Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Sadie Robertson: Daughter of the (Duck)Dynasty

• Start Topic

I'mma just gonna put it out there. The Robertsons are micromanaging Sadie's time on this show, Sadie needs approval on who she dances with, and therefore it's doubtful that Keo would be considered acceptable.  That would frustrate the bejesus out of the pro.  

Are you inferring that the Robertsons are racist?  Why else would you say that they'd consider Keo to be unacceptable?  Sadie has a bi-racial younger brother; they are not racist.

If Sadie were my 17 year old daughter, you'd better believe that we'd be involved in most of the decisions.  Who would totally trust a tv show to make the best decisions in her best interest?

Also, I noticed that twice this past week, it was Sadie herself who said she was or wasn't comfortable with certain things.  She shares her family's values.  I've seen MANY "modest" costumes over the years on this show. Sadie isn't the first person to not wear skimpy costumes.  Nothing wrong with that. :)

And I've seen Mark's frustration with the judges, not with Sadie or her beliefs or costume choices....

• Love 3

There's an interesting interview with Sadie and Mark where they talk about Mark showing Sadie why the lift wouldn't be safe with him for example holding her thighs. So I guess she was okay with it once Mark explained why it had to be done that way.

So, do a different lift.  Better yet - why do any lift at all?!  What the bloody hell is the point?

I went to a football clinic this past Spring and a coach who is widely recognized as wicked smaht said one of the things he does that seems simple, but is not often done, is to ask his players what they can do, not tell/show him what they can't do.  He has the players he is going to have in any given season.  So, why not take what you have and mold the schemes to what they do best?   By the by, this coach is receiving raves this season for how he has taken very raw/young talent and made them darn good in a very short period of time.

Sadie is not the most coordinated nor confident dancer.  Her strength is in composition - the gorgeous lines she can create.  She has already spoken to death as to discomfort with even mildly salacious elements of dance.  So, what do you do, Ballas?  You force her into unnecessary discomfort and give the jidges a huge opening to "mark" her down for being hesitant or choppy.

Brilliant.  

I think it's very smart to ask people what they can do and play to their strengths.  That said, I also think there's nothing wrong with asking people what they want to do and training them to improve if they so desire.  From the little I've watched of this show (only this season) and of Mark and Sadie, it seems to me that she's not being forced to do anything against her will (or her family's conservative values).

It's a competition, one assumes she wants to win.  Sometimes winning takes stretching yourself, testing your capabilities and learning new skills.  So far, it seems to me that Sadie has a choice in what she does / doesn't do and that her wishes and her family's have been taken into consideration and respected.  No one in that clan is shy when it comes to expressing their opinions / objections.  Sadie is nicer about it, but she does express her concerns.  Mark is trying to choreograph something that will get them the most points, he's worked with her the whole season and presumably knows what she can / can't do.  A good coach not only observes your strength, but also your potential.  If she's having trouble / objections with any part of the routine, one would think the professional dancer can make the necessary changes while they are rehearsing.  That's one of the main objectives of a rehearsal, to see the if the people who have to execute the routine can actually do it.

I highly doubt that a professional dancer, eager to win, would include something his partner can't do with some degree of proficiency and I doubt that Sadie would actually do something she doesn't want to do or her family doesn't want her to do.

The three situations mentioned above (leg caress, butt holding, and naked chest) were discussed, and in my opinion addressed.  First, I think Mark toned down the leg caress, not going as high as originally intended and not keeping his hand on the leg as much time as he might have wanted for the choreography.  Second, Sadie asked if his hand had to be on her butt, it seems he explained why that was necessary for her own safety; at this point, Sadie could have asked to have the lift changed / eliminated.  She didn't, so, one presumes she evaluated the situation and thought that it was fine because the touching wasn't sexual; maybe she equated it with going to the doctor where you let a person see you naked and touch where he/she needs to touch in order to ensure your health.  Who knows?  The point is she apparently had no objection to the placement of the hand once it was explained that it was for safety reasons.  Finally, he asked if she had any objections to him being shirtless and covered only by body paint, she did, so he was partially shirtless and there was no body paint.  If that's what his costume ended up being, I have no doubt that the family agreed to that compromise, otherwise, they are the type who is vocal enough to express it and stop it.

Enough on Sadie for me! Alfonso and Witney for the win!  I wish I didn't live in another country so I could vote for them every single week!!

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 2

Are you inferring that the Robertsons are racist?  Why else would you say that they'd consider Keo to be unacceptable?  Sadie has a bi-racial younger brother; they are not racist.

If Sadie were my 17 year old daughter, you'd better believe that we'd be involved in most of the decisions.  Who would totally trust a tv show to make the best decisions in her best interest?

Also, I noticed that twice this past week, it was Sadie herself who said she was or wasn't comfortable with certain things.  She shares her family's values.  I've seen MANY "modest" costumes over the years on this show. Sadie isn't the first person to not wear skimpy costumes.  Nothing wrong with that. :)

And I've seen Mark's frustration with the judges, not with Sadie or her beliefs or costume choices....

