Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Tommy Chong: Up In Smoke on the Dance floor

• Start Topic

Don't know any stoner jokes but...

I hear Tommy has taken salsa lessons with his wife. In someone's post-GMA interview w/Access Hollywood, they said he was looking pretty good in rehearsals.  Whether he'll be able to remember choreography is anyone's guess but he just might surprise us.

• Love 1

Info about Tommy! He's more than just an Up in Smoke dude.

Grammy Award-winning comedian Tommy Chong is legendary for his invaluable contribution to comedy and American counter culture as part of the legendary comedy team Cheech & Chong. During their reign, the twosome recorded six gold comedy albums, including the 1974 Grammy winner “Los Cochinos,” and starred in seven films, most of which Chong co-wrote and directed. After “Up In Smoke,”Cheech and Chongstarred in a string of successful films that remain hugely popular via the rental market. The duo are together again for their third tour since reuniting – the “Up in Smoke Tour,” with select shows with legendary musical group WAR. Tommy also recently just shot the indie film “It’s Gawd!,” scheduled for release later this year.

Chong wrote the book The I Chong: Meditations from the Joint that went on to become a New York Times bestseller. The book chronicles Chong’s arrest for shipping bongs across the country, his days in jail, and the humorous encounters of his 9-month prison stint. The film “I Chong” is a unique chronicle of one man’s life and how his humorous and spiritual point of view saved him during his wrongful incarceration at the hands of an administration without boundaries. The film has won awards such as: Jury Award, Best Documentary -- US Comedy Arts Festival, Audience Award, Best Documentary -- SF Independent Film Festival and was an official selection for the Toronto International Film Festival.

Dancing with Peta Murgatroyd

While I'm way too prudish to 'appreciate' Tommy Chong, I thought Peta really did a routine that suited him, from the Snoop Doggy Dog music to her herbaceous costume to Cheech driving the car filled with smoke effects -- she understood him and his fan base.  She also found moves that he could perform and danced in front of him for the rest of the performance. I really enjoyed it! (Shocked!)

Tommy Chong was a pleasant surprise. His and Peta's Cha-Cha was pure entertainment, from start to finish. Loved everything about it, whether it was the dance itself, the song choice, the costumes, Cheech's cameo or the low rider. Believe it or not, he was even kind of sexy. In that number, Chong was like a "cat daddy," which is a term in the hood for an older man who's still a ladies' man. I don't think he'll make it to the Finals, but I do think he'll get pretty far.

If Tommy makes it through the first elimination, his week 2 dance is Salsa per interview w/Shaun Robinson, Access Hollywood http://www.accesshollywood.com/tommy-chong-says-his-marijuana-use-is-on-hiatus-during-dwts_video_2355637 . Man! This is some kinda funny interview! It'll be interesting to see which friends of his will be in the audience for the first show.

Oh my.  That interview is hysterical!

I really like Tommy Chong; he's like a little ray of light on this somewhat cynically maniuplative show.  Years ago I had a co-worker who was Tommy's first cousin, and spent a fair amount of time around him growing up.  I asked her the stereotypically goofy question: "What is Tommy really like?"  She said he's a super nice guy and what you see is what you get. 

I very much enjoyed his dance, and his chemistry with Peta.  Cheech Marin's cameo was a winner.  I also thought it was endearing during the BHS video clips on results night when Cheech said to Tommy, "You're going to be adorable."   He said it with such sincerity, and as though it was the most natural thing in the world for him to say in context of who he is and in his relationship with Tommy.  That made me smile lots.

• Love 2

I LOVED Tommy Chong's Argentine Tango.  His latest interview with TV is interesting especially the part about pretty much everything on the show is the Producer's idea.  Anyway, I hope he has a good night with the Jive, it won't be organic for him for sure, but I think the  back story for his memorable theme to Jail House Rock is hilarious.Really appreciate the dances that don't take themselves too seriously. 

I LOVED Tommy Chong's Argentine Tango.  His latest interview with TV is interesting especially the part about pretty much everything on the show is the Producer's idea.  

Whoops.  I don't think they actually want him telling anyone that.

