Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Halloween 3: The Guest Who Wouldn’t Leave

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, I know she said she'd been there for a month, but it's Flower so she could easily have been confused by how much time had passed or even where she was for that amount of time.

I do wonder about how time passes for ghosts. Would she really be counting the rising/setting of the sun with a stick in the mud to figure out how long she'd been down there? Or is she going by vibes, like it FEELS like a month? Flower doesn't strike me as the ticking off the days type. 

Hell, she may  have been sucked off, asked to come back because she wanted to be with Thor since they just started their relationship, was sent back, but the coordinates were wrong and she got zapped back into the well. 

Show runners lie in interviews about what their plans are for the show all the time though, so I never pay much attention to interviews. I think sometimes it is purposeful misdirect and other times they had a plan when they gave the interview but something made them change it.

But if they said something like "it has to be a main ghost to really make an impact" that doesn't necessarily mean that is what they planned on doing. It would be like saying "dinner has to be vegetables to really be healthy, (but I'm having pizza)". Of course if they said "a main character is being sucked off" full stop, then who knows what happened. Maybe they lied, maybe they thought about it but realized the cast work too well together to lose one and tossed the idea, maybe Sheila was going to leave then asked if there was a chance to come back and they like her enough to say sure. Personally I don't care as, like I said, I don't pay much attention to what they say as it might not be the truth. lol

• Like 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It was more than just a misdirect, it was a lie.

You're right.  I'm just willing to let it go because they had to say something or people wouldn't back off, and I understand the rationale for them saying what they did.

Edited by Orbert
  • Like 1

I mean, realistically speaking, it was fairly obvious early on that we weren't going to lose a main cast member - the actress who plays Flower was on maternity leave, so that pretty much indicated she'd be back eventually, and there were no post-mortem goodbye interviews with her after she left or any of the typical things you usually see when a cast member leaves for good or so on. And the showrunners still danced around properly answering the "Who got sucked off?"/"Is Flower really gone for good?" questions even after the season premiere. 

Hell, even before the show had any idea of who they'd use for their cliffhanger, Sam's own words in the season finale indicated that this wasn't likely going to be a permanent thing - she said, "I think one of the ghosts got sucked off." That alone gave the show plenty of wiggle room to play with. Whomever they picked, I really don't think this was intended to be a permanent thing no matter what. I think this was just supposed to be an interesting little cliffhanger for them to play with and keep fans talking through the summer that they could turn into an intriguing little mystery this season, and whichever character they went with woudl've returned eventually, one way or another. Honestly, if a character had actually moved on for good, I think the show would've handled it in a far more solemn, genuinely emotional manner, instead of leaving it as a cliffhanger, for many reasons. 

But yeah, misdirect or not, I too am fine with things playing out as they have. Maybe we'll find out that white light was actually indicating something else was going on, who knows? So long as everyone's still here and we get to see them again next season, I'm good :). 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Show runners lie in interviews about what their plans are for the show all the time though, so I never pay much attention to interviews. I think sometimes it is purposeful misdirect and other times they had a plan when they gave the interview but something made them change it.

But if they said something like "it has to be a main ghost to really make an impact" that doesn't necessarily mean that is what they planned on doing. It would be like saying "dinner has to be vegetables to really be healthy, (but I'm having pizza)". Of course if they said "a main character is being sucked off" full stop, then who knows what happened. Maybe they lied, maybe they thought about it but realized the cast work too well together to lose one and tossed the idea, maybe Sheila was going to leave then asked if there was a chance to come back and they like her enough to say sure. Personally I don't care as, like I said, I don't pay much attention to what they say as it might not be the truth. lol

It's also very possible that when they wrote the finale last year they did intend to have a major character leave. But with Flower needing time off for parental leave, they didn't want to be two ghosts down and they didn't want to fire a woman for being pregnant so they changed plans. I would rather they change plans and their statements in the past be a "lie" than fire a pregnant woman. Actors should be able to take parental leave without losing their jobs. 

