Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: Community Service And The Key To A Happy Marriage

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

That's what I was wondering. I saw an article this morning that saw it as an explanation/re-interpretation of a line from BBT where Sheldon mentions getting messages from his brother's first ex-wife and his second ex-wife (when he wins his Nobel, I believe), and the title of the spinoff suggests that they are the same person. But that line still implies two separate messages from different people. But that interpretation also suggests that they were married, divorced, remarried, and divorced again (unless he marries someone else in between, but the article's interpretation didn't consider that). I can't see this new show lasting long enough for us to find out, though.

The only way they could make this fit with BBT canon is if they get divorced, Georgie marries someone else, then he divorces them and then he remarries Mandy because it's clear on an episode of BBT that Georgie had two separate ex wives.  The other option would be if he divorced Mandy then remarried her, divorced her again, married someone else and then divorced her too!

This article addresses this.  Emily Osment is hoping that they break with BBT lore and that she's the first and second wife.  But I don't think that would make any sense.

https://tvline.com/news/young-sheldon-spinoff-georgie-and-mandy-first-marriage-cbs-1235227844/

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

At first, I was willing to give the new spin-off a chance, but after this episode, I'm not so sure. I love sitcoms. I love old-fashioned sitcoms with three cameras and a laugh track. I am not some super-woke Social Justice Warrior person that hates everything/thinks everything is problematic. That being said, the relationship dynamic between Mandy's parents bothers me. It feels so dated and wrong. It makes me uncomfortable. 

Yeah I'm with you and everyone on this.  I am beyond tired of the weak henpecked husband/bitch wife stereotype not to mention how out of date it is.  Mandy and her mother are just not pleasant to watch together or separately.  Their characters are not endearing to the audience.  At least we had a pleasant history with elder Mary on BBT and already liked her so we put up with her younger self's insufferableness.  Not so here.  Mandy and her mother aren't going to somehow become less insufferable and we're not invested that much in them to look forward to putting up with it.

• Like 9
17 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

At least we had a pleasant history with elder Mary on BBT and already liked her so we put up with her younger self's insufferableness.  Not so here.  Mandy and her mother aren't going to somehow become less insufferable and we're not invested that much in them to look forward to putting up with it.

Also, in Young Sheldon they explained that Mary became much more religious when Missy almost died shortly after Mary gave birth to her. It's a plausible explanation for why she is so different from her husband and the rest of her family when it comes to being so religious. It also creates/generates some sympathy and understanding for the character. 

Audrey seems like a mean girl grown-up. Mandy is just kind of a mess. 

Mandy and Georgie at this point seem like something out a bad Judd Apatow movie, like a terrible SNL sketch making fun of Judd Apatow movies. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, appositival said:

Divorced yes, (per TBBT) but I can't imagine that they would get remarried to each other. That show would be called 'marriage go round' or some such.

I think the reason it's called Georgie and Mandy's First Marriage is to address the info from Big Bang Theory that Georgie had been divorced.  The title hints that even if they separate in the future, they may end up back together, so this allows the fan to buy into their relationship without as much hesitation.  

• Like 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

I think the reason it's called Georgie and Mandy's First Marriage is to address the info from Big Bang Theory that Georgie had been divorced.  The title hints that even if they separate in the future, they may end up back together, so this allows the fan to buy into their relationship without as much hesitation.  

Georgie was married 3 times and has at least 2 ex-wives so fans would definitely NOT buy in.

They also won't watch because Georgie has become "tamed" thus totally generic and a bore, his wife (never can remember her name) is endlessly annoying.  His mother-in-law is like nails on a chalkboard as well as a shrew.  His father-in-law is a little timid wuss.

Now if they made a comedy about how to make the worst sit-com ever a la "The Producers" worst musical of all time, this would be it.  The "Springtime for Hitler" TV comedy version.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, Skooma said:

They also won't watch because Georgie has become "tamed" thus totally generic and a bore, his wife (never can remember her name) is endlessly annoying.  His mother-in-law is like nails on a chalkboard as well as a shrew.  His father-in-law is a little timid wuss.

It looks like having gotten married Georgie is being turned into the typical weak Chuck Lorre husband with the dominant/domineering wife that he has to appease just to keep the peace.  This episode went overboard to illustrate that despite Mandy insisting that was not the way their marriage worked.  It's pretty much ruined Georgie's personality.

• Like 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, snarkylady said:

It's as though Chuck Lorre et al don't know what fans want or what's funny. 

I generally find his jokes funny, but he does seem to have a type when it comes to marriages. I'm guessing he wants to use the left-over failed marriage jokes from 'Two and a Half Men".

Also, the people who frequent this board can read and write, which may put them above the average TV viewer.

I would have preferred a spinoff with the remaining cast after Sheldon and Georgie have left, and possibly after George dies. I'll probably watch an episode or two, especially if it is still paired with 'Ghosts', but Mandy and her mom will get old rather quickly unless they somehow break out of their current pattern of reciprocal animosity (seems unlikely).

Georgie and Mandy's conversation after he agreed to not always agree was nice. I liked his explanation of why the new doctor is probably better (swab one arm, needle in the other arm).

