Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

'Jeopardy with dick jokes' is back !!

I enjoyed it, and I'm willing to give them a few weeks to iron out the bugs.

What I liked:
-- the big video screen -- it looks like a giant Samsung  Galaxy Z Flip smartphone, there has to be a promotional opportunity there somewhere
-- Taylor Tomlinson -- Taylor did a really good job filling Chris Hardwick's shoes (though she needs to stop adjusting her jacket), she's got good timing, and thinks fast on her feet
-- extended running time (nearly 40 minutes) -- it's about the same length as the unedited extended versions of @midnight that we used to get once a week.  It allows them more time to do new and different games.  To Smash or Not To Smash was fun, and it's true Luigi would go down on you, and he's taller than Mario.  :)
-- Kurt Braunohler really makes me laugh, I have missed seeing him on a regular basis.

What I didn't like:
-- Taylor needs to say 'points', the audio cue was just not doing it for me
-- Introducing the comedians before the opening segment kills the energy of the show, they need to put the opening segment first vs just showing a preview of something that was going to be shown some 30 minutes later.
-- Red Light !! -- while Whitney's podium turned red at the end of For The Win (FTW) it needs the full red light treatment.

Don't know if we need threads for each episode (since it is on 4 days a week) -- one General Discussion thread would likely be sufficient.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Don't know if we need threads for each episode (since it is on 4 days a week) -- one General Discussion thread would likely be sufficient.

I was just judging the initial response, and can easily switch to weekly/monthly threads, depending on how heavy is the flow.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I was just judging the initial response, and can easily switch to weekly/monthly threads, depending on how heavy is the flow.

I would think maybe weekly or possibly seasonal (like, say, Whose Line or Late Show or The Daily Show)? At any rate episode threads for a show that airs daily seems a bit unprecedented? 

I missed the first one so this was my first one, if you know what I mean. 🙃

Taylor is OK but she really needs to stop laughing so hard at the jokes, it sounds very forced or like a nervous laugh. Overall I still prefer Hardwick, he just had more of a feel for the spirit of the show. I miss him saying "Points!" and "Hashtag waaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrsss!"

That said, some of the segments had me rolling, especially the narration of the TikTok videos and guessing the movie reviews. I'd never heard of Sophie or Carl before, both were good. 

It's good enough for me to keep watching anyway. 

• Like 2

I still think the set is gaudy and ugly and looks cheaper than the obviously cheap set they used in the original version.

I still think they need to turn down the audience noise-- it's louder than the points bell (drowning it out), and also drowns out what is being said on stage, or causes the game to have to stop while the roar dies down. I don't want to hear big chunks of loud audience noise, I want to hear jokes. They can still have a live audience, but get the sound mix better so it doesn't overwhelm the show.

I also think the players are too busy hamming it up and gasping and  preening and vamping, and not busy enough making jokes. The show has no flow to it, and it feels like the jokes are not only fewer but also just flat out less clever.

Since this is not a real game show, I'd rather have them give the premises to the players ahead of time so they can come up with some good answers beforehand, if that's what it takes, and then just pretend to be buzzing in spontaneously, or else try to get some quicker and funnier people who will actually spend time making me laugh instead of vamping for time by laughing in a prolonged manner themselves before and after everything they say.

Also, it's TOO BRIGHTLY LIT.

I actually like Taylor, but the show overall is more irritating to me than funny so far. 

I also found 2 out of 3 of tonight's show just obnoxious.

I wonder if Ron Funches declined an offer to participate.

This was a disappointment after the previous episode. Max Greenfield was a huge let-down. Apparently he was only there to plug The Neighborhood. With a clip he wasn't even in. Way too much time wasted on crap like that. Most of the time he just had his head down on the podium laughing, and when he did buzz in they cut out whatever he said. 

Robby Hoffman was kind of obnoxious IMO and not a good fit for this show. She managed to land one or two good jokes but that's about it. The other guy was OK (it wasn't Ike Barinholtz). 

• Like 3

I thought this was the weakest episode of the week. Greenfield seemed like he didn't even want to be there and I found Hoffman to be obnoxious.

Overall, I'm liking the show. I think Taylor is doing a good job as host. I will say that don't know if the show needs to be an hour long. I think it can start to drag at times, but I'm going to stick with it for now.

• Like 1

I'm glad they repeated this, I missed it the first time. Strong start with strong comics. That's what I miss most about the original show, seeing people like Kurt Braunohler, Flula Borg and Ron Funches on the regular. 

After four episodes, though, it hasn't really proven itself worthy of a whole hour. I get that the network is trying to fill a specific time slot here but I just don't feel like this kind of show merits that much time. It definitely drags in spots.

• Like 2
On 1/19/2024 at 2:04 PM, possibilities said:

Since this is not a real game show, I'd rather have them give the premises to the players ahead of time so they can come up with some good answers beforehand, if that's what it takes, and then just pretend to be buzzing in spontaneously, or else try to get some quicker and funnier people who will actually spend time making me laugh instead of vamping for time by laughing in a prolonged manner themselves before and after everything they say.

I thought that was already the case! At least, I thought I had read that somewhere about the old show - they had writers for at least some of the responses. Did I imagine that? 

• Like 1

Good to see Doug Benson on this version of the show.

Had never seen Josh Johnson or Atsuko Okatsuka before -- liked them both.

The Emoji SOS game was .... ok, but took too long.

What was the point of the cup of mystery exactly ?

Taylor's pants were so high.

Great to see Marcella Arguello -- I liked her on the old version of the show.

Marcella and Guy were really good.

The panelists reactions to the changed button sound was even funnier than their answers in the Trigger Warning game.