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

This particular episode, to me, seemed to be written for a different audience. That schtick of overhearing and then misinterpreting a conversation is incredibly stale. Are they trying to appeal to people who are so young they haven't haven't seen much of it in their lifetime or to people who pine for the good old days of "I Love Lucy"? 

I hope this show can sustain its humor and avoid the pitfalls of other network shows that overstay their entertainment value. What I appreciate about some of the shows I've seen coming from the UK, AU, and NZ is that they're fairly quick--sometimes too quick--to pull their shows after a couple of seasons. Leave them wanting more, not asking, "Why is this show still on?"

I like the twist of Pete's wife showing up. She's nearly 40 years older than he is; she could start try bossing him around like he's her son, not her ex, which would really throw him off. 

• Like 1
On 3/7/2024 at 10:33 PM, iMonrey said:

Carol being a new ghost could be fun . . . for awhile. After all we've never seen a newly created ghost before (except for Eric, briefly). 

I'd still like to see an official Welcoming Ceremony.

• Like 3
On 3/12/2024 at 11:47 AM, iMonrey said:

It was more than just a misdirect, it was a lie.

Nay, it was just show biz.  Or better, what was said below.

On 3/12/2024 at 5:26 PM, Mabinogia said:

👍

1 hour ago, eel2178 said:

I'd still like to see an official Welcoming Ceremony.

Well there was the welcoming committee lead by Isaac in the first minute or so of the pilot.

And they were running after Trevor when he died to welcome him except for Sass who hung back.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, mojito said:

I like the twist of Pete's wife showing up. She's nearly 40 years older than he is; she could start try bossing him around like he's her son, not her ex, which would really throw him off. 

I hadn't thought about that aspect of it, but it makes sense and seems like a potentially interesting thing to explore.  Carol carried on for nearly 40 years after Pete died, but Pete (with an obvious visual reminder or two) is in some ways exactly as he was the day he died, including mentally and emotionally.  She has a lot more life experience than he does, which would color the conversation they hopefully eventually have about her affair.  I mean, to her it's ancient history; her first husband who died way back before her much longer second marriage.  To Pete, it's still fresh and still hurts.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, Orbert said:

…seems like a potentially interesting thing to explore.  Carol carried on for nearly 40 years after Pete died, but Pete (with an obvious visual reminder or two) is in some ways exactly as he was the day he died, including mentally and emotionally.  She has a lot more life experience than he does, which would color the conversation they hopefully eventually have about her affair.  I mean, to her it's ancient history; her first husband who died way back before her much longer second marriage.  To Pete, it's still fresh and still hurts.

So much to potentially unpack vis-à-vis 30-year-old Pete and 70+ Carol. 
There's enough material to be mined for an entire spin-off, but not likely a successful one.
My first thought was elderly Carol wanting to get romantic with Pete. How would that likely go? Tragi-comedy gold?
But mostly, as someone Carol's age myself, I often wish I could take everything I've learned about human nature over the decades and redo it all.
But, ugh, no. 
Better to have Carol get sucked off this season — and probably before she has a significant impact on Pete?

• Like 2
On 3/8/2024 at 8:35 AM, cdnalor said:

If ghosts can only walk through things horizontally, I'm thinking if the well is not too deep, someone could point Flower in the direction of the house so she could walk through the earth until she reaches the basement.  Otherwise, I don't see how she's getting out.

On 3/8/2024 at 9:34 AM, appositival said:

If they just drop a ladder into the well, Flower should be able to climb out.

That's better than my plan: Ghost chain, with Thor the anchor on top.  Hetty could even take off her dress and lower it to Flower to add extra length to the chain as long as she is holding on to it (I'm sure she is wearing plenty of undergarments.) But they better not drop any more ghosts.

