Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Volcheck

• Start Topic

Ha, I love that Darryl isn't here for any of Mickey's crap anymore. What kind of a jerk apologizes for giving away the car his son wanted by offering to let him buy it for $5000? He certainly wasn't going to ask Conor for $5K, but now Darryl is supposed to pay for a busted up car? I know Mickey only made up that number to try to draw him into the heist, but it's hard to believe that Mickey was such a successful criminal when I see him do things like this. I just hope Darryl's disdain lasts and he doesn't end up getting involved in this hare brained scheme.

ETA: The episode title keeps making me think of Kevin Volchok on The O.C.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

I don't think just getting rid of Cookie will solve problems.  Seems to be in charge of a gang so someone else equally vicious would just take over.

That's why Ray doesn't want to mess around, telling Bridget to lie and telling his bosses to give up the rights to the song catalogs.

• Love 1

Speculation: Abby will shoot and kill Cookie

LOL: Abby rings buzzer, Cookie walks down the driveway and stands by the gate, Abby shoots him, bodyguards fail to shoot her, supercopboytoy brings rogue SWAT team to eliminate bodyguards. Meanwhile, Avi & Lena captured the shootout on video and Ray does a 3-way with Steve & Ashley. 

• Love 1

Cookie must be buying stupid pills at the same place where Mickey does. Failure to delegate, failure to wear gloves... and he is a "successful" leader.

ETA: Just a bad dream- courtesy of Abby

Edited by paigow

The series should be renamed "STEVE DONOVAN" as Steve has clearly become Ray's psychic twin.

ETA: Or does Steve represent a bizarre hybrid of priest/confessor/father that Ray has been missing?

Ray seems to be reluctantly following Steve's advice.

"Riding to your Emotional Rescue on a fine Arab Chaaaarrrrrger". 

Edited by paigow

Steve tossing his papaya and then diving off the balcony was hilarious.

How has Kate already reached Abby levels of annoyance? As soon as she showed up on my screen. I groaned and rolled my eyes. I just want her to go away. On that Cochran and I can agree.

Abby reminded me of Carmela Soprano tonight. She likes to live in denial about what Ray does (except when it's convenient for her to throw it in his face) and now she wants her boyfriend to be the violent thug now that it suits her purpose.

Last week Ezra was adament that he would not sell Marvin or Rekon's catalog to Cookie and this week he was like, "Great news, Raymond!" Argggh, Ezra.

• Love 1

Last week Ezra was adament that he would not sell Marvin or Rekon's catalog to Cookie and this week he was like, "Great news, Raymond!" Argggh, Ezra.

Uh... what?  Are we watching the same show?

Last week Ezra was adamant that he would not sell Marvin or Rekon's catalog to Cookie.... until Ray told Ezra that Bridget was in the back seat of the car, and she saw the whole thing.

Ezra then immediately and visably melted and he immediately told Ray he would, of course, do whatever he needed.

It was one of the more poignant scenes of the episode.

• Love 6

I can't deal with Abby and her convenient disapproval of what Ray does. You wanted a 4 million dollar house that you know Ray has to do certain things to afford. Stop complaining. You know who you married!

For a chick from south Boston who probably grew up around all kinds of shade, AND married a Donovan, you would think she would know that Bridgette should keep her mouth shut. I just don't get this character at times.

I know Ray is an emotionally cold asshole, but why doesn't she? Lol

Also I'm probably in the minority but can Ray at some point soon kill Ezra? Can this please happen...

• Love 4

I can't deal with Abby and her convenient disapproval of what Ray does. You wanted a 4 million dollar house that you know Ray has to do certain things to afford. Stop complaining. You know who you married!

For a chick from south Boston who probably grew up around all kinds of shade, AND married a Donovan, you would think she would know that Bridgette should keep her mouth shut. I just don't get this character at times.

I know Ray is an emotionally cold asshole, but why doesn't she? Lol

Also I'm probably in the minority but can Ray at some point soon kill Ezra? Can this please happen...

Hopefully, Steve convinces Abby to swim in the ocean, and the ocean keeps her.

• Love 2

Give Hank Azaria an Emmy just for that wearily put out reaction to Volcheck shooting himself.

