Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Rodef

• Start Topic

The amazing thing about this show is that it makes me think everyone is simultaneously THE WORST. I watched the first clip and my immediate reaction was gawd, Mickey is such an asshole! So I was glad when Conor told him that Ray was right about Mickey being an asshole. HA! You yell at your grandson for barging in while you're trying on your burglar mask because obviously it's his fault that he interrupted you while he's having a crisis. I loved that Conor reminded him that Mickey told him to come over any time. Again I say HA! But aside from being a rude selish bastard, what annoys me the most about Mickey is how manipulative he is of his family who he claims to love. Telling Conor not to be mad was a dick move. Conor is allowed to be mad (or to quote JD on Scrubs, "Let me feel my feelings!") but Mickey is trying to guilt him out of being upset that Mickey was a dick. Classic abusive behavior.

Then I watched the second clip and my immediate reaction was gawd, Abby is such an asshole! While I understand not wanting to be bought off, let's have a reality check here. Abby has no job. To my knowledge, her family wasn't loaded and therefore haven't given her a buttload of money so that she is independently wealthy. If Ray goes to prison and his assets are frozen, how is she going to pay the mortgage and put food on the table? As far as we know, she hasn't had a job since they moved to California. At best she may have had a part time job in high school, but how is that going to get her a job now? So no, Abby, you aren't taken care of without Ray. Getting all uppity because he had the nerve to try to make sure that you and the kids have something if he does get sent to prison.

Damn it, the preview makes it look like Darryl got roped into being the getaway driver. I thought he had the good sense to stay away from Mickey's stupid scheme.

• Love 3

Hm, nervous for Conor. Telling someone to stay in a room never works out well for dramatic purposes. The room usually turns out to be extremely flammable.

That was a strange command, and difficult to see how it fits into the story line, given the other parts of the trailer.

My guess would have been that Mickey would drag Conor into the fray by having him say he was a witness to Mickey being in his room all night... but it doesn't look like that's the case from other scenes we've been shown.

I can't help but like Ray even when he's being an ass.  I mean, does anyone else get bad/scary/stressful news like that EVERY time he picks up the damned phone?  He's got everyone on his ass 24/7.  And his father is a selfish bastard.  This episode you saw just how he uses his charm to reel people in and then screw with them.  Ugh.  If I were Ray I would gladly go to the slammer for a few months just for the satisfaction of beating the crap out of him.

I feel sorry for Terry and Darryl but what were they thinking?  I was so hoping the parole officer would succeed in getting Mickey locked up again, although I was afraid his kids would go with him.  Now we've got the worst of both worlds and Mickey playing the victim.  Poor Shorty!!

I do feel sorry for Lena and Avi though.  I really like both of them.

I have never heard of this term Ezra is using to justify going after.....Kate?  Is it?  Or someone else now?  Or more than one?

But I cannot stand the Kate character.   She's such a trope.  I keep thinking of her as a Poor Man's Carrie Mathison.  I really want her gone for good.

• Love 3

It was weird that Cochran's wife had that revealing/possibly damaging breakdown at the press conference. Unless it was planned. She seemed so "ride or die" for her husband lol.

The reporter story lags and I hate it.

How long before the cops find the video when they book Ray? Which Donovan will shoot Cookie first. Ah questions....

• Love 2

I don't think that Cochran's wife planned that outburst to help him because otherwise she wouldn't have contradicted what he said about Volchek being depressed. I think she was genuinely upset (understandably since she saw him blow his brains out in front of her).

Mickey continues to be the worst.

I was hoping that Cookie and Abby's boyfriend would shoot each other so I would be rid of both of them.

• Love 4

As much of an asshole as Ray is, and he really is, it really bothers me how he is constantly defied and disrespected by everyone in his family.... then when shit hits the fan he is the first one called!

How many times does he has to tell Conor to stay away from Mickey? Yet as soon as some shit happens he calls daddy, why didn't you call your mom! Give her something to do!  Same with Bridg, he repeatedly told her to stay away from Marvin, shooting happens and it is all "Daddy help meeeee"

I cannot stand the reporter, even I want them to "deal" with her.

Mickey is the biggest piece of crap ever, I do not understand how he was ever a successful bank robber.  Poor Terry, poor Darryl "Mick needs me" my ass!

Abby ugh, just ugh.  Same with Abby's boyfirend, just ugh.

• Love 9

Anyone else think it's tough to hate Mick simply because they love Jon Voight as an actor? Everytime he starts down this 'oh my God why does everyone hate him, he ain't that bad' road but then shit hits the fan all over again. Also, what's this TFR acronym I always read about for the reporter? The field reporter or something more nefarious?

• Love 1

As much of an asshole as Ray is, and he really is, it really bothers me how he is constantly defied and disrespected by everyone in his family.... then when shit hits the fan he is the first one called!

How many times does he has to tell Conor to stay away from Mickey? Yet as soon as some shit happens he calls daddy, why didn't you call your mom! Give her something to do!  Same with Bridg, he repeatedly told her to stay away from Marvin, shooting happens and it is all "Daddy help meeeee"

I cannot stand the reporter, even I want them to "deal" with her.

Mickey is the biggest piece of crap ever, I do not understand how he was ever a successful bank robber.  Poor Terry, poor Darryl "Mick needs me" my ass!

Abby ugh, just ugh.  Same with Abby's boyfirend, just ugh.

Isn't that a type of co-dependency?  He keeps fixing the mistakes everyone around him makes, then he scolds them, then they go right back out and do pretty much the same thing again.

Terry is one of the folks in this show I've been hoping has a happy ending, but that doesn't seem possible now.

