Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Julie Beckman's Older Sister

I watched this episode live, and forgot everything about it already. Maybe I have too many step-mom issues to take this story line seriously. Will watch again and hopefully bring somethingproductive to the discussion.

• Love 1

Was that Hannah Simone dressed like a child in the flashback scene because if not, that child actor is a spot on duplicate.

I think both plots were very obvious and while I enjoyed Jess in the bike race and the opening about the tangine and the french press, there wasn't much to this episode. 

• Love 4

I'm not a prude but I wish there was one episode where one of them actually met a women and it wasn't about only bringing them home to have sex with them. What happened to going on a few dates first? I thought this episode had some funny moments though.

• Love 3

I didn't enjoy it much. It's hard with a cast this size when they bring in additional people for an episode. The stuff with Nick being a slob seemed over the top & really not funny, especially the blood/sloppy joes and the pulp bowl.

I agree about kid Jess and kid Cece, especially the latter. That was the only scene I found interesting.

Not a fan of the actress playing Schmidt's boss either, so that probably didn't help with the enjoyment factor. 

ETA because Jake is not actually Nick

Edited by cleo

I like this ep a lot, and laughed out loud a few times.  Rob Reiner is always great, but now I can't get that stupid song out of my head!  But I will admit that him with the younger woman (is it realistic that a former sex addict can become a sex therapist?) was quite creepy.  And if my dad married a much younger woman, I wouldn't be referring to her as my step-mom, for sure!

I guess I'm confused about what Schmidt's job is, because I could have sworn it wasn't in creative Advertising.  At any rate, him brainstorming with the guys about the sponge was funny.  The best part was when Jess was out in the street, and all the bicyclists were going past her yelling "On your left"  "Your right"  "Right"  "Left".  And the eventual sponge commercial was hilarious; black & white just 'captured the moment', and the guy in the commercial was really good looking!

• Love 2

Yeah it definitely wasn't as strong as last week, but I still found some parts humorous - mostly the Rob Reiner parts.   For some reason, hearing him sing "She's so hiiggghhhhhhh" really tickled my funny bone!  And then Kaitlin Olson saying "Stop it! .....  because I'm going to fall in love with you all over again" was especially funny to me.

Yes, I did not care for that dark-haired actress when she was on The New Adventures of Old Christine, and I dislike her even more in this role as Schmidt's boss. 

• Love 1

I didn't enjoy it much. It's hard with a cast this size when they bring in additional people for an episode. The stuff with Jake being a slob seemed over the top & really not funny, especially the blood/sloppy joes and the pulp bowl.

Jake? Do you mean Nick? Jake is the actor's name, not the character's name. I was pretty grossed out by that scene. It probably didn't help that I was eating breakfast while watching.

I liked this one quite a bit. Although it was gross, I thought the slob stuff was hilarious. I loved when Schmidt said, "You unbelievable pig-person." I missed some of the lines in this opening, but I loved the energy and all the guys interacting.

Loved the scene where Schmidt is trying to get the guys to say the first thing that comes to their minds when he says sponge.

I became a big fan of Michaela Watkins after seeing her in Trophy Wife, so I was very happy to see her here. I hope she's a recurring character. But I, too, am confused by Schmidt's job. It seemed like he did something else before.

I've never watched It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and I don't know if I've seen Caitlin Olson in anything, but I thought she was great here. The brunch scene was so funny.

Loved when Jess is telling Cece about being under bleachers when Ashley and Jess's boyfriend are having sex -- "Have you ever seen sex from above, Cece? It's horrible. That's why God thinks it's a sin." Wait a minute. Did I get that right? If I did, then Jess was seeing the sex from below. I'll have to rewatch.

And, yes, the scene with the cyclists was fantastic.

The sponge commercial for Spongey McWipey was great.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1
I became a big fan of Michaela Watkins after seeing her in Trophy Wife, so I was very happy to see her here. I hope she's a recurring character. But I, too, am confused by Schmidt's job. It seemed like he did something else before.

She is in several episodes in season one. I think she is the president or CEO of his company. Something important.

Schmidt has worked at a Marketing firm since day one. He was the only guy in the office as early as the pilot. Then they hired that old guy last season who faked a heart attack. But yep, same job. 

Was that Hannah Simone dressed like a child in the flashback scene because if not, that child actor is a spot on duplicate.

Yes, it seemed to be Simone as child CeCe but some kid playing child Jess. Don't know why, maybe it was supposed to be a joke about how CeCe has always looked the same or matured faster than Jess, but they've had a kid playing child CeCe in previous flashbacks.

I've been enjoying this season quite a bit so far, somehow it's already a vast improvement over last season now that they've discarded the whole Nick and Jess thing. On the one hand, Nick seems to have devolved back into a 2-dimensional cartoon, but you know what? He's way funnier that way. The whole B plot with the sponge was hysterical. The commercial tag was great. 

• Love 1

Yes, it seemed to be Simone as child CeCe but some kid playing child Jess. Don't know why, maybe it was supposed to be a joke about how CeCe has always looked the same or matured faster than Jess, but they've had a kid playing child CeCe in previous flashbacks.

No, no... it's a young actress named Jaidan Jiron. She looks so much like Hannah Simone - it's crazy. She also has CeCe's mannerisms down.

• Love 6

I just started watching this show (I am binging on previous seasons via Netflix), but was stopped dead in my tracks when Jess mentioned being in high school in "the early 2000s." Girl, you are three months younger than me and I was out of high school by 1997.

When the bike racers were going by I also heard "bread and butter", which they used to say in old cartoons when two trains passed each other. I thought that was wonderfully obscure. Or do racers actually say that? According to the internet that was an old superstition people would say when they had to separate to go around something.

I just started watching this show (I am binging on previous seasons via Netflix), but was stopped dead in my tracks when Jess mentioned being in high school in "the early 2000s." Girl, you are three months younger than me and I was out of high school by 1997.

It was actually Julie Beckman's older sister who said the line about the "early 2000s."  And Kaitlin Olson is 5 years older than Zoey in real life! She's my age, actually, and I can confirm that high school was the early 90s--not the 2000s. 

But, apparently the characters they were playing were younger, so I guess that's that.    

• Love 1

The dad's girlfriend mentioned she redid senior year several times (maybe 5 times) and that's why she graduated in the early 2000's.  The rest of the characters are supposed to be early 30s (31-33??), and if I remember correctly from the prom episode, they graduated in 98 or 99.  I just remembered it being very close to my own high school graduation date.

• Love 1