Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Morning Aftermath

Cranberry

Re: the Lauren secret pill thing, to quote Shane... I did not see THAT coming.

I rolled my eyes and was thinking, "On come on" when Lauren finds Amy's morning after box in the bathroom trash.  Really writers? You couldn't come up with something a bit more original? I know it's been done a million times before in TV/movies, but I certainly wouldn't leave a box openly out like that in the trash, you tear that sucker up into tiny little pieces and dispose of it, you wouldn't leave it out where someone else who shares the bathroom can blatantly see it! Hell, it wasn't even hidden under the tissues.That pissed me off. Amy was all about not letting her Liam secret out but just throws a box in the garbage like that. Nope.

And shut up Liam. Why do you feel the need to blab what happened? Just zip it ok? Why do I have a feeling that ain't going to happen?

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

Am I the only one who wants to see Liam unpixelated? Damn, they weren't kidding about Gregg having 6% body fat. Boy is ripped!!

Shane continues to be completely awesome

The season previews were great (finally shirtless Shane!! We'd better see him getting some action)

I just can't believe that Amy didn't shred the morning after box.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who wants to see Liam unpixelated? Damn, they weren't kidding about Gregg having 6% body fat. Boy is ripped!!

Shane continues to be completely awesome

I sure wouldn't mind some un-pixilated Liam!

Shane is always fun.He has the best lines and is a favorite of mine.

I also liked LAUREN'S reactions to seeing Shane and what'shisname outside.

This first ep was kind of meh.

Edited by Valny

I think the episode was good for what it was supposed to be. Basically like most premieres it is a time to reset everything and start anew.

Liked Amy's subtle jab at Liam when she said the comment about Karma's soulmate and then gestured at Liam as the other option.

Karma really hasn't changed after everything. She is still wanting to have it all. She also has no idea that there is a boundary between friends and lovers which is only confusing Amy more.

Poor Lauren. Definitely not the way a secret like  that should come out.

Will watch the ep again to see if I can remember all my thoughts on the ep.

• Love 1

I wish they had done a better job of showing Karma's anguish over her break up with Amy. I would have been happy to stretch the plotting of the premiere over two episodes.

If the premiere had given more time to Karma, I think it would have done a lot to alleviate feelings that Karma is still selfish. If the episode had ended when Karma spots Liam, Shane, and Lauren in the window, it might have been a better logical break. The next episode could have been a bottle episode where everyone is keeping secrets.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3

Amy's mom is so likable even while so in denial about her daughters sexuality. I don't think she hates homosexuals at all. I get the vibe that she's afraid what her daughter might end up going through when she explores her sexuality. It's probably the most realistic thing on the show. What I want to see is how she reacts to Lauren's secret. Lauren and Amy will end up feeling the same way because both seem to want approval from Farrah but Amy's to much of the type to speak up for herself mean while Lauren is willing to keep it a secret.

As for Karma, well I don't expect her to have the same feelings as Amy does with her. I won't hate her if she ends up straight but damn she needs to learn from her mistakes.

With Liam I might be the only person who is rooting for the writers to redeem him while everyone else either wants him to die or doesn't think he needs redeeming. lol It might be because I like the actor and he has really nice lips.

Shane is perfect and needs to never change. I wouldn't mind him screwing up with Amy or Liam once in a while but he's just amazing right now.

Turns out I still hate Karma, after saying she was sorry for ignoring Amy's wants and needs she still whines endlessly about how she feels that Amy is pulling away from her after 12 hours ? max? Resorting to stalking Amy after Amy's confession about being in love with her. Was I the only one shouting at Karma and telling her "GIVE HER A DAY". Even if Amy hadn't hooked up with Liam, Amy might have appreciated a day to recover from Karma's rejection. Typically when someone you love rejects you, it hurts for more than 12 hours. Otherwise you really didn't love them. Karma should have shown some appreciation for Amy's needs if she's supposed to be her best friend. It seems that Karma is only desperately clinging to Amy's friendship because she has no better option at the moment.