Anyone else think it's tough to hate Mick simply because they love Jon Voight as an actor? Everytime he starts down this 'oh my God why does everyone hate him, he ain't that bad' road but then shit hits the fan all over again. Also, what's this TFR acronym I always read about for the reporter? The field reporter or something more nefarious?

TFR = Tenacious Female Reporter

It amazes me that Conor has once again cheated death. Evolution should have taken him out long before now. Even by Donovan standards, that kid is astoundingly stupid. His future involves someone taking him out on a boat and shooting him in the head, I'm telling you.

Honestly, I have minimum sympathy for Terry. He knows exactly what his father is like and still chose to join Team Worst Robbers Ever, because crime is only okay if Ray isn't committing it? I can only hope his flaky wet blanket of a girlfriend leaves him and is never ever seen again. Mickey is a snake though. 

I root for Team Ray. He's a terrible person, but I still just want to buy him a holiday away from all these people. Maybe Steve should take him on an ocean break.

• Love 7

Best thing about this episode:  more Lena and Avi.  Although I don't like Ezra trying to manipulate Avi.  Liked that they finally made reference to Lena punching out her GF.

So Ray is going to jail, just not for the crime he was expecting to be arrested for.

How did Abby's BF think he was going to pull off shooting Cookie in front of two witnesses in the car, multiple bystanders in the street, and his own disbelieving partner? 

Very short ep.

• Love 3

Kate is like the "talking villain," who just yaps and yaps about their evil plans, giving their victims the time and distraction to escape. You've got your story, sister, now get the fuck out! And don't go looking for love from the guy who CHOKED you last night. Why give him a change to finish the job? God, the chicks on this show are idiots.

• Love 5

It amazes me that Conor has once again cheated death. Evolution should have taken him out long before now. Even by Donovan standards, that kid is astoundingly stupid. His future involves someone taking him out on a boat and shooting him in the head, I'm telling you.

Hopefully, Cookie tries to shoot Bridget, but Conor (still stoned) stumbles into the bullet's path whilst looking for M & M's.

• Love 1

The good thing is that for whatever happens in the next 2 episodes, Ray has an airtight alibi.  I'm guessing Avi is going to kill Kate and maybe Abby is going to kill Cookie.  And where is Ray?  In a holding cell.

RIP Shorty.

Yeah poor Shorty, he went out in a blaze of glory.  I knew Terry was going to get screwed by that job.  And you need a key to get OUT of the office?  Seriously, wtf?  Abby's cop bf is an idiot.  So was Ezra telling Avi that Kate's the rodent - er, rodef - or Ray?

• Love 1
Isn't that a type of co-dependency?  He keeps fixing the mistakes everyone around him makes, then he scolds them, then they go right back out and do pretty much the same thing again.

Yeah, I think it all comes back to Ray. He's trained them to think that he's always going to fix whatever happens. They don't have to be responsible or make good decisions because they know no matter what, Ray will fix it. Abby seems to have seen the fallacy in that thinking but then she goes off on her own wrong tangent with the cop boyfriend. Ultimately her only way out would be to find another wealthy man who'd be willing to take her and the kids. Of course, Ray would have to be dead or spending life in prison before that could happen.

• Love 3

The good thing is that for whatever happens in the next 2 episodes, Ray has an airtight alibi.  I'm guessing Avi is going to kill Kate and maybe Abby is going to kill Cookie.  And where is Ray?  In a holding cell.

I don't know about that.  Wasn't he just arrested for punching his father?.  That's a misdemeanor in California even if they bother to prosecute (often they don't between families unless the family member wants them to - which Mickey probably won't).  Even if they charge him, he'll be out the next day.

Edited by Cosmosgravitation
  • Love 1

Ray has the cell phone on him with the murder video.  If it is not in his pocket, it is in his car.  Someone will find it.

My guess is that Ezra was referring to Ray when he was sweet talking Avi.  Avi will kick Ezra's geriatric ass all the way to Tel Aviv.

Edited by Puddy

Honestly, I have minimum sympathy for Terry. He knows exactly what his father is like and still chose to join Team Worst Robbers Ever, because crime is only okay if Ray isn't committing it? I can only hope his flaky wet blanket of a girlfriend leaves him and is never ever seen again. Mickey is a snake though. 

I root for Team Ray. He's a terrible person, but I still just want to buy him a holiday away from all these people. Maybe Steve should take him on an ocean break.

I don't understand Terry at all. He won't take his girlfriend's offer to use some of her funds to get them started in Ireland because somehow that's not "honorable," yet getting involved in this stupid heist is? Terry is unhappy at finding out Ray's activities fund his gym to the extent that he's not cashing his paychecks, but meanwhile it's okay to go out and rob someone?

I just didn't buy a single one of these decisions by Terry at all. Terry's always been shown as being the most upright and stable one. Even his sexism at not taking his girlfriend's money feels false to me, because he isn't penniless. He does have assets even if he can't let go of the gym totally due to Ray's activities (which I didn't blame him for being upset about, although I couldn't totally buy that he wasn't aware before) -- even so, it's been made fairly clear many times now that Ray would do the right thing and pay Terry his legal share of the gym in order to start his life somewhere else.

Terry's ethics here just don't make sense. Worst case scenario, he has earned his cut of the gym, and Ray would certainly give him a chunk of that (Ray lives to throw money at loved ones as reparation). The idea that Terry has "no options" like he said at one point here just rang completely false to me.

I find myself rooting for Ray too. I don't know why, exactly, but there's a twisted honor to the guy that I like in spite of myself. The rest of the time, Liev plays him as a guy in so much pain he's inarticulate with it and about to shut down at any moment. (Which is why, even though Steve's an abusive creep, I almost like him for trying to help Ray find some peace, as nutty that might sound.)