Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Utopia (US)

Zahdii

I think that if I went on Utopia, I'd take the bare minimum of clothing needed, fill the rest of my box with helpful things for the Utopians, and smuggle in $1000.  (Does Production do cavity searches?)  Then I'd pass on a prewritten note to whomever seemed to be in charge explaining I had the money, and if I stayed past the first eviction, I'd covertly give over the money.  I'd do my best to fit in, work, and not cause a problem.  Since the Utopians nominate who goes up for eviction, I'd hope that my offer of money would be enough to keep me from going on the block.  If that worked, I'd have spent $1000 and even if I left right after the first eviction, I'd have $8,000.  I'd probably be glad to go by that point.  I'm pretty sure that most of them are only staying for the stipend.

The idea of voting people out and replacing them over the course of the year is interesting. The narrator said that no one is going to "win." So when it's over, they all go home and cash their weekly stipends? After watching the premiere, I can't imagine how this will stay on the air for a year. Reading the feed thread is much more interesting than watching the show, and it takes less time. 

• Love 1

I've been reading the recaps of the live feed, which are hilarious. I tried to watch the first episode that aired, but didn't last past 10 minutes because it's obvious that these people don't have any chance of getting along with each other. I was very surprised to see the amount of intervention by Production. I don't see the point of this show being advertised as a 'social experiment' if you can go crying to Mommy and Daddy all the time.

• Love 1

Whoever writes the bios and summaries for the website seems to hate all of the participants. Makes me wonder what the producers were expecting to happen when they chose these people. I'm suspecting they chose participants based on potential for drama and arguing.

Imagine the meeting where the cast was discussed.

Let's have some nudist atheists, and some conservative Christians!

How about some alcoholics, and then we have them run out of booze!

An ex-con, a libertarian, some hippies and some right-wingers! A lawyer! A hillbilly! Are there any communists around?

Animal-loving vegans and hunters!

Got to have a preacher to judge everybody. And a single mom. No, better yet, an unmarried pregnant woman!

We need people who are all about love, and some who are paranoid with anger problems.

Mostly, we need people who are unwilling to listen to each other and unable to compromise!

This isn't about a utopian society, it's about making a tv show!

• Love 5

MY Utopia is -
that the ratings continue to plummet, the show is cancelled, all of production walks away from it, and the participants are still locked in, yelling to get out, nobody is on the other side.  Everyone who was involved in planning the show is fired, so there's nobody to tell them it's over, go home.  The cameras keep rolling, but the show is off the air.  The participants don't know, they continue to act for the cameras, they  think they're becoming famous, they don't  know that NOBODY is watching. 

Then, 6 months from now, some hacker taps into the computer that's still recording all of what goes on, puts that on the internet, and gets better ratings than the original show ever got. 

• Love 6

MY Utopia is -

that the ratings continue to plummet, the show is cancelled, all of production walks away from it, and the participants are still locked in, yelling to get out, nobody is on the other side.  Everyone who was involved in planning the show is fired, so there's nobody to tell them it's over, go home.  The cameras keep rolling, but the show is off the air.  The participants don't know, they continue to act for the cameras, they  think they're becoming famous, they don't  know that NOBODY is watching.

Then, 6 months from now, some hacker taps into the computer that's still recording all of what goes on, puts that on the internet, and gets better ratings than the original show ever got.

Kind of like a Utopian version of the mini-series 'Dead Set'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285482/

• Love 1

My Utopia is Thomas More sues these people from beyond the grave for defamation of the name of one of coolest books ever written.

Saw they properly re-titled the show here on the title card page to Big Brother Outdoors.  Subtitle needs to be added to read something like This Time the Loonies Get Real Weapons.

• Love 4

There is netherland version, not a UK one to my knowledge.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_(televisieprogramma)#Televisie (you can use google trad). The show two third of their viewers but is still on.

I think you're confusing with the UK show Utopia, which is a fantastic show, contrary to this one. The first season was really cool but the second one was all kind of super über mega awesome.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/?ref_=nv_sr_1

To add to the confusion, a US remake is in the pipe ! 

I think you're confusing with the UK show Utopia, which is a fantastic show, contrary to this one. The first season was really cool but the second one was all kind of super über mega awesome.

http://www.imdb.com/...1/?ref_=nv_sr_1

To add to the confusion, a US remake is in the pipe !

