Type keyword(s) to search

Rainbow Hearts and Unicorn Stickers: A Positivity Thread

• Start Topic

I'll bring some cheer to this thread: here's a really good review of the last episode from Nerdy Girl Notes

Also, "Birth" is turning into one of my all-time favorite episodes of the entire series. I've already watched it three times and find something new about it during every watch. I know that it's TS;TW, but I'm surprisingly optimistic about this whole Dark One Hook twist. As a big fan of his character, I'm just excited he's getting any focus at the moment, and the fact that it's such a huge and integral twist to the show's mythology has me straight up excited and giddy for what's coming up next. There's so much to explore between Emma's guilt and mixed emotions over turning her boyfriend into the darkest villain ever and Hook having to face his inner demons that it's hard to not be excited about the show again. Yes, I know this feeling might be fleeting, but I'm going to freaking enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 9

As a big fan of his character, I'm just excited he's getting any focus at the moment, and the fact that it's such a huge and integral twist to the show's mythology has me straight up excited and giddy for what's coming up next. There's so much to explore between Emma's guilt and mixed emotions over turning her boyfriend into the darkest villain ever and Hook having to face his inner demons that it's hard to not be excited about the show again. Yes, I know this feeling might be fleeting, but I'm going to freaking enjoy it while it lasts.

Thank you! Exactly. He's not a prop. He's probably the most complex character on the show, and he's going through the hero's journey. That is not an easy journey for any classic hero to go through. When all is said and done, this is going to be a really cool story.

Edited by ABitOFluff
  • Love 3

Yeah I've watched Birth 3 times as well it's that good. The way they've written Hook and Emma so far makes me optimistic the writers won't fuck them up to much. Those two are literally the best thing about this show at least to me. I see why Jennifer has been excited for this arc all summer long. I'm sure Colin's having fun with whatever they are giving him in 5B.

• Love 3

Yeah I've watched Birth 3 times as well it's that good. The way they've written Hook and Emma so far makes me optimistic the writers won't fuck them up to much. Those two are literally the best thing about this show at least to me. I see why Jennifer has been excited for this arc all summer long. I'm sure Colin's having fun with whatever they are giving him in 5B.

Remember when SDCC rolled around, and they were doing their interviews, and how all the questions were directed at Jen about Dark Swan?

Those 2 already knew there would be 2 Dark Ones, didn't they?

Remember when SDCC rolled around, and they were doing their interviews, and how all the questions were directed at Jen about Dark Swan?

Those 2 already knew there would be 2 Dark Ones, didn't they?

I kind of think they did. Jen did say "Maybe she'll suck him into the darkness with her".

I get the feeling that the guest stars don't know much beyond their own stories, but the main players do have a inkling of the overall arc.

Jen said she knew Hook was going to be a Dark One too, but not all the details of how.

Adding my praise to this "Birth", the Dark Swan arc, and this season as a whole. I'm excited about Dark Hook too...

I'm excited for Dark Hook if for no other reason than we'll get some superlative acting out of it from both Colin and JMo. Angst does not bother me, and I like the fact that my favorite TV couple has such a great love story and good focus in this arc.

• Love 5

Been rewatching past seasons, and I have to say that if you watch Season 1, 2A, 2x14 - 2x16, 2x21 - 2x22, 3A, 3x12 - 3x13, 3x17, and 3x21 - 3x22, then you will have had a very rewarding experience because that is all the show in its prime. Even though it hasn't risen back to that level and likely won't ever, let's always be thankful for having had it on that level at all.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 4

Select parts of them and of 4A, maybe (mainly the stuff with Ingrid 'cause she's awesome), but there's too much egregious bullshit there to really recommend (Woegina/Robin angst, Operation Mongoose starting up, that dumb Anna-Charming flashback, progressing character derailment of Snow ,Will Scarlet showing up and being pointless, etc.)

Edited by Mathius

4A can be fun with liberal use of the Fast Forward button. Skip most flashbacks involving Anna's side adventures with regular characters, but watch the pure Frozen flashbacks. In the present, skip anything with Robin and/or Regina. The rest is actually pretty good, up to the point it implodes with the Shattered Sight spell being the biggest anticlimax ever.

I liked the stuff with Elsa, Anna, and Ingrid in the past, loved the friendship between Elsa and Emma in the present, and although it got repetitive, the stuff between Rumple and Hook was always fascinating because those two play so well against each other. Tune out the copy/paste dialogue and just watch their faces and body language.

4x18 was an excellent episode in my opinion. Probably the only good one for 4b (4x15 was pretty decent too with Ursula's backstory, but I think Cruella's episode takes the cake). I try to judge each episode first and foremost on whether or not it was a good episode by itself. Stupid stuff like failed plot line deliveries, etc. are considered later.

