Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 7/15/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, July 15 – Natalie Portman (actress, “Lady in the Lake”); Ladies Get Lit

Tuesday, July 16 – Ken Jeong (actor, “My Spy the Eternal City”); Ladies Get Lit

Wednesday, July 17 – The Political View with Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.); Shaquille O’Neal (host, “Lucky 13”); Ladies Get Lit

Thursday, July 18 – Glen Powell and Daisy Edgar-Jones (actors, “Twisters”); Ladies Get Lit

Friday, July 19 – Kerry Washington and Delroy Lindo (actors, “UnPrisoned”)

• Thanks 6

Lady in the Lake is a seven episode miniseries series on Apple TV beginning Friday, July 19.

My Spy the Eternal City is a movie that will be released Prime video on Thursday, July 18. 

Lucky 13 Is a prime time game show on ABC beginning Thursday, July 18.

Twisters Is a movie that will be released in theaters on Friday, July 19.

The second season of UnPrisoned premieres Wednesday, July 17 on Hulu.

• Like 1

Joy is in for Whoopi.

We begin with van Gogh's tale of woe.

Joy said it was political.  I'm not so sure about that.

Alyssa:   Inflammatory rhetoric is rewarded.  Well Alyssa, you can thank Trump for that.

Ana:  Quick canned sentence saying she is glad Trump is okay then quickly swivels to the victim who was killed at the rally and makes it political by going after white men.  Once again, I don't think this was political.

Sara:  Interrupted and cut off again, finally tells them to politely shut up (in so many words.)

Joy:  Shooter was a Republican.  

Back from break and Joy is now saying we don't know the shooter's motives.  Someone got a talking-to during the break.

Sunny:  Gun control and Stats-R-Us.  

Alyssa:  SS failings.

Joy:  Deceased celebs - Dr. Ruth, Richard Simmons, Shannen Doherty and Shelley Duvall.   You forgot Dave Loggins.  Why does everyone forget Dave Loggins???  And....Jacoby Jones, a football player who passed away over the weekend.

LOL, the music they're using to play out to commercial is somber in memoriam music.  This isn't the Academy Awards for goodness sake.

Natalie Portman:  Lady in the Lake.  Better than a Trump supporter in the stands.

Ana:  "yass, qween" Second mention of drag queens.  Natalie goes deep on drag queens.

Sunny:  Star Wars fanatic.  I did not know that.  Natalie may return to the fold.

Joy:  Natalie's charitable organizations.  It's called football, dammit!  Men vs women's salaries in sports.  Well, you have to bring in the big bucks in order to make the big bucks.

Alyssa:  Barbie.  Flashback to summer 2023.  "Mommy what is the patriarchy?"  Kind of thankful Barbie didn't mention tampons or STDs.

Natalie and co-star of Lady in the Lake, Moses Ingram:  Oh, Moses is a female. 

Sara and Moses bond over sibling love.  Ana, not so much.

More Star Wars talk and Ivy League educations.  One of these is not like the other.

Moses' face tattooed on a fan's body.  This is quite the eclectic conversation save for the repetitive Star Wars adulation.

VYD:  Gretta.  Whenever they have a bed on set or a duvet of some sort, overworked Sara and Sunny try to lie down and take a nap.  Are there no middle-age women labor laws?  

Ana on the podcast.

I’m sure Natalie P is a lovely person but she was so boring I ended up turning the show off. I had more important things to attend to.

Thoughts and prayers to You Know Who. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Anna has annoyed me so much I just turned it off at the second break. What planet is she on saying that she fled political violence and that the USA has never had any such thing happen or whatever she said that intimated such a thing when there have been numerous political figures, both presidents & people running for president assassinated in the country going back hundreds of years. Did she just pluck that out of her ass?

Also Alyssa is becoming less & less anti Trump every day, she is so obviously trying to play both sides so whoever gets in she can say she supported them. 

