Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: A Strange Situation

• Start Topic

Women from across the globe find love in American prisons.  In Germany, Svea prepares to meet her boyfriend Joseph, for the very first time, despite her mother's reluctance. Single mom, Erin, leaves Australia behind and waits for her incarcerated boyfriend, Michael, to be released from an Ohio prison. In the UK, Emma surprises her family with the news of her imminent US prison wedding to her fiancé, Curtis. 

Original air date 2024.01.10

• Useful 1
On 1/6/2024 at 10:26 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

I cannot wait for this heaping helping of trashy goodness, hope my LAL peeps join me here.

If my power doesn't get knocked out from the storm, I’ll be here. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

If my power doesn't get knocked out from the storm, I’ll be here. 

Sigh. Turns out I don't have Lifetime on YouTube TV. Bummer. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this. I hope its good and trashy.

• Sad 3
6 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Sigh. Turns out I don't have Lifetime on YouTube TV. Bummer. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this. I hope it’s good and trashy.

Maybe there’s an app for Lifetime that you can download and watch the show? Just trying to find a solution to this unfortunate turn of events.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Inmate in talking head: For her to move from Australia to a whole other country to start a life with me takes a strong person.

Me: Or a really stupid one.

Svea didn’t plan to fall in love with Joseph. “It just happened.” <sigh> Btw, he’s her soulmate.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

That’s a wrap. The first episode was a little classier than Love After Lockup, but it looks like things might go downhill when we meet the next set of contestants. I was mistaken wrt the eyelashes—these women just seemed to take a little more care applying them. We’ll see.

• Like 3

These women are all attractive; what is appealing to them about prisoners? The guy headed to the halfway house already seems like he has a short temper. I could never move to a new country and live with someone’s relative I had never met and the woman’s house looked like a hoarder house. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Maybe there’s an app for Lifetime that you can download and watch the show? Just trying to find a solution to this unfortunate turn of events.

I'll see if I can watch online somewhere! Sounds like something I don't want to miss!

• Like 2

Hello, lovies! Just got the chance to watch this and it's going to be fun hanging here with my LAL buddies. Same ridiculous personalities, but with accents! It's like the LAL/90 Day mashup we never knew we needed! I'll try to remember to watch this live with you next week, Auntie!🤗

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
On 1/6/2024 at 9:26 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

I cannot wait for this heaping helping of trashy goodness, hope my LAL peeps join me here.

I have not watched Love After Lock Up (I am familiar with it though), however I still have Frndly from my holiday viewing and it looks so good. Hi everyone!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I never watched Love After Lockup. I got sucked into this because the teevee was on after watching Married at First Sight. This show gives me Sister Wives vibes: just puzzling about why on earth these young, attractive, gainfully employeed women would sign up for this.

The kicker was the Australian woman who left her son behind. Her prisoner is a repeat offender and seems like a jerk with a bad temper. He's also either a liar or just not too bright about his half way house situation. He's not much to look at: the palor of his skin & the dark circles under his eyes suggest substance abuse and/or poor health. I'm at a loss as to what she finds attractive about him. Even he questions it. I wonder about the arrangement he made with her friend in Australia to buy her engagement ring; he supposedly helped pick it out, but surely the friend must have paid for it.

Good Lord. What a trainwreck.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

The kicker was the Australian woman who left her son behind.

That was a kicker. I understand the boy is with his father who no doubt will take good care of him, and I know parents have to leave sometimes for work, to take care of other children etc- but to leave the hemisphere to be in a relationship with someone who’s just been released from prison??

Of course it’s not that these women “can’t” meet local gainfully employed men who would be interested in dating them (I am sure they can). I think it’s something that’s happened in their past that makes the idea of an emotional connection to someone that has NOTHING else to do (prison is very boring even if you’re lucky enough to have a job), but think of them and write to them and wait on pins and needles for their visits and calls. They get to be the center of the universe. 

The young woman from Germany, Svea (what a pretty name, is that a common name in Germany?)  who commented that there is something about being together in person to see if you really "connect" seemed to be self aware. I think if it goes south she will go home and not suffer any long term consequences. She is a midwife she can find work anywhere, and she doesn't have any children, if she wants to try this, no one is being impacted but her

I do believe that people can come out of prison and eventually be ready to make good partners. But it’s not as if these guys were there 6months or a year. 8yrs behind bars will fuck with your mind. You need time to focus on yourself and readjust to society. I said the same thing when Gypsy Rose was doing her documentary- I get why she wanted to get married, but she needed to get herself settled and adjusted back to the outside before she thought about being with someone in a serious way (a life sharing, committed partnership type way).  

• Like 4
(edited)
On 1/12/2024 at 7:02 AM, NowVoyager said:

I never watched Love After Lockup. I got sucked into this because the teevee was on after watching Married at First Sight. This show gives me Sister Wives vibes: just puzzling about why on earth these young, attractive, gainfully employeed women would sign up for this.

The kicker was the Australian woman who left her son behind. Her prisoner is a repeat offender and seems like a jerk with a bad temper. He's also either a liar or just not too bright about his half way house situation. He's not much to look at: the palor of his skin & the dark circles under his eyes suggest substance abuse and/or poor health. I'm at a loss as to what she finds attractive about him. Even he questions it. I wonder about the arrangement he made with her friend in Australia to buy her engagement ring; he supposedly helped pick it out, but surely the friend must have paid for it.

Good Lord. What a trainwreck.

Dude spent almost his entire life in prison. I think she said his last stint was almost 15 years ! He is already yelling at her over the phone and she constantly bursts into tears talking about what a kind man he is while making a tearless passing comment about leaving her kid in Australia. No.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
On 1/10/2024 at 6:31 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

I’m watching. Just so you know.

I’m already noticing the lack of llama length eyelashes.

Svea’s mother looks like she’s seen a thing or two during her life and isn’t buying any b.s.

Svea barely seems to have an accent, her mother def does.

• Like 1