Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E06: Port In The Storm

• Start Topic

02/28/2024 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Wednesday) : Firehouse 51 welcomes back some familiar faces and says goodbye to Brett. Violet scrambles to decorate Brett's wedding venue. A call at the expo center takes a shocking turn.

*That* was the wedding that was worth all of the hype? Boring. 

It was nice to see Casey again, sure, but they could have done so much more. I also had a good suspicion that Severide would try some sort of surprise return, like catching an earlier flight... what they went with was more awkward, but I guess it was still nice. 

Sylvie has parents. They couldn't find an extra to play her dad to walk her down the aisle?  That bothered me with Cruz's wedding too, considering we saw Chloe's parents when she was in the hospital...

For all the build-up, I was underwhelmed. 

• Like 3

What?   You mean the paramedic boss didn't get an invitation to the wedding?  I'm shocked, shocked!

Maybe it's just me, but I would have had the crew pass up an attack line and flooded that room through the ceiling vent.  The heat coming through that vent would have been brutal.

I hope they bandaged that crook up just a bit better before handcuffing him.

(edited)

Does anyone know if Kara Killmer wanted to leave or if she basically lost her job because they had to write Casey out?  From the articles I've seen, I can't seem to figure out exactly whose decision it was for her to leave.

Edited by KeithJ
1 hour ago, KeithJ said:

Does anyone know if Kara Killmer wanted to leave or if she basically lost her job because they had to write Casey out?  From the articles I've seen, I can't seem to figure out exactly whose decision it was for her to leave.

Budget cuts?  If everyone wanted her to stay, they could have just broken them up again. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it was her choice. 

16 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Budget cuts?  If everyone wanted her to stay, they could have just broken them up again. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it was her choice. 

That’s what I think too. She’s been doing the role for a long time and the Chicago weather can be tough to shoot in. And didn’t she have a baby a couple of years ago? She might have been ready for easier hours.

Decent enough episode i guess. So Gibson is going to give up his slot for Kylie huh? How noble. But I guess they need another woman firefighter at 51 and Kylie certainly wants to be there.

color me surprised that they actually had the wedding in the fish store. I thought they’d have it at the expo but I guess they just got all the flowers etc. from it.

and I’m calling it now. Kelly wants a baby. The way he was looking at Stella holding the baby (who I spent most of the episode trying to identify)…wonder if Stella wants kids?

i guess Mouch is going for Lieutenant? Unless Hermann retires, there’s no room at 51 so don’t know how that would work. Maybe that would be his exit story?

6 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I guess Mouch is going for Lieutenant? Unless Hermann retires, there’s no room at 51 so don’t know how that would work. Maybe that would be his exit story?

Unless they have some magical promotions to Captain (I'm looking at you, Fire Country), and someone takes Casey's vacant slot.

Why is the paramedic chief such a bitch? Who hires these people? It's a wonder the real Chicago fire department hasn't sued this show for slander, because over the twelve seasons it's been on, the higher ups have been mostly crooked and/or assholes. 

Hey, Sylvie, when a crook is bleeding out and has a gun to your head, you know what you do? You let him bleed out. Problem solved. Honestly, that guy would have passed out within seconds. Shooting saline in his face is more likely going to cause him to pull the trigger, if only involuntarily.

I thought the wedding venue actually turned out kind of pretty, although still impractical. They would have had to move a lot of those tanks around to make room for the aisle and the seatings, which would have taken a long time, longer than they apparently had.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
37 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

The way he was looking at Stella holding the baby (who I spent most of the episode trying to identify)…wonder if Stella wants kids?

Just who did the various babies belong to? I guess the baby that went in the car with Sylvie and Casey was her adopted baby Amelia(?). Was that the baby Stella was holding earlier? I think there was another one I couldn't identify who it belonged to

(edited)
39 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

and I’m calling it now. Kelly wants a baby. The way he was looking at Stella holding the baby (who I spent most of the episode trying to identify)…wonder if Stella wants kids?

I thought the same thing too. They both mentioned in passing before about wanting kids but not any real deep conversations about it.

