Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Not In The Game Yet

• Start Topic

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 10, 8:30-9:00 p.m. EDT 

TJ asks Nell to play on the newspaper softball team. Lexi and Edward spend a weird version of quality time together, while Duncan runs into an old rival.

(edited)

171620_0322-900x0.jpg

Chelsea Handler as Sharon Darynson, owner of KQUT news station 

171621_1152-900x0.jpg

Rory O'Malley as Ben, Dennis' husband

Marla Gibbs as Nana Sugar (Angela E. Gibbs (Cricket's) mother in real life)

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Chelsea Handler, that’s who that was. I couldn’t quite place her

Cute episode, but they really wasted Marla Gibbs as this week’s ghost

• Like 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Chelsea Handler, that’s who that was. I couldn’t quite place her

It was a horrible episode. Not enough Marla Gibbs. Isn’t the point of the whole show for Nell to follow along the dead? After the first scene they just abandoned the whole thing. Way too much Duncan. STOP SAYING SHARON DARYNSON. The whole Crush Coach thing was horrible. So was the awkwardness between Lexi and Edward. And that girl sitting in the outfield playing with grass. And Dennis whining about his ex-girlfriend and REFUSING TO GO TO FIRST BASE AND IT COSTING THEM THE GAME and Duncan making NELL care for his parrot after HE lost the bet when DENNIS wouldn’t go to first base because his ex-girlfriend was playing first base….she dodged a bullet. And so did everyone who didn’t watch this sorry excuse of an episode. Only good thing was the Nell and TJ thing.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Watching this episode, I started questioning if the network told the showrunners to make the show more "male appealing" or something like that, there were a lot more male characters in this episode compared to what the show used to have, and they were getting a lot of the screen time as well.

I still feel that Lexi's dad is a waste of screen time and not fun to watch, unless when the show deals with Lexi's daddy issues. Yet, we are subjected to watch him so much. That is bad tv.

And Nell...do we really need to give her a romance? What for? It's so whatever. Her emotional journey with Phillip last season was a lot more emotionally impactful than whatever they are doing here.

The one good part of the episode was Nell trying to follow the dating advice, and gathering advice from social media. That was funny. The rest....not so much. And this show used to be so entertaining.

Edited by Harvey
  • Like 2

HUGE mistake in this episode. Sharon says her grandmother only subscribes to the paper to line her Cockatoo's bird cage. But at the end, he hands Nell a cage with a cockatiel in it.

How can I keep watching with glaring mistakes like this?!? 😏

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, astrohip said:

HUGE mistake in this episode. Sharon says her grandmother only subscribes to the paper to line her Cockatoo's bird cage. But at the end, he hands Nell a cage with a cockatiel in it.

How can I keep watching with glaring mistakes like this?!? 😏

I think I caught another mistake.  Tina said "top of the 9th", but don't softball games have only 7 innings?  (They were never tied.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

We are told/shown how amazingly funny, kind and gregarious TJ. However, he was so rude to Nell when we were first introduced to the character. If he was so awesome, he wouldn't have been so outwardly unpleasant to her. 

On 4/11/2024 at 1:08 AM, Harvey said:

And Nell...do we really need to give her a romance? What for? It's so whatever. Her emotional journey with Phillip last season was a lot more emotionally impactful than whatever they are doing here.

But isn't the whole point of the show that she's starting her life over and moving on? Why wouldn't a romance be part of that? The story with Phillip was emotional, but it got resolved. Ever since she had that cute date with the ghost, I've been wanting her to a find living person to date. I like that she's having something fun and not too serious in her life after how rough the preceding year was. Plus, Nell has been so wrapped up in Edward's and Sam's lives. She needs something of her own.

I'm glad they got the "I like you. Do you like me?" part over with instead of dragging out a "will they, won't they" situation. 

• Like 5

Yet another weak episode. The obituary of the week was dismissed within two minutes. WHY would they bring in a brand-name actress like Marla Gibbs for what amounted to a cameo?!? The writers' decision to back away from the core idea of the show is not a good one, but it does seem to be the case.

Much like the newspaper it so poorly depicts, this show is circling the drain. My prediction is that the season finale will be the series finale.

I'm sorry about that. The show was promising; it just couldn't deliver 😞

• Like 2
17 hours ago, ProudMary said:

WHY would they bring in a brand-name actress like Marla Gibbs for what amounted to a cameo?!?

Maybe because she’s the mother of the actress who plays Cricket and was possibly doing it as a fun favor? Otherwise, I agree with you that they aren’t focusing enough on the ghosts

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I've liked the first season, but this season has been more of a disappointment.  If they want to deal with Nell's work/home life and not her talking to the dead, then they need to have something happen so that she doesn't see the dead any longer.  There might be an episode where she misses talking to the dead but then goes on with life like it was before. 

Do adults really do that "I like you LIKE you" thing? I thought everyone in this episode was acting like an idiot tween.

Edward and Lexi bonding over insulting other people is kind of a disappointment. I know that's how they originally connected, but outside his relationship with Lexi, Edward isn't really obnoxious. I hate to think he's adopting her personality, since I used to like him a lot more than I like her.

• Like 4

OMG. The requisite Company Softball Game episode. No sitcom should be without one, huh? Talk about your tired, over-used plots. 

23 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Yet another weak episode. The obituary of the week was dismissed within two minutes. WHY would they bring in a brand-name actress like Marla Gibbs for what amounted to a cameo?!? The writers' decision to back away from the core idea of the show is not a good one, but it does seem to be the case.

Much like the newspaper it so poorly depicts, this show is circling the drain. My prediction is that the season finale will be the series finale.

The writing is just awful. I don't get it either. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Do adults really do that "I like you LIKE you" thing? I thought everyone in this episode was acting like an idiot tween.

This year the actress playing Nell starred as the lead in the romantic comedy "Players" (which I liked enough to watch twice) and in that one they also use this "like him LIKE him" lingo. So I guess it is something Gina Rodriguez carries around with her.

• Sad 1
On 4/10/2024 at 8:27 PM, DanaK said:

Seriously, don't show us an OG tv star only to make her disappear.

It's weird that this show just abandoned its central premise. It's like if Ghosts was just about a B&B where the host nodded to a ghost in the opening scene then focused exclusively on the guests.

They've got a decent and likeable cast, but they can't do the heavy lifting on their own. If the producers/writers don't get together and find a way to make the original theme of the show worth writing about, they'll have to change the name to "Okay, Now We're Dead".

• Like 2
On 4/12/2024 at 12:14 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think I caught another mistake.  Tina said "top of the 9th", but don't softball games have only 7 innings?  (They were never tied.)

Not only that, they were playing slow-pitch and there is no such thing as getting on base by being hit by a pitch.

Other than that (and the guy not going to first causing his team to lose - bringing back the anger I felt at the end of League of Their Own, when the catcher dropped the ball so her sister could win, with no regard for her own teammates or that the sister also didn't think of her teammates because she wanted to be the star), I liked the softball game part of the ep.

Sorry for the long parenthetical, but I can't watch that great movie again because that ending pisses me off so much.

• Like 1