Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E03: Auditions: Day Three

• Start Topic

9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT

AUDITIONS CONTINUE ON AN ALL-NEW EPISODE OF SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE MONDAY, MARCH 18, ON FOX

(edited)

I have to say, to this non-dancer drag queen Juicy Love danced pretty well and was probably the most interesting audition this episode

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

I have to say, to this non-dancer drag queen Juicy Love danced pretty well and was probably the most interesting audition this episode

No one else came close. Very talented *and* in heels. Plus a just winsome face. The rest were pretty forgettable. I guess we’ll now see if any of these contemporary dancers can handle choreography. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

No one else came close. Very talented *and* in heels. Plus a just winsome face. The rest were pretty forgettable. I guess we’ll now see if any of these contemporary dancers can handle choreography. 

Plus, he showed great personality. I’d really like to see how he handles someone else’s choreography

I guess I should ask, what pronouns should I be using in this case?

• Like 2
(edited)
45 minutes ago, nx74defiant said:

Of course everyone had a sob story, sigh. 

Couldn't help but to...

14.jpg

Edited by A.Ham
  • Like 1
  • LOL 8

The sob stories and judges' scripts are unbearable. I ffed from dance to dance barely caring about the show at all.

In the good old days when the judges were not entirely scripted in the audition rounds, the judges were so interesting.  I hated the embarrassing auditions and I'm glad they are gone, BUT otherwise not having a good time so far.

• Like 4

So I guess there are no dance styles other than contempo-jazz-funk allowed now? Flamenco, South Asian, African, MIddle Eastern, etc. ad infiniitum? One tapper, one pointe ballet, and a ballroom couple blew by for a nanosecond. C'mon, show... And Maks is utterly useless as a judge.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I was contemplating how they keep emphasizing that they want dancers who can immediately get a job, and I can't help but feel like there's not a ton of jobs out there for contemporary dancers. (Though, of course, those dancers are usually well cross-trained.)

I'm also vaguely annoyed at the dancers auditioning who are already professional dancers (e.g., backup for Katy Perry).

• Like 4

I just  finally watched the last audition episode and you know what jumped out at me? The bad editing that makes it clear how scripted and fake this all is.

When they show the judges from behind, supposedly watching the dancers, it's like the exact same shot every time. The judges are in the exact same spots, none of them are really moving much, the paperwork in front of them is in the exact same spot every single time.

Then during the auditions things keep changing randomly. Comfort had these gold clips in her hair and the number of clips and position of them kept changing. The paperwork in front of the judges would disappear and reappear. Sometimes Comfort had loose paper on top of her binder, sometimes that loose paper was gone. Several times the paperwork would literally vanish off of the  judges table altogether only to reappear  in the next shot. This was happening during the same audition so it can't be chalked up to auditions really being filmed over several days and they just put the judges in the same outfits for a week straight or something.

The drag dancer threw his sparkly headscarf to Maks, which he put on his head at first and then took off and laid on the table in front of him. Yet there  wasn't a sparkle in sight when the camera cut to the judges reacting to the dance or where they were shot from behind. And when the "dancer" got his scarf back from Maks, all we saw was the back of someone in a sparkly outfit walk up, shot from the shoulders down.

I barely paid attention  to the dancers once I noticed all of this. All I could focus on was the fakery.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
(edited)

Some of that could possibly be attributed to the Nigel situation, maybe? I'm assuming he was present for some auditions and then either edited out somehow or they reshot things.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
31 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Some of that could possibly be attributed to the Nigel situation, maybe? I'm assuming he was present for some auditions and then either edited out somehow or they reshot things.

I think so as well. There were times we never saw the full table in one shot or the judges and the dancers were never in the same shot and either its weird editing or the judges did some re-shoots or both.

Once we get to a top ten, I hoping things get a bit more natural.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, ww92 said:

I just  finally watched the last audition episode and you know what jumped out at me? The bad editing that makes it clear how scripted and fake this all is.

When they show the judges from behind, supposedly watching the dancers, it's like the exact same shot every time. The judges are in the exact same spots, none of them are really moving much, the paperwork in front of them is in the exact same spot every single time.

Then during the auditions things keep changing randomly. Comfort had these gold clips in her hair and the number of clips and position of them kept changing. The paperwork in front of the judges would disappear and reappear. Sometimes Comfort had loose paper on top of her binder, sometimes that loose paper was gone. Several times the paperwork would literally vanish off of the  judges table altogether only to reappear  in the next shot. This was happening during the same audition so it can't be chalked up to auditions really being filmed over several days and they just put the judges in the same outfits for a week straight or something.

The drag dancer threw his sparkly headscarf to Maks, which he put on his head at first and then took off and laid on the table in front of him. Yet there  wasn't a sparkle in sight when the camera cut to the judges reacting to the dance or where they were shot from behind. And when the "dancer" got his scarf back from Maks, all we saw was the back of someone in a sparkly outfit walk up, shot from the shoulders down.

I barely paid attention  to the dancers once I noticed all of this. All I could focus on was the fakery.

Hopefully they watch all of the auditions, then call them back to discuss. It would be unfair if they had a certain number of spots available and made decisions before seeing everyone.

• Useful 1