Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: Enter the Circle

• Start Topic

In Alone's most remote location, ten new survivalists must survive north of the Arctic Circle as they face the cold and dwindling sun for a chance to win $500,000.

Air date: June 13, 2024

• Fire 1

I could not watch Cubby remove that arrow.  And I was yelling at the tv to not remove it but cut the shaft.    How he walked 30 minutes through that underbrush is beyond me.   

• Like 7

I still can't figure out how that happened.  The arrow fell out of his quiver and he stepped on it?  Into his thigh?  

9 minutes ago, IdEatThat said:

How he walked 30 minutes through that underbrush is beyond me.   

I thought they had a geo-locator on them at all times just for situations like this. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I still can't figure out how that happened.  The arrow fell out of his quiver and he stepped on it?  Into his thigh? 

I couldn't really picture that either.  Talk about a freak accident!  I was afraid he was going to try to tough it out and then end up with septicemia.  I liked him and felt sorry for him having to quit so early but he made the right decision.

This show makes me nervous.  I wish they'd go some place without bears.  I know that whatever happens on screen has been over and done with for months but I still get jittery watching it.

I like Peter the librarian so far.  I think the young guy from Arkansas is going to have a tough time when it gets really cold.  I'm already sick of Isaiah.

• Like 5

I felt really sorry for Cubby, I had him picked to last a long time. I really thought Isaiah would be the first to go, maybe he'll be second.

• Like 5

Yes, that is the definition of a freak accident. Poor Cubby. Maybe he'll be able to participate in a future season. Or try out for the Australian version ..God knows they need better contestants! So far I like the women and William's accent delights me. Isaiah is "a lot"...he's next to go, I predict. They don't seem to have any Big Game Hunter types, more rural homesteading people, who walk the walk. This of course doesn't mean the cold and darkness won't kick their butts, but it does indicate a certain amount of competence in living off the land. We shall see!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Agree that Emo Isaiah appears to have taken a spot better given to the first alternative.

Dub seems to be the guy still living in his boyhood bedroom  and being taken care of by his elderly parents. They seemed especially delighted he will be gone for 3 months.

Cubby, your femoral artery was just missed. Consider yourself a very lucky man.

Jake, the falconer, gave up that cool job to be near his kids when the family broke up. Rooting for him.

There is another Alone episode not broadcasted that you can access through the Alone Episodes.

It introduces each participant who also explains why they chose their 10 items.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

William's accent delights me.

This may be the first time I need closed-captioning on for a Canadian.  That's some heavy stuff there. 

• LOL 7

A little too early for me to pick a favorite yet.

William's accent is nuts, but I'm loving it.  Feel bad for Cuddy, but he definitely did the right thing.  Michelle is getting on my nerves.

Let's see what next week brings.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, madmax said:

A little too early for me to pick a favorite yet.

William's accent is nuts, but I'm loving it.  Feel bad for Cuddy, but he definitely did the right thing.  Michelle is getting on my nerves.

Let's see what next week brings.

I agree on all you said. I think Michelle’s name is Michela. Yeah she is annoying me too, with her oh so spiritual lifestyle performance, using the viewing audience as her student hostages, and her, the Teacher, whether you like it or not.

I’d rather watch her put that energy into actual work needed to feed, build a strong shelter, and protect herself from bears and wolves. I hope her sacred rock in the middle of a bunch of grass keeps her alive and kicking, and safe. 

Poor Cubby. What a freak accident that was, is right! He is so lucky he didn’t cut that carotid artery. He was well set in those extra pounds needed to be able to burn off a lot of them. He might have put them on for the show, and now they have all gone to waist. Yes. Pun intended. 

I too thought Isaiah would be the first to leave. It certainly looks like he was ready to hightail it out of there shortly after arriving. The profuse nosebleed out of nowhere was kind of scary too. I certainly wouldn’t want to be out there in bear world, smelling like fresh blood. 

