Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01 - My Big Fat Greek Yacht Emergency

• Start Topic

Capt. Sandy embarks on a new charter season in Athens, Greece; she welcomes back familiar face Aesha Scott to serve as her chief steward; provisions fail to arrive before the guests and the yacht crew is forced to scramble.

Everything-to-Know-About-Below-Deck-Med-Season-9-From-Aeshas-Return-to-Captain-Sandys-Proposal-0.webp

• Like 2

I think they did Greece in one of the previous seasons.

Still such a beautiful location.  I've been researching a second trip and even looking to stay for a night or two in Sounion, to see the Temple of Poseidon at night.

Have they ever had such a provisioning problem in all of the BD shows?  Makes you wonder if the production had something to do with it, either they did poor planning or deliberately withheld certain supplies to make the crew scramble.

No big deal if the social influencer guests are inconvenienced.  They were probably recruited.  One of the deckhands were impressed that they were so young and had the money to charter a luxury yacht.  But again, if these guests were recruited by the show, they're probably not paying that much if at all.

Had enough of the social influencer guests and this was like a sausage fest, maybe one or two women in the group?

Of course these guests were very demanding, wanting the hot tub filled late at night, wanting a lot of drinks and snacks well after midnight.

The stew and the female deckhand should have simply told them, the kitchen is CLOSED.

But they wanted these scenes of the stew trying to wake the chef up.

Why was the yacht a mess?  Did they shoot immediately after the previous season of BDM wrapped up?  You see the crew partying there last night and just doing their show biz exits one by one.  So they didn't hire some cleaning services to at least partly clean up the place, maybe do a deep clean?

Sounded like the new cast had to do a LOT of cleaning up and they started late in the afternoon too.

Maybe that's what they wanted for the first episode.  Obviously the arrivals are staged so they're coming in one by one and they could schedule it whenever, like have them arrive 2 days before first charter rather than something like 18-20 hours before the first charter.

Then the whole deal with the provisioning.  Who orders the provisions before Aesha supposedly arrived there?  I think Aesha said she only got a fraction of the provisions she ordered so she probably did order before her arrival as shown in this episode.

I forgot where they were based in the last BDM season.  Was it Genoa?  So they've had had to sail quite a bit to get to Athens (I know the port is well south of Athens, which is not on the coast).  Doubt that Sandy is the one sailing it all that way, probably the engineers and some temp crew.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Well I thought I would never watch BD Med again (or any BD), but they are in my hometown, they go to islands I have spend whole summers in and Aesha is back and  I love Aesha. So  I will try. Not sure for how long I will cope.

We had the usual fake emergency, this time with provisions.
Of course this is an artificial crisis scripted by the production. We are in Athens. There is NO WAY the provisioner would leave the boat without drinks. Even if the provisioner had a stock issue, there are a bazillions of other  places to buy alcohol for your client. 
And If it was such a problem, Sandy, the micromanagement queen, could go and shop around the Marina to temporarily cover the needs of the guests. 
Even in Aegina island, the boat's first destination which is basically an Athens suburb, you can buy some good Rose or Red Wine.

The other crisis seems to be waking up the Chef in the middle of the night to make grilled cheese toasts.  Lol.

To be honest I prefer provisions crisis than the usual "sex on boat" ones. Although I am sure the later will also occur sooner or later. 

This year it seems we will have Sandy's wedding, I saw the proposal on the preview, not sure if the actual ceremony will happen on this yacht.

So far, I cannot tell much on the crew. Sandy is Sandy (personally I do not mind her, except when she is starts talking in that frustrating motivational tone - meh)

And its kind of a surreal fun to see products in the galley that I have in my own fridge :D

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Wow- no one is watching, huh? Manufactured provisions drama. At least it is different from the usual manufactured drama of an utterly green stew/deckhand. oh wait, we had that too. Why do I still watch? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
25 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

Did I hear the deckhand from Ireland say he likes to "finger blast his bumhole before bed"?

Sure did.

Also heard the 3rd stew say that while she's been yachting for 2 years, she's never successfully finished a season. So she was cast just to be first one fired. 

Similarly, the oft mentioned leak in the forward crew cabin was used as the reason they couldn't have a 4th stew...which is obviously needed on that large a vessel. They're making Aesha work for that paycheck!

