Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: Rate-a-Queen

• Start Topic

(edited)

Seven queens enter lifelong indentiture into the WoW matrix! Meanwhile, production relies on viewers' collective amnesia by resurrecting tired rhetorical tricks in the hope of stirring up fresh excitement, and Amanda Tori Meating struggles to understand human facial anatomy. You should have worn a rainbow catsuit, girl!

Amanda gets a lot of airtime for someone pegged by all (including, apparently, production) as an early out. Hm.

I don't know if Dawn's going to be able to strike gold with quirk, as Crystal, Willow, And Denim have already plundered that vein, but her sass gives me hope. 

Q's runway look was amazing, but I really did want to see how Charlize would have rocked it. Let's hope that the two of them can get together after the show so that we can see the magic.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 4

I enjoyed the episode; at least the talent show contained other acts than flailing along to a poorly written original song. I hated Michelle’s top and wish Ru would change it up sometimes, then again she looks good just kind of boring.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
11 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

at least the talent show contained other acts than flailing along to a poorly written original song. 

Agreed, Q and Sapphirra's acts were so refreshing despite being rather ordinary. I like them both

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out Amanda's name too lol.

I like Dawn's quirkiness, hope she makes it far.

Morphine is just the latest entry in a long line of queens who puts others down to raise herself up. I know it has "entertainment value" but I do not like watching what is essentially bullying, and I hope she doesn't win, despite her obvious talent. She criticized the queen that came after her in the talent show (can't remember who it was). She was like, "What was that?", and I was like, "Bitch she did exactly the same thing you just did!" 

• Like 4

I loved Q's runway look!  I wanted to see even more of the inside of the cape!  I'm impressed that she and Dawn are designing/creating their own looks. 

Saphirra did an amazing job in the talent show.  I didn't care for her runway reveal, but her entrance look was great. 

I'm enjoying Dawn and am looking forward to more from her.

• Like 6

Well, another group of queens take the stage. I guess I am getting old, because each one reminds me of another previous contestant, but I can't remember any of the originals' names! 🤔 Q = Raven. Dawn = Willow Pill.

Morphine has an awful lot of self-confidence for someone with such an average face and body. Her butt is not all that!

I like Amanda, I must admit. She needs a lot more polish, but I think she's got a cheerful personality...that is, until Michelle beats it out of her.

I probably stand alone here but while I liked Saffiria's talent routine, I think she was flat on some of the notes in the song. But I'm no opera singer so I am prepared to be schooled if I am wrong.

The more work Derrick Barry has done, the less like Brittney Bitch she looks. In fact, her face is busted if you ask me.

I like the LSFYL by winners. 

When I figure out everyone's names, I may have more opinions! 😉

• Like 6
53 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

I probably stand alone here but while I liked Saffiria's talent routine, I think she was flat on some of the notes in the song. But I'm no opera singer so I am prepared to be schooled if I am wrong.

You're not wrong. I'm not an opera singer either, but I like opera and I've listened to that song many times, by various singers. She was def flat at times.

But that's OK AFAIC, because she did something different, and I'm here for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I like Amanda, I must admit. She needs a lot more polish, but I think she's got a cheerful personality...that is, until Michelle beats it out of her.

I have a feeling that will come very soon. She admitted she was pretty new to drag and her makeup skills aren't up to the quality of most of the queens.  It seems as though many of the queens are willing to help/give advice to her regarding her makeup, according to what I saw on Untucked. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Is anyone else tired of the queens wearing breast plates under their skimpy outfits? I know I was tired of Jimbo always wearing humongous breastplates, but I gather that's part of his shtick, along with the HUGE ass padding. Even the triple titty look was annoying.

But this time I was surprised that after the lip sync challenge, the winner had her breastplate bouncing out of her outfit like a yo-yo during her dance. Yet she won?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind breastplates, just not the exaggerated ones, and once in awhile.

Edited by Chalby
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1

My preference is in between, like regular human sized breasts, rather than the really big ones, or nothing at all.

Although, sometimes nothing at all can be very appealing, depending how it's done.

But super big breasts, not my thing, whoever it is.

• Like 2

Amanda is adorable in her talking heads, so I hope her makeup skills improve rapidly over the next few episodes and she is able to showcase her other talents, especially the wit and comic timing.

I prefer a slightly busted queen who is funny to someone with neat makeup and a silicone ass, or even the polished ones like Willow Dawn or Q.

• Like 5

I think I have finally hit the Drag Race wall. I didn't really enjoy the episode, mainly the judges. The overreactions, the stupid jokes and Michelle's nitpicking over stupid things. ugh

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

As with every new season it's gonna take me a bit to remember their names even with the split premiere format, I can say none of the first group immediately annoyed me as in past seasons. I do like Q and Saphiria so far.

Xunami seemed to me to not know who Nichelle Nichols is when Ru compared the two. I have to keep reminding myself how old OG Star Trek is and how young these contestants usually are.

I like when other queens pop up during an ep, seeing Derrick was nice but I was all in on Love Connie, love her! She was hilarious and reminded me of a neighbor on my street where I grew up, from rollers to slippers to the insistence that you need the Lord to straighten you out. LOL 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

When Amanda first got out of drag, my brain shouted "Vince Van Patten!" To which I answered, "Who?!" Had to google to refresh myself on this old teen heartthrob, but sure enough! I guess somewhere in there, the brain remembers every boy you ever fancied! 🤣

image.png.e480aa08540228141366d9a382766c5e.png

• LOL 5
23 hours ago, Starchild said:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out Amanda's name too lol.

I still haven't figured out yet!

Oh shit! I just got it! I feel like dumb dumb. 