That would make for an awesome crossover -- there's a knock on the main gates of Utopia (US Version), a naked Dedeker opens the gate and is confronted by two men, one of whom is wearing a yellow suit, and the other man asks "Where is Jessica Hyde ?".

• Love 1

Ah of course; de Mol always does a Netherlands version first.  I was noticing the Utopia (UK) forum next to this one at P.TV and assumed that was the original version. 

Sounds like the original lost a lot of viewers, but found its niche and stabilized, so I can't imagine the producers thought they were going to have a mega-hit here with the US remake.  The $50M might be an investment (and a drop in the bucket for de Mol, since it only takes one in ten shows to be a breakout hit for him to easily recoup the failed investments), on the idea that having a show that perpetually runs as cultural background noise- like a Big Brother or Voice- will easily pay off the one-time compound and set up costs.

But then Dave happened.  And Josh.  And Red. And Bella.  And Bri.  And... yeah.  Although, since they're churning out two hours of TV a week for $50M, the show could get some pathetic ratings, but steady ones, and stick around.  That's what TV is: if the ad revenue exceeds the costs, you make money, and will only be removed if the network thinks it can find another show that makes even more money per hour in your slot.  But a network will happily run filler that is cheap to produce, and this show- with no big cash prizes or extravagent sets- is a low cost time filler.

God, that gives me chills, but our schadenfreude dreams of a messy, or even quiet, cancellation may not come true.

Edited by hincandenza

Hi. My name is DeLurker and I am a forum addict. It started innocently enough with shows I watched but it has taken a darker turn. I am obsessively haunting a live feed recap for a show that is not worth watching. I tell myself it is The recapper's fault but I know the problem is mine.

So yeah, my name is DeLurker and I am a U-dope-ian.

• Love 12

I don't think five acres in a dry climate like that can provide food for fifteen people.   so they will have to earn money to buy food.

It might be possible to buy food for the group for $1,500 a month - simple foods, bought in bulk.

sell one $50 item per day and you make $1,500 per month.

I think they should get that glass blower guy set up, and start making things!

they could also make jewelry, bracelets, necklaces, and charms and stuff.     create a brand name for the stuff.

they would need to buy some raw materials and tools.  and it might take some time to figure out a process, design some merchandise, then produce and market it.   start now.

-----------------------------

Dave is gone.   I am trying to remember if he did any work while he was there.   Anyone remember?

I think they should get that glass blower guy set up, and start making things!

they could also make jewelry, bracelets, necklaces, and charms and stuff.     create a brand name for the stuff.

they would need to buy some raw materials and tools.  and it might take some time to figure out a process, design some merchandise, then produce and market it.   start now.

-----------------------------

They have adult education classes where I live that include basic glassblowing, intermediate, advanced. the cost for all the start up kit might run about $1500. You could possibly get used stuff for less, but I think if you were doing it for commercial sales, to sell a product that would be good enough to keep drawing customers, you shouldn't cheap out.

For this commercial proposition, you would want a kiln--start at $500. You need ventilators, special types of torches, bottled gas (oh I can see the day Red decides to "borrow acetylene or butane for "a hobby"), tools, safety equipment...etc.

Actually I like the idea: it sells, it would have added value by being a "Utopia souvenir collection piece", the jewelry is super popular right now. But it should have been discussed at the beginning (any money making enterprise needed to be brought up and chosen early) before they blew half their money. By now, he could have made the money to make the equipment and supplies start paying for themselves.

You are absolutely right---they can't feed themselves; so they really can't sell veg and fruit.

They can do a really low-cost home hobby glass blowing for less than $1500. But it will be shoddy, ruin a brand, lose future sales...and I don't think it would work for a year of serious commercial production. Do it right and there would be mail-order from all over. A wasted skill.

Oh we must take in account the Bella Factor---glass blowing will somehow give everyone cancer, or scare the martians away, or tilt the Earth off it's axis. Something.

• Love 1

clod: Just thought of something---instead of some project with materials and shipping costs and hassles...buy the same equipment and sell lessons--glass blowing lessons with an experienced artisan. It's southern California; it would be a good market. Hell it goes well where I live and that's nowhere near Cali.

Still equipment costs, but not much materials, and the lessons around here are for two days per level (just a couple hours a day) and it was $80! And this is low cost of living land here; in that area of the country he might charge $100 bucks easy for 2days couple hours beginner, intermediate advanced---I mean they are going to supposedly be there for a year right?