I don't think that information is a huge secret.  Anyone that's watched this show for any length of time knows the producers invent all kinds of drama for entertainment value.  About the only thing I believe them about is that they don't actually manipulate votes that have been called/sent in.  Meaning, if someone popular gets voted out, it's because they actually got the fewest amount of votes that week.  Standards and Practices have a chokehold on that sort of thing.

But back to Tommy, at his age, I don't think he gives a tiny rat's posterior what anyone thinks at this point.  Some producer a third his age isn't going to bully him into doing or saying anything he doesn't want.  I doubt he'd say things that could bring up serious legal issues, but revealing a future dance style or that the producers create storylines for the show arc?  Pfft. 

Link to the TV Guide interview:  http://www.tvguide.com/News/Tommy-Chong-Dancing-Stars-DWTS-1087838.aspx.  Loved thispart:

You seem to be one of the audience favorites this season. Are you surprised by all the support you've gotten?

Chong: Not so much surprised as grateful. I'm not taking anything for granted. I'm not taking the fan support for granted. I think the minute you do that, then you lose. The minute you go in there thinking that, oh, you've got it in the bag, that's when it's not in the bag. So, every time I hear people tell me, you know, I'm supporting, I thank them. ... Because I know the only way I can win is with the fan support. I can't win just based on my good looks and talent.

Who came up with the skit for you two, rolling up in that car?

Chong: It was the producers, just from our past reputation. It's the producers that really run that show. I auditioned for the show two years ago, so I think the producers, like all good producers, plan years ahead if they can. And I think when they found out they were going to have Chong on the show, the first thing they did was think of the car and the smoke and what we're noted for. So, I've got to give all the credit and the blame to the producers.

I knew the producers had a lot of say on this show, I was surprised at the extent of the  amount of input on the production numbers.   Cameron Mathieson said a long time ago that EVERYTHING is scripted, and Tommy pretty much re-confirms it in Season 19

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 1

What exactly does he mean when he says he "auditioned" for the show?  My conspiracy theories are running wild?  Makes it sound like there is some sort of dance audition???

I'm wondering if it's just an on-camera interview and not really a true "dance audition." Look at the Pro first auditions that they've been showing this season. Mark, Val, Karina, Cheryl, and Derek were just being interviewed to show producers how their personalities would come across on camera. Val's first interview looked like it took place long before he actually came on for his first full season as a pro.

Edited by missysays

What exactly does he mean when he says he "auditioned" for the show?  My conspiracy theories are running wild?  Makes it sound like there is some sort of dance audition???

I get the sense it's a number of things in one.  First they have to prove they're at least a little bit trainable. Not that the show ACTUALLY gives a shit if they can dance or not, especially with the joke-celebs there just for popularity votes, but they have to be able to at least pull off faking it for a few weeks (except for the one or two people DELIBERATELY cast as cannon fodder--I mean does anyone really cast the likes of Jeffrey Ross or or Buzz Aldrin or Penn Jillette thinking they're going to last all that long?)  Second, I suppose there may be some chemistry tests.  The pros put on this act of never having seen the celebs before the staged first meeting, but I can easily see that being a lie.  I suppose they also want some of the non-actors to prove they can do interviews as well before they cast them.

It is weird when stuff leaks and we learn who wants badly to be on this show (trying sometimes for years), and the flip-side--people who the show has pursued who have turned it down (again, sometimes for years).

I think it's more of an on-camera interview to see if the person is interesting, has some kind of story they can work with, can express themselves and show some kind of personality.  (Probably similar to what the talk shows do until a celebrity has experience doing talk shows.)  They don't want someone who will clam up on live tv.  Then they can use the interviews to match the personalities of the stars and pros.  I've heard they also have to get a checkup with the DWTS doctor to be sure they're physically up to the job (Jennifer Gray talked a little about this in her season). How BDW got through, I'll never understand.

The first meeting is filmed but it often happens well before the public announcement. Rehearsals may start as much as a week before the official announcement.  The stars and pros sometimes do know each other beforehand from other industry events. For instance, Mark and Alfonso became friends when they performed together at a week-long event in the Caribbean a few years ago. I'm sure there are many other examples.

Thanks, kitcloudkicker!   Tommy is cute in that clip, and I must say that Peta is even cuter.  She hasn't ever been one of my favorite pros on the show, but her partnership with Tommy has brought out the best in her for me. 

• Love 1