Edited by appositival
multiple posts
  • Like 4

I'd rather have Emily Osment in a new sitcom - at least she's done multicam sitcoms before. Montana never has. They don't even have a premise or a supporting cast signed yet. I don't want to watch it anyway but I'll probably look at it. 

• Like 1
On 5/3/2024 at 2:13 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Or if they had to do the Mandy storyline, change it so the pregnancy never happens. She thinks she's pregnant, but she's not. The pregnancy scare is what causes her to reevaluate her life, what she wants, and causes her to find a new better job far away from Medford. 

The problem is that Georgie already had a pregnancy-scare storyline. Which makes him even stupider for not being extra careful after that. I doubt that they wanted to have a false pregnancy storyline a second time.

• Like 1

Right up until they announced that spinoff, I kind of always had it in the back of my head that it would turn out that CC was not actually Georgie‘s child. That was my theory to explain why there was never any mention of her at all on Big Bang theory, not even at Sheldon‘s wedding.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 5/3/2024 at 5:26 PM, shapeshifter said:

How old is Meemaw? Annie Potts is 71. A lot of people that age (like me) are no longer able to do as much physical work as they did when they were young.
Plus, she lost her house in the tornado. 
If she didn't have a bf to live with, maybe they would've gone easier on her.

I assume, based on context clues, that Connie is a bit younger than Annie. Not by a huge margin but probably supposed to be mid-sixties. 

I have to say, the way she was acting like 180 hours of community service was impossible bugged me. She currently has no work so she could treat the community service like a job and knock it out in less than two months. Considering the alternate option was jail time, I'd be at the church every day, reading to old people once or twice a week and whatever other physically light options I could find. I agree that she can't be picking up trash for 180 hours at her age but she can and should knock out those hours.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
5 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I have to say, the way she was acting like 180 hours of community service was impossible bugged me.

I know!  I thought a fine and 180 hours of community service was quite the deal in comparison to going to jail but I guess for a woman who did not accept that she had done anything wrong even that was too much.

• Like 3

I was about ready to throttle Connie. Not only that she was trying to weasel out of her completely appropriate punishment for actually breaking the law, but also acting like the incredible deal she got is some sort of heinous burden. 180 hours of community service is four hours a day, Monday through Friday for nine weeks. Four hours of going down to the church and doing whatever needs to be done. You’re telling me the sanctuary doesn’t need some cleaning?

• Like 6

It is a shame that, with so few episodes remaining in the series, they wasted so much time on Georgie/Mandy/in-laws. I don't mind Georgie and Mandy when they are interacting with the rest of the Coopers but on their own with the in-laws, count me out. 

I also did not like the Meemaw storyline. 

For me, this was a boring and wasted episode. 

• Like 4
On 5/6/2024 at 8:54 AM, vibeology said:

I have to say, the way she was acting like 180 hours of community service was impossible bugged me. She currently has no work so she could treat the community service like a job and knock it out in less than two months. 

That was pretty much my thought. It sounds like a large number, but when you break it down, it really isn't going to take her that long if she works at it.  

On 5/6/2024 at 9:18 AM, anna0852 said:

180 hours of community service is four hours a day, Monday through Friday for nine weeks. Four hours of going down to the church and doing whatever needs to be done. You’re telling me the sanctuary doesn’t need some cleaning?

Thank you for confirming what I thought. I tried to do the math, but I am horrible at math so I was not going to trust that my numbers were accurate. 

4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Thank you for confirming what I thought. I tried to do the math, but I am horrible at math so I was not going to trust that my numbers were accurate. 

If you treat it as a full-time job (40 hours a week), it's four and a half weeks. It's not like she has an actual job she has to work around.

So what happened to the laundromat and video store? Did they just get closed?

• Like 1
(edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 11:10 PM, MollyMelrose said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see him ditch the jeans and break out the polyesters in the near future.

It would actually be pleated dockers & topsiders.  With socks.  *LOL*

Edited by SnapHappy
  • LOL 1
On 5/7/2024 at 6:39 PM, ams1001 said:

If you treat it as a full-time job (40 hours a week), it's four and a half weeks. It's not like she has an actual job she has to work around.

So what happened to the laundromat and video store? Did they just get closed?

I agree. Even if she can't comfortably work full time/doesn't want to because of her age, if she's doing 20-30 hours per week, she's still done in 2-3 months. 

The laundromat and the video store were closed down by the police. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I agree. Even if she can't comfortably work full time/doesn't want to because of her age, if she's doing 20-30 hours per week, she's still done in 2-3 months

She could do bingo at a senior center, she has some experience at that.

• Like 2

They are totally wasting Missy. But I guess we can just write her future life in our minds.  Two of my favorite storylines were when she and Sheldon were tested, and her baseball pitching. And of course dinner at the Red Lobster. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, OlderThanDirt said:

They are totally wasting Missy. But I guess we can just write her future life in our minds.  Two of my favorite storylines were when she and Sheldon were tested, and her baseball pitching. And of course dinner at the Red Lobster. 

In my head, I’ve always assumed she got with Raj. He was definitely interested and the last time we saw Missy on Big Bang her marriage was on the rocks.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, OlderThanDirt said:

Agreed. My favorite Missy stories are Missy and Paige's sleepover, Missy and Paige trying to run away from home, as well as Missy and Paige at the college party.