When you begin the finished product is really wonky looking, so you don't put it in the kiln you can just re-use it. And if he was selling his own stuff to customers what would he do if 500 orders came in? Lessons would lower the stress of meeting orders demand, could be so conveniently scheduled, and be seen as either a useful thing to learn or just one of those "fash" things people do with their friends on the weekend. He could make more money faster and easier.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1
And if he was selling his own stuff to customers what would he do if 500 orders came in?

make stuff first, then sell the items as unique pieces.  .    not mass production.    each piece of blown glass would be slightly different.      

maybe on a website, show a picture of the exact item being offered. 

if the equipment is there, could do both - make unique pieces and sell them , AND give classes.     the sales would help bring in students.

I've been shying away from service concepts where people come into the compound, because it would be distorted by people who just want to (maybe) be on tv.

I considered making videos (DVDs) for sale, but I think  everyone just goes to youtube nowadays

---------------------

if their entrepreneur got on the glassblowing quickly enough, they might be able to rent the equipment.   if someone has the stuff sitting around, they might take 20% of the gross as equipment rental.   or something like that.

there are many possibilities for hand-made jewelry, necklaces, charms, etc.    custom work would be possible.     probably cheaper tools than the glassblowing equipment.   

sprinkle the jewelry with some new age yoga utopian fairy dust and it will sell!

---------------

also, what are they doing with the milk from the cows?

also also,  how soon till people start forming voting "alliances" ?

Edited by clod
also also,  how soon till people start forming voting "alliances" ?

It seems like knee jerk reactions and/or voting with your hormones is the basis of decision making here.

The blown glass idea is interesting, but you just know Red is going to campaign for them to make bongs.

• Love 2

I've thought of this moneymaking thing before. 

Hex is developing a following and although I don't think she's as experienced with a bow as she says, there are probably some people who would come for the tour and want to have a quick and dirty bow lesson with her.

Red has fans, I bet some would like to talk to him about making moonshine.

Bella is worth the cost of admission if you can steer her to her human waste composting toilets, or her circular gardens attracting aliens.  I wouldn't do that myself, because I think Bella has some mental health issues and I wouldn't feel comfortable egging it on.  It's too much like exploitation to me.

Now as to the glass blowing thing, if Chris could tear himself away from Bri long enough, he might ask around to locals who might be willing to set him up with what he needs to start making stuff in exchange for half the profits until his debt is paid off.  I've heard it said that he's made bongs before, but if he could make a small vase or one of those huge marbles I might buy that.

Another problem is, Production has said that they won't be able to sell anything online.  A person would have to go to Utopia if they wanted to buy something.

And without a food handlers permit they're not allowed to serve food to paying customers, much less make food products that are packaged and sold to the general public.

• Love 1

Yeah, I thought about artisan cheese which need less equipment, but there's the license, which requires you to attend class off-site; there's the issue of inspections--that kitchen would never pass; and I'm not thinking they could make enough to cover $1500 a month.

Any endeavor that requires people going on-site from the real world is probably asking for trouble.

Making stuff first, then selling it sounds good; unless it turns out no one orders it and then you can't get back the money invested in glass tubes and sticks.

When you can't go online to sell, that's also making them dependent on local traffic. I bet the locals hate their guts.

Cutting costs needs to start like a week ago. Now they're talking about cabinets? So unnecessary.

I guess they're down to white slavery/human trafficking. Since a good number of them are doing it with strangers already, for free, just need the cost of some business cards to hand out to all these delivery men.

• Love 3

Couldn't they just sell 'a day in Utopia'?

Just charge folks to come in, hang with whoever, walk around, sit in the barn, swim in the lake, etc.

If Aaron could get over boobies, Hex and Deedee could do their naked thing, and pretty much ensure a full house?

I don't get why they'd have to make anything. Just open the gate and charge.

• Love 2

If Aaron could get over boobies, Hex and Deedee could do their naked thing, and pretty much ensure a full house?

I know Aaron can be a jerk, but I feel for him regarding the nudity.  He's not one of the guys getting sexed up night and day, he has no other female population to connect with, yet he's surrounded by sex and female nudity.  I would imagine it's a little frustrating.

• Love 2

One of the social morays I was hoping would be challenged, were this a better show, was the idea that women would be free to be nude, or not, and men would simply have to look, or not. 