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, snarts said:

Similarly, the oft mentioned leak in the forward crew cabin was used as the reason they couldn't have a 4th stew...

I think the main leak is the one of brain matter from the production people who script this show ;)

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
55 minutes ago, aghst said:

Still such a beautiful location.  I've been researching a second trip and even looking to stay for a night or two in Sounion, to see the Temple of Poseidon at night.

Have they ever had such a provisioning problem in all of the BD shows?  Makes you wonder if the production had something to do with it, either they did poor planning or deliberately withheld certain supplies to make the crew scramble.

No big deal if the social influencer guests are inconvenienced.  They were probably recruited.  One of the deckhands were impressed that they were so young and had the money to charter a luxury yacht.  But again, if these guests were recruited by the show, they're probably not paying that much if at all.

Had enough of the social influencer guests and this was like a sausage fest, maybe one or two women in the group?

Of course these guests were very demanding, wanting the hot tub filled late at night, wanting a lot of drinks and snacks well after midnight.

The stew and the female deckhand should have simply told them, the kitchen is CLOSED.

But they wanted these scenes of the stew trying to wake the chef up.

Why was the yacht a mess?  Did they shoot immediately after the previous season of BDM wrapped up?  You see the crew partying there last night and just doing their show biz exits one by one.  So they didn't hire some cleaning services to at least partly clean up the place, maybe do a deep clean?

Sounded like the new cast had to do a LOT of cleaning up and they started late in the afternoon too.

Maybe that's what they wanted for the first episode.  Obviously the arrivals are staged so they're coming in one by one and they could schedule it whenever, like have them arrive 2 days before first charter rather than something like 18-20 hours before the first charter.

Then the whole deal with the provisioning.  Who orders the provisions before Aesha supposedly arrived there?  I think Aesha said she only got a fraction of the provisions she ordered so she probably did order before her arrival as shown in this episode.

I forgot where they were based in the last BDM season.  Was it Genoa?  So they've had had to sail quite a bit to get to Athens (I know the port is well south of Athens, which is not on the coast).  Doubt that Sandy is the one sailing it all that way, probably the engineers and some temp crew.

The first season was filmed in Greece, with Captain Glenn, who has since died. I remember the scenery was stunning, although deckhand Jen thought it was boring and that she missed her dog and Starbucks and wanted to go home. Yeah….burned coffee vs. the Aegean. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, RoseAllDay said:

The first season was filmed in Greece, with Captain Glenn, who has since died. 

Not Captain Glenn from Sailing Yacht? He seems to be around still. Was there another Glenn?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I posted this over on the media thread, but it looks like this season was thrown together last minute to replace Sailing Yacht with whoever was available at the time. That explains the provisions snafu: they weren't ready for them, and it wasn't actually charter season yet. It also explains why the boat was such a mess when the crew arrived, you could tell it had been put up for the season.

I do not remember Elena except for the Playboy Bunny costumes. Everyone else is new. 

I wouldn't consider the guests "influencers" although the primary is in fact somewhat internet famous. But what do you call guys who post shirtless pics of themselves on Instagram so people will sign up for their Only Fans account? Is there a name for that?

I don't understand this recurring issue with late night snacks, we just saw this on BD last season. Obviously some guests are going to stay up late and want drinks and snacks, why isn't there something on the ready just in case? Something that can quickly be thrown in the toaster oven or microwaved. Nachos, chips, popcorn, maybe a veggie and cheese tray. Just something on hand. Especially when the guests are so young, this should have been expected.

2 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

Did I hear the deckhand from Ireland say he likes to "finger blast his bumhole before bed"?

No, it was Joe, the dark-haired one from Liverpool. Nathan is the deckhand from Ireland. Who replied "I might join you in that," for what that's worth. 

1 hour ago, RoseAllDay said:

The first season was filmed in Greece, with Captain Glenn, who has since died.

Oh, I didn't know that! Sad.

2 minutes ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Not Captain Glenn from Sailing Yacht? He seems to be around still. Was there another Glenn?

