Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 6/10/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, June 10 – Jo Koy (comedian, “Jo Koy: Live from Brooklyn”)

Tuesday, June 11 – Jennifer Connelly (actress, “Bad Behaviour” and “Dark Matter”); Questlove (author, “Hip-Hop Is History”)

Wednesday, June 12 – Ayo Edebiri (actress, “Inside Out 2” and “The Bear”), Andrew McCarthy (director and writer, ABC News Studios “BRATS”)

Thursday, June 13 – Tony Hale (actor, “Inside Out 2”)

Friday, June 14 – Hannah Einbinder (actress, “Hacks” and “Hannah Einbinder: Everything Must Go”); “The View” celebrates Alyssa Farah Griffin’s birthday

• Thanks 5

When Ryan Reynold's one minute shtick as an audience member is more entertaining than C-List Jo Koy's entire segment.  Koy looked thrilled to be upstaged by an unscheduled A-Lister.

Whoopi, the celebrity apologist defending Jo's poor performance as host of the Golden Globes. Here it comes - yes Jo, it is entirely acceptable if you kiss Whoopi's "butt."  It's probably the only reason he continues to get booked on the show.

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

When Ryan Reynold's one minute shtick as an audience member is more entertaining than C-List Jo Koy's entire segment. 

And his mom!  😄

• LOL 3

The only time I've seen Jo Koy is on the Golden Globes and today.  I didn't crack a smile either time.  Maybe he's funnier in his stand-up special (although the clip they showed was lame, I thought), but it's not a good look to make excuses, i.e. he only had ten days to prepare, audience members were eating, etc.  

• Like 5
(edited)

I somehow follow Chelsea Handler (I’ve seen  her in concert too) on FB and watched many videos they’d do from her home and now I don’t like him at all. He broke her heart. Telling Ryan to “remember that “ about menopause was so dumb. So much of his standup is making fun of his mother which is getting really old. Probably the most boring segments ever. 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I somehow follow Chelsea Handler (I’ve seen  her in concert too) on FB and watched many videos they’d do from her home and now I don’t like him at all. He broke her heart.

What did he do to break her heart? I was always under the impression that she dumped him 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4
(edited)

Telling Ryan to “remember that “ about menopause was so dumb.

He joked to Ryan that his mother could have aborted him.  Is that supposed to be funny?  It was certainly (at best) awkward and tasteless.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)

I don't find Koi funny at all.  Ryan Reynolds just sitting in the audience talking to the cohosts was funnier than anything Koy said.  Wasn't he the guy who cried, like sobbing, the last time he was on?  This is the guy who is playing stadiums?  I find that hard to believe.  Unless it's high school stadiums.  And even then.....

Edited to add:  I checked his tour dates and he is playing basketball arenas and theaters.  I knew he couldn't be playing stadiums.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 2

First the show was interrupted for Hunter Biden (does anyone really care?) and then Xfinity decided to do an upgrade so the internet was out for an hour. I was sort of interested in Jennifer Connolly because I’m watching the show and I always like to hear about whatever project Questlove is doing. Dang it. 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Haleth said:

First the show was interrupted for Hunter Biden (does anyone really care?) and then Xfinity decided to do an upgrade so the internet was out for an hour. I was sort of interested in Jennifer Connolly because I’m watching the show and I always like to hear about whatever project Questlove is doing. Dang it. 

On ABC7 (NYC) it airs live at 11:00 A.M.  The national news team cut in at the beginning of the Taylor Swift discussion segment and stayed on the HB verdict until 12:00 noon.  

10 minutes ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

On ABC7 (NYC) it airs live at 11:00 A.M.  The national news team cut in at the beginning of the Taylor Swift discussion segment and stayed on the HB verdict until 12:00 noon.  

So that's what you meant when you posted

1 hour ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

I didn't realize Hunter Biden was booked for the entire show.  

I get it now!!!

• LOL 2
9 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I don't find Koi funny at all.  Ryan Reynolds just sitting in the audience talking to the cohosts was funnier than anything Koy said.  Wasn't he the guy who cried, like sobbing, the last time he was on?  This is the guy who is playing stadiums?  I find that hard to believe.  Unless it's high school stadiums.  And even then.....

Edited to add:  I checked his tour dates and he is playing basketball arenas and theaters.  I knew he couldn't be playing stadiums.