And I’m editing because I just realized that if Stella does get pregnant, she won’t be able to work for at least a year. She cannot actively be a firefighter while she’s pregnant and then of course there’s a postpartum period. So that opens up the possibility for Mouch to take temporary command of truck, 51 and opens a spot on it for Kylie. this also allows for them to continue having cast members miss random episodes for budgetary reasons. Solves the “how can Mouch get a promotion“ along with “where do we find space for Kylie“ problems.

Edited by anna0852
  • Like 2

I felt Boden's speech pre-ceremony was inappropriate, he could have saved it for the reception toasts.  Officiants should not be so long winded, keep it focused on the ceremony itself.  Other than that, yeah, underwhelmed.

• Like 3
(edited)

The babies were:

Julia - Sylvie's adopted daughter and held by Stella during the ceremony. Same one that was passed off from Trudy to Stellaride at the reception and then put in the car by one of the Darden boys. 

Amelia - the little girl in the back of the ceremony that Sylvie mentioned they took to the real Aquarium; Amelia is Sylvie's biological half-sister. 

Otis - the little boy that was with Javi before the ceremony looking at the fish. Both are Cruz's sons. 

Speaking of Cruz, where was Chloe? Also, he and Chloe got married at the Chicago Firefighters' Church. It's a real place and huge and beautiful and old. Why couldn't the show just get that place, for cheap on like a Tuesday morning, and shoot a wedding scene?  Would have made waaaaaaaay more sense. 

Even with all of the foreshadowing , I'm not sure who is leaving next or how Kylie might get to 51. Stella having a baby makes sense. Severide being promoted to Captain and moving to OFI makes sense. Mouch being promoted to Lieutenant and taking a desk job at HQ also makes sense. (If Severide leaves, Cruz moves up and new guy goes to squad, Kylie goes to truck?)

I think the writing hasn't been great this season and the dialogue has been more awkward than usual. I don't mind the break until March 20 because maybe it means the quality will get a little better. I've been watching old seasons and it really has been a decent show for a long time. 

9 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Kelly does want kids. In the crossover episodes a few years ago with that flesh-eating bacteria outbreak, he told Stella that this isn't how he dies. He'll die an old man in his bed surrounded by her, their kids, and grandkids. 

Edited by FnkyChkn34
fixed typo
  • Like 3
22 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Sylvie has parents. They couldn't find an extra to play her dad to walk her down the aisle?

I wondered the same thing. She has been written as being close to her parents so why weren't they there?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Cindy apparently wasn't invited either.

She's in the front row during the ceremony with Herrmann.

I don't know why, but I'm rewatching.  There are continuity issues - sometimes Julia is on Stella's lap and sometimes she isn't.  Where she is when she's not?  Can't tell.

3 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

She's in the front row during the ceremony with Herrmann.

I don't know why, but I'm rewatching.  There are continuity issues - sometimes Julia is on Stella's lap and sometimes she isn't.  Where she is when she's not?  Can't tell.

There was probably a quiet game of “pass the baby” going on. We’ve had to do that a few times at some family gatherings. Keeps the baby quiet and engaged. Also the amount of time the baby can be in front of the camera is pretty limited.

• Like 2

They went on and on about 51 always being their home, that they would always come back, etc, etc - Makes me wonder if they're just planning for Eamonn to leave and Jesse to come back as the Captain of 51.

Severide is already primed to captain OFI or move on full-time to that task force if necessary. I would be a little surprised if Stella decided she wanted kids. (I was always bummed that Severide and Shay never had that kid together.)

I can't imagine them bringing up Cruz and Mouch trying for the Lt exam without following through, but yeah, running out of open mgmt slots unless they plan to SPLIT the cast into different shifts? That would be unique, I think, for these kind of shows and would let them have the high-rollers on fewer episodes.

27 minutes ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Severide is already primed to captain OFI or move on full-time to that task force if necessary. I would be a little surprised if Stella decided she wanted kids. (I was always bummed that Severide and Shay never had that kid together.)

