have been a fun fling to watch (although in my heart, he and his fucked-up self belonged to the equally fucked-up Lindsay. SIGH, I LOVED THEM SO MUCH. *cries*).

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

How about Brody and Layla?  I haven't seen much of it, but I know people liked their interactions when he first joined the show before he fully got sucked into Rex/Gigi hell.  I was excited to see them interact during the Teen!Jess story (even though I was a Cris/Layla fan), there were spoilers to that effect, but it apparently fell victim to rewrites and they only had one quick scene.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

Brody and Layla definitely showed some sparks when he first showed up. Speaking of that time, while not a couple, I was always a little sad a Layla/Dorian friendship didn't form up while they were working on Adriana's schemes. That would have been fun.

Schuyler and Rachel, yes. I was looking forward to that couple.

They probably don't count, since at one time they were in fact a couple, but I think the show missed an opportunity by not revisiting Cris/Nat that last year, instead of flinging her into that nonsensical engagement with Brody while pining endlessly for John. That was not a good time for Natalie. Don't get me wrong, I loved Cris/Layla and I was not at all happy with the way they were broken up, but since that happened, I would have been open to a Crisalie reprise, even a brief one. The way they ended never sat well either. And all because of John "Watch Me Bang the "Widow" Vega While Conveniently Forgetting to Mention That Her Husband Is Alive and in Prison, Because I'm a Hero" McBain.

Kevin and Marty. After the rapemance, I wanted Kevin to come back, team up with Marty to destroy Todd* and fall in love while doing it. Tell me that wouldn't have been great.

ETA: Er, I mean Victor. Duh, self.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 3

I would've been down with Kevin and Marty at that time. But honestly, at the time they had Jessica in her umpteenth crazy episode and Marty was still sane, I thought Susan Haskell and Mark Lawson had a surprising amount of chemistry, similar to what she had with Brody's bud Wes Grainger. Susan Haskell often worked well with the rough and tumble guys. I could've gotten down with them having an old-fashioned soap affair, especially with Marty being Jessica's best friend. Marty and Brody get secretly involved, Jessica is in the nuthouse, their closeness is dismissed by friends and family due to their both loving Jessica, and meanwhile Kevin is publicly wooing his old classmate. The public/private relationships play out in public and behind closed doors. It's an old, classic soap story. But it's too human interest-driven and they're both 'good' people, so ABC (and Ron and Frank) would not have been interested. Were the show to return and reboot again (haha) I'd be more interested in Kevin and Rachel, happily married and a tentpole younger couple.

I also choose to believe both Cris and Layla and Jess and Brody reunited offscreen. They set that up with the latter already, but while I adore Erin Torpey I just prefer to think that Cristian caught up with Layla in Europe and they made it work. (BTW, the original Adriana's audition sides? Had her crushing on 'cousin' Cristian at Carlotta's diner.)

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

Daytime stopped doing friendships years ago and usually kept family interactions island-ed. I recall that horrid storyline where Evangeline and VicTodd were stuck at (I think) the Bayberry Inn. They snuggled all night because that's what good girls do, apparently, when they're bunking with the town's best known criminal. Of course, they had to show that Blair is a slut, so they had her banging Cristian across the hall. I thought they were hot together, but what do I know? Anyway, there was a weird scene of Blair and Layla talking in the hotel room. I remember liking Kassie and Tika's chemistry and thinking she'd make a great younger friend/protege for Blair. I don't think they ever had another scene together after that, though.

Word to all those who mentioned Al/Natalie, Brody/Layla, Sky/Rachel, Sky,Gigi, and Max/Nora. Especially Brody/Layla, who was never even an option. I still remember seeing them in that bar. They caught my attention because they sparked instantly. I also liked that they were gorgeous opposites in looks. So pretty. Accidental chemistry is always the best. But if it wasn't part of their bible, Ron and Frank rarely if ever changed course, much to the show's detriment.

• Love 2

I also choose to believe both Cris and Layla and Jess and Brody reunited offscreen. They set that up with the latter already, but while I adore Erin Torpey I just prefer to think that Cristian caught up with Layla in Europe and they made it work.

Agreed.  I understand why they went with the wink-wink meet-cute with Erin (Torpey) and it's not like Tika Sumpter was desperately waiting by the phone for their call (her success post-OLTL makes me so happy), but I would have much preferred Cris/Layla.