Marcella's exit speech was funny -- especially when she was acting so distraught that she collapsed on the floor and remained there during FTW to sell the bit.

S01.E10: January 31, 2024 
Sasheer Zamata; Joyelle Nicole Johnson; John Hodgman 
Premiere Date: February 1, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E11: February 1, 2024 
Thomas Lennon
Premiere Date: February 2, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

On 1/22/2024 at 12:54 PM, AnimeMania said:

Natasha Leggero; Moshe Kasher; Jon Daly 

If this had been the first episode I'd ever seen of the show, I probably would never have watched it again. And I generally enjoy Natasha and Moshe but boy this was one unfunny episode. The games were dumb and the jokes just didn't land. 

On 1/23/2024 at 11:04 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Yes, they did get responses to some of the questions on the old show.

It seems like they know the Hashtag Wars subject in advance.

S01.E12: February 5, 2024 
Drag queen Bianca Del Rio; comic Reggie Watts; actress Wendi McLendon-Covey
Premiere Date: February 6, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E13: February 6, 2024 
Actress Sherry Cola; comic Jon Gabrus; comic Megan Gailey
Premiere Date: February 7, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E14: February 7, 2024 
Comic Dusty Slay; comic London Hughes; comic Sarah Tiana
Premiere Date: February 8, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E15: February 8, 2024 
Comic Billy Eichner; actor Nico Santos; comic Pete Holmes
Premiere Date: February 9, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

I liked last week's shows a little more than the ones before then. I still think they need to tighten it up, and increase the joke density and decrease the banter. I also find most of the "games" they do not worth it. But I do think it's getting better. Also, the audience noise is still too loud and drowns out the points bell and takes up too much time. You can have a live audience and not make them take up that much time and be that loud.

I also think that I liked it better partly because I didn't watch it at night. The show is way too loud and chaotic for late at night. I want to laugh, but I don't need to be overstimulated with loud, bright, and chaotic before sleep. Laughter, yes. Cleverness, yes. But less of a circus would be better. They probably expect most of their audience to watch it on delay, though, not really when it airs.

• Like 1
On 2/5/2024 at 3:05 PM, AnimeMania said:

S01.E12: February 5, 2024 
Drag queen Bianca Del Rio; comic Reggie Watts; actress Wendi McLendon-Covey

Bianca and Wendi were pretty good at this. Reggie didn't add much. 

The best game they've played thus far in the 12 episodes aired was in the very first where the comics had to adlib dialogue for silent TikTok videos. I wish they'd do that game more often.

The ones in the second half where the come out from behind the podiums and act something out just don't work very well for this show. I've yet to find any of them very funny.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Is anyone else watching?

Not a lot of us, it seems. It's pretty good overall, although the comics can be a bit hit or miss, much like the original version. I enjoyed Wednesday's with Dusty Slay - I had never heard of him before so I looked up some of this standup on YouTube. His standup is just so-so IMO so I guess a little of him goes a long way.

S01.E15: February 8, 2024 
Comic Billy Eichner; actor Nico Santos; comic Pete Holmes
Premiere Date: February 9, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

About the Gym Equipment Accident Video

On the Bright Side: She can cancel her Bikini Waxing Appointment.

• Like 1
(edited)

S01.E16: February 11, 2024 
TV host Wayne Brady; comic Maria Bamford; filmmaker Kevin Smith
Premiere Date: February 12, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E17: February 12, 2024 
Actress Riki Lindhome; actor Rob Huebel; actor Vinny Thomas
Premiere Date: February 13, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 1

This latest one with Pete Holmes, Billy Eichner and Nico Santos was probably the best yet. When they get really good comics - you know, ones you've actually heard of before - the show does very well. Loved the Hashtag Wars segment. My favorite was My Big Fat Greek Wedding Planner. 

Looks like we've got some heavy hitters coming up Monday and Tuesday too.

12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This latest one with Pete Holmes, Billy Eichner and Nico Santos was probably the best yet. When they get really good comics - you know, ones you've actually heard of before - the show does very well. Loved the Hashtag Wars segment. My favorite was My Big Fat Greek Wedding Planner. 

Agreed -- that episode was the funniest so far.

Don't know if I will be able to stay up that late for the post-SuperBowl episode.

11 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Don't know if I will be able to stay up that late for the post-SuperBowl episode.

It's on series record for me, I've yet to watch one live. The commercials are interminable. I'm able to zip thru it in about 35 minutes.

My one beef with Taylor is that she has a tendency to laugh a little too hard, right out of the gate, when the panelists are introduced and say something "funny." It feels kind of forced like she's trying to emphasize that this is a comedy show. Even if they say something only mildly amusing she goes "Ha ha ha ha ha ha - ha ha ha ha - ha ha." She doesn't do that thru the whole show so it feels very performative.

• Like 3

S01.E18: February 13, 2024
Actress Lauren Lapkus; comic Ashley Nicole Black; comic Irene Tu. 
Premiere Date: February 14, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

S01.E19: February 14, 2024 
Comics Will Miles and Giulia Rozzi; actors Brian McElhaney and Nick Kocher; actress Anna Seregina and comic Chris Thayer
Premiere Date: February 15, 2024  CBS  12:37am  

I really wanted to see the post-Superbowl episode but I knew there was no way my DVR would ever be able to catch it since the timing is so iffy. I ended up watching it on Paramount Plus, but despite a good panel the show itself was just so-so. Monday's show was much better.

4 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Last night was a repeat? I didn't think it was going to be, but when I went to watch it, my updated listings said it was? Was that a mis-label? Did anyone watch and can verify?

Yep, a rerun for me. From 1/24, according to titantv. 

• Thanks 1