Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/16/2024

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Sept. 16 – Lily Collins (actor, “Emily in Paris”)

Tuesday, Sept. 17 – Sebastian Maniscalco (comedian, “It Ain’t Right” actor “Bookie”); Dolly Parton and Rachel Dennison (authors, “Good Lookin’ Cookin’: A Year of Meals – A Lifetime of Family, Friends, and Food”)

Wednesday, Sept. 18 – Connie Chung (author, “Connie: A Memoir”)

Thursday, Sept. 19 – Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (author, “Something Lost, Something Gained: Reflections on Life, Love, and Liberty”); Will, Alexandra and Matthew Reeve (documentary, “Super/Man: A Christopher Reeve Story”)

Friday, Sept. 20 – Wilmer Valderrama (author, “An American Story: Everyone’s Invited”); Joan Vassos (ABC’s “The Golden Bachelorette”)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Emily in Paris is on Netflix. Sebastian Maniscalco stand-up comedian, touring. Super/Man: The Christopher Reeve Story is in theaters September 21 and September 25. The Golden Bachelorette will be on ABC beginning Wednesday, September 18. 

• Thanks 1

What is up with this show?  They spend the first segment discussing the assassination attempt.  Then they devote the next segment to Ben and Jen?  The third segment is a discussion about Kate Winslet's body and her sex drive during menopause.

With all due respect, the tone is completely off today.  I know they often go from political topics to Reddit ridiculousness but with an attempted assassination as the opening Hot Topic discussion, this is a jarring shift.  It's almost as if the Trump assassination attempt put a damper on their happy topic day.  It's like someone delivering a eulogy then taking the mic and doing a stand-up routine at the repast.  

The segments have different allotted minutes this season.  The first segment tends to go for 10 minutes then they come back with a 4-minute waste of time segment.  It's all over the place this year and I feel it's lost its flow.

Anna Delvey mea culpa.  Hey Whoopi remember when you defended Michael Vick after he was charged with animal cruelty?  He went to prison then later appeared on DWTS.  Two-Tier?  Sure thing.

• Like 2

I enjoyed their discussion in the first segment. I agreed with all of them, but particularly Sara that social media needs to be regulated because some people are just nuts. Like Alyssa said, all it takes is a person--or a group of people as the case may be--going one step further beyond rational behavior that takes everything to the next level. Stalking, hate speech, hate following, dogpile trolling, hacking, trying to silence people with opinions you don't like by means of digital intimidation tactics, etc.* It's all a type of violent force (some) people commit on social media platforms, even if they haven't quite reached the level of committing physical violence just yet. Even crazier when a complete monster convinces themselves that they're somehow "the good guy" or "the victim" while they're doing all those things. Incredible. Too bad it isn't easier for the police to jail these people in the early stages before it winds itself out to a shooting of some kind.

And anyway it's a complex discussion since gun control and mental illness are also sandwiched in there like Sunny and Ana said. I'm glad they didn't give it much focus considering political violence has been normalized like Ana pointed out by bringing up the bomb threats just a couple of days ago in response to things said in the presidential debate and death threats to Taylor Swift of all things. I suppose they just rolled all three things into one segment, but I wouldn't have minded the second two getting their own time. Maybe tomorrow when Joy's there?

* Unfortunately, I've experienced some of that myself the past two years, hard to explain... The only way to respond to that kind of darkness / terrorism is to refuse to allow it to stop you from saying what you would say or living your life exactly how you would anyway because power and control is all people like that are really after in the end. It was interesting to hear Alyssa talk about the fact that everyone on this show has probably received death threats (I know Sunny had been receiving them, since she'd talked about it a few months back). At the end of the day, it's a badge of honor if people target you in that way; light attracts darkness as they say. It means you're doing something right otherwise they wouldn't be that bothered.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
9 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I enjoyed their discussion in the first segment. I agreed with all of them, but particularly Sara that social media needs to be regulated because some people are just nuts.

This.  It used to be you were only exposed to crackpots if you were in a bar and some guy started rambling when he was drunk.  Or maybe a crazy relative at Thanksgiving dinner.  Even when the internet first happened you had to seek out the crazy.  Now with social media the crazy is in front of everyone.  And Sara is right the algorithms show the worst of the worst because negative posts get more engagement. 

Like Alyssa said, all it takes is a person--or a group of people as the case may be--going one step further beyond rational behavior that takes everything to the next level. Stalking, hate speech, hate following, dogpile trolling, hacking, trying to silence people with opinions you don't like by means of digital intimidation tactics, etc.* It's all a type of violent force (some) people commit on social media platforms, even if they haven't quite reached the level of committing physical violence just yet.

And it's just the fear of any of that happening that prevents people from speaking out. I mean for fuck sake an Ohio sheriff made a post saying he wants people to make a list of people with their addresses who have Harris/Walz signs.  That is intimidation. 

Even crazier when a complete monster convinces themselves that they're somehow "the good guy" or "the victim" while they're doing all those things

Yes the shooters in Buffalo and El Paso thought they were saving the "right people" from the "bad people".

I'm glad they didn't give it much focus considering political violence has been normalized like Ana pointed out by bringing up the bomb threats just a couple of days ago in response to things said in the presidential debate and death threats to Taylor Swift of all things.

Political violence hasn't only been normalized people have become desensitized to it.  The threats are some commonplace now people seem to just shrug when they hear about them.  When Alyssa said everyone at that table had been threatened I thought how things had changed so much.  When Barbara started the View I'm sure she didn't imagine the cohosts being threatened for stating their political views.