On 3/12/2024 at 8:56 PM, Annber03 said:

I mean, realistically speaking, it was fairly obvious early on that we weren't going to lose a main cast member - the actress who plays Flower was on maternity leave, so that pretty much indicated she'd be back eventually, and there were no post-mortem goodbye interviews with her after she left or any of the typical things you usually see when a cast member leaves for good or so on.

And her portrait was still in all the promotional materials, along with those of the 7 other ghosts.

On 3/13/2024 at 8:28 AM, vibeology said:

It's also very possible that when they wrote the finale last year they did intend to have a major character leave.

I just don't think they would write out a major character unless the actor wanted to leave, which is what happened in the British version.  This isn't a show like Succession that kills a major character for shock value.  It's a highly rated comedy.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I just don't think they would write out a major character unless the actor wanted to leave, which is what happened in the British version.  This isn't a show like Succession that kills a major character for shock value.  It's a highly rated comedy.

This. I remember thinking something similar last year when people all over the internet were throwing out their guesses as to who might've been the one to leave - some people seemed to be treating this more like it was "Game of Thrones" or some CBS procedural or something, where people leave the show to up the stakes because DRAMA. I think people have just become so conditioned to expect that's how shows in general are nowadays that they think even lighthearted comedies like this will throw out that kind of dramatic exit. 

But like you said, this is just...not that kind of show. And that's a large part of why people like it so much. It doesn't need that kind of messy exit nonsense. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

This. I remember thinking something similar last year when people all over the internet were throwing out their guesses as to who might've been the one to leave - some people seemed to be treating this more like it was "Game of Thrones" or some CBS procedural or something, where people leave the show to up the stakes because DRAMA. I think people have just become so conditioned to expect that's how shows in general are nowadays that they think even lighthearted comedies like this will throw out that kind of dramatic exit. 

But like you said, this is just...not that kind of show. And that's a large part of why people like it so much. It doesn't need that kind of messy exit nonsense. 

Most of the cast had never been in a popular show until so they wouldn't want to leave. The cast seems to be close friends off camera so that encourages them to stay as well. 

• Like 4
On 3/9/2024 at 11:06 PM, Bastet said:

They're friends from the city, and the reason Sam and Jay are so obsessed with them loving it is that Nico and Sasha are staying for the weekend to see if they like it up there and want to look for a house.  Sam and Jay never see anyone from their old life since they moved, so if Nico and Sasha bought a second home nearby they'd have people to hang out with sometimes.

I'm sure you're right, but I had a hard time believing they were actually friends since Sam and Jay are such nice, down-to-earth people and Nico and Sasha are obnoxious and arrogant. Why would Sam and Jay want to hang out with them? Don't they have nicer, more compatible friends from the city?

• Like 1
On 3/15/2024 at 5:30 AM, Paloma said:

I'm sure you're right, but I had a hard time believing they were actually friends since Sam and Jay are such nice, down-to-earth people and Nico and Sasha are obnoxious and arrogant. Why would Sam and Jay want to hang out with them? Don't they have nicer, more compatible friends from the city?

Why did they want to be friends with Kenny and Liz?

• Like 1
On 3/12/2024 at 2:07 PM, Bastet said:

Chainsaw.  And the killer came up on her side of the car, so, yeah, her prom date could have run away.  And either lived, or died off the property (since they were parked basically in the driveway) when the killer caught up to him.  If off the property, even if he became a ghost his boundaries would be different, so it works that we only see her.  Of course, they've established most who die don't become ghosts, so even if he died right next to her it would still work that we only see her.

the killer was on the prom date’s side. If anything Stephanie was the one who tried to escape while her date was getting killed. 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Neptune said:

the killer was on the prom date’s side. If anything Stephanie was the one who tried to escape while her date was getting killed. 

Oh, that's right -- she saw him over the date's shoulder, didn't she?  I'd developed a false memory of him appearing at her window, not his.  Thanks for the correction.

• Like 1