Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

Looks like the show is in reruns all next week, but I get it. This is a show that could probably burn itself out quickly if they tried to crank out a new episode every week of the year.

My guess is that they'll follow the same schedule Colbert does. His show is also off (as is Seth Meyers).

We insomniacs will have to watch Kimmel, The Daily Show, or QVC or something. Or, you know, get some goddamn sleep for a change....

• LOL 2

S01.E20: February 25, 2024
Actor Brendan Hunt; comic Marc Maron; comic Zainab Johnson. 
Premiere Date: February 26, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E21: February 26, 2024
Actress Caitlin Peluffo; comic Dulcé Sloan; comic Jenny Zigrino.
Premiere Date: February 27, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E22: February 27, 2024
Comic Fortune Feimster; comic Mae Martin; comic Tig Notaro.
Premiere Date: February 28, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E23: February 28, 2024
Comic W. Kamau Bell; comic Nish Kumar; actress Anjelah Johnson-Reyes.
Premiere Date: February 29, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

• Applause 1

Monday's show was good. I liked all three panelists. I've tried to listen to Marc Maron's podcast but he interrupts his guests incessantly and seems to have a moderate case of ADD. I've never seen Brendan Hunt in anything else but Ted Lasso so I'm not familiar with his background. Zainab Johnson is great in Upload, I'm curious to check out her stand-up special.

Speaking of which, I watched Taylor Tomlinson's Netflix special this week, or at least part of it. It wasn't very good IMO. 

Tues night was fun. The panelists seemed to be having the time of their lives.

I had no idea Dulce won a GLAAD Award. I had to look that up, and yes, it's true. Apparently she did something awesome when she guest hosted The Daily Show, but I don't remember it, so I can't say what it was. Good for her, though.

The shirt about "doing sex" made me sad, somehow. I mean... yikes. 

On 2/28/2024 at 2:30 PM, possibilities said:

I had no idea Dulce won a GLAAD Award.

I'm not crazy about her. To me, she's more clown than comedienne. 

I feel the same about Fortune Feimster. I've seen her on several sitcoms and she's always just some version of herself. I have a feeling she (along with Dulce) has been told her whole life that she's "funny" but maybe they didn't mean it in a nice way. Her standup isn't very good. I didn't hate her on The Mindy Project though.

I do, however, love Tig Notaro and Mae Martin so Wednesday's show was great. The three of them worked well together. 

S01.E24: March 4, 2024  
Actor Rob Riggle; comic Adam Ray; drag queen Monét X Change
Premiere Date: March 5, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E25: March 5, 2024  
Actress Esther Povitsky; actor Haley Joel Osment; comic Steph Tolev Premiere Date: March 6, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E26: March 6, 2024  
Actor Ron Funches; actor Adam Pally; comic Blair Socci
Premiere Date: March 7, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E27: March 7, 2024  
Comic Beth Stelling; comic Mo Welch
Premiere Date: March 8, 2024  CBS  12:37am

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

S01.E25: March 5, 2024  
Actress Esther Povitsky; actor Haley Joel Osment; comic Steph Tolev Premiere Date: March 6, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E26: March 6, 2024  
Actor Ron Funches; actor Adam Pally; comic Blair Socci
Premiere Date: March 7, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E27: March 7, 2024  
Comic Beth Stelling; comic Mo Welch
Premiere Date: March 8, 2024  CBS  12:37am

About time Ron Funches showed up -- he was a regular on the previous edition.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 3/4/2024 at 1:43 AM, AnimeMania said:

I'm not exactly the biggest Jeff Probst fan, but I didn't mind how his guest appearance changed things up a bit.

Ugh, Jeff Probst. For me he was an unwelcome intrusion in an otherwise pretty good episode. Sorry, CBS, not everyone loves Jeff Probst, even people who watch Survivor. Also? He is apparently very short. Something I never noticed before.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

Haley Joel Osment is talented. I didn't know he's still acting. I was surprised how well he did.

HJO had a hilarious role on "What We Do In The Shadows." However, I didn't think he was very good at this. Kurt and Esther were both much better. I don't know why the randomness of the points assigned bugs me so much when the show is just a fake game but HJO winding up with far more points than either Kurt or Esther really bugged me.

The show has veered off the rails again, in my opinion. It went from camaraderie to chaos last night. 

I thought Adam's bit about the name/logo was funny and warranted (it bothers me, too! @ is not "after"!) for a while, but then it just seemed like he was doing it because he didn't have any other material, and it seemed lazy and time wastey and I got annoyed.

I also thought Ron was not in top form. Really, everyone last night seemed kind of slow, and off their game.

• Like 4

Kurt Braunohler is becoming the Tom Lennon of this series -- two appearances, two eliminations.

Hey, you can say 'taint' on CBS.  Who knew ?

It was great to see Ron Funches again. Loved the championship belt from @Midnight.  Loved the suit and hat.

Adam Pally's commitment to the confusing show name bit was pretty funny.

Taylor was rocking that pleather jacket on the Thursday show -- even if she did say it was hot.

The VR charades game was different.