Whenever I see or hear Jo Koy mentioned, I am obliged to tell anyone that's around me how unfunny I think he is and the fact that he's a "successful" comedian is one of my seven wonders of the world. 

The fact that his tour is coming to my area proves that he's not good. I have to travel at least 350 miles to see anyone that's actually good!

I've seen Ryan Reynolds on interviews and on social media and am certain that he is far funnier than Jo Koy. 

• Like 2

Time 11:38 A.M.  EST:  Whoopi kiss-ass moment in full effect.  Thank you celebrity guest Aye Edebiri for your contribution to an over-the-hill celebrity's insatiable ego.

Thank you Andrew McCarthy for not kissing Whoopi's ass.  The Brat Pack meets the Rat Pack.  He looks good.

Lastly, Sara needs to assert herself more in the hair and makeup room. 

See above.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Whenever I see or hear Jo Koy mentioned, I am obliged to tell anyone that's around me how unfunny I think he is and the fact that he's a "successful" comedian is one of my seven wonders of the world. 

The fact that his tour is coming to my area proves that he's not good. I have to travel at least 350 miles to see anyone that's actually good!

I've seen Ryan Reynolds on interviews and on social media and am certain that he is far funnier than Jo Koy. 

I think it was 3rd hour of Today Show when he was talking about the Boston theater he just performed his Netflix special  in and he mentioned sold out Madison Square  Garden and another big venture but this was by far the best in theaters. ( aesthetically. )  Since I have nothing but time to kill I looked it up and I believe he was a part of a comedy festival in MSG last year. That’s not just him!  In my neck  of the woods he’ll be at Chase Center most tickets $78.00. 
I'm a BIG stand up fan and have managed to see many favorites that aren’t stadiums and not had to travel far for most. 
I really enjoyed Andrew McCarthy segment too. 

• Useful 1

Aren't we lucky to have Whoopi on the panel! Otherwise how would we ever know what others are thinking. Thank you Whoopi for clarifying that the groom is having a naked wedding because he doesn't want his sister to attend. Or that Andrew McCarthy was aloof to his cast mates in the 80s because they were all vying for the same roles.

Lately Whoopi has worn makeup and has looked very nice and polished. Today she was clean-faced and, although she did not look bad, she was giving me such Billy Porter vibes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

Aren't we lucky to have Whoopi on the panel! Otherwise how would we ever know what others are thinking. Thank you Whoopi for clarifying that the groom is having a naked wedding because he doesn't want his sister to attend. Or that Andrew McCarthy was aloof to his cast mates in the 80s because they were all vying for the same roles.

Lately Whoopi has worn makeup and has looked very nice and polished. Today she was clean-faced and, although she did not look bad, she was giving me such Billy Porter vibes.

Billy dresses better.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Ana is present.  Whoopi is off to visit the pope.  Take cover as lightning strikes are imminent.

Sara's hair is suffering from some form of multiple personality disorder.

I was under the impression these ladies wouldn't hurt a fly.  These ladies would hurt a fly.

Not THE pill but A pill lives to kill another fetus.

Grouchy Joy is becoming like Whoopi.  Exasperated and annoyed is not a good look.   You're not a shrink Joy so stop schooling the other ladies on their fathers.

I suppose when you sit in the moderator's seat you get to waste a segment by promoting your side projects.  Thanks Joy.

J B Smoove missed his gig at the mob's annual comedy fest so he hot-footed it over to The View.

Sunny inserts herself and her obnoxious daughter into the convo during Tony Hale's segment.  Tony politely soldiers through.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Grouchy Joy is becoming like Whoopi.

I like Joy, but on yesterday's podcast, she was in a mood.  She seemed to have snippy contrary answers to a large portion of the things Brian said.  Between her and Whoopi, Brian has to walk on eggshells.  

5 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I like Joy, but on yesterday's podcast, she was in a mood.  She seemed to have snippy contrary answers to a large portion of the things Brian said.  Between her and Whoopi, Brian has to walk on eggshells.  