I can see that it might be frustrating for him, I guess. But it's not Hex or Deedee's problem if Aaron has a hard time seeing boobs when he has none to play with. I think that is the kind of thinking that has led to the whole 'slut shaming' thing we are dealing with in our culture now, and basically is what Aaron is trying to do to Hex et al.

In the real world, women are often held accountable for men's sexual transgressions, and I see Aaron's petulant demands that they put something on as an extension of that. Their nudity makes him uncomfortable, but rather than confront his own feelings and question himself, he puts it all on the women, demanding they make changes that will increase his personal comfort level.  In my ideal world, women would be free to be any way they wish, and dress or not dress as they saw fit. And men would be completely responsible for their feelings and behaviours, in spite of what the woman was, or wasn't, wearing. 

This one topic is a perfect example of where this show could have gone, and how it could have challenged all kinds of societal ideals we take on face value.

Such a damn shame.

Edited by JustAlison
  • Love 4

Their yoga classes and bootcamps have gotten very low interest, which is surprising to me because I would have thought people would want to be on tv. I know I read that the one guy who signed up for Aaron's bootcamp was a die hard feedster. There have to be some live feedsters from this forum who live near there? If so, please sign up for whatever classes they are running and then you can report back to us on this forum some first-hand info. We'll all think you are cool!

Their yoga classes and bootcamps have gotten very low interest, .....

/

There have to be some live feedsters from this forum who live near there?

the low interest might make them wonder about the popularity of the show......    "Is anyone watching us?"

taskrabbit!     let's hire a person to go in there and take a class, then report on it.    

In my ideal world, women would be free to be any way they wish, and dress or not dress as they saw fit. And men would be completely responsible for their feelings and behaviours, in spite of what the woman was, or wasn't, wearing.

Yes, but these men were not raised in an ideal world, they were raised , and went through puberty, in a world where women's bodies are on display in order to get men's interest.   Yes, men are responsible for their behavior, but sometimes feelings are not as easily controlled or ignored.  

A lot of sexual fetishes, preferences, turn-ons, are based on experiences during puberty, and are not easy to change.  My interpretation is that Aaron is saying that being an environment where women are nude/topless is causing him to have urges that he has to fight - that his internal struggle is making him unhappy and guilty.  He has lived in a society, I assume, where women exposing their breasts in front of him is only done in a sexual context.  He's a product of that conditioning. 

So yes, men and women should be free to dress and behave the way they want, but for the comfort level of all, it might be smarter to have certain areas designated as "clothing optional".  

• Love 4

I wonder if Amanda has influenced Aaron's position on this, either by speaking to him about it or because he noticed her being uncomfortable about it.

is Amanda the only woman who has not been naked?

Edited by clod

the low interest might make them wonder about the popularity of the show......    "Is anyone watching us?"

According to Jokers, one of the Utopians suggested they setup a livestream with paid subscriptions to make money -- they are aware of the live feeds since Farmer Lefty and the vets have been saying that they watch them, so what extra content do they think they people would pay for ?  

I don't think they are necessarily aware of all the nudity and sexual adventures that have made it onto the live feeds. Except for Dedeker who has no problem being nude publicly, have you seen her web site (it's NSFW) ?

One of the social morays I was hoping would be challenged, were this a better show, was the idea that women would be free to be nude, or not, and men would simply have to look, or not. 

I can see that it might be frustrating for him, I guess. But it's not Hex or Deedee's problem if Aaron has a hard time seeing boobs when he has none to play with. I think that is the kind of thinking that has led to the whole 'slut shaming' thing we are dealing with in our culture now, and basically is what Aaron is trying to do to Hex et al.

In the real world, women are often held accountable for men's sexual transgressions, and I see Aaron's petulant demands that they put something on as an extension of that. Their nudity makes him uncomfortable, but rather than confront his own feelings and question himself, he puts it all on the women, demanding they make changes that will increase his personal comfort level.  In my ideal world, women would be free to be any way they wish, and dress or not dress as they saw fit. And men would be completely responsible for their feelings and behaviours, in spite of what the woman was, or wasn't, wearing. 

This one topic is a perfect example of where this show could have gone, and how it could have challenged all kinds of societal ideals we take on face value.

Such a damn shame.

I understand your points.  I get that we live in a patriarchal society in which women are objectified.  I am a straight female, and I personally would need time to become accustomed to the constant female nudity.  I'm not sure if I would ever adjust to couples sexing it up all around me while I'm trying to sleep.