Edited to add that Sunny is correct in as much as things like this will encourage people to get guns rather than deter them. Even I as a British person who is allergic to all things gun related have gone & got my "firearms safety certificate" which is the first step to owning a gun here in CA, not because of what happened to Trump but because I have been worried that I might need to defend myself if things get much worse.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

Since everyone said how glad they were that the assassination attempt failed, and expressed their sorrow for the family of the spectator that was killed, I wonder if any of the ladies will dial back on their comments about Trump, and bring the commentary back to a place where political differences can be discussed in a calm and nuanced way (particularly Sunny, Ana, and Joy).

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Since everyone said how glad they were that the assassination attempt failed, and expressed their sorrow for the family of the spectator that was killed, I wonder if any of the ladies will dial back on their comments about Trump, and bring the commentary back to a place where political differences can be discussed in a calm and nuanced way (particularly Sunny, Ana, and Joy).

They will for a week or two at most. 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I don't think Ana came across as genuine at all.  Her statement about Trump was tepid at best and it had a hostage reading a message vibe to it.  

• Like 2

Okay, unpopular opinion but Joy needs to retire.  The fact that she kept cutting Sarah off when she was saying that most Americans hadn't experienced this level of political violence before was super annoying.  I get that Joy lived through the 60s and can vividly remember when there was an attempt on Reagan, but the majority of American adults today do not.  The 60s were sixty years ago.  Reagan was forty-three.  So yes, for the majority of Americans (myself included, I'm 42), this is the worst its been.  And this isn't a one off.  Joy's been doing this for years, bringing up stuff that's so old (how they didn't discuss periods when she was in school 70 years ago, for example) that it's no longer relevant to the discussion.  

Also, if they're going to discuss gun control, then they need to get someone who actually knows something about guns on the show.  The fact that they were shocked by the shooter having bought 50 rounds just shows how uneducated they are about firearms.  I'm not a gun person at all and even I know that that's the amount that comes in a small box of ammo. 

Did they do the Ladies Get Lit segment today?  I only watch the clips on youtube and nothing about that was posted.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
23 minutes ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

I don't think Ana came across as genuine at all.  Her statement about Trump was tepid at best and it had a hostage reading a message vibe to it.  

I am not an Ana fan at all but you won't find me saying things I don't think or feel.  And I will just leave it at that.

49 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

They haven't said anything that isn't being said all over the place. If anything they are milder than a lot of cable shows.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Thoughts and prayers to You Know Who. 

According to some people he doesn't need them because he is someone's favorite.

6 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

The fact that she kept cutting Sarah off when she was saying that most Americans hadn't experienced this level of political violence before was super annoying.  I get that Joy lived through the 60s and can vividly remember when there was an attempt on Reagan, but the majority of American adults today do not.  The 60s were sixty years ago.  Reagan was forty-three.  So yes, for the majority of Americans (myself included, I'm 42), this is the worst its been.  And this isn't a one off.  Joy's been doing this for years, bringing up stuff that's so old (how they didn't discuss periods when she was in school 70 years ago, for example) that it's no longer relevant to the discussion.  

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

• Like 7
  • Applause 8
7 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Did they do the Ladies Get Lit segment today? 

No.

1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

I am not an Ana fan at all but you won't find me saying things I don't think or feel.  And I will just leave it at that.

Same. Which is why I deleted my original comment above.

8 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

The fact that she kept cutting Sarah off when she was saying that most Americans hadn't experienced this level of political violence before was super annoying.  I get that Joy lived through the 60s and can vividly remember when there was an attempt on Reagan, but the majority of American adults today do not.  The 60s were sixty years ago.  Reagan was forty-three.  So yes, for the majority of Americans (myself included, I'm 42), this is the worst its been.  And this isn't a one off.  Joy's been doing this for years, bringing up stuff that's so old (how they didn't discuss periods when she was in school 70 years ago, for example) that it's no longer relevant to the discussion.  

I get what you're saying, but that is history. I wasn't alive when Lincoln was assassinated, or when both President Kennedy and Robert Kennedy were. I was wee when Reagan was. Yet  I know about Lincoln, the Kennedys, Martin Luther King, Jr., etc.

I liken what Sara was saying "a long time ago" to a certain former host who said she didn't know about Watergate because "she wasn't born then" and Paul Begala came back with "I wasn't alive during the French Revolution, but I know what it was."

