Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/27/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, May 27 (ENCORE BROADCAST OAD: 5/1/24) – Whoopi shares her new book, “Bits and Pieces: My Mother, My Brother, and Me”

Tuesday, May 28 – Tony Goldwyn, Bobby Cannavale and Rose Byrne (cast, “Ezra”); Sunny shares the new book in her trilogy, “Summer on Highland Beach”

Wednesday, May 29 – Nicole Brown Simpson’s sisters Denise, Tanya and Dominique Brown (documentary, “The Life & Murder of Nicole Brown Simpson”); John Grisham (author, “Camino Ghosts”)

Thursday, May 30 – Brittney Griner (author, “Coming Home”)

Friday, May 31 – The Political View with U.S. Rep. Jasmine Crockett (D-Texas); Viggo Mortensen and Vicky Krieps (actors, “The Dead Don’t Hurt”)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I don’t think that was the word she wanted to say but I’m curious what it was. She usually doesn’t hold back.

I have a crush on Tony Goldwyn. He seems like such a sweet guy. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I don’t think that was the word she wanted to say but I’m curious what it was. She usually doesn’t hold back.

I have a crush on Tony Goldwyn. He seems like such a sweet guy. 

I'm thinking it was because Sunny immediately approved the word when Whoopi whispered it in her ear.

You are right, Bliss.  She was questioning the use of "gerrymandering."  I can't figure out why she thought it was a naughty word.

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Haleth said:

You are right, Bliss.  She was questioning the use of "gerrymandering."  I can't figure out why she thought it was a naughty word.

The action of gerrymandering is offensive so maybe Whoopi thought the word was as well.

21 minutes ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Was Jill Biden scheduled?  A cat in the hat is not a vote in the box.

Whoopie mentioned on Tuesday that the first lady was coming today but I do not think it was scheduled beyond that.

• Useful 1

25 minutes ago, js9548 said:

Whoopie mentioned on Tuesday that the first lady was coming today but I do not think it was scheduled beyond that.

Thanks.  When Whoopi starts speaking my mind starts to wander and I once again question her ability to tie her own shoes.  Crocs wearer for sure.

As for the Biden appearance, security issues, I suppose.  Was it a pre-tape?  I was trying to figure out if they were wearing the same outfits for Grisham's segment.

1 hour ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

As for the Biden appearance, security issues, I suppose.  Was it a pre-tape?  I was trying to figure out if they were wearing the same outfits for Grisham's segment.

I’m watching right now so I rewound to check and they are in the same outfits so I assume it’s the same live show. Dr Biden was on GMA this morning as well so she seems to be making a day of it in NYC. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Maybe Whoopi thought the ghost of Elbridge Gerry would be "up her behind" for slandering his name 🤔

“Gerrymandering” was named for Elbridge Gerry, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

As Governor of Massachusetts (1810–1812), Gerry approved a redistricting plan for the state senate that gave the political advantage to Republicans.  Someone observed that one of the districts looked like a salamander, and soon the process was known as “gerrymandering.”

https://prologue.blogs.archives.gov/2018/06/21/the-gerry-in-gerrymandering/

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, atomic said:

Maybe Whoopi thought the ghost of Elbridge Gerry would be "up her behind" for slandering his name 🤔

Just wanted to add Elbridge pronounced his last name with a hard G.  Jeopardy taught me this!

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
58 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Just wanted to add Elbridge pronounced his last name with a hard G.  Jeopardy taught me this!

A few years ago, John Mulaney had a funny bit on gerrymandering on Seth Meyers, where he discussed the mispronunciation.

ETA:  Here it is:

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

When he stated that he had to re-record part of his new book, am I correct in that John Grisham was trying to differentiate between W-oopi and Wh-oopi. I had never heard these options before.

I tried to listen hard but I guess I missed it. Which is the correct pronunciation?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Glitches said:

When he stated that he had to re-record part of his new book, am I correct in that John Grisham was trying to differentiate between W-oopi and Wh-oopi. I had never heard these options before.

I tried to listen hard but I guess I missed it. Which is the correct pronunciation?

Can someone tell John Grisham it's ok, Whoopi mispronounces people's names every other day!

6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Ah! Like the golden bachelor! 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

I wonder if Nicole Brown's sisters canceled or if they were pushed aside to accommodate Jill Biden. 

I was wondering the same thing. The sisters were on The Today Show this morning. The miniseries starts on Lifetime on June 1. There may still be a little time to reschedule before the premiere. 

Aww, man!  I wanted to hear more from Jasmine Crocket.  She has a lot of interesting things to say beyond her “bleached blonde” exchange. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I also wish we got another segment with Jasmine Crockett. As a Texan it's nice to see a politician in the spotlight who's not an utter embarrassment to the state for a change.