S01.E28: March 11, 2024  
Actor Randy Sklar; actor Jason Sklar
Premiere Date: March 12, 2024  CBS  12:37am

S01.E29: March 12, 2024 
Actor Flula Borg; actor Chris Grace; comic Pink Foxx
Premiere Date: March 13, 2024  CBS  12:37am

S01.E30: March 13, 2024 
Comic Caroline Rhea; comic Matt Rogers; comic James Davis
Premiere Date: March 14, 2024  CBS  12:37am

S01.E31: March 14, 2024 
Comic Reggie Conquest; comic Jordan Temple; comic Paul F. Tompkins
Premiere Date: March 15, 2024  CBS  12:37am

51 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

S01.E28: March 11, 2024  
Actor Randy Sklar; actor Jason Sklar
Premiere Date: March 12, 2024  CBS  12:37am

No third podium for the Sklar brothers? In related news, I heard a fascinating story by/about them a while back. Probably on This American Life (public radio show/podcast). They began to suspect that at some point their parents had gotten them mixed up or the identical twin id system had failed, and they weren’t confident that they each were the twin they thought they were. Really interesting, a lot more to consider than I would have thought. I won’t spoil anything but not a cliffhanger. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

Have the Sklar brothers ever been funny? I've never thought so. I mean, they had a funny guest appearance on What We Do in the Shadows, but that was scripted. Presumably not by them. 

Rob Haze looked like he would rather be anywhere else. Which is exactly how I would feel standing next to the Sklar brothers.

Taylor quoting Rotten Tomatoes prompted me to look it up. The show currently has a 45% audience rating. Oof.

• Like 1

I'm sure some of the lesser-known comics appreciate the exposure the show gives them but in some cases it's not doing them any favors. Never heard of Pink Foxx before and nothing she did on this show made me want to look up her work or follow her. 

Wednesday's show was great though, Matt, Caroline and James were on fire and having a blast.

• Like 1

I looked for Pink Foxx on the web because I liked her and wanted to see what her comedy was like, and she doesn't seem to have a big internet presence. Her YouTube channel only had 3 very short clips. 

I can't recall which booted comedian said it on an ep weeks ago, but someone said "this show should be 30 minutes." I couldn't agree more. I think Taylor is doing a good job and most of the games are fun, but I have 8 episodes backed up on my dvr right now because when I have a half-hour to watch something entertaining, I just can't squeeze it in. Really want to continue giving it a chance but it's occupying too much t.v. time for not enough concentrated comedy.

• Like 2
On 3/15/2024 at 1:03 AM, possibilities said:

For unknown reasons, I really enjoyed the orange, yellow, and purple hats on Thursday's show.

It's concerning that I am still thinking about that, and not the jokes, though.

Tbh, I’m surprised if anything about the show is memorable.  I don’t even mean that negatively- what I want is for it to be funny in the moment while I’m watching it, which it generally is.  I feel like that’s the goal of the show- to be cheap, disposable humor.  I mean, the signature game is about spitting out as many puns as possible in a minute.  If anything, the memorable things are the times where the show didn’t work- like that chud Pally trying to hijack the games.  Since I don’t want to end on a negative note, I’ll add that if something is going to be memorable for a good reason, I’m not surprised PFT was involved.

• Like 1

S01.E32: March 24, 2024 
Actress Chloe Radcliffe; actor Matt Braunger; Chris Fleming
Premiere Date: March 25, 2024  CBS  12:37am

S01.E33: March 25, 2024 
Comic Shane Torres; comic Kyle Kinane; Amy Miller
Premiere Date: March 26, 2024  CBS  12:37am

S01.E34: March 26, 2024 
Comic Phoebe Robinson; comic Dewayne Perkins; actor and comic Guy Branum
Premiere Date: March 27, 2024  CBS  12:37am

Taylor has a bit they're airing for Women's History Month. I saw it tonight while watching Tracker. Apparently there are a lot of women behind the scenes, working on the show in all kinds of roles.

The spot part of the "if you can see it, you can be it" campaign. They flashed on so many folks, it kind of blows my mind how many people are needed to put on a show like this. It looks so simple when you watch it, but apparently it takes a huge number of people. 

Taylor gets a little choked up saying she wants girls to know it's not just her, there are lots of women working on the show in every capacity, and she wants to make sure girls know: you can do anything. 

• Like 4
On 3/18/2024 at 7:59 PM, Dewey Decimate said:

but I have 8 episodes backed up on my dvr right now because when I have a half-hour to watch something entertaining, I just can't squeeze it in. Really want to continue giving it a chance but it's occupying too much t.v. time for not enough concentrated comedy.

I just watch the clips on youtube. They make a playlist for each episode with the videos in order, so I just wait for that to go up and add them to my watch later list. I did watch one episode on demand because I wasn't sure if they were cutting a bunch of stuff out, but I honestly don't recall there being anything that I missed on youtube.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Monday's show was a real bust IMO. Three comics I'd never heard of, and now I know why. 

Matt Braunger was a regular on @Midnight, but I'd never seen Chloe or Chris before either.