I always watch each episode wanting to like it.  I try not to have ill-will towards the characters... I try to like Regina and everyone most of the time.  That's why I don't read spoilers, so I am a little more able to have a fresh mind.  Problems with the show actually provide a lot of laughs every Sunday night.  That's a way of looking at it glass full, LOL.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5

For something I never thought I'd say, Grimm currently has a storyline very similar to one on this show, and this show is handling it better. In both cases, an enemy used magic to disguise herself as the significant other of a man, slept with him while pretending to be his significant other, and got pregnant, and this enemy was largely responsible for the death of the man's significant other.

On Grimm, this man is now playing happy families with his rapist, as they live and take care of the baby together and he's looking after her safety and well-being, gives her a credit card and his late girlfriend's car and sleeps in her bed with her because she's afraid at night. At least on this show, Robin doesn't seem to give a flying fig about Zelena other than keeping the baby safe and doesn't seem to be anywhere near setting up happy housekeeping with her. Until Emma took Zelena, they were keeping Zelena in a cell. And Zelena hasn't done half the things to Robin that Adalind has done to Nick on Grimm.

Is it a sign of impending apocalypse when this show actually comes out with less hazy morality than something else?

• Love 1

Yeah Grimm fucked up that storyline. Both fairytale shows decided to do the same storyline but you'd almost expect Once to screw it up and Grimm to get it right but here OUAT did a better job in that they are treating Zelena as the bad guy while Nick is happy with Adalind. 

What Once does wrong is they refuse to make this baby stuff about Robin. It's more about Regina and her sister. Still a better result than what Grimm did.

I like how much Hook pisses people off and seeing Regina in pain. I'm mean.

• Love 1

Desperately looking for something positive in the light of 5x08..

when this awful DO Emma and Killian arc is finally over they should be closer than ever having shared this experience. Killian might have valiantly attempted to empathize based on his dark pirate years before but now he will have intimate firsthand understanding that cannot be rivaled by any other couple. Nimue and Merlin might have come close if they"d had the chance.

• Love 1

I loved the music in 510. I used to think Hook's pirate theme was a little plodding, but for this episode they really gave it a lift and elaboration with thematic variants and more. It might have made the Dark Duo more campy than they meant them to be, but Hook was so erratic and unhinged that it works really well.

Also, the way Hook smiled and welcomed Rumple on deck for a fight to the death was chilling, because I knew that he was evil and unstable, but that smile was so personable.

After the midseason finale left me disappointed overall, I thought I'd share what I did like here.

*Colin/ Killian: The man is not hard to look at and once you're past that, man, are you rewarded! Wonderful character stretching and background. Intense scenes with Jennifer/ Emma. Hook has a way with snappy banter. Wardrobe and makeup love the guy and who can blame them? Thank you, Colin, for your work, but especially in this half season!

*The return of the red leather jacket! When Emma is most herself, it's there. Plus, that pop of color was welcome in the dimness and darkness of the metaphorical and DP-directed kind.

*Snow's lavender coat. I like it a lot, nothing deep.

*Baby Killian!  This casting director is spot-on for tiny doppelgangers for this cast. Kudos again!

*Kelly, Hunter and Pistachio! Call that girl Kelly Hunter Pistachio West, or KPH West- fastest witch in town!

• Love 5
Wardrobe and makeup love the guy and who can blame them?

Don't forget the lighting people. There were several scenes where it was really dark and everyone in the scene was wearing black, and the only color in the scene was his eyes, glowing blue because they were lit just so to bring out the color in all that darkness. It was especially vivid in the scenes where he had tears in his eyes, since blue eyes tend to look more intense with crying. I think Colin may be the most attractive male crier on TV since Arthur Darvill on Doctor Who (managing to have the tears spilling out without bad "cry face" and without looking like he's trying to cry or trying to stop it, and meanwhile the blue eyes start really popping with the tears).

• Love 5

I like that this show doesn't treat Hook's missing limb as something to make fun of. Well other than Regina but she's always a butt to everyone.

And he called her out on it in the mid-season finale, which thank you!

Zelena and Pan have mocked Hook's one-handedness too. Even Emma did when she was mad at him over the dumb Kiss Curse. And in Neverland, when Hook was trying to light the lamp inside Baelfire's cave, David snatched the flint from Hook to light it himself. Even the fact that no one else has called out Regina for making "one-hand" jokes is bothersome. But then, no one calls Regina out on anything unless they themselves are either cursed or Dark or mad. So, no--the Show does occasionally treat Hook's missing limb as something to make fun of, but mostly in contexts that show it to be a Bad Thing. 

That's what I mean. You know its something bad and we're not meant to find it funny. I also like that they don't want to give him his limb back.

What I don't like is all the other problematic stuff the show refuses to talk about mostly because it's about Regina lbr.

After reading teasers for the new episode, I'm really excited. I have been missing this show since it went on hiatus. I don't care who is front and center. I don't feel the need to be pro/anti-Regina or pro/anti-Hook. They are both part of the show and I find positivity in all of it. :)

• Love 1

I still plan my Sundays around Once. 

Person: Wanna go for drinks?

Me: When?

