Type keyword(s) to search

2024 Season

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 10:43 AM, possibilities said:

I wonder why Jordan s hosting solo when Desi and Michael shared the desk.

I think he's doing a great job, though. Both Tues and Wednes shows were really strong.

Jordan, Desi, Michael, and Ronny all got solo weeks before Desi and Michael did their tag-team week. If they're keeping this format through the election, I imagine all four of them will have multiple solo weeks and different duo configurations. Maybe we'll get a round of solos for each of them, followed by a new duo, then repeat.

ETA I really liked Leslie's piece! She always does a great job, and I continue to like the idea of former guest hosts or other comedians popping in occasionally to shake things up a little. I thought the main theme of the piece was smart, viewing Trump as yet another of the things Americans do even though we know it's bad for us. Also, I'm going to choose that the "I'm probably dying of scurvy" joke was an Our Flag Means Death reference!

Edited by angora
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1

In the interview with Lina Khan, when they were talking about product shortages, I thought it was disappointing that they kind of laughed off the Adderall shortage. Khan laughed when Jon brought it up, and he made a joke about the audience's reaction, noting they seemed to have an "interesting predilection" for Adderall. But ADHDers have been beating the drum on this for a while, emphasizing how hard it can be to function when they can't get access to their prescribed meds, and highlighting that federal agencies don't seem motivated to try and solve it. In articles I've read, they've mainly mentioned the DEA and the FDA, not the FTC, but it still wasn't a great look for the chair of a federal agency to make light of it.

• Like 1

I agree it's a serious problem and should not be made light of.

How I took it was that the audience was not reacting to the infant formula shortage, but was reacting to the adderall shortage, which says something about the audience. In other words, the audience didn't care about the formula, but they did care about the adderall. So... selfish.

(edited)

I'm excited this is a Dulce week!  I figure we're not going to get a whole lot from her as a correspondent now that she's based in L.A. and working on other projects, but I hope we'll keep seeing her in the host rotation.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm excited this is a Desi week!  I figure we're not going to get a whole lot from her as a correspondent now that she's based in L.A. and working on other projects, but I hope we'll keep seeing her in the host rotation.

I think you mean Dulce.

15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think you mean Dulce.

Yep.  I had just written about Desi in another thread, and apparently she was still hanging around in my brain when I got to this one.  I've fixed it, thank you.

I'm a huge John Leguizamo fan, so was very happy he was on Tuesday night's show. I hope that even if they can't get him (or some of the other people who did a hosting stint) as permanent hosts, they will bring him/them back to do appearances like this.

And of course, hooray for Dulce's return.

I had no interest in the interview guest, though. That interview seemed like a totally content-free waste of time.

• Like 3
(edited)

I want Dulce or John Leguizamo to be the new permanent host. I loved her comment about Trump's court cases and Pokemon.

I would also be okay with John Leguizamo doing the occasional Lewis Black style rant if he doesn't become the next host. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 2
22 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I would also be okay with John Leguizamo doing the occasional Lewis Black style rant if he doesn't become the next host. 

I think he's got too much going on for permanent duties, but a guest spot would fit well based on yesterday's monologue. 

"Now the jury just needs a white woman who calls herself a witch." 

• Like 2

Not a fan of Dulce's. I'm sure she's a lovely person but I don't know why she feels she has to yell her lines, it's really annoying.  It's okay to get a point across, but every one of her openings all week I feel like she's yelling at the audience.  Hey, we're on your side. 

This was not one of their better weeks.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

For some reason my DVR will not record the Monday shows with Jon Stewart. It's odd. I have it set for series record and when I try to manually schedule the Monday show to record it says it's already scheduled to record but then it doesn't record it. It records all the rest of the week's shows. Just not Monday's. 

There must be some special designation with the Monday shows the DVR sees as not being part of the regular show. I don't know, I don't get it.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

For some reason my DVR will not record the Monday shows with Jon Stewart. It's odd. I have it set for series record and when I try to manually schedule the Monday show to record it says it's already scheduled to record but then it doesn't record it. It records all the rest of the week's shows. Just not Monday's. 

There must be some special designation with the Monday shows the DVR sees as not being part of the regular show. I don't know, I don't get it.

Just as a data point of one, I have YouTubeTV and its DVR feature has no problem picking up all the shows.  But it does have a way to "report a problem".  Is there a way to do that with your DVR provider?

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I've noticed the same thing happening!

Normally, I think the scripted pre-filmed SNL like bits are stupid and a waste of time, but I loved Rant-A-Car. I actually rewatched some parts to pause it and read it the text. 

My DirecTV DVR has no problem recoding Monday's shows. I would ask your provider for help with this, because it's a weird glitch.

Or, maybe remove the show and then re-set it to record. Sometimes that has worked when I've had problems in the past, with recording other shows.

I thought last night's show was extremely good start to finish. Jordan and Ronny seem to work really well together. Jordan takes the edge off Ronny so he's less of a randomly and relentlessly one note rageful maniac, and Ronny gives Jordan a little bit more bite. Jordan is good at not losing his shit when he talks to the most obnoxious people, but a steady diet of affable can make him seem a little too tolerant of horror at times.

• Like 1

They are going with the current format through the election, which I'm okay with. My guess based on pure speculation is that they announce a new host sometime between November and December and the new full time host will take over after the winter break.

My question is what the plan is/how will they handle the conventions during the summer?