Yeah it was a different one, I remember him.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

That explains the provisions snafu: they weren't ready for them

Trust me, I am in Greece and related to tourism industry, the whole provisions thingy is a fake crisis. It is just a small yacht in a city of 5millions that lives and provides for tourism and there are plenty of suppliers to cover the demand. Hell, if it was such an emergency they could have gone  and shop in the dozens of shops around the Marina or order online. This is not a location in a small island in the middle of nowhere. 
I can't remember which BD and when, but I do recall the Chef going out to shop for the needs of the boat.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I posted this over on the media thread, but it looks like this season was thrown together last minute to replace Sailing Yacht with whoever was available at the time. That explains the provisions snafu: they weren't ready for them, and it wasn't actually charter season yet. It also explains why the boat was such a mess when the crew arrived, you could tell it had been put up for the season.

I do not remember Elena except for the Playboy Bunny costumes. Everyone else is new. 

I wouldn't consider the guests "influencers" although the primary is in fact somewhat internet famous. But what do you call guys who post shirtless pics of themselves on Instagram so people will sign up for their Only Fans account? Is there a name for that?

I don't understand this recurring issue with late night snacks, we just saw this on BD last season. Obviously some guests are going to stay up late and want drinks and snacks, why isn't there something on the ready just in case? Something that can quickly be thrown in the toaster oven or microwaved. Nachos, chips, popcorn, maybe a veggie and cheese tray. Just something on hand. Especially when the guests are so young, this should have been expected.

No, it was Joe, the dark-haired one from Liverpool. Nathan is the deckhand from Ireland. Who replied "I might join you in that," for what that's worth. 

My bad….it was Mark Howard who passed….just occurred to me…sorry.

48 minutes ago, snarts said:

It was Captain Mark Howard. Season 1, before we got stuck with the insufferable Sandy. Sadly, he passed away in 2021.

https://screenrant.com/what-happened-captain-mark-howard-below-deck-mediterranean-season-1/

Yep. Just occurred to me I was wrong. He and Glenn, though, had the same easygoing vibe. IIRC, Mark’s wife found him at home. I’m guessing natural causes. Very sad.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1

I agree that the chef should put together some late night snacks for guests just in case. However, if guests want an actual 4th meal or real food late at night, they should put that in their preference sheets, so it can be planned out in advance. 

I felt bad for Ellie- she was in over her head. I wish she had woken Aesha first. Now Sandy is going to come down hard on Ellie for waking the chef, even though Sandy herself woke up Chef Tom to slice a cucumber.  Are we surprised at Sandy’s inconsistency?

I agree with other posters that wine should have been procured at the marina as soon as it was apparent that they were shorted. Instead, they believed the provisioners who kept promising imminent deliveries. I hope this wasn’t production shenanigans, because that would be crossing the line.

I’m not overly fond of the guests, but I do think the hot tub should have been prepped, not just for the evening, but before they stepped on the yacht. If I were them, I would be upset with the continued issues with provisions. They even suggested going back to the land to purchase wine. (The crew has a tender.)

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Trust me, I am in Greece and related to tourism industry, the whole provisions thingy is a fake crisis.

I wouldn't put it past the show to screw with Sandy, they always seem to throw something at her. But these shows are contracted with very specific provisioners, and they weren't supposed to start filming this season for several months. They usually have plenty of lead time to order everything they're going to need for this show, they get all the preference sheets in advance, and they just didn't have enough time this time. 

It's not like they can just go "Oh you don't have what we need? We'll call someone else then." It doesn't work that way, they have contracts. Plus the provisioner kept saying it's coming, it's coming, and it just never did. I find it believable they were just scrambling because they weren't ready. 

That makes more sense to me, anyway, than the producers calling up the suppliers and saying "Hey, Psst, pretend like you're sending stuff but don't send anything! It'll be hilarious!" It's enough of a shit show as it is, hiring incompetent and/or belligerent employees and making the crew jump through hoops planning theme parties and beach picnics. They don't need to pretend something has gone wrong when it really hasn't. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

I remember on one BD Ben the chef went into town to provision the ship and spent thousands and thousands of dollars.

Buying liquor in time should have been paramount.

BTW Sandy...in water toys are important but so is a full hot tub at night.

Lots of things to have on hand for late night snacks...pizzas, charcuterie, crudites and dips, special popcorn, nachos etc.

