Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Monster Movie

DittyDotDot
  • Start Topic

A good old-fashioned vampire hunt becomes something much more bizarre as classic film monsters terrorize a town during Oktoberfest.

I remember loving this episode the first time around, but I think it suffers from the black-and-white-monster-movie gag wearing thin over multiple re-watches, though. I still enjoy it--there are so many great one-liners; I'm a lover of Todd Stashwick (Lucy/Shifter/Monsters) and he's all sorts of awesome here; Michael Eklund is hilarious as Ed Brewer; and it nice to see Dean get his groove back and I never not find it funny that Dean thinks he's been re-hymenated--but not sure if the actual case of the week holds my interest anymore. I do give them kudos for stepping outside of their same old and try to do something different, though.

I'll just leave you with some funny words...

• "Guten tag" yourself.
  • I never forget a pretty...everything.
  • Agreed. But who cares? Room's paid for, and it's oktoberfest. Come on, brother. Beer and bar wenches.
  • Ah, you have brought a repast. Excellent. Continue to be of such service, and your life will be spared!
  • SAM:  Is he making his own special effects?  DEAN: Yeah, a mummy with a good sense of showmanship.  SAM: This is stupid.
  • Hey, you think this dracula could turn into a bat? That would be cool.
  • SAM: It's supposed to come off.  BREWER: No, it's not!
  • Hey there, Hansel.

ETA: Forgot to mention that Jensen did a great job of trying to capture that old fashioned leading man role from the old movies. I really dig how Jensen throws himself into these things.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

I love this episode. I love that Jamie saves them and doesn't dissolve into ladylike weeping or hysterics after. I love all the homages to the classic movies. The exchange between the bad guy and the pizza delivery guy will never not be funny. Dean is smart. Sam is smart.

• Love 1

I love this episode. Love the black and white classic cinema vibe and I swear that the guys look even more gorgeous in it. Whenever Dean gets super into something - like Oktoberfest, beer and bar wenches, it makes me smile. Todd Stashwick is absolutely fantastic as the monster and in many ways steals the show. ;) Even the intermission curtain is funny. Oh, Edlund, I miss you so...

• Love 2

I love this episode as well. It's definitely in my top faves.  It's disgusting how freaking beautiful the boys are in black and white. I mean come on! It's so beautiful it's almost painful.

I loved the actor that played the vampshifter.  Apparently he whacked Jensen in the face during one of their fight scenes. 

But yes all my love for this one.

"I never forget a pretty...everything."

Gosh yes. I swear that might be the best pickup line in the history of the universe. It would surely work on me.  Whewwww

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

Ok, I'll admit it. I hated this episode the first time around. And I never watched it again until last year. I've never seen any old, classic monster movies, and probably never intentionally watched something that was in black and white. I didn't get a lot of the references.

I don't always like when a show that's serious gets intentionally silly, either.

So, right about the time that Sam said "this is stupid" I said "I agree!" Wth is this? Lol

This time around, I thought it was very funny and loved just about everything. So, I'm fickle like that and I can admit it ;)

• Love 2

Man, I love this episode.

It's just classic weird Edlund. I love every old monster movie reference. Jensen just looks like a godsdamn 40s movie star in this episode.  JFC, it's almost unfair.

I LOVED Jamie and Jamie and Dean together.  I think she was the first character I actively rooted for Dean to have as a girlfriend since Cassie was a no-go. She's funny, snarky, smart, brave and beautiful but not a Mary Sue.  She just fit with Dean IMO.

I loved the actresses' line reading of 'Oh, lucky me" when she found out she was the target of the stalking.

She was great. I think a lesser actress would have really ruined this episode but she was great as were all the guest actors.

Such a fun episode. 

• Love 2

My favorite exchange was, "Is there garlic on it?"

"Did you order garlic?"

"Ah, you've brought a repast. Excellent. Continue to be of such service, and your life will be spared."

"Uh, hu"

Classic Edlund goodness.

Oh yeah, I got a coupon too! ;)

• Love 3

More classic Edlund with bonus funny Sam was the "ear" exchange. Sam's "But it's supposed to come off" followed by "No, it's not!" Hee! Only on this show would there be a scene like that where such a line would actually make sense.