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4
16 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Okay, unpopular opinion but Joy needs to retire.  The fact that she kept cutting Sarah off when she was saying that most Americans hadn't experienced this level of political violence before was super annoying.  I get that Joy lived through the 60s and can vividly remember when there was an attempt on Reagan, but the majority of American adults today do not.  The 60s were sixty years ago.  Reagan was forty-three.  So yes, for the majority of Americans (myself included, I'm 42), this is the worst its been.  And this isn't a one off.  Joy's been doing this for years, bringing up stuff that's so old (how they didn't discuss periods when she was in school 70 years ago, for example) that it's no longer relevant to the discussion.  

I think that Joy's comments about past assassinations and attempts were reasonable, but not allowing Sara to finish talking wasn't. Would it have been too hard to allow Sara to say what she had to say and then add something like, "This reminds me so much of the 60's when we saw assassinations and shootings against politicians and public figures"? Certainly, no one would like a return of that. 

16 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

They haven't said anything that isn't being said all over the place. If anything they are milder than a lot of cable shows.

Maybe they aren't as bad as others, but why contribute to the already overheated rhetoric that can lead to things like this shooting? 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be educated about history but when Sarah is trying to make the point that for most Americans living today, this is a new low and Joy chimes in with "Not for me!", it's annoying.  Knowing something happened in the past and experiencing it for yourself are two different things and Joy needs to acknowledge that.

• Like 3

I think that Joy's comments about past assassinations and attempts were reasonable, but not allowing Sara to finish talking wasn't. Would it have been too hard to allow Sara to say what she had to say and then add something like, "This reminds me so much of the 60's when we saw assassinations and shootings against politicians and public figures"? Certainly, no one would like a return of that. 

Maybe they aren't as bad as others, but why contribute to the already overheated rhetoric that can lead to things like this shooting? 

so they should have just ignored the topic? they talked about it and then went on with the other topics/guests scheduled.  it's not like they abandoned all that and spent the whole hour on it

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I would rather they say what they think.

• Like 12
4 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Knowing something happened in the past and experiencing it for yourself are two different things and Joy needs to acknowledge that.

I was in 7th grade when Reagan was shot.  Upon hearing the news that he was OK I didn't think it was a big deal. Till I saw my teacher grabbing a radio and listening intently to the news.  He of course had lived through the assassinations in the 60s and knew the upheaval they cause.  It's not a bad thing for those who have lived through things to tell those who have not what their experience was.  Maybe Joy was rude for interrupting Sara but I understand Joy's mindset during this tumultuous time.

• Like 16

Sara comes off as very naïve to me. Very wishful thinking on her part to think that because Trump went through this experience he will be a changed man. Nonsense. I remember after Trump's first SOTU speech where he (Trump) acted somewhat normal and Van Jones tearfully said on CNN:  "He became President today." Yeah, I wonder how many times Van has had to eat those words.

I follow Ana on IG and noticed she didn't post anything after the shooting.  She had to be very measured, as she was today.  Just as I, like a lot of others, are not saying exactly what we are thinking.

• Like 11
  • Applause 9

LOLed at Alyssa's "Listen more, speak less" solution to the vitriolic political rhetoric problem of the last 10 years. Considering she gets twice the speaking time as anyone else, maybe she should start?

To Sara's point, I was happy that Ana reminded her of Paul Pelosi, January 6th, the plot over Gretchen Whitmer, Gabby Giffords, Scalise, etc., since they apparently slipped her mind.

• Like 6
  • Applause 12
13 hours ago, KittyQ said:

That would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

13 hours ago, Shrek said:

They will for a week or two at most. 

...or until Whoopi returns 🙄

• Like 2
11 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I would rather they say what they think.

That would be fine if they hadn't already said what they think ad nauseum. 

10 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Very wishful thinking on her part to think that because Trump went through this experience he will be a changed man. Nonsense.

Well, he's calling for unity, so let's give him a chance before we condemn him. Sometimes a near death experience can and does change a person.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

To Sara's point, I was happy that Ana reminded her of Paul Pelosi, January 6th, the plot over Gretchen Whitmer, Gabby Giffords, Scalise, etc., since they apparently slipped her mind.