Everyone in this show could do with some basic relationship advice. For example- don't interrogate your dangerously violent sex buddy about his abuse mid-coitus. Or find a nice unmarried girlfriend who won't withhold sex until you agree to murder someone.

Steve continues to steal the show for me. I would watch an entire hour of Ray just reacting to him.

• Love 5

The episode title keeps making me think of Kevin Volchok on The O.C.

Made me think of Major Valchek from The Wire.  Speaking of which, glad to see more Bunk this episode, although he is a sad, sad character here.

I really, really don't want Terry to be involved in Mickey's little outing.  Nothing good can come of it.  And poor Bunchy just depressed out on the cot.

Anybody but me wish Ray had finished choking the life out of Lois Lane?  It's not like he's never killed anyone before.  Mentioning his childhood abuse is definitely his Kryptonite.

• Love 2

Trying to decide what was more disgusting, Abby putting her cop boyfriend up to murdering for her or Cochran and his wife grooming the young couple to take over where the Volcheck's left off. 

Edited by jonesingjay
  • Love 1

Trying to decide what was more disgusting, Abby putting her cop boyfriend up to murdering for her or Cochran and his wife grooming the young couple to take over where the Volcheck's left off. 

I vote Abby.  Telling her boy toy cop to "be a man", as in spinelessly doing her bidding, risking his career and life in prison just so he can bang the screechy Beantown milf.

And way for the reporter to turn Ray on by talking about him getting raped by a priest in the middle of sex.  That girl sure knows how to excite a man in bed.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2

Trying to decide what was more disgusting, Abby putting her cop boyfriend up to murdering for her or Cochran and his wife grooming the young couple to take over where the Volcheck's left off.

Definitely Abby. As much as swing/kinky group sex might be out of the mainstream, I don't see anything terrible about two couples doing adult things, when all participants consent to whatever they are doing. It might not be something I am attracted to, but I don't really care about how other people deal with their sex lives.

Abby, on the other hand, is a needy bitch. It also annoys me when someone says things like "be a man", "grow a pair". As if only male human beings can take action. This is sexism 

But then for me, any episode that heavily features Mickey is a bust.

Same here. I fast forward through his scenes. Not interested.

As much as I cant stand Mickey, Terry is a grown man and has to own his choices. If he gets killed or arrested, Mickey is the root of the problem, but ultimately, just like Daryll, Terry could have walked away. He is upset with Ray because of his criminality, but the minute it provides the chance for an easy out for him, crime is the way to go. Terry's actions only serve to demonstrate the general theme of hypocrisy on this show. They all know who and what is but lie to themselves to suit their own self-serving agendas.

• Love 4

I don't see anything terrible about two couples doing adult things, when all participants consent to whatever they are doing. It might not be something I am attracted to, but I don't really care about how other people deal with their sex lives.

It's not the swinging I find to be disgusting. It's more about the fact that Cochran is a sleaze and once he uses up that guy and his wife/girlfriend he'll give them the boot. Seeing them at dinner made me think about how the Volcheck's were probably charmed in the same manner, and it all ends up with a guy blowing his brains out with a gun at a table. 

• Love 2

It's not the swinging I find to be disgusting. It's more about the fact that Cochran is a sleaze and once he uses up that guy and his wife/girlfriend he'll give them the boot.

Yeah, but then again, adults making adult decisions. Volcheck is responsible for blowing up his brains. Not Cochran. I suspect that the dynamics of such relationships is the same with monogamous relationships - one couple is alpha, the other more submissive. I don't think anyone is a victim, unless they are being forced to do things they do not want to do. 

Yeah, but then again, adults making adult decisions. Volcheck is responsible for blowing up his brains. Not Cochran. I suspect that the dynamics of such relationships is the same with monogamous relationships - one couple is alpha, the other more submissive. I don't think anyone is a victim, unless they are being forced to do things they do not want to do. 

Of course. Adults making adult decisions. Just like Abby's boyfriend choosing to murder for her (if he does so) hopefully not. I still think it's pretty slimy of Cochran. Those two don't know what they are getting into. 