Liam is still attractive but mediocre. Shane and Lauren still amuse me thoroughly with their nonsense. The scene with Tommy escaping during Karma's terrible song... The moon in the sun ? terrible lyric. Was hilarious hijinks and the main reason I watch this show at all.

Farrah's reaction to Amy's supposed sexual conquests entertained me. I loved Farrah telling Amy about the value of a short safe word. Though typically when the other person's mouth is covered that's not really an option.

• Love 2

I was a little surprised that they didn't really explain what intersex means -- I'd believe Shane would already know, but the rest are unlikely to, and Amy came right out and asked but then they seemed to drop it? I doubt MTV trusts most of their demographic to know.

Amy's little outfit when she was at the drugstore was about the cutest thing I've ever seen. I also quite enjoyed Amy's point to her mother that apparently it's okay for her to be involved in some sort of BDSM sex dungeon escapades and sleeping with two dudes in one day, but not okay for her to like girls. A little on-the-nose, but still fun since this show isn't exactly gritty realism.

• Love 1

It WAS a bit jarring to go from the way things were left in the finale, to Karma immediately going back to her usual "Karma" self. Then again, I suppose the show was staying true to form...it was sort of like how after she freaked out at the threesome, the next day she acted like nothing & was busting out more life - coach binders for the handling of their break up.

I really enjoyed the fact that Amy was so honest with Karma about her continuing to not understand how her actions were affecting her. After the rejection I was afraid we'd be in for several episodes of Karma acting inappropriately while Amy looks mooney & allows her behavior to continue. I loved that she was like "dude...a romantic serenade? Really?"

Loved Shane & Lauren..."heck yeah I'll probably humiliate you again!...but not about this." Teehee

Loved last series. Loved this ep. My favorites (Shane and Lauren) keep getting better drawn -- plus, we got a lot of insight into what exactly was fueling Lauren's resentment last series. Sure, Karma is clueless and annoying, but her character helps drive the plot and Liam got about a billion times more interesting in this opening. The visual of the interrupted serenade had me laughing until I pulled a muscle.

I want Shane to be my best friend. This guy will kidnap someone and stage a BDSM dungeon to get revenge for you. He really goes the extra mile. I adore his relationship with Lauren I did not see her secret coming.

Karma is still grating and I agree with Shane that I don't get what Liam and Amy see in her. I loved the scenes between Amy and her mom. She is hilarious. I am hoping to see Amy find someone else this season and I'd like to see how Karma reacts to that. I really don't want Liam and Karma back together but keeping it a secret from Amy. It would be season one all over again.

• Love 1

I was a little surprised that they didn't really explain what intersex means -- I'd believe Shane would already know, but the rest are unlikely to, and Amy came right out and asked but then they seemed to drop it? I doubt MTV trusts most of their demographic to know.

Yeah, I was a little surprised by that too, especially since they included Tommy's misperception that she's a dude but then didn't really explain enough for it to be clear to viewers who don't already know why that was wrong. I'm guessing they'll address it more in the next episode or two.

I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to be interpreting Karma's motivations at this point. Is she in denial that she has romantic feelings for Amy, or is she just a clueless jerk who doesn't realize that big romantic gestures and speeches about being together forever might be confusing and/or painful for Amy? I get that she's afraid of losing their friendship and wants Amy to know how important she is to her, but you'd think she'd be trying to tread more carefully so as not to send her mixed messages.

• Love 2

It was funny that they had a Plan B commercial during the show. It's almost like product placement (I recoreded a later rerun, so maybe it didn't air with the original airing)!

I missed part of the first showing, so tuned in for the second, and noticed that both the beginning recap and trailer for upcoming episodes were different (longer in the first), so it wouldn't be surprising if both the show and ads were a bit different in the later time slot.