Given that the bi-racial adoption caused concern in their community?  I don't think they will do anything to polarize their fans.  

It is fascinating to me that the very reasons Zendaya was not welcomed by some fans, she's too young and too much under parental control in costume and dance choices to be on the show messages, these very same fans are fiercely protective of in Sadie, who is a far inferior dancer to Zendaya.  I really don't care much for the "in your face" constant interventions, it seemed to be more subtle when Zendaya was on, only showing her parents together in the audience in week 9.  And yet the fans decided it was the issue to not vote for her.   For me, I just want to see good dancing regardless of age or previous experiences.  

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 5

Given that the bi-racial adoption caused concern in their community?  I don't think they will do anything to polarize their fans.  

I'm not aware of any 'concern' over the Robertson's adopted son, and I live in their community.  Unless you're speaking of the more general southern bible belt 'community', in which case I'm not going to argue that there isn't still inherent prejudice/racism through certain tenets of it.   

• Love 2

It is fascinating to me that the very reasons Zendaya was not welcomed by some fans, she's too young and too much under parental control in costume and dance choices to be on the show messages, these very same fans are fiercely protective of in Sadie, who is a far inferior dancer to Zendaya.  I really don't care much for the "in your face" constant interventions, it seemed to be more subtle when Zendaya was on, only showing her parents together in the audience in week 9.  And yet the fans decided it was the issue to not vote for her.   For me, I just want to see good dancing regardless of age or previous experiences.  

I LOVED Zendaya and voted for her and wanted her to win! :)  Just wanted to  mention that, because I wasn't aware that people who didn't like her, are now liking Sadie.  It doesn't make sense to me.  I loved Zendaya because she was adorable, professional, polite, funny, and was able to pick up the choreography very well. And when she danced, I thought she was excellent.  These are the same exact reasons why I love to watch Sadie dance. And the same reasons why I've loved Shawn Johnson... and a few more I can't think of right now. (old brain. lol)

Anyway, I know that some people who watch this show and vote the way they do have more to do with their own personal beliefs or tastes, and not as much to do with the actual dancing.  I've never voted that way. 

I'm not on the internet to make enemies (far from it!) but I guess I just felt the need to respond to the Keo comment.  Peace :)

• Love 2
because I wasn't aware that people who didn't like her, are now liking Sadie.  It doesn't make sense to me.

Oh trust me there were people who hated Zendaya. My favorite was the snide way she was often referred to as "Ms. Coleman" like saying her first name was too much of a bother. That being said, I don't remember the dislike for her having anything to do with her age and whatever modesty came with that and/or her parents - definitely not her parents as they were fairly hidden on the show, even though we all knew from media that they were very present on set. The reasons I remember some didn't like Zendaya is that they found her obnoxious and annoying and unlikable. Yeah don't ask me to explain it either - didn't understand it then and still don't. 

But staying on the topic of Sadie, honestly I think with this show, people always connect with who they connect with for any myriad of reasons and that's fine in my opinion. That's why I've always said the show has never and will never be "fair" and about the "best dancer". That's the same thing like last season with some of the people who got so over the top in their nastiness towards Amy because they were furious at the possibility she could win over Meryl who was perfect in their eyes. Maybe so but some people just didn't like Meryl and liked Amy, just as some people liked Candace which is why she made it so far. It is what it is. So I don't really agree with anyone really harping on people liking one celebrity over another. It is what it is. Not to mention it's Dancing With the Stars - it's not that deep.

• Love 2

I think Sadie is a really sweet kid. She has a great attitude, works hard, is respectful and gracious.  Her partnership with Mark is fabulous, they have an awesome big brother/little sister vibe going on. Mark is really great at being patient and kind (which sometimes works against him when he gets the "problem cases" TPTB think no one else can handle LOL. Well, him and Tony.). That’s one of his best features as a teacher, and it’s been on full display this season IMO. And luckily for him, he got someone talented and nice and teachable this time.

And for all the talk of being a reality TV star…I don’t think Sadie quite gets yet how the manipulations, storylines etc. on DWTS work. She seems to take it at face value, hence the occasional displays of emotional vulnerability. That’s perhaps the one negative thing, I don’t like seeing her stressed and upset because the shenanigans of the show are getting to her. But other than that, I think Mark has done a fantastic job teaching her and choreographing for her. And Sadie’s improved a lot throughout the season IMO, I don’t think she’d have been able to do the Contemporary, the Foxtrot, the Quickstep or the AT at the beginning of the season. The gangliness and slight awkwardness is probably not something you can get totally under control with a few months of dance training, but she’s emerged as a really graceful and at times even sophisticated performer. (-:

My surprise of the season. And I’m really excited to see what they’ll do for the freestyle!