On the upside, Tuesday's show with Amy, Shane, and Kyle was pretty funny.

Just now, ottoDbusdriver said:

On the upside, Tuesday's show with Amy, Shane, and Kyle was pretty funny.

Agreed. The show really lives or dies depending on the panel. I think I might have seen Amy somewhere before but not the other two. They all played really well together. 

I love it when they narrate silent Tik Tok videos. I wish they'd do that more often.

What doesn't work IMO is the non-podium games. I've yet to see one that was really funny or really worked well. Ranking female singers, directions (?!) and sandwiches was dumb.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Ranking female singers, directions (?!) and sandwiches was dumb.

That was truly horrible.

The one non-podium game I thought went well was when they had the panel pose together to recreate a photo.

I wish they would pick up the pace, though. There is just too much dead air while they silently laugh over their own jokes. 

They could do twice the material in half the time if they fixed the pacing and stopped wasting time.

• Like 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

They could do twice the material in half the time if they fixed the pacing and stopped wasting time.

Or trim the show back to the half hour format of the original series.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 3/27/2024 at 9:12 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Or trim the show back to the half hour format of the original series.

I understand why it's an hour, because they have to fill the spot previously occupied by the James Corden show. I'm not sure what more they could do to make it work better as an hour-long show, but it really did work better as a half-hour show. When it's not working, it's really, really not working.

• Like 2

S01.E35: April 1, 2024  
Comic Jourdain Fisher; actor Arden Myrin; writer Zach Zimmerman
Premiere Date: April 2, 2024  CBS  12:37am

S01.E36: April 2, 2024  
Actor Jack Martin; comic Maggie Winters; actor Vinny Thomas
Premiere Date: April 3, 2024  CBS  12:37am

S01.E37: April 3, 2024  
Comic Maria Bamford; comic Jackie Kashian; comic Laurie Kilmartin
Premiere Date: April 4, 2024  CBS  12:37am

S01.E38: April 4, 2024  
Comic Trevor Wallace; comic London Hughes; actor Affion Crockett
Premiere Date: April 5, 2024  CBS  12:37am

Monday's show was really good. All three comics worked well together. My favorite bit was JoJo Siwa road rage. 

But I don't like the games where they have to guess whether the panelist is telling the truth or not. I'd just prefer they show the beginning of a video clip and then make up how it ends. That would probably be a lot funnier. Also, I don't get the point of "whisper your wager into your podium." That just seems dumb.

• Like 3

I found last night's show quite entertaining! Loved Affian (?) and actually laughed out loud at some of the group's jokes ( which I assure you doesn't happen very often). And my CBS affiliate didn't mess up like they did with the previous night's show, missing the FTW options for extra commercials and just rolling credits. Srsly, what the hell?

• Like 1

I see they have tweaked the format a bit. They now spend the entire first segment on Group Chat, then do Hashtag Wars after the first commercial break and after the talk show portion. That means one less game overall, which is probably for the best, since some of them don't really work very well. 

That said, they spent FAR too much time on the talk show portion in the last episode. The comics were just sucking all the oxygen out of the room, especially London. She needed to dial it down from 11 to about 9.

S01.E39: April 9, 2024  
Author Dustin Nickerson; actress Dulcé Sloan; comic Amir K.
Premiere Date: April 10, 2024  CBS  12:37am

S01.E40: April 10, 2024  
TV personality Loni Love; comic Jackie Fabulous; actor Dan Levy
Premiere Date: April 11, 2024  CBS  12:37am

S01.E41: April 11, 2024  
Comic Joel Kim Booster; actress Greta Titelman; director Sandy Honig
Premiere Date: April 12, 2024  CBS  12:37am

S01.E42: April 12, 2024  
Actress Diona Reasonover; comic Doug Benson
Premiere Date: April 13, 2024  CBS  12:37am

On 4/6/2024 at 12:22 PM, iMonrey said:

The comics were just sucking all the oxygen out of the room, especially London. She needed to dial it down from 11 to about 9.

I've pretty much only seen her on various rebooted game shows and that has been my general impression every time...

The show continues to be hit or miss. They really need to sit down and decide which games are working and which aren't instead of trying to come up with new games all the time. I've yet to see one work where they come out from behind their podiums and try to act something out. This last one where they did improv Cameo messages was really bad. Also, trying to guess the Vine clips was pointless because they were so obscure nobody could ever guess them. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I usually just watch the clips on youtube (via the episode playlist so they're in order); there are no new videos so far today (it's noon...) so I am watching on the CBS website (April 16th episode). I watch youtube almost always at 1.5x speed but that's not an option on the CBS site. I don't know if it's just this group (who I am not familiar with - I've only seen Marcella before - and am not finding especially hilarious) or the slower speed but it's not as good.

The USA USA USA chanting is not nearly as hysterical as Taylor seems to find it.

My favorite segment is always Hashtag Wars.

55 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This last one where they did improv Cameo messages was really bad. Also, trying to guess the Vine clips was pointless because they were so obscure nobody could ever guess them. 

This Ha vs Ha game is dumb, too. And feels like it's going on forever.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3