* Unfortunately, I've experienced some of that myself the past two years, hard to explain... The only way to respond to that kind of darkness / terrorism is to refuse to allow it to stop you from saying what you would say or living your life exactly how you would anyway because power and control is all people like that are really after in the end

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Good for you not letting that deter you from continuing to live your life the way you want.

At the end of the day, it's a badge of honor if people target you in that way; light attracts darkness as they say. It means you're doing something right otherwise they wouldn't be that bothered.

As John Lewis said "get in good trouble".

• Like 3

I read where the right is delighted about the continuing outrage re Haitians in Ohio. It distracts from their lack of real answers but keeps the conversation off of Kamala. And here’s the View spending their first segment on their outrage. Move along. Next topic. (And I understand that there is a lot of tension and fear in Springfield.)

2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

This.  It used to be you were only exposed to crackpots if you were in a bar and some guy started rambling when he was drunk.  Or maybe a crazy relative at Thanksgiving dinner.  Even when the internet first happened you had to seek out the crazy.  Now with social media the crazy is in front of everyone.  And Sara is right the algorithms show the worst of the worst because negative posts get more engagement. 

And it's just the fear of any of that happening that prevents people from speaking out. I mean for fuck sake an Ohio sheriff made a post saying he wants people to make a list of people with their addresses who have Harris/Walz signs.  That is intimidation. 

Yes the shooters in Buffalo and El Paso thought they were saving the "right people" from the "bad people".

Political violence hasn't only been normalized people have become desensitized to it.  The threats are some commonplace now people seem to just shrug when they hear about them.  When Alyssa said everyone at that table had been threatened I thought how things had changed so much.  When Barbara started the View I'm sure she didn't imagine the cohosts being threatened for stating their political views.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Good for you not letting that deter you from continuing to live your life the way you want.

As John Lewis said "get in good trouble".

Back in 2015, when Trump announced his candidacy, my brother told me he and his friends joked that Trump sounded like the guy at the end of the bar who is always bragging.  The type who is never taken seriously and someone to ignore.

When he descended that escalator in June of 2015 to announce his run, he talked about Mexicans being murderers and rapists.  People were outraged and he honestly looked taken aback when clients started cancelling bookings at his various resorts.  Initially, there was a huge backlash against his rhetoric because that was not who we were as a nation.  He persevered, found his niche and his following grew like a cancer.

Nine years later accusations like that against Mexicans and other ethnicities are just throwaway lines at one of his rallies.  He normalized hate.  Now he's going after the Haitian population and although there has been some blowback because of the "They're eating the dogs!  They're eating the cats!" accusation, it seems to be just another day in the US where Trump makes another outrageous accusation and we become a bit less civilized, a bit less empathetic and a bit less of who we were as a nation.

Trump and Vance should be ashamed of themselves.  They are responsible for the division in this country.  Real leaders know how to take down the temperature during a volatile situation.  Trump and Vance intentionally stoke the fires to the point they've set this country on fire.

• Fire 2
  • Applause 4

When they were showing the clip of Vance talking to the crowd, there was a lady who shouted "WHAT?!" in disbelief. I couldn't tell if that was someone from the View audience breaking through or if that was from the original clip? It made me laugh, whatever the case.

Dolly's sister looked so much like her! I always admire how humble Dolly tries to keep herself all these years into her career, it's the only way to live life well.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

When they were showing the clip of Vance talking to the crowd, there was a lady who shouted "WHAT?!" in disbelief. I couldn't tell if that was someone from the View audience breaking through or if that was from the original clip? It made me laugh, whatever the case.

Dolly's sister looked so much like her! I always admire how humble Dolly tries to keep herself all these years into her career, it's the only way to live life well.

I head that too.  And it was definitely someone from the original clip.   

(edited)

All for Sara wanting to sparkle for her birthday. But they could have put her in something way cuter than this. 😒

Screenshot 2024-09-18 111706.png

Edited by atomic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2JEWELL said:

Call me a party pooper, but I am sick of celebrating the host’s birthdays..

Didn't they drop Sara's cake on the floor last year?  Then they devoted like two-minutes to her segment, half of which was taken up explaining how they dropped her cake on the floor. It was like oh yeah, Happy Birthday whatever. 

I think the reason these celebrations have become so drawn out and elaborate is because they're stealth VYDs masquerading as products the birthday gal loves.  They're really nothing but paid promotions at this point.  That being said, Happy Birthday, Sara!!  🎂

I was surprised Alyssa had kind words about Sarah Sanders and said she’s not like that in private. Sorry, but a kind person who spews hateful speech?  That is who they are. The kind persona is the fake one. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 8
7 hours ago, atomic said:

All for Sara wanting to sparkle for her birthday. But they could have put her in something way cuter than this. 😒

Screenshot 2024-09-18 111706.png

When she was sitting down, I thought the top was cute, but the whole outfit together is underwhelming. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Didn't they drop Sara's cake on the floor last year?  Then they devoted like two-minutes to her segment, half of which was taken up explaining how they dropped her cake on the floor. It was like oh yeah, Happy Birthday whatever. 

I think the reason these celebrations have become so drawn out and elaborate is because they're stealth VYDs masquerading as products the birthday gal loves.  They're really nothing but paid promotions at this point.  That being said, Happy Birthday, Sara!!  🎂

Correction:  Alyssa's birthday cake was dropped on the floor.  For you Alyssa 🎂🎂🎂(Three, just in case.)