• Like 8
15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Thanks for the clarification. 😄

(edited)
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I wouldn't put it past the show to screw with Sandy, they always seem to throw something at her.

Why you think Sandy was not aware of the shenanigans? Or even the guests? or even the rest of the crew? I am surprised after watching BD for many seasons you still  believe this kind of drama is genuine (or any drama in these BD boats).
Look, you have to trust me on this, THERE IS NO WAY the boat would leave  for the charter without all the provisions needed on board. You do not offer luxury services and sail "empty handed". With no wine and no champaign at all. 
5mins walk from the Marina, there are plenty of shops that sell Dom and good Rose and Red wine. You send your crew to buy some till your production provisioner decides to provide you with. Even in the island they went, there are plenty of sources to buy good liquor. 

In any case, in this industry you do not just wait when and if your provisioner would do his job, you have to keep the client happy. So this is just artificial drama.

Like the rest of little dramas in episode one.
A good Stewardess, like Aesha is, would tell the noobie exactly what to do with the cloths and not wait for 5h and after the guest's complaints to do so.
An average Bosun would have the tab ready for the guests.
As for "wake the chef" drama, they are always prepared for some late snacks and the stew in charge should know how to handle the situation. There was plenty of toast bread in the galley, I have the same brand in my kitchen, lol.
All of this, are "scripted" one way or another. Either the crew is completely ignorant (Aesha is not) or the production leads them on how to act.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 8
18 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

Who does that or who does that an announces it on TV? What is wrong with him?

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
34 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

It was a joke.

Was it?

Historically the deck crew guys have been crude, unnaturally horny assholes (no pun intended here), who think only with their dicks, and think of the women on board as their playthings for self gratification only so hearing how one of them needs to finger himself to get to sleep...did not sound like a joke. 

Just now, Baltimore Betty said:

Was it?

Historically the deck crew guys have been crude, unnaturally horny assholes (no pun intended here), who think only with their dicks, and think of the women on board as their playthings for self gratification only so hearing how one of them needs to finger himself to get to sleep...did not sound like a joke. 

In all fairness @sugarbaker design I felt like Julia Sugerbaker typing out my post.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
8 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Was it?

Of course it was, it was two bros trying to out gross their new roommates.

8 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

In all fairness @sugarbaker design I felt like Julia Sugerbaker typing out my post.

And for that, you have my undying admiration.  😉

• Like 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Zaffy said:

n any case, in this industry you do not just wait when and if your provisioner would do his job, you have to keep the client happy. So this is just artificial drama.

This is a TV show. This isn't a "real" charter. You can't judge what would happen on an actual charter versus what they do on this show. 

4 hours ago, Zaffy said:

THERE IS NO WAY the boat would leave  for the charter without all the provisions needed on board.

Sure they would, if it's a TV show and they have a filming schedule to stick to, and the provisioner is telling them they will get their supplies in time. A filming schedule dictates when they have to leave and when they have to come back, not whether or not there's enough wine. The guests asked if they could run out and get some but there is probably a liability issue once they're on the boat and the show is responsible for them. 

Consider what you're suggesting. There's some actor on the phone pretending to be the provisioner. Sandy and Aesha are pretending they don't know this. They're all reading from a script. The show is really in charge of sending supplies from some other source and is deliberately delaying the shipments and then shorting them. The chef is also in on the gag. Maybe the guests too. They're all play actors. There's a director who's on deck, running lines with them. He yells "Cut! Aesha, say that again, only this time, yell louder!" 

OR - 

The provisioner fucked up.

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

4 hours ago, Zaffy said:

I am surprised after watching BD for many seasons you still  believe this kind of drama is genuine (or any drama in these BD boats).

I am surprised you still watch this show if you believe it's scripted to the extent you are suggesting. I've done as much of a deep dive as is possible with these shows to be reasonably convinced they don't do that kind of shit. Unless everyone is lying through their teeth, including the people who no longer work for the show and have no skin in the game, and crew members who were made to look awful and potentially ruined their lives. You'd think by now at least one of them would have come forward and claimed it was all a scripted ruse and they were just pretending.