• Love 2

Love the score in the opening scene. The score is absolutely beautiful and I like when the "Welcome to Pennsylvania" sign flashes to Transylvania for a second. The boys and the Impala look gorgeous in black and white. I said it in "Ghostfacers" but this show nails the look of the theme episodes every time. I love that the other waitress is named Lucy, since that's the friend in Dracula. I'd forgotten that she was the monster in disguise, but in hindsight I should've caught that clue. Dracula getting away on a scooter will never not be funny. I like the shift forward on making the shapeshifter a little more sympathetic with seeing himself as the monster and not wanting to scare Jamie. Jamie was a good chick of the week. She and Dean had good chemistry. Oh, God, the lederhosen. The monster put Dean in lederhosen. I love that the monster called Dean "Harker" and Sam "Van Helsing." I love that Jamie kills the monster. 

Sam being wrong about the monster is funny every time it happens.

I'd like to add "But I have a coupon" and "The X-Files is a TV show. This is real" for awesome quotes. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Oh, God, the lederhosen. The monster put Dean in lederhosen.

I thought that was funny, but a little disturbing.  Who does that? 

I loved the pizza delivery part.  That was pretty realistic of how a pizza delivery guy would act with some crazy dude acting like Dracula.  

10 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Sam being wrong about the monster is funny every time it happens.

I'm not sure if you're making a dig at Sam, there, but he didn't unilaterally decide that Ed was the shapeshifter.  Dean also thought so because Jamie said that Lucy said he had a crush on her.  And at least he checked before just plugging him.

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm not sure if you're making a dig at Sam, there, but he didn't unilaterally decide that Ed was the shapeshifter.  Dean also thought so because Jamie said that Lucy said he had a crush on her.  And at least he checked before just plugging him.

I'm not making any dig at Sam. It's funny in this episode when he's wrong and freaks the guy out. It's funny in "Sin City" when he throws holy water at the guys who are not demons and then awkwardly leaves his breaking and entering. I think there's other episodes where something similar happens, but Sam being wrong about the monster is funnier than Dean being wrong about monsters.

• Love 6

I think it really depends on the tone of the episode as to whether Sam or Dean being wrong about a monster is being played for laughs or otherwise. To me, Monster Movie is a bit of a romp so Sam being wrong about Ed doesn't have a really BAD consequence for either Sam or Ed so it's intentionally funny for him to be wrong by trying to pull off his ear. It's a funny bit.

Dean being wrong about Lucy was ultimately played for laughs with Dean in lederhosen and Sam teasing him about it, but it's kind of disturbing given that he was drugged, knocked out cold, taken to another location, bound, stripped of his own clothing and redressed in something whilst he's unconscious, awaiting death. Jamie was also drugged and kidnapped but at least she was spared being stripped of her clothing whilst unconscious, but compelled into changing her clothes for fear of death. It's all kind of disturbing, but with Sam making fun of Dean for being in lederhosen, it's played for laughs. At lease Jamie saved herself and Dean! I guess I just tend to 'La La La' because I think this episode is seen as a comedy episode more than anything else.

I really love the feel of this episode.  I grew up watching those old black and white monster movies on Friday Fright Nights, so it was cool in a very nostalgic way for them to pay homage to the old horror movies.  This is what I miss about current SPN.  I'm not sure they could pull off this type of episode anymore, and that's a damn shame.  I guess we should be thankful that they've made quite a few of them over the course of the series.

• Love 1

"Hey there handsome."

"SHUT UP"

and i'm just right there with sam scratching my head on how dean believes he's a virgin again (and actually i'm surprised he remembers what it's like to be one! :P). i mean...how would he even know? i know there's a way to tell if a woman is but i haven't heard of the male version.

and come on, dracula driving away in that vehicle was just too funny.

• Love 1

The image of Dracula on a moped was amazing. I may have to turn it into a curse. SWEET DRACULA ON A MOPED! Also the all things involving the pizza. 😆

I love the idea of a shapeshifter as classic monsters. The ultimate cosplay. I love the reveal that he identified with the monsters to deal with being born a shapeshifter. I love old movies and the horror genre. The camp was fantastic. 

Jamie is not the one for you Dean. You said a mission from God and she asked "like a monk?" not "like a Blues Brother?"

• Love 2