Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelorette

• Start Topic

Okay, I forgot everyone’s names already, so bear with me… Um, except Chock (who can forget a name like Chorles?), so I’ll start with him. Chock and Joan had a really nice chemistry together. It reminded me of how Gerry had his first date with Theresa, and then I guess just imprinted on her as “the one.” I can see Joan doing the same thing with Chock. Though she also tried to make the prom king and ribbon dancer seem special and could be “the one” during their special time, it seemed genuine with Chock. Though, they did spend the whole day and night together, so that’s understandable that Chock would have a far lead over everyone else at this point. 

i’m kind of surprised that the loud Frank Sinatra guy was sent home. Granted, he was “too much” for Joan, but he seemed like this year’s Susan, as a loud-mouthed Italian who likes to cook for everyone and is the life of the party. Maybe two truly extra extroverts together is too much, but I can see him and Susan getting together if the Goldens co-mingle the way the younger contestants do.

The guy who’s getting paid $100 per load of laundry by Pascal really knows what he’s doing there washing 2 t-shirts, 2 shorts, and underwear and socks at a time. He’s going to end up charging Pascal $500 for these mini washes over what could have actually fit in the washing machine for $100. He has no chance with Joan, but pick up odd jobs around the house for extra cash to supplement your retirement income, while you can. Meanwhile the captain is fixing the garbage disposal for free! Long-time viewers know that the Bachelor mansion has fallen into disrepair after over 20 years being rented out. I guess good for them for bringing in a bunch of bored dads ready and willing to do dad stuff just to keep busy. Please, fellas, paint over those gold and red walls from circa 2000 next.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I’m in her age group and she and some of the guys just give off ‘old energy’, not sure I can even describe it.

Thank for saying that.  I'm 67, and most of the men seem like, I wouldn't really say old men, but I somehow don't feel like they'd be a good dating pool for me.  Maybe because I never had kids, so I don't have much in common with them and their incessant talk about their families?  😀

But also just from just looks alone, even though the oldest of them is only two years older than I am.  

That said, I was looking at their official biographies (I was going to say bios but these days with robots and AI taking over, I think I need to make a distinction) and the ER doctor is/was planning to climb Mount Kilimanjaro this Fall.  It's more of a long high-altitude walk, with no climbing skills required, but still.  We've seen only the tiniest snippet of any of these people's lives, but we do get an overall vibe and that vibe is definitely more old energy than adventure. 

• Like 3

I've only caught snippets of the episodes because Joan's "journey" doesn't interest me, but I think these guys look good for their ages and I don't get an old energy vibe from any of them.

Also, I can't see Joan doing cartwheels herself. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Honestly, if I ever went on Golden Bachelor (I've aged out of regular Bachelor (thankfully!)) Disneyland would be my fantasy one on one. Though my Dinner would be at the Blue Bayou where I would get the best Monte Cristo I've ever had. lol And I would totally be wearing a Cinderella princess dress. 

Same @Mabinogia! Although the experience might be marred slightly by a production crew following me all day and dictating where I go, what I ride (Dumbo? Seriously????)  and then teasing me by taking me to areas I only dream about only to have to sit and listen to a guy telling me his sad story.......

Like, hey ABC, buy me a lightning lane pass and I'll see you in three hours! 🤣

• Like 2
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

We've seen only the tiniest snippet of any of these people's lives, but we do get an overall vibe and that vibe is definitely more old energy than adventure. 

Most of these guys are in their early sixties (Mark is in his mid to late fifties!). I think the show is playing up the "old men" angle for the franchise, but I don't buy it. Early sixties is middle age to me. 

The ones giving old vibes to me were Bob, Kim and Charles. Keith, Mark, Jordan, Jonathan, and Guy seem more youthful to me. I don't know what it is about Chock, but he seems phony to me, as does Pascal.

