Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 6/17/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, June 17 – Kevin Costner (actor, director, producer and writer, “Horizon: An American Saga – Chapter 1”)

Tuesday, June 18 – Rachel Maddow (podcast, “Ultra”)

Wednesday, June 19 – “The View” celebrates Juneteenth; Taraji P. Henson (author, “You Can Be a Good Friend (No Matter What!)”); Patti LaBelle; Kool & The Gang performs

Thursday, June 20 – Dr. Anthony Fauci (author, “On Call: A Doctor’s Journey in Public Service”); Jessica Alba (actor, “Trigger Warning”)

Friday, June 21 – Eva Longoria (actor, “Land of Women”); Anthony Michael Hall (actor, “Trigger Warning”)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Generally speaking, it would be nice if media sources were more obvious. During the View, I miss the source or the source is not announced until the end of the segment. PS: Horizon in theaters starting Thursday, Trigger Warning movie starting Friday on Netflix and Land of Women mini-series on Apple+ starting the following Wednesday, June 26. 

• Like 1

Yes, immigrants have replaced and devalued jobs which AA formerly held.  Ask any former AA construction worker in California.  Certain industries which used to pay well are no longer tenable for middle class AA Americans.

Let's waste an entire segment telling a cat treat joke.   Well, the segment did start out about the pope and ended with "Temptations"  

Whoopi brings out her Celie smile for Kevin Costner.  Kevin refuses to kiss Whoopi's pope ring, recently purchased at the Vatican gift shop.

These women are falling all over Costner.  Sunny you're a married woman for goodness sake.  The only one who has some decorum is Alyssa and it's probably because she just sees an old man sitting at the table.

Costner looks so bored but he knows how to play the game.

Sara's possessed hair refuses to be exorcised.  Sunny is her hair muse now it all makes sense.

Sunny looks good in glasses.

A crew member married her girlfriend.  Congrats!

• Like 4

Bring cynical this morning.

It sounds like Horizon is really good and/or Costner is appreciated by his peers, and/or maybe they feel empathy or sorry for his divorce $  woes and conflict with Taylor Sheridan.

I did like Yellowstone, the baseball movie,  and loved Bull Durham.

Costner said he doesn't "fall out of love".... and I'm thinking,  hmm 2 or 3 ex-wives? 

It does seem like he and Jewel wd be good together with their western/cowboy interests. 

• LOL 1

"The monkey is out of the cage."  Pearls of Wisdom by Whoopi Goldberg.

Rachel Maddow feels The View conversations "are getting smarter and smarter and smarter" which means Rachel is getting dumber and dumber and dumber.

Trump. Trump.  Trump.  Trump.  Trump.  It might have been somewhat entertaining if they brought out a Trump Colorforms and changed his outfit with each new Trump topic.

More Trump.   Joe Biden is God.  More Trump.  Project 2025.  More Trump.  Rigged elections.  (Well, that's a new Trump topic.  Said no one.)  More Trump.  Supreme Court.  Immunity.  More Trump.  Probation.  More Trump.  Clarence Thomas and his stone cold fox of a wife, Ginni.

Three segments for the fast-talker.  Podcast.  Congress and Nazis sitting in a tree.  K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

Whoopi tells the audience they need to know history.  Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

Do we become less gracious as we age?  Going my posts I'd say yes.

Whoopi got her hands on some black beauties.   Go back to the weed, please.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3

I love Rachel Maddow. She has such a wonderful way of weaving a (historical) story and then tying it to current events. I was at an event where she spoke at a local college some time ago and she was brilliant. 

• Like 20
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Whoopi tells the audience they need to know history.  Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

The thing about history is that there is so much of it! You can become well-informed about one topic or era but be completely ignorant of another one or even some aspect of something you are familiar with. You can't rely of schools (especially public schools) to provide in-depth (or even superficial) coverage of everything and everybody. Heck, they can't even manage to teach English and Math to a deep degree. You have to seek this stuff out for yourself. 