I listen to the podcast and Sara when talking about what might be considered "fluff" topics is OK.  Although she does get choked up a lot.  But when they talk about serious political issues for every good point she makes there are many other points that miss the mark.  She isn't like a former blond (actually two) cohost (s) who thought they were way smarter than they actually were but you can tell she wants to be thought of us as more than the host that knows the fluff topics.  So while I give her credit for trying to keep up she doesn't quite make it.

6 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Well, he's calling for unity, so let's give him a chance before we condemn him. Sometimes a near death experience can and does change a person.

3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

And sometimes it doesn't.

I think we know the answer now.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 10
1 hour ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Sunny:  Motive for shooter?  "50 rounds of ammunition"  It's a box of ammo.  Do you buy one potato chip, Sunny?

Right? It isn't as though they sell ammunition on a piece basis. Imagine: "I'd like one bullet, please". 

It is obvious that Sunny as well as others is trying to make this purchase sound as though the shooter bought the equivalent of an armory. If the shooter was going to the shooting range, as he apparently told his father, this would have been a reasonable amount to buy. I've known people who go target shooting who shoot multiples of that amount in one day. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Right? It isn't as though they sell ammunition on a piece basis. Imagine: "I'd like one bullet, please". 

It is obvious that Sunny as well as others is trying to make this purchase sound as though the shooter bought the equivalent of an armory. If the shooter was going to the shooting range, as he apparently told his father, this would have been a reasonable amount to buy. I've known people who go target shooting who shoot multiples of that amount in one day. 

I wonder why they don't focus on the homemade explosives they found in the shooter's car and at his parent's residence.  I would think that would be a more important topic of conversation at this point because, had he been successful, it points to mass casualties.  

I suppose it's because they want to push their gun control talking points and a homemade bomb does not fall under the second amendment. Their continued shock over the fact he was able to legally buy 50 rounds of ammunition highlights their ignorance on this topic.  If you're going to debate a topic you should be fully knowledgeable in order to defend your side of the argument.

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

I wonder why they don't focus on the homemade explosives they found in the shooter's car and at his parent's residence.  I would think that would be a more important topic of conversation at this point because, had he been successful, it points to mass casualties. 

I read somewhere that the authorities think the explosives were there to possibly use as a distraction.

• Like 1

The bullet thing would be 2 boxes of rifle bullets as they're usually 20-25 a box for rifles & 50 in a box for hand guns. So yeah Sunny needs to shut up about it because it's not like he went & bought a whole arsenal of ammunition that morning. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I read somewhere that the authorities think the explosives were there to possibly use as a distraction.

Thanks Gemma, I didn't realize that.  They still have no motive but I'm wondering if this was more about his shooting abilities (or lack thereof) vs any sort of political beliefs.  He was supposedly a very unskilled marksman and a joke among his rifle club schoolmates.  Maybe he thought scoring the ultimate kill would show everyone.   

• Sad 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

That makes no sense if the dark lord was his intended target as the first thing that the SS would do is cover him and there would be zero chance of getting to him then. 

(edited)

I wonder if they’ve been filming the Lit segments but are holding off until there isn’t as much news to discuss. Maybe they think those 5 mins (or whatever) are better served during hot topics?

Edited by Haleth
17 hours ago, Haleth said:

I wonder if they’ve been filming the Lit segments but are holding off until there isn’t as much news to discuss. Maybe they think those 5 mins (or whatever) are better served during hot topics?

I think it's either that or some of them had anti-Trump books on their lists (Joy and Sunny usually have one political pick) and they figured it might not have been the best optics to promote those so close to the shooting.  

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

I think it's either that or some of them had anti-Trump books on their lists (Joy and Sunny usually have one political pick) and they figured it might not have been the best optics to promote those so close to the shooting.  

I read all the books about Trump and I don't think any would be classified as "anti Trump?  Are there books that tell the truth about him? Yes.  I don't think that is why they haven't done the segments.  

• Like 4
Just now, bluegirl147 said:

I read all the books about Trump and I don't think any would be classified as "anti Trump?  Are there books that tell the truth about him? Yes.  I don't think that is why they haven't done the segments.  

Maybe it's because I'm British but I don't understand why they would do something like that just because someone got shot at, it doesn't suddenly make someone a good person & what they've done in the past any different just because their ear got scratched. Or does it? 