Farrah's reaction to Amy's supposed sexual conquests entertained me. I loved Farrah telling Amy about the value of a short safe word.

She must have read the same parenting book as Jim's dad in American Pie.

My concern with the intersex stuff is that it is often pretty darned complicated very personalized situation (as there are so many different factors that can lead to one being termed "intersex") so I really worry whether a silly MTV sitcom will be able to convey that complexity well. I tend to doubt it, but I have hopes! 

Here's my thing with Shane - I do like him, but I don't like that he seems to literally be unable to keep any secret. He's always nice about it, but he has given up EVERY secret told to him so far this series, so while I'm sure he doesn't think intersex is a thing to be ashamed about, I also don't see how anyone can trust that he won't STILL blab (not to be a jerk, but just because that's what he does). 

Is she in denial that she has romantic feelings for Amy, or is she just a clueless jerk who doesn't realize that big romantic gestures and speeches about being together forever might be confusing and/or painful for Amy?

I vote jerk. But she does it well.

Here's my thing with Shane - I do like him, but I don't like that he seems to literally be unable to keep any secret.

Maybe time for his character to grow then? I look forward to seeing the struggle.

She must have read the same parenting book as Jim's dad in American Pie.

*hee*

Faking It is a show which presents itself as being diverse in it's depiction of orientation and sexuality and yet, when it comes down to it, is a straight love story.  It is about a girl, an outcast, in love with the hot boy.  It is Awkward redux but offering sideshow PSA's while coaxing it's primary audience with how good the boy's abs look.  As Liam swings nude, hearts are supposed to flutter and no doubt they do.  Liam is played by a wooden actor who wears a perpetually sensitive look on his face.  See he cares.  He is a good guy at heart.  He has feelings which he proved while sensitively having sex with Karma.  He has feelings which he proves again after having sex with Amy and feeling bad about it.  A few months ago, Faking It premiered with an objectionable storyline about two girls pretending to be a lesbian couple so one could score the hottest boy at school.  The show's creator promised the show was much more than that.  He was right.  In the end, the boy deflowered both girls. 

So we are here.  Liam, caring and honest, wants desperately to tell Karma the truth.  He is her true love and a darling young man.  Amy, edging into psychotic facial reactions, is a manipulator and a liar, not worthy of Karma.  Liam's goodness is contrasted with Amy's deceitfulness.  Karma is shown to be thoughtful now.  She wants to retain a close friendship with Amy.  The show asserts the hope and truth in the straight couple while reducing the lesbian to a tokenistic presence who needs to get it together.  When Amy and her Mom have a talk late in the episode it feels like an afterschool special.  The lesbian character is here to present a message about diversity.  The gay male character continues his primary role of being a sounding board.  The cute boy and cute girl get the romance.  It is 2014 right?   

This would not be Faking It without indulging in some queerbaiting.  Karma serenades Amy and later they hug with Amy giving a look that says I am sad but still have hope.  I have a feeling they will tease this for about 5 seasons until that final episode where, as Karma marries Liam, Amy says I knew you two were meant to be together forever.  Late in the episode, there appears an MTV commercial which talks about MTV's hunks.  Liam meet Matty.  The characters are interchangeable.

So now it becomes a waiting game.  The 5 minutes of Amy and some one episode girl will surely occur.  A lot more queer baiting will occur.  Liam will be hurt because crazy eyed lesbian Amy, that obstacle standing in the place of true straight love, is making him lie to the sweet Karma.   Shane will have more caring one on one talks. 

Thank God for Lauren played by the ever the amazing Bailey De Young!  Will the show do right by the character of Lauren.   I wish I could say so.  But on a show which focuses on the worship of a straight man while ridiculing his romantic rival, a lesbian, is that to be expected?  I am not holding my breath. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 4

Amy, edging into psychotic facial reactions, is a manipulator and a liar, not worthy of Karma.  

I'm pretty sure that's not what they're going for there.  It's a comedy.