They threw this season together at the last minute and nobody was ready. It's really just that simple, I don't see any need to assign conspiracy to it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I thought it was really disgusting and disturbing, but also it was hilarious how they edited it to make it seem like that was literally the only thing he said all day and it came out of nowhere.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, aghst said:

Because it’s a TV show, the possibility of contrived narratives is rel.

Do you mean real? I don't think anyone is arguing this is real. I think everyone understands it's a TV show. I'm in agreement this would probably never happen on a real charter. But, it isn't. It's a TV show that was thrown together at the last minute. I don't think it's a stretch to believe nobody was ready. And that they have a production schedule to stick to which dictates the timing. 

They don't need to make up shit. They already stack the deck against them by shorting them one stew and hiring another who is clearly incompetent (and doubtless at least one other volatile employee). Plus saddling them with a charter full of internet party boys. They make the crew run ragged to the point of exhaustion because they know eventually chaos will explode. 

I think if you really break down the logistics of how production could manufacture entire scenarios and expect everyone to play along and never come forward no matter how badly they come off you are giving the show way too much credit. They have a lot of control over casting and editing, but I don't really think they have the power to manipulate the entire Greek yachting system. It's Bravo. I don't think they have that kind of reach. They threw this together and nobody was ready. It's really just that simple. No need to get out the tinfoil hats.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1

Thank you, iMonrey. I couldn't have said it better. Just go with it- if you nit pick every little detail and think everything is a set up and/or scripted, why watch!? I enjoy it for what it is. The constant criticism (as opposed to good old snark) is old.

• Like 5

This particular bunch of assholes were particularly odious, esp dealing with the stew (sorry, don't know her name yet) about mojitos, grilled cheeses and nachos.  They were so nasty and condescending I was hoping for a typoon. 

On the flip side I loved the female deck hand offering to make grilled cheeses!  "if I were butter, where would I be?"

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

This particular bunch of assholes were particularly odious, esp dealing with the stew (sorry, don't know her name yet) about mojitos, grilled cheeses and nachos.  They were so nasty and condescending I was hoping for a typoon. 

On the flip side I loved the female deck hand offering to make grilled cheeses!  "if I were butter, where would I be?"

As soon as those guests started asking for food I knew the chef was going to be a dick about it. The thing is finding your way around a strange kitchen, hunting down ingredients, learning how the equipment works, etc...Ellie was set up for failure.

• Like 4

Hard to believe she just went to bartender school but didn't know how to make a Mojito.

Wasn't there another situation when a crew arrived and had to set up the wholle boat? Sailing yacht, maybe?  Everyone's explanation of this being a last minute season makes sense. But they have 3 engineers and 4 deck c re w but only 3 stews?  And the girl deckie was a stew ? Sounds like a set up for making her a tweener or floater ir whatever they call it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

On 6/5/2024 at 7:01 PM, iMonrey said:

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

I am in Athens. I am related and worked in the tourism industry. And you are still in denial.  

Let's say this is a show about  a small hotel in Manhattan, New York. The provisioner of the hotel tells the manager that he can bring him champaign tomorrow, but the guests arrive today and have specifically  asked for champaign. The first thing the manager will do is to run to the nearest liquor store (which is located 5mins walk away) and buy champaign to have his clients satisfied until the actual provisions arrive. And if he can't run, he will order.
If the next day the provisioner keeps failing to provide, the manager stops working with him, and searches for a new provisioner, buys more liquor from local shops, orders on line, etc. 

It is the same thing with our boat. Zea might not be Manhattan, but probably has more shops that sell liquor. You think it is a schedule issue for Sandy to send two crew people away for 30mins to buy champaign from a shop VERY near by? The Micromanaging-everything Sandy? We even have Wolt here, you know the delivery service? They could have ordered from Wolt and had enough liquor in less than 60 mins. 

This is Athens, (I attach a picture to realize about how big this city is). Provisions are not an issue except you want it to be an  issue.
 These provisioners work with yachts exactly because they provide in time. And  if provisioners face a sudden lack of products, they usually ask  from a fellow provisioner to cover up for them.  

You keep saying it is a TV show. Well this TV show claims to show a real charter yacht. Maybe it used to be real, personally I do not think it is anymore.