And - don't blame people if they don't know the same information that you know. Share the knowledge, don't assume that they are deliberately ignoring something. 

Edited by KittyQ
Added another thought.
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
4 hours ago, KittyQ said:

The thing about history is that there is so much of it! You can become well-informed about one topic or era but be completely ignorant of another one or even some aspect of something you are familiar with. You can't rely of schools (especially public schools) to provide in-depth (or even superficial) coverage of everything and everybody. Heck, they can't even manage to teach English and Math to a deep degree. You have to seek this stuff out for yourself. 

And - don't blame people if they don't know the same information that you know. Share the knowledge, don't assume that they are deliberately ignoring something. 

It's not that I blame Whoopi for not knowing certain aspects of history (for lack of a better term).  I blame Whoopi for refusing to acknowledge the fact she does not know, nor does she understand certain aspects of history.  Does the Holocaust debacle ring a bell?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
(edited)

During the first segment, they talked about the government limiting social media and parents limiting screen time. Whoopi said that one of the things she liked during the pandemic was that we were forced to talk to our families; we couldn't call them. 🤔🤔🤔 ummmm...wasn't that quite the contrary. We couldn't visit or talk to our families in person, we had to call them or zoom with them. If anything, screen time increased during the pandemic!

And why did Sunny use a mean girl tone when she said "Stormy says he's (Trump) afraid of sharks."....aren't we all afraid of sharks!

About the podcast: I love Alyssa as a cohost, but I hate when she's on the podcast because Brian sticks to serious political topics with her. He does fun topics with the other ladies, but listening when she's on is not fun!

Edited by Blissfool
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

During the first segment, they talked about the government limiting social media and parents limiting screen time. Whoopi said that one of the things she liked during the pandemic was that we were forced to talk to our families; we couldn't call them. 🤔🤔🤔 ummmm...wasn't that quite the contrary. We couldn't visit or talk to our families in person, we had to call them or zoom with them. If anything, screen time increased during the pandemic!

And why did Sunny use a mean girl tone when she said "Stormy says he's (Trump) afraid of sharks."....aren't we all afraid of sharks!

About the podcast: I love Alyssa as a cohost, but I hate when she's on the podcast because Brian sticks to serious political topics with her. He does fun topics with the other ladies, but listening when she's on is not fun!

During yesterday's looooong cat treats joke, I thought it was weird when she mentioned her daughter placed the treats on her night-table.  The last I heard Whoopi mention anything about her, she made it sound as if she lived in LA. 

I know she spoke recently of attending a great(?) granddaughter's school event but I never assumed multi-generations of the family were back on the east coast.  So her daughter has been living with her since at least lock-down or just possibly house-sitting while she was in Rome?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

It's not that I blame Whoopi for not knowing certain aspects of history (for lack of a better term).  I blame Whoopi for refusing to acknowledge the fact she does not know, nor does she understand certain aspects of history.  Does the Holocaust debacle ring a bell?

I agree with you. Her attitude about the Holocaust was worse than uninformed - I think she never recognized that her perspective was so narrow. Now, she seems to be taking the position that it is other people who are not bothering to "learn history", and not acknowledging that a complete understanding of world history is a vast undertaking and most people will never accomplish it.

• Like 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

So her daughter has been living with her since at least lock-down or just possibly house-sitting while she was in Rome?

Maybe she was cat-sitting ;)

(and eating Whoopi out of house and home as Whoopi claims her family always does)

Edited by Denize
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Whoopi said that one of the things she liked during the pandemic was that we were forced to talk to our families; we couldn't call them. 🤔🤔🤔 ummmm...wasn't that quite the contrary. We couldn't visit or talk to our families in person, we had to call them or zoom with them. If anything, screen time increased during the pandemic!

I know her one granddaughter was living with her. Maybe her daughter and the rest of her family were living with Whoopi during lockdown. Or maybe Whoopi just says dumb things.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

We should all be way more afraid of him than any sharks.

• Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 1

This Juneteenth show is just another pre-recorded VYD:  Celebrity Version.

You can buy Taraji P. Henson's children's book.

You can buy Patti La Belle's pancake and waffle mix.

You can buy Kool & the Gang's champagne.  It's "Le Kool."

Side note:  I don't ever want to see Whoopi attempt to pour waffle mix into a waffle maker ever again. .  Ever.  Again.  The day she puts out a cooking book  and promotes it on The View is the day I finally shoot my tv screen Elvis style.

Kool & the Gang:  "Providing the soundtrack to our Juneteenth celebration."  If you say so.  They also get to shill their champagne brand.

So they booked a bunch of black celebrities to shill their products and put it under the banner of Juneteenth.

Have a great day and take a little time to View our deals.

spacer.png

• LOL 2
15 hours ago, Blissfool said:

About the podcast: I love Alyssa as a cohost, but I hate when she's on the podcast because Brian sticks to serious political topics with her.

Maybe that is what Alyssa wants…?

• Like 2

I figured this was pre taped since they didn’t say anything about Willie Mays. Guess that’s what Whoopi’s joke about the audience looking familiar (again) was about.

I say it every time she’s on - Patti LaBelle is a national treasure. And I always enjoy Taraji. 

• Like 5

Shallow comment - Taraji Henson's dress makes her breasts look strange. Why did the designer decide to make that one shoulder dip so low??

They're talking like The Color Purple (2023) was a hit, when, although it did very well on opening day, it only grossed $60 million in the U.S., and ended up losing the studio $40 million.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Shallow comment - Taraji Henson's dress makes her breasts look strange.

As long as we're making shallow comments about TPH, what was up with her orange gloves?  I didn't hear a word she was saying because I was trying to figure out why her hands were glowing when she was resting them on the table.  It took me a minute to realize she was wearing gloves!🙄

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

They're talking like The Color Purple (2023) was a hit, when, although it did very well on opening day, it only grossed $60 million in the U.S., and ended up losing the studio $40 million.

It missed the mark.  I loved the book,  liked the first movie.  I like musicals,  but,...Idk.

It seemed a lot of the photography was dim or dark. A style choice,  but not to my liking.     

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

It had a big Christmas opening because the producers ie Oprah gave away books of tickets to church groups around the country in order to inflate opening day numbers.  It dropped like a rock, 66%, in its second week.

• Like 1
  • Useful 6

Whoopi is so out of touch when she talks about Millennials and Gen Z. She really thinks they lead such idyllic lives with nothing substantive to fight for because previous generations have gifted them such a perfect world. 🙄

• Like 3
4 hours ago, atomic said:

Whoopi is so out of touch when she talks about Millennials and Gen Z. She really thinks they lead such idyllic lives with nothing substantive to fight for because previous generations have gifted them such a perfect world.

She's gotta have something to give her daily lecture on.  

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Side note:  I don't ever want to see Whoopi attempt to pour waffle mix into a waffle maker ever again. .  Ever.  Again.  The day she puts out a cooking book  and promotes it on The View is the day I finally shoot my tv screen Elvis style.

Kool & the Gang:  "Providing the soundtrack to our Juneteenth celebration."  If you say so.  They also get to shill their champagne brand.

So they booked a bunch of black celebrities to shill their products and put it under the banner of Juneteenth.

Have a great day and take a little time to View our deals.

And that is exactly why I love my DVR. Hot topics and I'm out....

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 6/18/2024 at 8:14 PM, Blissfool said:

It was like that this week because Rachel Maddow was on with her, but I haven't found that to be the norm. I actually stop listening a lot of times when Alyssa is on because they go into the topic of Bravo reality shows which I don't watch at all.

• Like 1

Only Hot Topics segment: Ten Commandments in public schools.