Especially because their break-up was bullshit.  I know they couldn't have Cris engaged to an off-screen Layla forever, but I refuse to believe that Layla would ever, EVER cheat.  Not given her whole character arc in 2009 - being devastated by her breakup with serial cheater Vincent, which led to her lack of confidence in being able to have a successful relationship, which led to her ignoring her instincts with Fish, which led to her getting closer to and finding love with Cris.

And let's not forget, though Cris and Rama dismissed Layla as a cheater when they were going over Cris' list of past loves during his final days, Cris wasn't exactly as pure as the driven snow.  He (super, super grossly) made out with Gigi in Paris and propositioned her.  And then he spent New Year's Eve making out with and playing strip poker with Blair.

Ugh, I hated it, ALL of it.

• Love 2

It was actually an almost kiss--I think Natalie figured out that Al was faking his paralysis to hold on to Jen?--and they almost kissed and someone else walked into the room. They never got that close again.

Later, after NM was playing Michael, I would definitely have gone for a pairing with Natalie and him. Their playing in the rain was all kinds of awesome.

I admit, I was way too into Natalie/Cris to want her with Al. Besides, I have to be honest and say that NM's Al didn't do much for me. Frankly, I think they wasted Al and Gabrielle's return by shunting him solely into the Jen-bot's orbit. You had all of this stuff when the reveal came where Max had basically left Gabrielle and, more importantly, Al to live wherever they lived in poverty and while Al was pissed off at Max for awhile they didn't do near as much with it as they should have.

Shouldn't they have had Nat and Al possibly bond over that? What's more, Al had his younger years living with Max, being best friends with CJ, loving his step-Mom Luna and all of that before he headed off to live with Gabrielle when she was released and then promptly forgotten by Max... who also promptly forgot about Frankie and Leslie the second they were shipped off to Luna's relative in North Carolina. I suppose if anyone had been interested in rehabilitating Max they really could have done so much more with him and his deadbeat dad ways.

Hell, Blair entertained hopes of not only having a baby with Max but bringing Frankie and Leslie back and having a big blended family with them, Starr and the child she briefly hoped to have with Max. (Before Todd started meddling hardcore because he did not want Blair tied to Max in that way. Period.)

I mean, other than Max latching onto the idea of Blair's baby (Todd's, actually, that she was lying about) as a sort of 'do over' because Al was mad at him... they didn't delve too deeply there. And it's too bad, it might have done some good for Max' character at the time because he was a mess.

So I don't lament Al/Natalie too much.

But I do lament the loss of the redo of Max/Gabrielle AND the loss of Max/Roxy. Both had scads of potential that they never mined.

And I'll forever be bitter about the decimation of the Holdens despite my lack of real interest in Al.

• Love 2

I admit, I was way too into Natalie/Cris to want her with Al.

Same here.  There was definitely chemistry there, but I really wanted Natalie and Cris to get together and wanted to Jenn to just goooooo awwwwwway. 

But yeah, poor Al was yoked to Jenn right from the start.  I think he spotted her at the quarry (THE QUARRY) and it was love at first sight.  Perhaps he should have gotten his eyes checked.

(edited)

Asa and Dorian. They flirted with each other a bit over the years, but never explored things beyond that. It wouldn't have lasted long, but I have a feeling the chemistry between Philip Carey and Robin Strasser would have been awesome, especially once we would get to their inevitable break up.

Edited by AndySmith

I can't see it. Asa raped her niece. Dorian was often not as loyal to Blair as she should've been, but I can buy from Robin Strasser's performance that she never forgot that fact, even if it was never actually mentioned for years.

• Love 1
(edited)

Asa raped Blair during their brief, disastrous marriage. This was Mia Korf's Blair, and so it would've been around 1991 or 1992.

Dorian was the only person she ever told about it.

Edited by Melgaypet

And yet, still not the most twisted relationship on this show...I'd overlook it just to see the sparks between Robin and Philip. If anything, the rape could've been what drives them apart in the end.

Asa raped Blair during their brief, disastrous marriage. This was Mia Korf's Blair, and so it would've been around 1991 or 1992.

Dorian was the only person she ever told about it.

1992, when they were married. And considering that Elaine Princi was Dorian at the time, that's interesting to hear that it seemed like Robin played it that way in scenes. I never noticed that. 

(edited)

Hmm. I never saw that in Robin's performance. Unless Robin was back in the role when Blair confessed to her, it's possible Robin herself wasn't aware, unless she was watching the show when Elaine was on.