As for the "scripting". Maybe they do not give their "crew" pages to read and act , but they can certainly lead them on how to behave or create the "drama" conditions with "shady" provisioners, badly maintained boats, leaking cabins, green crew that have never finished a season, etc etc. Or even give them certain guidance, like "do not buy provisions, leave your guests hungry and thirsty". 
And as someone already wrote here, in at least one episode the Chef went on shore to buy provisions. The commentator remembered Ben, I remember Rachel doing so.

In any case, of course you can believe what you want and enjoy this reality the  way that pleases you. But I can reassure you 100% the provisioner drama was fake.  

p.s. Have you watched the series Unreal? it is about a different kind of reality, but exhibits very well how the production can actually "script" a reality.

The_Acropolis_from_Mount_Lycabettus_on_October_5,_2019_(cropped).jpg

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 6/4/2024 at 1:48 PM, RoseAllDay said:

The first season was filmed in Greece, with Captain Glenn, who has since died. I remember the scenery was stunning, although deckhand Jen thought it was boring and that she missed her dog and Starbucks and wanted to go home. Yeah….burned coffee vs. the Aegean. 

Do you recall if they had problems with provisions?

On 6/4/2024 at 1:48 PM, RoseAllDay said:

On 6/4/2024 at 3:13 PM, iMonrey said:

I haven’t seen your theory posted before regarding the issues with the boat and provisions, but it makes a lot of sense. It explains the provisions and boat condition issues very well. Sucks that the interior crew has to suffer for those production decisions. I know there have been other production issues but the provision and the boat condition seemed to hit them very badly. 

Yes, you’d think they’d have the late night snack issue straightened out especially in light of last season. Wasn’t Chef Anthony fired due in part to him messing up the late night snack lobster grilled cheese? And it seems Sandy says you shouldn’t wake up a chef but I think she did herself once for a cucumber of all things? And this seems more involved than a cucumber.

On 6/4/2024 at 3:54 PM, Zaffy said:

Trust me, I am in Greece and related to tourism industry, the whole provisions thingy is a fake crisis. It is just a small yacht in a city of 5millions that lives and provides for tourism and there are plenty of suppliers to cover the demand. Hell, if it was such an emergency they could have gone  and shop in the dozens of shops around the Marina or order online. This is not a location in a small island in the middle of nowhere. 
I can't remember which BD and when, but I do recall the Chef going out to shop for the needs of 

On 6/4/2024 at 3:54 PM, Zaffy said:

I can't remember which BD and when, but I do recall the Chef going out to shop for the needs of the boat.

That’s great that we have someone from the board from Greece who can shed some light on these issues. I bet there was a whole scene edited out explaining the whole thing. Production probably convinced them that provision would fix the issue so they wouldn’t have to go out and get wine and maybe they protested but production nixed their request.

• Like 3
On 6/4/2024 at 5:10 PM, SemiCharmedLife said:

I agree that the chef should put together some late night snacks for guests just in case. However, if guests want an actual 4th meal or real food late at night, they should put that in their preference sheets, so it can be planned out in advance. 

I felt bad for Ellie- she was in over her head. I wish she had woken Aesha first. Now Sandy is going to come down hard on Ellie for waking the chef, even though Sandy herself woke up Chef Tom to slice a cucumber.  Are we surprised at Sandy’s inconsistency?

I agree with other posters that wine should have been procured at the marina as soon as it was apparent that they were shorted. Instead, they believed the provisioners who kept promising imminent deliveries. I hope this wasn’t production shenanigans, because that would be crossing the line.

I’m not overly fond of the guests, but I do think the hot tub should have been prepped, not just for the evening, but before they stepped on the yacht. If I were them, I would be upset with the continued issues with provisions. They even suggested going back to the land to purchase wine. (The crew has a tender.)

I didn’t see the preview for tomorrow but someone said that Aesha came down on the chef because on the preference sheet they asked for late night snacks. I don’t recall it mentioned on this episode at the meeting but maybe it will be explained tomorrow.

They are lucky they got these guests because older and more finicky guests would have been a lot harder on them. They’d probably also would have not tipped them high anyhow, but still I feel for the interior crew and their frustration especially Ellie in this case.