Person: Sunday.

Me: What time?

Person: 7ish, 8ish?

Me: *snorts* before backing out of the room slowly.

This is why no one calls me on Sundays anymore.

Watching that roundup clip they did for the 100th episode anniversary, I realize that I still love this stupid show so much, and I'll be really sad the day it comes to an end.

• Love 6

Watching that roundup clip they did for the 100th episode anniversary, I realize that I still love this stupid show so much, and I'll be really sad the day it comes to an end.

I noticed how many different stories, characters, and worlds we've gotten to see just from one show. Not just random elements the writers came up with either - I mean big headliners. I don't think we'll ever get something quite like that again. Though the CGI and writing aren't always the best, the show still provides plenty of candy for the eyes and the brain. It's my weekly addiction.

There are definitely better shows (which I watch), but I've become so attached to the characters I can't seem to let go. Even when it gets hokey, I can discuss it here. There is a strange draw, at least for me, when it comes to its own special brand of cheesiness.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

The 100th episode party made me realize I'm so not ready for this show to end yet. I could take a couple more seasons. (As long as the cast stays.)

Absolutely.  I don't want to think about what I'll do with myself when it truly ends.  I really have never loved a show as much as I do Once - plot canyons, remedial special effects, and REC's (love this acronym!) included. And YaddaYadda, I had to laugh at your post, because that's totally me too!  My family knows better than to even ask me for anything, plan anything, or call me about anything from about 3pm and later on Sundays.  Absolute no go.  I feel that at some level I should be slightly alarmed by this, but I just don't care, lol.  I'm absolutely stoked for 5b to come back.  And I'm still freaking the hell out over 5.15.  Seeing Liam again was like the only thing I ever wished for.  Can't nobody bring me down from that!

Edited by Lieutenant

It's only a matter of hours until the premiere! I'm so excited to see the Underworld. It looks like a mix of Twilight Zone and film noir, which is fun. 

My friends can't understand it. It's a stupid, silly show, but it's our stupid, silly show. I'm just happy the hiatus is almost over.

I know how you feel. 

We are halfway through 5B now, and I am still amazed and impressed at how evenhanded the hero-villain victory ratio is. Rather than just having the villain beat the heroes over and over until the last minute, we keep getting small victories on both sides, which makes the conflict much more interesting. Hades is one of the best villains we've had for this alone.

Also, Greg Germann is a delight. He juggles campy, menacing, and sympathetic, and he actually makes it all gel together.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 2

I don't really think Hades is menacing but he does camp well so I'm entertained.

I like that Regina is way more likable in this half season. She has learned to shark appropriately.

I also like that we've gotten more Snow and Emma which is good because I can see these writers taking that away from me like they did in S3.

On a shallow note, Hooks hair is growing on me. I liked how he pushed it back sexily with his hook last week. Someone tell Hook his hair is sexy pushed back.

• Love 1

Snow's been great, Regina's been good, I've been enjoying Zelena, CS have been their usual good selves. The blind witch is wonderful, Cruella's a gift, holes in the story have been filled...

I've been pretty happy with 5b. I really think they put some thought into trying to fix some of the problems the fandom has been voicing for a while now.

I've been rather pleased with 5b.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

I actually liked 5A a lot,  and 5B has been mostly good so far. The Blind Witch gets the award for the most successful return-character. Cruella is a hoot too. Snow White seems to be really back. And as others have said we seem to be getting some answers and closure this season. 

• Love 1

I actually liked 5A a lot, and 5B has been mostly good so far.

I also really enjoyed 5A and feel like it gets more flack than it deserves. Even though 5B is set in the Underworld, dealing with Emma being a Dark One felt more epic in scale and it produced some really beautiful and iconic scenes. The reveal of Excalibur being a part of the Dark One dagger, the Camelot Ball, the Captain Swan kiss(es) in the flower field, Emma using dark and light magic to release Merlin from the tree, Emma screaming at Nimue that she isn't nothing, and the reveal of Dark Hook rising from the vault are all epic visuals that 5B hasn't come close to topping in my opinion. 

• Love 5

Even though 5B is set in the Underworld, dealing with Emma being a Dark One felt more epic in scale and it produced some really beautiful and iconic scenes. The reveal of Excalibur being a part of the Dark One dagger, the Camelot Ball, the Captain Swan kiss(es) in the flower field, Emma using dark and light magic to release Merlin from the tree, Emma screaming at Nimue that she isn't nothing, and the reveal of Dark Hook rising from the vault are all epic visuals that 5B hasn't come close to topping in my opinion.

Replying in All Seasons.

I thought all the stuff with Jekyll and Hyde and the Steampunk world were great, I really enjoyed all of that. The Steampunk world was really creative and interesting, I hope that we get to see it again. I also really liked the stuff between Hook and Charming. Lots of hugs and touching this episode, it made me really happy. I also liked the actors who played Jekyll and Hyde, and I thought it was a decent take on the story. Good job, show.  

• Love 2