Edited by AndySmith

*Shrugs* It's subjective, for sure. I may very have been reading into things (although just because she wasn't in the role at the time, I would still bet Robin knew about it). But Dorian never wavered in hating Asa that I recall, and I have no problem believing that what he did to Blair was always in the back of her mind when dealing with him. I just don't think she and Asa would make any sense at all as a couple, even a short-term one.

Kassie dePaiva didn't play those scenes, either, but I read the subtext of the rape in her scenes with Asa, especially when she screamed at him to die at the Buchanan Lodge while he was having a heart attack

Speaking of Blair and missed opportunities, remember how awesome her scenes with Ross Rayburn were before he was turned into an evil abusive kayak-killer? BOSS CRAYBURN!

• Love 2
(edited)

I think she makes about as much sense as, say, Dorian and Clint. I mean, you get some weird couples sometimes. Sometimes the actors chemistry and/or the writing can make it work. I guess we all see what we want to see, and whether it exists or not.

Edited by AndySmith

I would've been interested in seeing Cutter interact with Adriana.  In her last appearances, Adriana had developed an elitist attitude that would've challenged Cutter.  Also, you have the history between Dorian and Alex and their pasts with Rex and Gigi to work with.

• Love 4

Not a pairing, per se, but a golden opportunity for a Cord/Blair/Todd/Rebecca quadrangle was missed in 94-95. Especially since that seemed like the set up before Rebecca was sent out of town and Blair/Todd became the next big thing. It would have been glorious--Blair and Todd each genuinely torn between someone who genuinely makes them want to be a better person and someone who accepts them as they are.

• Love 1
(edited)

They might not count, since at one point they were a couple - and an important couple at that - but I thought it was a missed opportunity that the show never revisited Natalie/Cristian in that last year instead of forcing her and Brody into that wrong-headed engagement. I mean, I get why they did what they did, but the execution was awful. Both Natalie and Brody - heretofore sympathetic and realistically flawed characters - were turned into delusional, plot-driven assholes. The two of them made great friends. They made great co-parents. They made a great hot, drunken, so-wrong-it's-right one night stand. They did not make a great couple, or even a believable one.

And I loved Natalie/Cristian. I hated the way their relationship was trashed, all for stupid fucking John McBain. I mean, I was mad about how they did Layla, too, but Tika Sumpter was gone and David Fumero had nothing to do. Why not?

ETA: Tea and Dr. Brainfoot had some serious chemistry and so did Shaun and Kelly, but the show was too invested in the Tea/VicTodd and Kelly/Joey relationships to take advantage. Which speaking of Joey, you all remember how Nathan Fillion came back for Asa's funeral, yeah? While I love those episodes, I remain disappointed that the whole thing didn't stretch on for like a monthday, and Joe and Dorian didn't sneak off for some hot illicit sex in a spare bedroom or the stables or somesuch.

Oh, wait, I've thought of some more! Evangaline (who I hated after she screwed over RJ) and Kevin. They had some interesting sparks. Also, Kevin and Keri, who I don't remember ever actually meeting, but I liked Bitch on Wheels Keri and thought she should probably have some fun instead of obsessing over stupid Antonio, and plus they'd be hot. Also, there was a point in 2010 when I thought Kim and Kevin would hook up, and I was ambivalent, because on one hand, soapy, and on the other, I couldn't quite figure Kevin, who once had an affair with his brother's wife and then had his son sleep with his wife to much distress and drama, would sleep with his father's wife so soon after his father had lost his previous wife to his brother. (Wow, that sentence is bonkers!)

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

They might not count, since at one point they were a couple - and an important couple at that - but I thought it was a missed opportunity that the show never revisited Natalie/Cristian in that last year instead of forcing her and Brody into that wrong-headed engagement.

Meanwhile, in Cris' last few days, they just HAD to throw him at Jessica one more time.  I know that was mostly to (barf) set up Jessica and Ford, but still, that relationship had long been dead and dusted, and then reanimated and killed again during Teen!Jess, so it irked me. 

22 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Also, there was a point in 2010 when I thought Kim and Kevin would hook up

They must have been planning, prior to AS giving her notice, on her having an affair with/sleeping with somebody, given all the on-screen noise about the codicil in the pre-nup about her getting bupkis if she cheated on Clint and her imagining shirtless guys all over the Buenos Dias.  Maybe hate sex with Schuyler?  Or with David?

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, Camille said:

Not a pairing, per se, but a golden opportunity for a Cord/Blair/Todd/Rebecca quadrangle was missed in 94-95. Especially since that seemed like the set up before Rebecca was sent out of town and Blair/Todd became the next big thing. It would have been glorious--Blair and Todd each genuinely torn between someone who genuinely makes them want to be a better person and someone who accepts them as they are.