I think Severide as a dad would have been very interesting to watch over the years, especially since they've made a point of how good he is with just about every kid we see him encounter. However making him a single dad (assuming the change of story didn't effect Lauren's departure in Season 2) would have *drastically* changed the character. 

• Like 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, anna0852 said:

And I’m editing because I just realized that if Stella does get pregnant, she won’t be able to work for at least a year. She cannot actively be a firefighter while she’s pregnant and then of course there’s a postpartum period.

But remember, this is Super Stella.  She'll work up until the day she gives birth and will then be back the following day.  Or, she'll actually give birth on a scene, send the baby to the hospital, and then continue to bark orders at the crew.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 2/29/2024 at 3:43 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Maybe it's just me, but I would have had the crew pass up an attack line and flooded that room through the ceiling vent.  The heat coming through that vent would have been brutal.

And I call shenanigans on tools not being able to pop that door. Plus a K12 would have been quicker and safer for all involved.

I hope they bandaged that crook up just a bit better before handcuffing him.

I hope they didn't.

• Like 1

Gibson was announced as a new cast member, so I don't think they're going to immediately write him off for Kylie's sake.  What I thought they were implying is that Mouch will get a lieutenant position, but not at 51.  He's a more tenured character (= higher salary), so write him off the show, then have Kylie take his spot on Truck.

Making a comment about one of the Darden boys sounding drunk?  They're not even in college, they're still in high school.  Wildly inappropriate suggestion for the show because it was totally unnecessary.

The writing has really gone downhill this season.  It's like they're trying to drive us viewers away so they can cancel it and say "See, nobody was watching anymore - that's why we cancelled it!"

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TAG42481 said:

Making a comment about one of the Darden boys sounding drunk?  They're not even in college, they're still in high school.  Wildly inappropriate suggestion for the show because it was totally unnecessary.

The drunk Darden kid was the older one, who is now college age. Still too young to legally drink though. Hermann is risking his liquor license if Trudy notices 😁

4 hours ago, TAG42481 said:

Gibson was announced as a new cast member, so I don't think they're going to immediately write him off for Kylie's sake.  What I thought they were implying is that Mouch will get a lieutenant position, but not at 51.  He's a more tenured character (= higher salary), so write him off the show, then have Kylie take his spot on Truck.

The writing has really gone downhill this season.  It's like they're trying to drive us viewers away so they can cancel it and say "See, nobody was watching anymore - that's why we cancelled it!"

I think he was about 18 when he came to get Casey a few seasons ago.  He may not be 21 yet, but he should be close.  I don't think Herrmann was selling alcohol, the bar was closed for a private event.  Trudy would make any cops look the other way, right or wrong.  What got me though is that he was responsible for buckling the baby in to the car...

My impression is that there is no writing, and they are allowing the actors to ad lib their characters.  LOL

• LOL 1

I'm glad they actually brought the Darden kids back for the wedding.  They should have had Sylvie father walk her now the aisle. 

Is Severide staying for more episodes? I think he only returned for Matt. Lol that's his real #1 relationship. Had it not been the wedding Stella probably wasn't going to see him return. 

It was a good send off for Britt and Matt too together finally.  

On 3/4/2024 at 11:42 PM, Artsda said:

Is Severide staying for more episodes? I think he only returned for Matt. Lol that's his real #1 relationship. Had it not been the wedding Stella probably wasn't going to see him return. 

The previews for the next new episode (March 20, I think) feature Severide.  He's back for at least a few episodes.  I think his talk with Casey may have been a little foreshadowing too, about how he and the house need each other.

Update to one of my comments above:  I was watching Season 2 again, and Griffin Darden was 11 at the beginning of Season 2.  Ten seasons later, I suppose that he is 21 now.

• Like 2
On 2/29/2024 at 3:43 AM, Dowel Jones said:

What?   You mean the paramedic boss didn't get an invitation to the wedding?  I'm shocked, shocked!

Did some skinny blond pee in some producer's oatmeal. Anne Heche on PD and now this one. No one on these shows ever has a phone turned to record as the big cheese villian cackels and gleefully gloats about their spectacularly evul plans.

Before you say "illegal" you discreetly drop it into some reporters bag.