Since we're shaming Aaron, I would like to add Bella.  She stares, drools, and comments on Josh in his little speedo.  She calls it a "banana hammock" and makes comical hand motions, behind his back, showing everyone she wants to grab and fondle his butt.  This all seems to be viewed as good-natured humor.  I certainly wouldn't appreciate it if the roles were reversed.  I guess it could be said that Josh is "asking for what he gets" by wearing next to nothing and parading in front of the ladies.  You get where I'm going here .....

• Love 10

According to Jokers, one of the Utopians suggested they setup a livestream with paid subscriptions to make money -- they are aware of the live feeds since Farmer Lefty and the vets have been saying that they watch them, so what extra content do they think they people would pay for ?  

I don't think they are necessarily aware of all the nudity and sexual adventures that have made it onto the live feeds.

I get the idea about how this would theoretically be a great context in which to challenge slut-shaming, etc.

I mean, if this show was sincerely a "social experiment".

I don't know if the Myopians know how much is making the live feed, and I can believe they thought a live feed by subscription could earn some of their needed money.

But:

I'm cynical, and I wonder if the producers only cast women and men who were likely to do things like get naked and indulge in sexual acts early on, because the live feeds would be a suggestion "prompted" by production as "helping you people get food and supply money" but really earning money for the show. The subscription money may go to the contestants, but the money paid by sponsors putting those ads now popping up on the live feed---THAT money goes to the production co. And the subscription cost is small change compared to the cost paid for a commercial. The price for a commercial is in tens of thousands per ad and the price gets higher with the more people tuning in...a rating that can multiply very well when the draw is sex, full-frontal male and female nudity, and more sex.

I guess that means I have less hope for high ideals still having any connection to this show. I think the whole thing is revealing itself to be a big, drawn-out shell game.

• Love 4

I think one other element has to be addressed as to Aaron objecting to the nudity  - Race. 

Aaron is a Black man, raised in the south.  The women who are walking around topless are white.   This may seem like no big deal in "Utopia", but only a couple decades ago it would have been a huge deal for a Black man to look at a white woman in a sexual manner.  It was 1955 when Emmet Till was killed for flirting with a white woman, and it's not like there haven't been other similar  incidents of violence since that time.   High schools in Mississippi (where Aaron was raised)  had their first integrated prom in  2008!!!!  (and some white parents boycotted it). 

Yes, even in 2014, there are people who disapprove of interracial relationships.     There is still an attitude among some white men that white women are "off limits"  to a black man.    I would bet that Aaron was raised to avoid compromising situations where he might be accused of leering at white women.   

I'm not trying to stir up a race debate, just that Aaron's discomfort at nudity might have some racial elements as well.  It is a shame that the topic isn't being discussed in Utopia, as JustAlison posted.  But Aaron is a product of his upbringing, just as they all are.  

Yes, my vision of Utopia is that these issues would be discussed openly and honestly.  (and intelligently, which means it won't happen on this show). 

• Love 5

A computer was previously approved so why would Production hamstring their labrats by prohibiting them from internet sales?    How is it, exactly, that they're supposed to make money when their consumer base is limited to the five people who seem willing to drive out there?

• Love 1

Just charge folks to come in, hang with whoever, walk around, sit in the barn, swim in the lake, etc.

I would think that there are more than enough people that would want to visit, either out of curiosity, their own sense of fame whoring, or simply to see naked chicks!

As of yesterday, to simplify visitors coming in and out for various reasons, they are switching to this model. They will be "open" from 8am-8pm (or whatever they ultimately decided) and the visitors pay a flat fee and can do what they want, whether it is attend bootcamp, yoga, etc. I think they should buy some simple food in bulk and add in a lunch on the grill cooked by Chef Aaron, charge $10-15 for lunch. If people are there all day, they'll get hungry. In addition, they should add some recreational activities, like basketball, volleyball, cornhole (they can build this, i would think), and maybe some music, as I don't think all people find bootcamp or yoga to be fun. They could also have some fun interactive polls, like have the visitors put in a vote for things like what color the wall of the barn should be painted or suggestions for what to name the new chicken (if there was one). People would feel like they contributed something.

I definitely think they can sell the "Utopia experience" as a product but I got the impression from a conversation between Aaron and Amanda that the producers wanted to discourage this type of income and preferred it was for specific activities. I can see where production wouldn't want it to turn into a circus and then it stops being them living their lives in "Utopia."