I have been re-watching some 90's one life to live, and I loved Cord with Mia Korf's Blair. They were so gorgeous, as a couple. They both had that dark, exotic look...I wish that the show had gone with them.  If I could not have Cord/Tina, then, Cord/Blair would have been great.  I don't see Mia's Blair having any chemistry with Todd..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

*sigh* Blair/Eli had IT. We got stuck for months of Blair shoved into pairings with AWFUL choices like fucking SAM (both versions!) or that nonsense with Kevin or that other nonsense with Troy that apparently 99% of it happened off screen. They finally get a non-Todd, non-Max pairing for her that was on FIRE and they flushed it down the toilet for not-Todd and Marty and Tea.

Fuck my life. That was just horrible decision on top of a slew of other horrible decisions.

• Love 9

I was intrigued by the idea of JVD's Clint with Lindsay during the B.E. Takeover Storyline.  Them getting together at that point would've made a lot more sense than their original pairing. I also think that a Clint/Lindsay/Bo/Nora quad would've made an interesting story at that time.  

• Love 2

There was a time in the early Crisalie era when Natalie actually DID kiss Al in order to stop him from accusing her of being in love with Cris.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrv_ge1rzsE

On 9/29/2014 at 2:52 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Schuyler Joplin and Rachel Gannon, hands down.  Scott Clifton and Daphnee Duplaix sparkled together and it was clear they were setting things up to head that way when they were both stupidly fired.  I always imagined Schuyler tumbling off the wagon after everything that happened with Sierra Rose/Roxy/Mitch and Rachel helping him pick up the pieces and the two finding love.

I am bitter because both Schuyler and Dillion were far better characters than Liam on the Bold and the Beautiful.

Anyway, there were rumours that One Life to Live wanted to do a gay storyline with Rex and Natalie's boyfriend played by Brandon Routh, but either Brandon threw a hissyfit or the Powers that Be got cold feet and Brandon was dumped. I also remember that Trevor wanted Todd to be bisexual. That could have been interesting. Maybe he could have seduced Cole. LMAO. Finally...

Oh, Shack. What could've been.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think it was actually the second Seth, Steve Richard Harris, who they wanted to do the gay storyline with. Brandon Routh was fired before any of that was planned out, as far as I know.

(But OMG, that note he posted shortly afterwards about how the fate of then-EP Gary Tomlin after his firing was in God's hands or whatever the fuck? Dude, get over yourself.) 

Edited by UYI
19 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I am bitter because both Schuyler and Dillion were far better characters than Liam on the Bold and the Beautiful.

I don't watch "The Bold and the Beautiful", but I've heard about what a douchenozzle the character he plays is and, while I'm sure he's enjoyed the many years of steady employment, it's a bummer.  Schuyler was a character with so much potential, sigh.

I also remember that Trevor wanted Todd to be bisexual.

I do remember some WTF scenes with Todd and Vimal in 2011 where Todd was, like, kinda touchy flirty with him.  Definitely a point in the show when they were letting TSJ do whatever he wanted.

7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh man, Shane/Jack brings back some memories lol.

I'm sure I'm on record about this, but I never got on board the Shane/Jack thing.  One, because Andrew Trischitta was terrible.  Two, a "Can Todd And Rex Accept Their Gay Sons?!?!" story is my idea of a nightmare.  And three, they burned me so bad with the way they canned Kyle and Fish*, who like Schuyler had so much potential as characters, it was hard to get excited about the show trying to go there again, especially in a manner with preteens/teens where they could pussyfoot around it more and make it more about their parents.

* Relatedly, I'm sure I also said, when the rumors of Shane coming out were going around, that that would have opened up an opportunity to bring them back even if for a visit/closure.  As part of the extended Balsom/Morasco family via Sierra Rose, Kyle and Fish offering counsel to Shane or Gigi or Rex could have been interesting.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

Andrew Trischetta, man. He was bad. He improved on PP, but he was mediocre at best. I don't know why they replaced Carmen La Porto. As far as I could tell, they wanted a more physically imposing Jack for the bullying story, which was short-sighted at best. It's not like that story had Shane being beaten up every day. I think Carmen could have played it, and if he couldn't I doubt he would have been worse than Andrew.

Shack had potential in theory, but the idea became gross once Gigi "died." I would have been down for a Shane coming out story. I know there was a danger of it becoming all about Rex, but as low an opinion as I have of him, I don't see him freaking out about having a gay kid.

• Love 1