18 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I'm enjoying her too, with the exception of the flappy neck on the breast plate. Girl, where is the illusion?

23 hours ago, Starchild said:

Morphine is just the latest entry in a long line of queens who puts others down to raise herself up. I know it has "entertainment value" but I do not like watching what is essentially bullying, and I hope she doesn't win, despite her obvious talent. She criticized the queen that came after her in the talent show (can't remember who it was). She was like, "What was that?", and I was like, "Bitch she did exactly the same thing you just did!" 

I said the same thing! Morphine was insufferable. Which is a shame, cause I really wanted to like her since she's from Miami. But she's relying a lot on that fake ass, but she wasn't even cinched properly so the ass kinda lost some of it's purpose. 

Kandi Muse's daughter was real basic. Basic performance, basic outfit/reveal.

I hate when the LSFYL is done by the winners. It just never has the same umph for me. The FYL is such a critical part.

• Like 6

Oh, yeah, I forgot to add, when Morphine was unwinding her bathrobe I thought that is one bad tuck. Thought there was a fairly obvious bulge. But again, I don't like her at all so am predisposed to see the worst in her 😉!

• LOL 1
15 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

Oh, yeah, I forgot to add, when Morphine was unwinding her bathrobe I thought that is one bad tuck. Thought there was a fairly obvious bulge. But again, I don't like her at all so am predisposed to see the worst in her 😉!

Since this is the US show, I imagine most folks on this board are in the US, and that many don't watch Drag Race Canada.

The current Canada season has a queen that doesn't tuck at all, Venus, and I have to admit that it has, at times, been distracting. But not overly so.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I hate when the LSFYL is done by the winners. It just never has the same umph for me. The FYL is such a critical part.

I think it can work with two queens who specialize in performance and dance and give it their all, as we saw with the season opener for S12. Okay, with Widow and Gigi's lipsync, as I can't even remember what happened in the other split premiere. Maybe Q was having an off night, but that was a pretty boring performance and -- minority report! -- I really didn't like Saffira's that much, either.

• Like 1

At times I think I have Drag Race burnout but I was still quite entertained by this premiere. No one is really ground breaking but  a nice bunch of queens. 

Amanda Tori Meeting is giving me Miss Congeniality vibes - really sparkly soul who will come and demolish a future All Stars. 

Enjoyed Q and Saffira's talents but am most intrigued by Dawn so far.

Always good to see my homegirl Charlize - on the ready this week with a tray of malva pudding for the werq room. Lekker hey!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was pleasantly surprised by Q- her sewing skills are phenomenal, and her talent literally had me laughing out loud. I also adored Mirage- she seemed like an absolute doll in her talking heads. I think she might fly under the radar for a while and do quite well. 

Dawn and Sapphira were also at the top for me.

Amanda will either be gone very soon or stick around for a while because Ru sometimes likes a messy queen who can make her laugh. 

Xunami Muse is completely underwhelming. Did she forget that the show had started filming with her opening look?

Morphine. Yikes. Well, I guess she likes herself enough for the two of us. If she's going to proclaim herself the body queen of the season she should start wearing flattering costumes. 

• Like 1

Has anybody seen Amanda Tori Meating and C.C. Deville from the hair-metal band Poison in the same room at the same time? Or maybe ATM's mom was a hair-metal groupie back in the day?

The winner (opera singer) was an ok choice. Talent was good. But her outfit was shit. in the front it gave her LONG crotch and in the back it was all floppy around the butt cheeks. Just seemed super sloppy. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3

Upon rewatch, I got a kick out of Xunami's TikTok queens' shade. "They can't perform!" Truer words were never spoken! I feel bad for the coming seven...this group got Charlize Theron and they get...who again?

• Like 1

I was not really impressed with any of the opening looks.  I kept saying to my hubby "ahem...  that was a choice."  

I have totally hit the Ru wall and I'm so bored. I LOVE watching the international versions with different hosts.  I'm not impressed by Canada at all and honestly, only watch it when I can't find anything else to watch, which is why i'm on episode 2.  LOL

Dawn looks just like Willow.  I loved her answers to Ru.  She's super fast and I love that.  

Q was lovely, but she's nothing special.  I didn't think any of them were all that special. 

Amanda Tori Meeting had me dying right away and I loved that it took some people some time to get it.  Makes her name cuter.  She is honestly a delight.

And finally.  Isn't a tsunami a wave, not a wind?  Why is everyone making wind references for Xunami?  

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, hatchetgirl said:

I'm not impressed by Canada at all and honestly, only watch it when I can't find anything else to watch, which is why i'm on episode 2.  LOL

While I can respect that opinion, I'll have you know that I flounce around my office at least once a day announcing that "I'm now realizing that my presence here is much, MUCH bigger than my desire to be here!". And then storm away, to an audience of no one. There are really very few situations in life where one can't throw that one around for general appreciation and/or applause.

We Amanda fans have to ask ourselves this: is she Shangela S3 busted or Spankie Jackzon busted? I heard someone call her runway look "Smucker's Face" and I can't get it out of my head.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

We Amanda fans have to ask ourselves this: is she Shangela S3 busted or Spankie Jackzon busted? I heard someone call her runway look "Smucker's Face" and I can't get it out of my head.

No - Shangela was too abrasive and Spankie too seasoned. I think it's more along the lines of a LaLaRi busted but let's see if Amanda can pull off anything as iconic as the gift bag dress

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 1/8/2024 at 2:54 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

I'll have you know that I flounce around my office at least once a day announcing that "I'm now realizing that my presence here is much, MUCH bigger than my desire to be here!".

This sounds like a reason to watch.  I'll try to muster up the hope... lol

• Like 1