I’d never listened to one of the podcast before  so listened to yesterdays. 
I didn’t hear her as crabby.  ( which could mean I’m used to it or I’m crabby too).  I heard laughter and teasing and flattery saying Sara is so pretty so that’s why the hair stylist go crazy with her.  She said what a darling girl young comedian ( name escapes me) and how nice Andrew was. ) 

She  was answering her personality traits with self awareness and honesty.
I think if you’ve been on the planet as long as Joy has and are witnessing the nation mindlessly getting into a time machine and undoing what we fought so hard for makes  me frightened for the future ,and angry like it does her. 
Personally I’ve never thought Whoopi was a good moderator / host…ever. I guess there’s improvement from when she first came on and would come out chewing on food and slump down on their couch rolling her eyes when anything of pop culture was mentioned. Progress due to being hammered by producers and the public.  The eye rolling and exasperation and lectures continue. 

• Like 9

Everyone on that panel pushes what they are involved in and it was half way through the show when Joy mentioned her article for 50 seconds

. I could have sworn it was Star Jones  wedding that cameras were taken away and they were the kind you’d get for one use…. That’s my bad memory for you. they were told ahead of time no pictures because they had a deal with a magazine like People.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

I’d never listened to one of the podcast before  so listened to yesterdays. 
I didn’t hear her as crabby.  ( which could mean I’m used to it or I’m crabby too).  I heard laughter and teasing and flattery saying Sara is so pretty so that’s why the hair stylist go crazy with her.  She said what a darling girl young comedian ( name escapes me) and how nice Andrew was. ) 

She  was answering her personality traits with self awareness and honesty.

I was referring to her interaction with Brian, like when he asked her what emotion she represents most, and he listed them, she indicated anger as the top one by saying "definitely."  Later, when Brian brought anger up, she pushed back and said Brian was more like that (angry) than her.  And when she said that women stand-ups shouldn't be sexy, and Brian said what about guy stand-ups, she said there aren't any of those (sexy guy stand-ups).  When Brian suggested John Mulaney, she pushed back on that and reiterated about guy stand-ups not being sexy.  She said sexy female comics confuse men since men are easy to confuse.  Brian then said, "I'm confused right now." 

eta: I just went back and re-listened carefully, and I think you're right--it's not nearly as bad as I thought.  I was doing housework while listening the first time, so maybe I was missing the nuance here and there.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 2

I know there is a lot of love for Sara- but sometimes her cutesy-ness annoys me..

(over the top with Bridgerton sex scenes)

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, 2JEWELL said:

I know there is a lot of love for Sara- but sometimes her cutesy-ness annoys me..

I like Sara, but what annoys me about her is her habit of interrupting others with what she thinks is a funny line.  She throw in a funny or not-so-funny line right in the middle of someone else's sentence, which often makes me miss what they said.

• Like 3

Happy Birthday Alyssa!  Let's talk about rape!!!  Let's discuss sexual assault!!!  Kevin Spacey can cry on cue.

Female comedian in a big blazer.

Hanson?  Is it 1992 again?  Aren't they before Alyssa's time?

They  could bomb the White House yet ABC will always find time for a VYD segment.

The crew dropped Alyssa's cake (off-screen, of course.  Nothing fun ever happens onscreen anymore.)  It said "I HEART DONALD FOREVER" 

It's actually Trump's birthday today.  So, Happy Birthday?  One day closer to that big Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise in the sky.

42 minutes ago, 2JEWELL said:

(over the top with Bridgerton sex scenes)

I think she's a people pleaser.  I feel she would be a good moderator.  She can diffuse tense situations with a quick one-liner and she has the work background similar to Meredith's.  If you're going to be classified as a news show, maybe get rid of the uniformed comedian and replace her with an actual journalist.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I like Sara, but what annoys me about her is her habit of interrupting others with what she thinks is a funny line.  She throw in a funny or not-so-funny line right in the middle of someone else's sentence, which often makes me miss what they said.

Those 'jokes' often fall with a resounding thud.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

I think she's a people pleaser.  I feel she would be a good moderator.  She can diffuse tense situations with a quick one-liner and she has the work background similar to Meredith's.  If you're going to be classified as a news show, maybe get rid of the uniformed comedian and replace her with an actual journalist.

but. it's not a news show.  it's a show of women discussing their views on all sorts of issues, some newsy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Interesting...no mindnumbingly stupid to not mention another "egregious" abuser and rapist during today's hot topics: Bill Cosby. Weinstein isn't the only one. But no, according to Sara and Sunny, the "most egregious" is Weinstein, who wasn't just someone who gave women the creeps, but raped them. Ayah. Just like Cosby.

What's their excuse? It's not as if Whoopi was at the table today.