• Like 7
20 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Honestly, if I ever went on Golden Bachelor (I've aged out of regular Bachelor (thankfully!)) Disneyland would be my fantasy one on one. Though my Dinner would be at the Blue Bayou where I would get the best Monte Cristo I've ever had. lol And I would totally be wearing a Cinderella princess dress. 

Yes!! I thought, what a great date!  I would much rather do that than jump out of a plane.  I kept wanting them to go on Pirates of the Caribbean and then have dinner at the Blue Bayou.  My favorite!!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Early sixties is middle age to me. 

But most people in their early 60s are not expecting to live to be 120.

As I said, I'm 67 and while I don't feel elderly, most people consider me so, based solely on my age.  It seems weird to me, but I'm getting used to it.  I'm almost 70, after all.

(Mark is in his mid to late fifties!)

He's 57, and the only one in his 50s, and he had an "in," which tells me they weren't casting for men in their 50s. 

I did notice that he said he likes traveling to visit his five kids, and doesn't have grandchildren yet, plus he spent his career in the military, so maybe he's a candidate for non-dramatic relocation.  (I don't even know if he's still in the running.)  That's probably more important than finding your soulmate, especially if you're not willing to relocate yourself away from your own family.

FWIW, Mr. Outlier is also 57, so maybe that's skewing how I look at these guys?  A lot of them look like they could be his father. 

• Mind Blown 2
8 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Like, hey ABC, buy me a lightning lane pass and I'll see you in three hours! 🤣

Speaking of ABC, in case anyone doesn't already know, Disney bought them many years ago, so there's that product placement/tie-in.

Nice to see a few people on the forum who share my opinion about Blue Bayou (and their Monte Cristo - that was always my GF's go-to).  In fact, I met her through Match.com when I said that I was once there and saw a couple kiss before one of them go up to go to the restroom and that was the kind of relationship I was looking for.  And here we are, watching GB together 19 years later. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

He's 57, and the only one in his 50s, and he had an "in," which tells me they weren't casting for men in their 50s. 

What do you mean, Mark had an “in”? Thank you!

Believe it or not, some of these guys look better than most of the guys their age, at least in New Jersey and New York. The guys here eat junk, eat excessively, don’t take care of themselves or their health. Don’t exercise. Drive rather than walk six blocks. 

I think they should start out with fewer candidates. So then the bachelor or bachelorette can spend more time with each before the dumping ceremonies.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Like 5
On 9/26/2024 at 11:23 AM, Ilovepie said:

I am completely distracted by Joan's face. Nothing on it moves except for her stretched thin yet puffy filler filled lips and her eyeballs. Her forehead and cheeks are completely immobilized. It's like looking at one of the animatronics at Disneyland! Speaking of......

I am a Disneyland fanatic and I am so jealous of their meal at 21 Royal! It's painful to see them there and no food actually eaten - hopefully they can actually enjoy the experience after being forced to have their sad "I watched my spouse/fiancé get sick and die" and "I love my family" speeches. 

I have to say none of these guys are that great. I like Gary, but he has no chance with her. I think Mark is the best choice at this point, but again, the geography is going to be a problem. I honestly can't get past that when I watch. Nobody is relocating and this is a waste of time.

Kim is this season's Kathy. He needs to calm down. Next week he's going to tell someone to zip it at this rate.

I’m going to Disneyland in October. My son married a woman who is a DisneyLand fanatic as all her siblings. I’m worried about the walking and standing in one place.  Ok French guy also has Botox forehead . When he said something about his salon included was a reference to “medical” .  
I agree with everyone’s opinion about these devoted family seniors no one is going to want to relocate. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Hi all, not watching Joan's season as I can't stand all the cosmetic surgery and I think she is an awful representation of a genuine senior woman. That said, I came here out of curiosity after reading that her season's viewership so far is about half of Gerry's. 

It seemed that many viewers didn't want Joan because of her disturbing face and I'm wondering if this is the main reason (sure there are others) for the low interest. Why don't these shows consider fan opinions? The same for DWTS promoting a criminal and toxic politicians. 