• Like 8
9 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Aww, man!  I wanted to hear more from Jasmine Crocket.  She has a lot of interesting things to say beyond her “bleached blonde” exchange. 

Just now, atomic said:

I also wish we got another segment with Jasmine Crockett. As a Texan it's nice to see a politician in the spotlight who's not an utter embarrassment to the state for a change.

She was great on the Hysteria podcast.  This was before the exchange with the butch blonde.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wait, the schedule at the top says she was supposed to be on tomorrow. Maybe the producers rearranged guests so the Brown sisters will be on tomorrow?

Maybe I was a little hard on Brittney Griner for overlooking that bit of THC in her luggage. Lately, there's been a number of tourists to Turks and Caicos who have been jailed for having ammunition in their luggage. I guess many people don't empty their luggage completely after a trip! It is also strange that these things don't seem to be found when entering the country, but when the people are leaving, which seems backward to me. Why would customs care about items that aren't allowed in-country when you are leaving? Clearly the workers manning the incoming stations aren't doing a terrific job if everyone is accidentally bringing these things from home.

Still, I think you should be more alert when you are going to places where they are very clear that there are severe sanctions for having some items when you travel.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Looking forward to tomorrow. 😊

The social media accounts for the show actually just announced that they added a live taping for tomorrow. Guess they were planning to air a pre-taped show, but changed things last minute in light of recent events. 😁

• Like 1

I think they're going to be insufferable tomorrow,  Sunny will have a new 6,000 word, time-wasting preface title for him.  Ana is furiously writing her stand-up routine disguised as off-the-cuff biting remarks.  Joy will try to dance a jig with DeNiro - both will be hospitalized in stable condition.  Whoopi won't be there to not call him by his name.  Sara will begin to speak but be drowned out by Sunny and Joy.  Her VYD segment will carry more weight.  Alyssa will be distracted, busy booking a flight out of the country. 

9 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Naw, Alyssa will tell us that it’s good for you know who. 

Yes, Mr. Persecuted.  Although I read 40% of his base said they would not vote for him if he was found guilty.  Must be the more independent-leaning percentage of his base.  We'll see. 

I wonder if they'll make Whoopi show up tomorrow.  Probably carry her on set kicking and screaming still wearing her pajamas.

• LOL 1
20 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I wonder if Nicole Brown's sisters canceled or if they were pushed aside to accommodate Jill Biden. 

Of course they were. And after the latest news, they'll probably be having a party and doing cartwheels on the show tomorrow.

@TheView: TOMORROW: All six of #TheView co-hosts will join the Hot Topics table LIVE to discuss former Pres. Trump being found guilty in his criminal hush money trial.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, atomic said:

@TheView: TOMORROW: All six of #TheView co-hosts will join the Hot Topics table LIVE to discuss former Pres. Trump being found guilty in his criminal hush money trial.

🙄🥱 Ear Plugs anyone?

17 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Maybe I was a little hard on Brittney Griner for overlooking that bit of THC in her luggage. Lately, there's been a number of tourists to Turks and Caicos who have been jailed for having ammunition in their luggage. I guess many people don't empty their luggage completely after a trip! It is also strange that these things don't seem to be found when entering the country, but when the people are leaving, which seems backward to me. Why would customs care about items that aren't allowed in-country when you are leaving? Clearly the workers manning the incoming stations aren't doing a terrific job if everyone is accidentally bringing these things from home.

Still, I think you should be more alert when you are going to places where they are very clear that there are severe sanctions for having some items when you travel.

Your luggage & belongings are very rarely searched or x rayed when entering a country but always when leaving a country or even flying within the same country, that's why your carry on goes through that machine before flying & not after you've flown.

She has not denied having the THC oil and must have thought other countries laws didn't apply to her and the same goes for the bullet carriers. I mean who doesn't check their bags for any left over food etc that may be hanging around from the last time that bag was used before packing for a trip? And in BGs case it was Russia she was in of all places, surely any normal thinking person would make sure they were squeaky clean when there given their penchant for throwing Americans in jail for looking at the wrong thing. 

No sympathy for any of them from me, sorry not sorry. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Yes, Mr. Persecuted.  Although I read 40% of his base said they would not vote for him if he was found guilty.  Must be the more independent-leaning percentage of his base.  We'll see. 

I wonder if they'll make Whoopi show up tomorrow.  Probably carry her on set kicking and screaming still wearing her pajamas.

That's when they thought there was no chance he would be found guilty, no way are they not voting for him, they're the same people who will now be calling it a conspiracy and that he never stood a chance.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

That's when they thought there was no chance he would be found guilty, no way are they not voting for him, they're the same people who will now be calling it a conspiracy and that he never stood a chance.

