Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Bombshell

• Start Topic

irrational-episode-10b.jpg

Alec and his team come face to face with the man who was put away for the church bombing 20 years earlier. Marisa and Kylie work together to save Alec, Phoebe and Rizwan. Jace makes a critical break in the case that changes everything.

Premiere Date: Monday, February 12, 2024     NBC       10pm

Matthew Maccaull as Agent Dennis Mackay
Ben Cotton as Wes Banning

irrational-episode-10c.jpg

Garry Chalk as Bob Caswith
Steven Roberts as Belfast
June Laporte as Dahlia

irrational-episode-10f.jpg

Matthew MacCaull as Dennis Mackay
Will E. McDonald as Sniper
Siana Bajwa as Grace

How did I know that the people who want to tell you what they know about something later, wouldn't get the opportunity to do so. Doing that twice in row is a little too much.

• Like 2

This is getting tedious. Will we find out that ex wife’s new bf is Mathias or someone else on the FBI? Been thinking that for the past three episodes.

Past several episodes ( especially last week ) knew the ending within the first few minutes.

Series needs to ditch the assistants, get new writers, and maybe a promising series can get off the ground.  Right now it’s just plodding along. Too bad….I really like JM.  He deserves better.

• Like 6

Well, Wes, it sucks to be you, but you gotta understand that if you push the intended target to the ground, and then turn around and present full frontal in the window, it's not going to end well for you.

7 hours ago, bioprof said:

Will we find out that ex wife’s new bf is Mathias or someone else on the FBI? Been thinking that for the past three episodes.

The director and/or actor are unambiguously channeling that outcome.

7 hours ago, bioprof said:

Series needs to ditch the assistants

Maybe it’s because I was multitasking while watching, but the assistants didn’t bug me in this episode.

I'm not really interested in the bombing mystery, and I also was not interested in sympathizing with the bomber, so this episode was mostly a slog for me.

It's weird to me that they have Kylie's subplot of her looking for a new career, at the same time she's the show's Expert Computer Hacker.

I know the show's gimmick is the psychological/behavioral themes, etc; but they're going to have to figure out a better way to present those because it's kinda tedious and annoying to have that exposition in the dialogue every third scene.

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, Trini said:

I know the show's gimmick is the psychological/behavioral themes, etc; but they're going to have to figure out a better way to present those because it's kinda tedious and annoying to have that exposition in the dialogue every third scene.

Oh my goodness, when the female assistant was explaining to the male assistant (do they have names?) that pushing the button multiple times doesn't make the elevator come faster, with zero sarcasm in her voice, I think I felt physical pain.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Did not enjoy this episode. It felt like a hot mess to me.  And I don't know if it was because I wasn't paying close enough attention or because of the writing (the later is my guess) but I did not understand for the life of me why Mathias wanted Wes dead.  Wes didn't know who Mathias was and didn't seem to know anything about the church bombing other than he built the bomb for it so what was Mathias afraid of with him?  

If Mathias is the ex-wife's new BF did he shoot himself to make him look less suspicious? It didn't look like it was a self inflicted wound but if he lives I'll be suspicious - maybe he's not working alone?  

I really want JM in a better show.  He can take this sister but leave everyone else. Why can't he come back to Law & Order?  Not that it's great now but it's better than this and he would only improve it. 

• Like 5
22 hours ago, Trini said:

It's weird to me that they have Kylie's subplot of her looking for a new career, at the same time she's the show's Expert Computer Hacker.

How about ditch the assistants, have Kylie be the support team for JM, and, for heaven’s sake, get new writers.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I think the most recent episodes have offered a slight improvement. They aren't making JLM be non-stop Exposition Fairy all the time (still too much of the time but progress). The relationship with his sister is working well. The assistants are worthless and add nothing, to the point that most of us do not even remember their names, let alone care at all what happens to them. And the Big Arc with the bombing where JLM was injured is a nothing burger of a story, largely because it's entirely been told to the audience rather than shown. That is the least interesting storyline in the show, full stop.

• Like 1

Unless I am dreaming (entirely possible), I think they showed the bombing.

However I believe it was a flashback sequence.  Anyway it would be in one of the early episodes.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, kaygeeret said:

Unless I am dreaming (entirely possible), I think they showed the bombing.

However I believe it was a flashback sequence.  Anyway it would be in one of the early episodes.

Right, but any depiction onscreen has been in flashback and, to me, at least, lacking in emotional engagement. I don't think they've developed the story of what an impact it had in a way that prompts the viewer to care. Or maybe it's just me that doesn't feel any emotional payoff from the storyline.

• Like 1

jcbrown - you make some good points.  I hadn't really thought about the bombing in that way.

I think you are correct, a flashback does reduce/eliminate a good deal of emotional commitment.

So many comments reveal that the show is clearly lacking that 'something' that engages the audience.  I say writing, but it could be something else.

I am in it for JLM and now the actor playing his sister - the actor is very good in the role.

• Like 1

Was this the season finale? This is a show, based on the premise, that might work better as a case of the week show. With the bombing in the background, if it must be mentioned. The episode where JLM was a expert witness at a trial was one of the best of the season. That's where he can get in all the exposition about behaviors. His sister could be his support team and we never hear from his assistants again. You could bring in various guest stars every week and have a reason to talk about the irrational behaviors.

Oh, and who is bugging the ex-wife's house? Did the kill her boyfriend so she could get back together with JLM? No thank you, she can go too or get better writing for the character.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Alright, my nitpick.

What is one of the rules of firearms safety? "Be sure of the target and what is behind it." It is very much laughable that the FBI sniper team would lethally shoot on blobs of thermal image without knowing 100% who the blobs were representing. All the had were guesses and they were willing to kill based on the guess? 

• Like 1