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
3 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Maybe it's because I'm British but I don't understand why they would do something like that just because someone got shot at, it doesn't suddenly make someone a good person & what they've done in the past any different just because their ear got scratched. Or does it? 

That is my point.  So now the View cohosts are supposed to not feel the way they felt before the shooting?

• Like 10
16 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

That is my point.  So now the View cohosts are supposed to not feel the way they felt before the shooting?

Feeling and saying aren't always the same thing. They may feel strongly negative about DT, but not saying things that might be inflammatory is probably a good idea. Also, it didn't seem to me that anyone on the show has changed their view of him. 

• Like 5

Feeling and saying aren't always the same thing. They may feel strongly negative about DT, but not saying things that might be inflammatory is probably a good idea. Also, it didn't seem to me that anyone on the show has changed their view of him. 

I don't think they have ever said anything that I would consider inflammatory.  I get wanting to lower the temperature but I don't think the View raises the temperature.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Joy criticizing DT saying "Fight, fight, fight" right after he was shot - I have to wonder how Joy would react if she was shot and nearly killed. What would she say? I don't think you can criticize what a shooting victim says moment after the incident. Personally, I thought (until I heard the audio) that he might have been using another F-word - and I wouldn't have blamed him. (Again, not a DT fan here - I just think that you need to give people space in the midst of a life-threatening crisis)

Edited by KittyQ
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Applause 3
13 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Joy criticizing DT saying "Fight, fight, fight" right after he was shot - I have to wonder how Joy would react if she was shot and nearly killed. What would she say? I don't think you can criticize what a shooting victim says moment after the incident. Personally, I thought (until I heard the audio) that he might have been using another F-word - and I wouldn't have blamed him. (Again, not a DT fan here - I just think that you need to give people space in the midst of a life-threatening crisis)

I'm past positive that he WAS saying the F-word & I'd bet my pension that they quickly  "translated" it to a more MAGA-friendly word.  LOL.

• Like 6
36 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Joy criticizing DT saying "Fight, fight, fight" right after he was shot - I have to wonder how Joy would react if she was shot and nearly killed. What would she say?

So what?  Who cares?

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
On 7/16/2024 at 10:32 AM, KittyQ said:

Wonder how the ammo vending machines in Alabama, Texas or Oklahoma dispense it.  Great idea said no one ever.

Responding to @bluegirl147, I don't think they are inflammatory either.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

I don't think they have ever said anything that I would consider inflammatory.  I get wanting to lower the temperature but I don't think the View raises the temperature.

What I feel they're trying to avoid (if they even had any books that would fall into this category, which they might not, this is all hypothetical) is the scenario of Joy having a book that makes the case for why Trump shouldn't be president (or a book that she feels ties in to that) and her saying something along the lines of "This man is a threat to democracy and must be stopped".  Pre-shooting, not a big deal at all.  Two days after he was shot, people would jump all over it and say she's encouraging violence.  

I don't think for one moment that they expect anyone to stop criticizing Trump (nor should they) but I think everyone is being very careful right now not to say anything that's going to blow up on Twitter and by next week, things will probably be a little more back to normal. 

And as I said, this is just be guessing.  It's also possible that they just didn't think such a light segment was appropriate after such a serious event or that people would be so distracted by the news that they wouldn't really pay attention to the book recommendations.  

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Joy tends to get pretty heated but I doubt her rhetoric is going to inflame any would be shooters. 

Many shooters are mentally unstable and paranoid, so anything can set them off.  If the ladies of the View want to be taken seriously, they should focus on analyzing the policies of each side. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Joy is turning into a petulant child in her old age. She always has to have her way, otherwise she will talk over you until you agree with her.

So now she's criticizing Vance, showing clips of what he previously said. IMO, he didn’t say anything more egregious that ANY person would say about their (then) opponent. What about all the negative things that Kamala said about Biden during their previous debate? I suppose it’s okay for Kamala, but not Vance? What a hypocrite!

And Joy, all that negativity stopped once Biden announced Kamala as his running mate. This is the exact same thing that Vance is doing...standing behind his party.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2