I would think that there are more than enough people that would want to visit, either out of curiosity, their own sense of fame whoring, or simply to see naked chicks!

them thar chicks ain't  nekked.  they's covered in feathers!

• Love 1

one of the first things several people did was strip down and swim / sunbathe.    since that's want they want in utopia, that's what they should have.   I hope they stick together when others insist they keep their clothes on.    I will be disappointed if they cave.

Jon is gone now.      I doubt they let him return, because he will have too much information.    I don't know what he was expecting - maybe that everyone would be deferential and happy to let him tell them how to live their lives ?     I think I saw him do a little work, but it doesn't seem like it was a lot of work.

They finally let the chickens out!    That took long enough.     

Edited by clod
one of the first things several people did was strip down and swim / sunbathe.    since that's want they want in utopia, that's what they should have.   I hope they stick together when others insist they keep their clothes on.

The thing is, it's technically supposed to be all of their Utopia.  So if some of them aren't comfortable with the nakedness, they have as much right to expect their ideal to be enforced - or not, as the case may be.  If these people are reasonable (that's a big IF, I know), they'll figure out how to be accommodating to a diverse collection of POV's and maybe set up certain hours or days of the week in which they can have nude sunbathing and other times when they can't.  Hex suggested something like that to accommodate Pastor Jon.  

• Love 4

that sounds like compromise!   I recall Hex suggesting something like that.    but I don't think Jon was going to compromise on the nudity.   not at all.

might be simple to do odd days / even days.

Edited by clod
that sounds like compromise!   I recall Hex suggesting something like that.    but I don't think Jon was going to compromise on the nudity.

Right. Jon didn't compromise on the nudity - at least AFAIK.  It was Hex who suggested to the others that they have an hour a day where they're not nude at the water so that Jon could have some time to enjoy a swim, too.  Jon (again, AFAIK) never demanded anything of the sort, but was just accepting the fact that he wasn't going to be able to swim with them.  He seemed to appreciate that Hex understood his concerns and accommodated them.  Honestly, it was one of the first moments that I really liked both Jon and Hex - because each of them have strong feelings about things, but they also each are able to show courtesy and acceptance of others.  

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 3

Just watched the show--what IDIOT is responsible for editing this thing?!?!?!

I hate to admit it, but the first thing I check on my computer every morning is the live feed report from Utopia.  These people are nuts, and all their numfuckery & skullduggery is tasty fare indeed.  There are plots being hatched right and left, backstabbing, paranoia, outright theft and the amount of lying is off the charts.  Hello, there's someone seriously looking around for aliens!

So what do they show on television?  Ten full minutes devoted to the sad departure of Pastor Jon.  Literally a quarter of the 42 minutes wasted on The Thumb Dilemma and "I feel like we're losing our da-aa-aad."  Well, bullshit, and BORING bullshit, at that.

Saying "thirsty" 50 times and a drag queen twerk?  No wonder the

ratings are tanking.

In fact, there was a "poop eggs" segment that was the most genuine view of the current dynamic.  But in order to appreciate it, you'd have to know how determined people are to be right and how rarely they pool information.  The apathy and lack of cooperation are (to me) the most bizarre elements of the whole shebang--why are they afraid to say that's happening?

So the whole "social experiment" isn't panning out.  They could still have a ratings winner with "$50M Clusterfuck" if they'd just broadcast it.

Edited by candall
  • Love 4

One thought I've been having- since like you, I have an unhealthy attraction to this trainwreck via the Live Feeds thread- is whether we should spin as a new subthread a "How We Would Utopia" forum.

As a card carrying nerd, I find it implausible how on this and other shows where people are in more extreme circumstances (Survivor, Amazing Race, et al) that almost no one studies the basics of getting along. I mean, people still go onto shows like Survivor without knowing how make a fire or build a basic shelter, or go on TAR and can't even drive stick or are paralyzed by heights.

Well, we're all so smart, and we have the Internet, so... how would *we* do things if we were on the show? What would our priorities be, how would we get the farm going, what money making ideas would we have, how would we budget, and how would we organize? What system of organizing or reward/punishment would we use to keep things humming along?

If there's interest, and GenL or other mods want to spin up such a subforum, I'd be interested in hearing from our local posters about there areas of expertise, and sharing my own "Assuming I wasnt plopped among 13 narcissistic idiots..." musings.

And then I suppose Zahdii can capably document the daily disaster of our own infighting and pettiness. :)

• Love 1