• Like 2
On 6/5/2024 at 7:11 AM, Zaffy said:

Why you think Sandy was not aware of the shenanigans? Or even the guests? or even the rest of the crew? I am surprised after watching BD for many seasons you still  believe this kind of drama is genuine (or any drama in these BD boats).
Look, you have to trust me on this, THERE IS NO WAY the boat would leave  for the charter without all the provisions needed on board. You do not offer luxury services and sail "empty handed". With no wine and no champaign at all. 
5mins walk from the Marina, there are plenty of shops that sell Dom and good Rose and Red wine. You send your crew to buy some till your production provisioner decides to provide you with. Even in the island they went, there are plenty of sources to buy good liquor. 

In any case, in this industry you do not just wait when and if your provisioner would do his job, you have to keep the client happy. So this is just artificial drama.

Like the rest of little dramas in episode one.
A good Stewardess, like Aesha is, would tell the noobie exactly what to do with the cloths and not wait for 5h and after the guest's complaints to do so.
An average Bosun would have the tab ready for the guests.
As for "wake the chef" drama, they are always prepared for some late snacks and the stew in charge should know how to handle the situation. There was plenty of toast bread in the galley, I have the same brand in my kitchen, lol.
All of this, are "scripted" one way or another. Either the crew is completely ignorant (Aesha is not) or the production leads them on how to act.

I’m convinced the production crew discouraged them from going to buy wine because they probably kept on saying the provisioner will resolve the issue and make up some lame excuse they don’t have time to go.

On 6/5/2024 at 7:34 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Is it just me or do they find the “bro” est of guys for the deck crew. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I finally watched the first episode. Despite not being a fan of Sandy, I might enjoy this season. The crew seems like a good time. 
Someone should have done an emergency wine run so they would have what they needed to get the show on the road. You can’t not have wine on a yacht. 
The laundry stew needs some training. I believe she was told what ugly ass shirts those dudes wanted ironed for selfies but she seemed to iron everything. 
The chef should always have a shelf on the pantry and shelf in the fridge labeled emergency snacks for the drunks.  Chips and salsa, hummus, some mini pizzas…..etc. The drunkards almost always want fed again when they have a late night. The stewardess should have been a little faster on her feet and brought them out something to shut their pig mouths up while she made their drinks. I don’t blame

• Like 1
On 6/9/2024 at 5:51 PM, realitytvfan1017 said:

I haven’t seen your theory posted before regarding the issues with the boat and provisions, but it makes a lot of sense. It explains the provisions and boat condition issues very well. Sucks that the interior crew has to suffer for those production decisions. I know there have been other production issues but the provision and the boat condition seemed to hit them very badly. 

Yes, you’d think they’d have the late night snack issue straightened out especially in light of last season. Wasn’t Chef Anthony fired due in part to him messing up the late night snack lobster grilled cheese? And it seems Sandy says you shouldn’t wake up a chef but I think she did herself once for a cucumber of all things? And this seems more involved than a cucumber.

Sorry, just saw this. Racking my brain. IIRC, the only dust-up came late in the season when Julia and Ben got into it over croissants. Guests (assholes, BTW) wanted some for breakfast, and Julia had Bryan go ashore and get some. Ben said the guests didn’t want them and he got on Julia’s case pretty hard about it, but he was being his usual ridiculous self. 

I’ve not been following BDM, but I find it very hard to believe that a luxury yacht would have continuing provisioning issues, other than the guests eating/drinking more than was estimated. This seems to be a recurring problem, though, so I agree that it could be production shenanigans (?).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 6/5/2024 at 8:33 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Was it?

This has been my biggest issue with most of the BD franchises. Bravo always seems to turn a blind eye to it. Also, men have been sexually objectified numerous times to please guests, which is also unacceptable. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 6/4/2024 at 10:11 AM, tvfanatic13 said:

Wow- no one is watching, huh? Manufactured provisions drama. At least it is different from the usual manufactured drama of an utterly green stew/deckhand. oh wait, we had that too. Why do I still watch? 

Why do you believe it's manufactured? I figured it could actually be real, or they got scammed if they paid $$ to this 'new' provisioner, yet none of the important/ expensive items arrived. No lobster, extra champagne, rose, etc & other items meant for main meals.