What do you think? Do these shows think shock value pulls us in? Have the antics of these reality shows really begun to turn you off? 

P.S.:  Thanks to whoever posted that photo of Joan before. A face like that ages gracefully with minimal care. Why on earth has she done this to herself?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Recyclorette said:

Hi all, not watching Joan's season as I can't stand all the cosmetic surgery and I think she is an awful representation of a genuine senior woman. That said, I came here out of curiosity after reading that her season's viewership so far is about half of Gerry's. 

It seemed that many viewers didn't want Joan because of her disturbing face and I'm wondering if this is the main reason (sure there are others) for the low interest. Why don't these shows consider fan opinions? The same for DWTS promoting a criminal and toxic politicians. 

What do you think? Do these shows think shock value pulls us in? Have the antics of these reality shows really begun to turn you off? 

P.S.:  Thanks to whoever posted that photo of Joan before. A face like that ages gracefully with minimal care. Why on earth has she done this to herself?

It was never going to do as well as Gerry's season since The Bachelorette ratings are consistently much lower than those of The Bachelor. But the main reason for the poor ratings is because the show is up against CBS's Survivor, which has dominated that time slot for years and likely shares a significant crossover audience with this show. Not sure if this is definitely the case, but it's possible that Joan's season isn't as big of a flop as the ratings indicate when delayed viewing numbers are taken into account.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

What do you mean, Mark had an “in”? Thank you!

He's a previous winner's father.  I think she showed up before the limo arrivals to introduce her father as one of the combatants.

15 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Ok French guy also has Botox forehead . When he said something about his salon included was a reference to “medical” . 

Thanks for the info.  He seemed kind of high maintenance with all his clothes, but I didn't notice the fixed forehead.  Bzzzzzzt.  A shame, because I thought he was one of the cuter ones.  I bet he would have aged just fine without botox.

But that does mean he doesn't have much room to talk about Joan's extensions.  I laughed when one of the men said something about her beautiful hair.  Bless his heart.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 9/18/2024 at 10:01 PM, Armchair Critic said:

I would have probably cut Pascal and Greg but they made it. I'm glad she kept Jack he is good for some laughs (and good meals). I like Jordan and Mark best so far and also Keith the first rose guy.

Aw hell no Gerry you should not be giving advice.

Why is Gerry even here.

• Like 2

I started another page somewhere else, so disregard it.  Like I said, I didn’t care for Joan last season, but warmed up to her now.  She seems kind .  So she has all her kids over for dinner every Sunday?  What’s her secret?  Mine are always busy, Altho at this point, they should be cooking for me.  All these guys are TOO CUTE, and most of them still have hair.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I’m going to Disneyland in October. My son married a woman who is a DisneyLand fanatic as all her siblings. I’m worried about the walking and standing in one place.  Ok French guy also has Botox forehead . When he said something about his salon included was a reference to “medical” .  
I agree with everyone’s opinion about these devoted family seniors no one is going to want to relocate. 

FYI .. my daughter was a character for seven years.  Shes married now with two boys and owns a Time Share at Wilderness Lodge.  Another fanatic.

• Like 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Recyclorette said:

I'll play, at least as far as the Golden franchises are concerned.

I watched both for one reason: dark curiosity.

• Would there be the same kind of contrived, OTT drama, backstabbing, and pettiness among the contestants as there is in the younger versions?
  • How foolish and undignified are they going to act in general?
  • How are they going to handle the Fantasy Suite?
  • And finally, (I'll be honest) how would I compare physically to these guys if I were willing to sacrifice my self-respect and pride to participate in this dumpster fire?  

Considering what went down with the Golden Bachelor's "wedding" (c'mon, was there really any expectation from anyone that that travesty would last?) and the hot mess that was the culmination of the last Bachelorette, I can't imagine that ABC expects anyone to take these shows seriously. But I suppose if you will broadcast it, they will watch...I did and I am, although probably not "for the right reason". 

Edited by Lone Wolf