Sorry, but consenting adults argument does not hold water here. Cochran is somebody in power over Volcheck, and by extension his wife. As it turned out, once Volcheck did something about the relationship that Cochran did not like - got Ray take the video - Cochran took action that affected Volcheck personally, using his power. The same thing could not be done the other way around.

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Love 4

I agree that Cochram is slimy. I just don't think he is responsible for Volcheck shooting himself.

Cochram abused his power but he did not force (as far as we know) Volcheck to participate in their group sex. It was Volcheck who thought he was "special". Cochran is a manipulative ass but I do't think that it has ever crossed his mind that someone would kill himself for being rejected in the way Volcheck was

If the boyfriend shoots someone for revenge, it is a crime. If a couple gets into group sex, it is a choice. 

That's why my response to what was more disgusting was Abby's request. You ask someone to kill someone, you are a criminal. There is no crime in group sex, or in manipulating - as disgusting as it might be - someone into it. 

I agree that Cochram is slimy. I just don't think he is responsible for Volcheck shooting himself.

I don't think he's responsible for Volcheck shooting himself either. It just happens to be how that storyline was concluded. 

Edited by jonesingjay

I thought the show had made it pretty clear all along that Volchek was being coerced into the swinging sessions because his job was on the line. 

Sorry, but consenting adults argument does not hold water here. Cochran is somebody in power over Volcheck, and by extension his wife. As it turned out, once Volcheck did something about the relationship that Cochran did not like - got Ray take the video - Cochran took action that affected Volcheck personally, using his power. The same thing could not be done the other way around.

This. Cochran not only coerced Volchek into sexual scenarios he plainly didn't want and wasn't into (threatening him with steep punishment or reward professionally depending on his response), but he also had to watch Cochran repeatedly screw his wife. Then Cochran took the action he'd threatened all along and was sending him into the middle of nowhere for a dead-end job he'd never get out of. It was brutal.

Cochram abused his power but he did not force (as far as we know) Volcheck to participate in their group sex. It was Volcheck who thought he was "special". Cochran is a manipulative ass but I do't think that it has ever crossed his mind that someone would kill himself for being rejected in the way Volcheck was

If the boyfriend shoots someone for revenge, it is a crime. If a couple gets into group sex, it is a choice. 

That's why my response to what was more disgusting was Abby's request. You ask someone to kill someone, you are a criminal. There is no crime in group sex, or in manipulating - as disgusting as it might be - someone into it. 

I would agree that Volchek made the decision to shoot himself. However, I would also say that Cochran directly drove Volchek to do so -- Volchek's rage at his coercion and then punishment was what had him show up at that table with the gun, directed at the author of his situation -- Cochran. Volchek only turned it on himself after Cochran's wife begged him not to shoot her husband (which I thought was an interesting moment, and showed that perhaps their sexual relationship had gotten to him a bit in spite of himself).

I found myself feeling incredibly sorry for the couple at that table, who had no idea what they were actually auditioning for -- it wasn't about consensual swinging, it was about Cochran having total power, and sexual power, over both the man and the woman in that couple (and that he would be willing to destroy them at a moment's notice as soon as he didn't get what he wanted out of the "relationship").

Steve continues to steal the show for me. I would watch an entire hour of Ray just reacting to him.

I know it's wrong, but I absolutely love Steve. He's the most interesting new character of the season for me -- he's scary and repugnant, but also weirdly hilarious, and occasionally bizarrely likable. Eion Bailey is absolutely superb in the role.

• Love 2

it was about Cochran having total power, and sexual power, over both the man and the woman in that couple (and that he would be willing to destroy them at a moment's notice as soon as he didn't get what he wanted out of the "relationship").

Yes, from a perspective of a viewers. My comments are generalized. We get into situations we regret, or don't wish to be in. Sometimes people do have "total power" over us. But I don't think this was the case. Cochran did not have "total power" over the couple. He had the power, maybe, to fire the other guy, to send him to a dead end place, professionally speaking. Volcheck was infatuated, he thought he was special. If not, he could also exert his power over Cochran and threaten him. He could use the argument of "he is my boss, he threatened to transfer me, fire me, if I did not did what he and his wife wanted". It was abuse but, in this case, it is also about how eager the other guy would be willing to go for it to rise up in the bureau. I don't see them as innocent victims