Whoopi visited the pope so we know how she stands on religion.  Really?  Millions of devout Catholics would have killed (not in the ten commandments sense) for a private meeting with "the guy." 

Segment One:  Fauci.  Shilling his book.  I'm getting a little tired of the co-hosts smiling like idiots when someone they like is at the table.  It's not even about political bias, it just makes it glaringly obvious when they're interviewing someone they don't like. 

COVID:  I like the man but I don't want to revisit 2020.  It's bad enough we're forced to revisit it in November 2024.

Segment Two:  AIDS Crisis.  Fears of new viruses yet to rear their little ugly nucleic acid heads.

Segment Three:  Jessica Alba.  She upspeaks like Kim Kardashian and looks great for 43.  That's all I've got.

24 minutes ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Segment Two:  AIDS Crisis.  Fears of new viruses yet to rear their little ugly nucleic acid heads.

That’s why we have to keep revisiting 2020. 

• Like 8
On 6/19/2024 at 10:59 AM, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Pretty much any celebrity who comes on the View (and any other talk show) is selling something, whether it be a book, a TV show, a movie, concert tour etc.   

Not sure why this episode is considered any different.   

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Pretty much any celebrity who comes on the View (and any other talk show) is selling something, whether it be a book, a TV show, a movie, concert tour etc.   

Not sure why this episode is considered any different.   

Because the schedule reads:  “The View” celebrates Juneteenth"  it was nothing but a marketing episode from start to finish.  The only difference being the shillers were black.  They didn't celebrate Juneteenth unless the tradition practiced each year is to buy an actor's children's book, buy a singer's pancake  and waffle mix, and buy a band's champagne.  If so, then yes, they celebrated Juneteenth.

• Applause 1
3 minutes ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Because the schedule reads:  “The View” celebrates Juneteenth"  it was nothing but a marketing episode from start to finish.  The only difference being the shillers were black.  They didn't celebrate Juneteenth unless the tradition practiced each year is to buy an actor's children's book, buy a singer's pancake  and waffle mix, and buy a band's champagne.  If so, then yes, they celebrated Juneteenth.

I forgot to add the comparison of celebrating Sister Act II to this marketing feat.

4 hours ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

I'm getting a little tired of the co-hosts smiling like idiots when someone they like is at the table.  

Being friendly and respectful to their guest is better than the hostility Meghan would have shown.

• Like 18
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Being friendly and respectful to their guest is better than the hostility Meghan would have shown.

I didn't care for Meghan, I felt she was an over-indulged spoiled brat and I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did.  I think Whoopi had a lot to do with that. 

Whenever I see them smiling like crazy when the guest comes out I know it's going to be a softball interview.  They do everything but shine the guest's shoes.  That's my cue to exit.

Let's go from smiling idiots to indignant co-hosts.  Take a stroll down memory lane and go watch the infamous Bill O' Reilly interview.  Whoopi and Joy stormed off the set leaving Barbara to make her apologies for their unprofessional behavior.  She was mortified by their behavior as was most of the audience.  

To reiterate my original point, there is a distinct difference with the way they respond to certain guests.   They can't even hide their disdain for each other.  SEE:  Ana and Alyssa and occasionally Sunny and Alyssa.  Their egos always prevail so to hell with professionalism, right?  Out of whack egos and low EQs.  Not a good combo.

• Like 3

Pre-recorded Friday.

The ladies brainstorm on ideas for the upcoming presidential debate.  Their strategy for Biden:  I know you are but what am I?

72-year-old Bill Belichick is dating a 24-year-old.  The last four letters of his last name pretty much spell it out.  I would expect nothing less (or nothing more) from the man.  All eyes turn to Ana for her expertise on the subject.  Hold that call from Al's caregiver, Ana's discussing the lovemaking skills of older men.  "Old men try harder."  Okay.

Eva Longoria was gifted a $50M grant from Jeff Bezos's foundation for her aptly named charity The Eva Longoria Foundation.  My what a nice new big yacht you have, Eva.

