Type keyword(s) to search

Tales of Yesteryear: MotW and Miniseries of Yore - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/28/2015 at 8:43 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Does anyone remember a movie of the week about an abused wife that escapes to a shelter with the kids, but the husband tracks them down and shoots her in front of the children while they are having dinner with a friend? I can't remember the title...

When No One Would Listen.

• Thanks 1
On 10/2/2018 at 3:10 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Elizabeth Montgomery did a fantastic t.v. movie called Between the Darkness and the Dawn, where she plays a woman who spent 20 years in a coma and has to cope with the loss of her youth, the loss of her high school boyfriend to her sister who wound up marrying her, and a world that has moved on without her.

Yes, the sister was played by Karen Grassle. I remember being so jazzed that Samantha Stephens and Caroline Ingalls were not only in the same MOW, but as sisters who hated each other!! 😂

• Love 1

I dug up "Fallen Angel" on YouTube the other day. I didn't see it when it first aired (1981) as I was an infant, but I caught a rerun on Channel 11 years later. The guy playing the pedophile is unbelievably creepy. And the worst part is that he not only doesn't think he's doing anything wrong, he genuinely thinks it's RIGHT.

"I'm NOT a molester! Molesters force the kids and hurt them! I LOVE children!"

Edited by Camille
  • Love 2
On ‎09‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, TVFan17 said:

Sarah T. - Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic (this one was with Linda Blair, but, truth be told, I loved all of those "Portrait of..." movies, and there were several of them!!)

Dawn, Portrait of a Teenage Runaway - with a very un-Brady-like Eve Plumb.  I still remember this one decades later.

• Love 1

I watch a lot of soaps so I usually try to watch ones with soap stars I'm familiar with. I'm also noticing Amazon Prime has a lot available for free so I'm adding them to my wishlist to watch!

One that I just saw that I loved was called Always Remember I Love You starring Joan Van Ark and Patty Duke. Joan's character had an adopted teenage son who overheard his parents talking and found out he was not only adopted, but it was an illegal adoption. He ran away to find his parents and Patty Duke who played his real mother, took him in thinking he was a runaway. It was such a sad movie because here you had one mother whose son was kidnapped and she thought he was dead and then Joan's character knew it was an illegal adoption, but not that it was a stolen child. It seemed like her husband had taken care of everything. In the end the boy went back to his adoptive parents and left a note for his birth parents telling them how much he loved them and who he was. It was very well done for a tv film! It's on youtube if anybody wants to watch it.

• Useful 2

Does anyone else remember the 1989 British TV movie Precious Bane? It was shown on Masterpiece Theatre here in the US. Clive Owen recently appeared on my tv, and he made me remember the first time I saw him, back in that TV movie 32 years ago. It was also really early in Janet McTeer’s career.

They are both terrific as brother and sister Gideon and Prue Sarn in an England on the cusp of industrialization. He is an ambitious farmer desperate to make as much money as he can, and she is his supportive sister burdened by a cleft lip and occasionally suspected of being a witch whenever something goes wrong in the village.

The other actor who still shows up on other MT shows is John Bowe, who plays the itinerant weaver Kestor Woodseaves who falls in love with Prue. He is super sexy in a very earthy way, and you totally buy their connection. He showed up again a few years later as the first Prime Suspect in the Helen Mirren series.

It used to be on YT but it looks like it was removed. It is definitely worth tracking down!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Speaking of Masterpiece Theatre, there was a great one 20 years ago called "Reckless", where a surgeon falls in love with the wife of the Chief Of Staff at his hospital and resolves to win her. THIS is the main focus of the story. The fact that she's 10-15 years his senior is irrelevant.

I don't like the presence of the Good Adultery, Bad Adultery trope--her husband's affair is presented as despicable, while hers is the central love story, but other than that, it's very well written and acted.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 3
On 9/30/2018 at 2:59 PM, WhitneyWhit said:

Killing Mr. Griffin  Jay Thomas plays a hard ass teacher named Mr. Griffin who is kidnapped by some students (Mario Lopez and Amy Jo Johnson being a couple of them) in an effort to get revenge on him, but the prank goes wrong when Mr Griffin dies of heart failure.

This is very similar to the movie Teaching Mrs Tingle.

• Love 1
On 12/21/2019 at 4:33 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

This is very similar to the movie Teaching Mrs Tingle.

It's basically the same movie. Teaching Mrs Tingle was even supposed to be called Killing Mrs Tingle but they changed it due to Columbine.

• Love 1

Anybody remember "A War of Children" about the troubles in Northern Ireland? Jenny Agutter is in it.

Also "QBVII" which was a two-part miniseries starring Anthony Hopkins as a Polish doctor living in London who sues a Jewish author for claiming in a novel that he had sterilized hundreds of Jews in a concentration camp.  Ben Gazzara played the author.

13 hours ago, Badger said:

Anybody remember "A War of Children" about the troubles in Northern Ireland? Jenny Agutter is in it.

Is that the one where they sent a Catholic and a Protestant kid to live with a family in the US for the summer so they could see the other side wasn't evil?    There was a bombing during that time and one kid -- whose dad had been killed by their own side as a "traitor" -- was all "How many did we get?"

7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Is that the one where they sent a Catholic and a Protestant kid to live with a family in the US for the summer so they could see the other side wasn't evil?    There was a bombing during that time and one kid -- whose dad had been killed by their own side as a "traitor" -- was all "How many did we get?"

I don't remember as it's been some time since I saw it; it is on YouTube though.  I remember it's about 2 families - one Catholic, one Protestant - who are close friends and how they stop being friends because of what is going on.  The son of one family and the daughter of the other family fall in love.  i remember there is a scene where a woman is tarred and feathered for consorting with the enemy.

For some reason, Youtube recommended a movie called Sweet Hostage starring Martin Sheen and Linda Blair. I actually liked it and both of them were at their most beautiful. 

I doubt it would be made today! At least not romanticized like that.