I think Michael from Labrador is going to win this if he doesn’t have to medically tap. Labrador is a brutal climate to live in, and him living off grid there, says a lot for his ability in super harsh conditions. It must have been pretty embarrassing for him to lose that huge Pike after bragging about being such a master fisherman. I like his attitude though. 

The other woman, Sarah… though well versed in harsh cold environments, living in Alaska… I think she’s too thin starting out. She mentioned something about the bleakness of the landscape and atmosphere of northern wintertime. Its all grey on white. No color, white ground and sky that feels like nothing is alive.

I have experienced that while visiting friends on the norther border in the middle of winter. My friend puts out many strings of colorful lights all around her property so she can see them through the windows at night. She knows how important to a healthy mental state it is up there to provide some winter color, and stimulate a joyful alive feeling from them instead of the constant heaviness of the dead, sleeping landscape. Including all the birds and squirrels. Nothing moves, but the wind in the trees.

It’s a heavy, still and forlorn feeling that permeates the air and is downright depressing. I can see where that alone, will send ya packing. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I want to root for the librarian, just because I still go to the library a lot. 

Is Cubby the one who also broke an arrow shooting at the squirrel and missed? Seems almost like a bad omen in hindsight. Have to admit I was rooting for that adorabe little squirrel, though, and was sad to think that it just learned to fear humans. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I want to root for the librarian, just because I still go to the library a lot. 

Same here!  If he can adapt to the cold outdoor climate, he has a wealth of information to help him work through some of the other challenges.

• Like 4
(edited)

And there, mes amis, we have observed the brutal visual of one's being "hoist on his own petard." 😯😈 

Sassy Cat:

"It's a heavy, still, and forlorn feeling that permeates the air...."

I'm stealing that for the opening sentence of my next (well, only) novel! 👏👏👏

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3

It's too bad what happened with Cubby, because I thought he was one of the more interesting contestants.  As has been said, maybe he'll get another chance.  I'd say some more, but I don't have the names straight yet, lol.

I'm really beginning to wonder how they can plop these people out in the middle of all these wolves and grizzlies, and not have something bad happen.  I was also wondering if the scent of Cubby's blood might bring something out.

• Like 4

I finally caught up with this.  I really felt bad for Cubby and disappointed that we won't be seeing any more of him, but wow, this show has had its share of people have fatal mishaps very early in their season.  It makes me wonder if some of it happens because of not being as mindful as usual after suddenly being dropped in a very new and unfamiliar environment.  It might be a side effect of "drop shock".

On 6/15/2024 at 1:38 AM, TVbitch said:

Have to admit I was rooting for that adorabe little squirrel, though, and was sad to think that it just learned to fear humans. 

Me too, but fortunately I don't think that squirrel will encounter too many humans so there is that, LOL.

As for Michael's Labrador accent, that sounds like one of those isolated accents that hasn't changed much in 200 years or whenever the first white settlers came to the new world. It sounds almost Irish. And that fascinates me. 

On 6/14/2024 at 2:57 PM, humbleopinion said:

Dub seems to be the guy still living in his boyhood bedroom  and being taken care of by his elderly parents. They seemed especially delighted he will be gone for 3 months.

LOL I thought the same thing! There is something mildly creepy about him so far because of that. I wasn't listening too closely to him but didn't he say he hadn't ever had a regular job? In his case that makes me wonder.

Anyway, it's always good to see you again and thanks for letting us know about that additional episode.

• Like 3

I think I finally figured out Cubby's accident.  I was watching the rerun tonight, so I knew what was coming and paid close attention.  It's easier to visualize when you see that he was walking with his bow in his hand and his quiver was attached to his bow.  The dense scrub he was in meant he needed to use his hands to clear branches out of the way and was scrambling.  I think his bow dipped down so far that an arrow fell out of the quiver and got caught in the scrub so it was tip up and he was off-balance and stepped on it. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 4

That howl of pain Cubby made scared the crap out of me. I thought something had leapt and attacked him or something. When I saw the arrow in his leg, I was saying don't take that out whatever you do! I wouldn't have, but there you go. I was really hoping he would go far and like someone said up thread, maybe he'll be given another chance.

• Like 2