Unrelatedly, I wanted to hear the rest of Karma's song.

• Love 1
Amy, edging into psychotic facial reactions, is a manipulator and a liar, not worthy of Karma.

I personally don't want Amy and Karma to get together because I don't think Karma deserves Amy even as a friend. Karma's been shown to be little other than endlessly selfish, self involved and a liar and a manipulator that only likes people when they improve her social standing. She snubbed her parents until they proved to be popular. Her only apparent motive for liking Liam is because he's hot and popular. She insists that her friend help her lie to the entire school dragging her into a fake relationship that she publicizes for her own benefit. Then she learns that her friend is in LOVE WITH HER and gives her not even 12 hours to get over that rejection before stalking her, serenading her with an oddly worded song and asking her to grow old with her . Karma would make a terrible girlfriend. It'd be all about her all the time. 

• Love 2

I found it really hard to care about the characters this episode. Not Amy and definitely not Liam and Karma. The show also went super ridiculous with the Tommy kidnapping and it also looked kind of different. I don't know how to explain it but there were scenes with this super bright, washed out look to them. I also think Lauren might have been wearing less makeup in some of those scenes. The most interesting thing that happened was the revelation that Lauren is intersex. I did not see that coming. I was expecting it to have something to do with an eating disorder or some kind of Jessie Spano caffeine pill nonsense. Not sure how I feel about it. I'm willing to go with it if they take the time to develop it and treat it seriously (not like after school special serious but with more care and logic than they've done with the Liam/Karma/Amy thing). It kind of goes to a trope I don't really like which is the idea that every bully has their own secret. Overplay it and it's Karofsky on Glee. I think it detracts from the conversation and helps distract from the other reasons people have for animosity and fear and it's an easy way to not solve actual problems. Not that thrilled by the "this season on" clips. The show has some nice lines but they aren't always delivered that well and overall, it's still not willing to commit. It wants to be the typical teen soap and yet it also wants to be crazy ridiculous. And I know most teen soaps want that but they're able to strike a better balance. When Glee is ridiculous it is sentimental and melodramatic which fits with the heartfelt moments that are also sentimental and melodramatic. Faking It wants to have Tommy being kidnapped but doesn't play it crazy enough and then they want to pull back and try to have you care about the characters. 

On the plus side, I liked Karma's song. 

Faking It wants to have Tommy being kidnapped but doesn't play it crazy enough and then they want to pull back and try to have you care about the characters.

Personally I've always looked at Faking It as taking place in a hyper-reality.  Liam and Shane both being well versed partiers and sluts while sophomores in highschool, Lauren being Lauren, it all plays as hyper-reality to me which I am okay with, most sitcoms do.

I get what they are going for with Karma, she is a young immature girl who doesn't want to lose her best friend, she doesn't really have an adult way to handle this.  That's fine.  My main issue is that it is the same circle there.  If you have established that it is a person in love with a friend who doesn't love them back, then you have to move on.  But I think one of the big premises of the show is will they or won't they...and no, I don't think the show has shown that they should or ever would  

So it is the hyper-reality shindigs with kidnapping Tommy and Amy's mom that then keep me entertained.

Edited by Atony
  • Love 1

Liam and Shane both being well versed partiers and sluts while sophomores in highschool, Lauren being Lauren, it all plays as hyper-reality to me which I am okay with, most sitcoms do.

I think season 1 came across as more like a slightly crazier version of Awkward (on Awkward I think the personalities are big but the things that happen aren't that outside of the ordinary where on Faking It it's the opposite) when it should have been Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 or Mean Girls. I didn't get enough of the hyper reality. I think the performances are largely to blame but it's probably a combination of everything... acting, writing, directing/the way it's filmed, etc. Hyper reality doesn't always work but if you want to have a chance, you've got to commit to it and sell it. Personally whether they were restrained by the higher ups or they restrained themselves, I don't think Faking It went far enough.