They may have been speaking of Republicans in general because not all Rs are Trump supporters.  And I agree with you about his base.  They are the definition of a cult.

• Like 3

Alyssa keeps talking about the appeals process. He needs to have some basis for appeal, some claim that there were errors committed.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Alyssa keeps talking about the appeals process. He needs to have some basis for appeal, some claim that there were errors committed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. They can file an appeal alleging all kinds of things but if there is no basis the appeals court will simply refuse to hear the appeal.  So once again Trump saying something without evidence isn't going to get him anywhere.

• Like 4
(edited)

That’s my understanding, blue.  (Altho I’ve never been a federal prosecutor. 😉)

Edited by Haleth

We all knew Alyssa was full of shit about her position on Trump & now her true colours are starting to show. Like 99% of republicans she is falling in line behind him no matter how much she tries to fool everyone that she would never vote for him.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Sorry to get off topic but has anyone else read Whoopi's book? I just did, and she had some good stories. The one about her mom shouting at Sidney Poitier from a bus and how mad she was at Whoopi for telling him years later made me laugh.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Sorry to get off topic but has anyone else read Whoopi's book? I just did, and she had some good stories. The one about her mom shouting at Sidney Poitier from a bus and how mad she was at Whoopi for telling him years later made me laugh.

It's on my reserve list at the library. I also have Sunny's latest book on reserve as well. I don't particularly like her books but part of the fun is reading them and seeing how tame the sex scenes are that she says are steamy.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
12 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Kinda wanted to see the sisters. 

HOLY PLASTIC SURGERY, BATMAN! I barely recognized Dominique, nor could I understand her. Denise still looks recognizable.

Shut up, Alyssa.

For once, in a long, long time, I'm with Sunny.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, Shrek said:

We all knew Alyssa was full of shit about her position on Trump & now her true colours are starting to show. Like 99% of republicans she is falling in line behind him no matter how much she tries to fool everyone that she would never vote for him.

really? i don't see that at all.  I think she realizes who he is and is decidedly against him.

• Like 7
(edited)
5 minutes ago, cinsays said:

really? i don't see that at all.  I think she realizes who he is and is decidedly against him.

She said on the podcast yesterday she will never vote for Trump.  She said you can be against Trump without supporting Biden. Although she did say she hopes Biden wins.

I believe her way more than I ever believed the one who sat in that seat before her when she said she would never vote for Trump.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I listened to it. She read it. I thought it was poignant in some places and charming in others. I do see how she behaves on the show but I think in real life she is probably different. Otherwise why would all those folks have what seems like a genuine nice story about her. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

HOLY PLASTIC SURGERY, BATMAN! I barely recognized Dominique, nor could I understand her. Denise still looks recognizable.

My mom keeps saying that she needs to visit the doctors on Botched because she can barely move her face and her whittled-down nose looks freaky.

The sisters are far more understanding about how the case went wrong than I’d be. I’d still be pissed at the jury and everyone else who celebrated that verdict.

LOVED Whoopi’s cackle when Sunny said that most people that were convicted of 34 counts of falsifying records would automatically get one year at Rikers.

• Love 1

Definitely would have preferred two segments from Jasmine Crockett, instead of Brittney Griner.  And Sunny, please stop acting like making a $250K salary is living in poverty. 🙄. Yes, the men make more, but the NBA brings in exponentially more money than the WNBA.  Facts. She chose to play in Russia, she wasn’t exiled there.

And I’m shocked that they didn’t walk out to “Celebration” by Kool and the Gang today 😂😂😂

• Like 4

Well I remember when the news of Nicole Brown AND Ron Goldman’s murder happened-and Denise was one of the many defending OJ. But now she’s saying she knew immediately that he killed her when she was informed of her murder? She did the gamut of talk shows then in the early days-defending him.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t think he killed them-he absolutely did. I think it was much later Denise admitted she was wrong to defend OJ. A better question would have been to ask why she defended him at first. Because that’s what she did.

Poor Ron Goldman.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well I remember when the news of Nicole Brown AND Ron Goldman’s murder happened-and Denise was one of the many defending OJ. But now she’s saying she knew immediately that he killed her when she was informed of her murder? She did the gamut of talk shows then in the early days-defending him.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t think he killed them-he absolutely did. I think it was much later Denise admitted she was wrong to defend OJ. A better question would have been to ask why she defended him at first. Because that’s what she did.

Poor Ron Goldman.

The only thing worse than someone being murdered by an abusive ex is when another innocent person that was trying to help or was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time winds up collateral damage too.

Wasn't Denise the one that testified about the abuse at the trial, and the jury basically dismissed her emotionality as “white woman tears”?

• Like 2