Anthony Michael Hall waiting to be ambushed by Andrew McCarthy who will repeatedly ask him how the Brat Pack label ruined his life.  

The mandatory Whoopi ass-kissing continues.  Alyssa, appointed Whoopi's surrogate, asks the unsuspecting Anthony to share a How has Whoopi changed your life just by being in her presence story?  Anthony politely obliges. 

Anthony didn't punch anyone during the interview.  So yay.

VYD 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Why shouldn’t they smile when they enjoy someone being there?

Agreed.  As with any talk show it's always more enjoyable when the hosts and the guests seem happy to be there.  

• Like 3
On 6/20/2024 at 1:03 PM, Ellis Bell Lives said:

When they celebrate Women's History Month, they feature VYD with women.  Veteran's Day featured Veteran's owned businesses.... It's rare that any celebrity guest on the View is not shilling something, regardless of the show's topic or celebration.   

The cynic in me believes that the Sister Act II celebration was shilling for publicity to get Sister Act III made.

The interviews all touched on Juneteenth and it's meaning.  And yes, a big part of Juneteenth celebrations in many locations include events where Black owned businesses are showcased and products sold.   

• Like 5

"The cynic in me believes that the Sister Act II celebration was shilling for publicity to get Sister Act III made."

I agree with you 100% on this point but at least they tried to pretend to focus on SAII throughout the show.  And one must assume at least one segment had to be dedicated to the mandatory kissing of her glutes and I must say those kids came through with flying colors.

Talking about Juneteenth reminds me it's Pride month yet they haven't done much save for a weekly mini-segment.  They did one on Stonewall and the  politician highlighted on today's show.  Other dedicated months seem to get a daily mini-segment.  

I'm not a huge fan of Whoopie but does anyone complaining about people kissing her ass stop & think that maybe she is really that nice to people when she's not on the view? 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

I'm not a huge fan of Whoopie but does anyone complaining about people kissing her ass stop & think that maybe she is really that nice to people when she's not on the view? 

She could be the nicest person in the world it doesn't mean people should feel obliged to KISS HER ASS when they appear on the show. 

It's obvious the producers do a pre-interview with the talent and or their rep.  They're most likely asked about any experiences they've had with Whoopi either personal or professional and then are told to share those experiences on the air.  Today's prompt by Alyssa was obvious and embarrassing.    It's gotten to the point where they sound like testimonials at a retirement dinner.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

She could be the nicest person in the world it doesn't mean people should feel obliged to KISS HER ASS when they appear on the show. 

It's obvious the producers do a pre-interview with the talent and or their rep.  They're most likely asked about any experiences they've had with Whoopi either personal or professional and then are told to share those experiences on the air.  Today's prompt by Alyssa was obvious and embarrassing.    It's gotten to the point where they sound like testimonials at a retirement dinner.

Yes. I've heard that celebrities appear on talk shows with a set of topics to discuss, but in The View's case it seems that the show encourages them to talk about Whoopi. They even go out of their way to lead into the topic of Whoopi with the obvious questions they ask.

• Like 6
On 6/21/2024 at 6:46 PM, Shrek said:

I reported back here a little while ago that I listened to her read her book. She did have a hard life As a child and seems like people were nice to her and vice versa. I also said that I think the Whoopi on The View isn't the same Whoopi in "real life" so to speak and I think those people Really do like her.  But then again it is more Fun to snark on The View Whoopi 

• Like 1
On 6/22/2024 at 8:55 PM, lookeyloo said:

I also said that I think the Whoopi on The View isn't the same Whoopi in "real life" so to speak and I think those people Really do like her.

I've always said the View brings out the worse in Whoopi.  I think she is fine on sets because there is a director and she is playing a character.   But I think she thinks the View is beneath her and she is only there for the paycheck and it shows.

I read her book over the weekend. It was OK but I didn't find it as great as others have said. 

• Like 7