And I suppose I have no standing to criticize, as I refuse to watch the show, as the series is one of my favorites by Julia Quinn, but if the current season of Bridgerton is Penelope and Colin's story? Hello, it took 10 years before they got together, and while she was plump, by the time Colin saw her in a romantic light, she had shed all that weight. It looks like each season is a book and there are 8 books/siblings. And this should be Benedict's story, not Colin's. Then again, I don't know how the show is shaped and if they're doing it out of order.

Yeah, yeah, creative license, blah, blah, blah, blah....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I suppose I have no standing to criticize, as I refuse to watch the show, as the series is one of my favorites by Julia Quinn, but if the current season of Bridgerton is Penelope and Colin's story? Hello, it took 10 years before they got together, and while she was plump, by the time Colin saw her in a romantic light, she had shed all that weight. It looks like each season is a book and there are 8 books/siblings. And this should be Benedict's story, not Colin's. Then again, I don't know how the show is shaped and if they're doing it out of order

Yes, they are not telling the story alphabetically. I guess the producers did not see the need to have the actress lose weight, although Pen’s style changed to make her more attractive. Personally I like that Colin falls in love with a girl who isn’t stick thin. Just out of curiosity why do you refuse to watch?  I haven’t read the books but the show is fun escapism. And very pretty to watch. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

She does it to comedians, like Hannah Einbinder today.  Shut up Sara!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

Sigh, I just wish Ana would acknowledge Alyssa.

She never does, by word or glance. Ever.

I constantly notice this too. You can count on one hand how many times she has acknowledged Alyssa in any way, and several of those were petty.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yes, they are not telling the story alphabetically. I guess the producers did not see the need to have the actress lose weight, although Pen’s style changed to make her more attractive. Personally I like that Colin falls in love with a girl who isn’t stick thin. Just out of curiosity why do you refuse to watch?  I haven’t read the books but the show is fun escapism. And very pretty to watch. 

So I haven't read the books or watched the show, but from what I've seen online, there are people that are book fans, there are people that are tv show fans, but there aren't very many people that are fans of both.  Probably because the show has taken a ton of liberties with the books, so book fans aren't getting the faithful adaptation they're wanting and show fans aren't getting the novelization of the tv show they expected.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
10 hours ago, cinsays said:

but. it's not a news show.  it's a show of women discussing their views on all sorts of issues, some newsy.

I beg to differ. 99% of the View's topics are "newsy" (meaning in the news). And in reality, that would include all the topics that Whoopi hates moderating by rolling her eyes out of their sockets. 

(edited)
9 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Probably because the show has taken a ton of liberties with the books, so book fans aren't getting the faithful adaptation they're wanting 

Welcome to my world! 🤣

it's a show of women discussing their views on all sorts of issues, some newsy.

The show has fallen into the pattern of the first segment being newsy, usually something in the political world and the biggest headline of the day, then the second segment is lighter, often something about celebrities or something big on social media, etc... the things that make Whoopi roll her eyes.  I think they try to balance serious news and whimsy.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, cinsays said:

They joined ABC News division in 2014.  Different standards and guidelines.

6 minutes ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

They joined ABC News division in 2014.  Different standards and guidelines.

That alone doesn't make them a news program (Fox manages to call a whole channel a news channel with zero news), I would guestimate about 10% of the time is spent on actual news & the rest on fluff pieces & selling shit that nobody wants. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Shrek said:

That alone doesn't make them a news program (Fox manages to call a whole channel a news channel with zero news), I would guestimate about 10% of the time is spent on actual news & the rest on fluff pieces & selling shit that nobody wants. 

Yes, but do you know any other talk shows who have to read legal notes after a particular topic/segment?  

• Like 1
On 6/14/2024 at 3:59 PM, cinsays said:

Agreed. To me the intent of The View was to bring a woman's perspective to all kinds of topics, which would, of course, have included the news of the day.  I'm pretty sure I remember Meredith sitting at the table with newspapers reading out some choice article or two and throwing it out for discussion.  But that didn't make it a news show as you say.  It was a show then, and still is, a show that gives women an opportunity to tackle the issues of the day without some man sitting at the table having to be deferred to and being the one doing most of the talking!  This was a refreshing change back when this show first aired!

• Like 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Yes, but do you know any other talk shows who have to read legal notes after a particular topic/segment?  

I don't know of any news shows that do it either. 

You can call an apple a spaceship and even send it into space but it's still an apple. 

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 3