So is it people's belief that the first clients were asked to sub in, and they didn't offer much because they hadn't determined provisions yet for the real charters?

And Gael... I don't believe she has a "real" boyfriend.  I think she just said that so no one would hit on her before she met them properly.

• Like 1
On 6/11/2024 at 9:54 AM, Chatty Cake said:

The laundry stew needs some training. I believe she was told what ugly ass shirts those dudes wanted ironed for selfies but she seemed to iron everything. 

I think any clients who book a one night charter, yet state "all their clothes need steaming" are pushing it. Id probably bring the steamer to their room to do in front of them until they finally decline.

They're already short a stew, (for a boat that size) and this gal was told by Aesha to take their suitcase to laundry and "steam their clothes". Cripes, She had to read iron instructions to steam and she didn't know which shirts/pants to focus on.

But first charters are when the chief stew and bosun can see where help is needed.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 12:48 PM, aghst said:

The show's premiere season was filmed in Greece, but it was in some of the islands (I think Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos). 

Visiting Sounion during "August Moon" is a great idea.

The port of Pireus is by Athens, not really south, and connected to it (it's like one city), and the Zea Marina that was shown is in Pireus, as well. All the Athens suburbs in the southwest and south are on the water/coast. The area is called the Athens Riviera (from Pireus to Sounion).

I suspect the provisions issue was created by production in order to create drama.  

Edited by ZettaK
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 3:09 PM, TeapotWakeen said:

Yes. Captain Glenn Shepherd posted on his social media two days ago.

Edited by ZettaK
(edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 6:00 PM, realitytvfan1017 said:

I didn’t see the preview for tomorrow but someone said that Aesha came down on the chef because on the preference sheet they asked for late night snacks. I don’t recall it mentioned on this episode at the meeting but maybe it will be explained tomorrow.

They are lucky they got these guests because older and more finicky guests would have been a lot harder on them. They’d probably also would have not tipped them high anyhow, but still I feel for the interior crew and their frustration especially Ellie in this case.

Yes, it was in the preference sheet that the guests wanted late night snacks. Sandy was on Andy Cohen's Watch What Happens Live and a previous chef was in the audience, and they said that the chefs normally prepare snacks, and the chef should have done it before he went to sleep. He appeared unprofessional to me.

As for the guests being young, and easy going, the original BD had Jill Zarin of the NY HWs as a guest this season, and she was a nightmare. 

I stopped watching the franchise because it became really low brow (and I watch Bravo), but I watched the first episode of this season, and I recorded the second.

Edited by ZettaK
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ZettaK said:

The show's premiere season was filmed in Greece, but it was in some of the islands (I think Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos). 

Visiting Sounion during "August Moon" is a great idea.

The port of Pireus is by Athens, not really south, and connected to it (it's like one city), and the Zea Marina that was shown is in Pireus, as well. All the Athens suburbs in the southwest and south are on the water/coast. The area is called the Athens Riviera (from Pireus to Sounion).

I suspect the provisions issue was created by production in order to create drama.  

Some of those islands are long trips by boat.    I think even  hydrofoil takes over a couple of hours.

I bet they would love to anchor in Santorini within the  Caldera but if they allowed private yachts to do that, it would be crowded there and interfere with the  traffic it already has.

• Useful 1
20 minutes ago, aghst said:

Some of those islands are long trips by boat.    I think even  hydrofoil takes over a couple of hours.

I bet they would love to anchor in Santorini within the  Caldera but if they allowed private yachts to do that, it would be crowded there and interfere with the  traffic it already has.

It takes half an hour to go to Aegina, the closest to Athens (or really Pireus) island by hydrofoil. So, yes, it takes longer to go anywhere else (two and a half hours to Mykonos by hydrofoil).

• Useful 1
On 6/17/2024 at 11:49 AM, aghst said:

I thought they already did a show involving Santorini? (Years ago) Remember, one of the crew was dismissed and the final insult was watching him ride a donkey (that captain hired) to take him to the top of the city.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Chalby said:

I thought they already did a show involving Santorini? (Years ago) Remember, one of the crew was dismissed and the final insult was watching him ride a donkey (that captain hired) to take him to the top of the city.

Yes, in the first season. It was Greece, but different islands.

• Useful 1