Edited by katha
  • Love 6

From the episode thread:

I don't know anything about the Duck D. people, but it did seem odd how her father and grandfather look...nice words? ...old and grizzled...while her mother and grandmother both look young and beautiful, possibly with enough facial work to look like sisters.  No conclusions from this, they just seem like an odd group.

I don't know or care anything about this family, but I remembered someone posting a photo of the men that looked straight out of The Official Preppy Handbook, and when I went looking for it, I found this story that has a lot of photos of them from before the reality show. In the fourth photo down, the guy with the frosted tips is Sadie's dad. Sadie looks cute, though.

Edited by fishcakes

They have had this look for years when they hunted and since around 2006 they have been a public entity. They would create hunting videos and then shave after hunting season was over.  They have this Brand now and live in the Brand but that doesn't mean it's fake fake. Just emphasized. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Misha Gabriel is awesome. I wonder if Mark is going to use his own music? Misha helped choreograph Mark's "get my name" video.

And the season 14 MSOD

I hope Sadie is in pants. I think the dance could turn out well if she is in them.

I just saw an instagram pic with Sadie, Mark, Lindsay and 2 (hip-hop?) dancers.  I'm assuming they will be in their routine.  I'm glad we are finally getting some info on the freestyles dances.  Monday can't get here soon enough.  

That would be Misha Gabriel and Anze Skrube, 2 well-regarded hip hop choreographers/dancers. They both have darn good resumes. I would not assume they'll be in the dance - maybe they will, maybe they won't.

I'm among those who think that Sadie has gotten the Bristol Palin treatment, meaning that she's a girl from a prominent conservative family, usually paired with Mark Ballas, who, in the last weeks of the competition, gets overpraised and overscored by the judges, most likely because they don't want to offend the family's fanbase. During Trio Week, IIRC it was Len who told Sadie, Mark and Emma that their Trio Foxtrot was not only the best by far, they got a perfect score for it, which IMO was bullshit on both counts. Alfonso, Witney and Lindsay and Lea, Artem and Henry's Paso Doble trios were not only way better (especially Alfonso's), they didn't forget their steps, unlike Sadie.

Then there was another judge's claim in last week's Semi Finals that Sadie has it harder than her competitors, which is wrong for two reasons-Alfonso and Tommy. Tommy has dealt with bad knees throughout the competition while Alfonso has dealt with a sore groin and a bad back and he's more than twice Sadie's age and Tommy's more than four times older than her, so while Sadie may have had some problems with insecurity,  compared to what Alfonso and Tommy have been through, that's nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 2

I don't think it has to do with fear of offending the family's fanbase so much as wanting to appease her fanbase, once there became a loud outcry that she was being underscored and horribly picked on. And so I do think some overscoring started with her in the last few weeks. Of course the scores always get inflated for everyone in the last stretch of the season. And the truth is, I like Sadie (I never get involved in the personal life/family drama thing. Like my issue with Bristol wasn't her family name but that she was a lazy, miserable and sour shrew who just made me feel sorry for poor Mark having to put up with her) but I do think that mess with the Halloween episode, coupled with Mark's whinging about their scores since Week 2 has created this narrative that they've been picked on and I don't agree with that. 

I don't think Sadie's technique is anywhere near as good as some of her fans seem to think it is. Honestly, in my opinion, Sadie is the weakest dancer of the four finalists. She came out of the gate perky and full of energy and cute as a button and selling everything Mark gave her but I do think at some point she started getting by more on personality than technique.

I've already shared my thoughts multiple times on that controversial Paso Doble which in my opinion was not good. Her Jive was also not great and I thought her scores were fair. Her contemporary was good and I honestly wanted to smack Mark for still whinging when they got a 38. And I know he was bitching because Janel got a perfect score for her contemporary. But here's the thing,  I liked the choreography of Sadie and Mark's contemporary more but in my opinion, Janel danced what Val gave her better than Sadie. And I do think Bethany beat her in the Cha Cha dance off. Again she sold it and she shimmied and sparkled all of over the place but Bethany's arm and foot placement was precise and on point. 

It doesn't matter though because the tone I'm getting from online suggests she has a lot of people in her corner and that's not even counting the fans of her family's show so I would be very surprised if the title does not come down to her and Alfonso. I think Alfonso still has the slight edge but I definitely think Sadie will be one of the last two standing. Of course that's barring Mark doesn't completely fuck up the freestyle which with Mark may be a possibility.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I hope you're wrong, Truth, but I'm afraid your right.  For me as well, Sadie is the weakest dancer left, and I really don't want to see her win it all because of her family or because she's a kid and people feel like she couldn't handle not winning.  For me it should come down to Janel and Alfonso, but you may be right that Sadie will be there instead.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, JerseyGirl said:

I'll always remember how surprisingly good she was on the show. Not having a show biz background. Having Mark helped too, I'm sure.